In at NYU!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
WrappedUpInBooks
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:19 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:47 pm

Series70 wrote:So, I was asked to submit an official appeal through NYU's finaid website, but was told that my request for an extension past 4/19 was denied. I did the appeal anyway, but unless they decide to match Chicago's offer by the end of the day on Monday, I guess the answer is "no."


I went though some similar shenanigans. Financial aid basically told me that they wouldn't evaluate my appeal until after the deadline... so I had to accept without knowing what my final award would be. Insane.

Try contacting admissions, let them know about your situation - they were able to reevaluate my financial aid and give me a new offer within 2 hours. Good luck!

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby Hey-O » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:25 pm

Anyone else still waiting to hear anything?

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby hannah87 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:38 pm

Hey-O wrote:Anyone else still waiting to hear anything?

:lol: see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=87964

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby neimanmarxist » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:00 pm

I submitted my appeal. I also asked for an extension, no go.
I think I might have to contact admissions on Monday morning in order to get them to process the appeal before I have to deposit.
Anyone else have the 4/19 scholly deadline? that means we have all day Monday, right?

legalnoeagle
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby legalnoeagle » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:20 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:I submitted my appeal. I also asked for an extension, no go.
I think I might have to contact admissions on Monday morning in order to get them to process the appeal before I have to deposit.
Anyone else have the 4/19 scholly deadline? that means we have all day Monday, right?



Yes. But I got drunk on Thursday night and came home and deposited, so um, yeah.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:26 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:
neimanmarxist wrote:I submitted my appeal. I also asked for an extension, no go.
I think I might have to contact admissions on Monday morning in order to get them to process the appeal before I have to deposit.
Anyone else have the 4/19 scholly deadline? that means we have all day Monday, right?



Yes. But I got drunk on Thursday night and came home and deposited, so um, yeah.

I can't wait to go to school with you :D

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby clintonius » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:25 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
legalnoeagle wrote:
neimanmarxist wrote:I submitted my appeal. I also asked for an extension, no go.
I think I might have to contact admissions on Monday morning in order to get them to process the appeal before I have to deposit.
Anyone else have the 4/19 scholly deadline? that means we have all day Monday, right?
Yes. But I got drunk on Thursday night and came home and deposited, so um, yeah.
I can't wait to go to school with you :D

Seconded.

legalnoeagle
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby legalnoeagle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:02 pm

clintonius wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
legalnoeagle wrote:
neimanmarxist wrote:I submitted my appeal. I also asked for an extension, no go.
I think I might have to contact admissions on Monday morning in order to get them to process the appeal before I have to deposit.
Anyone else have the 4/19 scholly deadline? that means we have all day Monday, right?
Yes. But I got drunk on Thursday night and came home and deposited, so um, yeah.
I can't wait to go to school with you :D

Seconded.



Thankfully I woke up on Friday morning with absolutely zero regrets; the decision had been made days earlier, but for whatever reason it took a little liquid courage to get me to finally pull the $600 trigger.

User avatar
haroldfordIII
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:56 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby haroldfordIII » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:07 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:I submitted my appeal. I also asked for an extension, no go.
I think I might have to contact admissions on Monday morning in order to get them to process the appeal before I have to deposit.
Anyone else have the 4/19 scholly deadline? that means we have all day Monday, right?


I'm in the same boat. They are still evaluating my appeal, but I basically HAVE to submit by tomorrow. Does that mean that the appeal is null and void b/c I loose all of my leverage? I hope not....

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby neimanmarxist » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:16 pm

nullandvoid:
this is exactly the problem. I mean, if I enroll, then I've theoretically agreed to withdraw from the school that offered me the giant scholly. So why would they give me more money? Le sigh.

I'm stressed about waiting 'til tomorrow to submit deposit and intent to enroll form and they'll say, "well, it's 4/19 so too late." But I just asked someone who told me that By always means "at or before" so we still have the day monday to try and do what we need to do.
I want to call admissions like the person at the top of this page did and see if I can't get them to re-negotiate my scholarship quickly. Rumor has it they are also nicer about granting extensions.

User avatar
haroldfordIII
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:56 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby haroldfordIII » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:16 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:nullandvoid:
this is exactly the problem. I mean, if I enroll, then I've theoretically agreed to withdraw from the school that offered me the giant scholly. So why would they give me more money? Le sigh.

I'm stressed about waiting 'til tomorrow to submit deposit and intent to enroll form and they'll say, "well, it's 4/19 so too late." But I just asked someone who told me that By always means "at or before" so we still have the day monday to try and do what we need to do.
I want to call admissions like the person at the top of this page did and see if I can't get them to re-negotiate my scholarship quickly. Rumor has it they are also nicer about granting extensions.


Yah, it sucks. I think I will sign today/tomorrow morning. This seems like a bad game of chicken (for us). The difference b/t the schollys aren't that much for me, but I would second guess myself if I left any money on the table, so to speak. I should have appealed earlier.

I did talk to the fin aid office. The lady said that the appeals process is separate from me accepting the offer, and that the appeal could be granted after the fact. Not sure how likely this is, because all of our leverage is gone. She stressed that if you DON'T accept the offer by the due date, and if the appeal is not granted, then you loose everything. :shock:

Is the difference between your scholly's material enough to sway your decision elsewhere?

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby neimanmarxist » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:29 pm

I'm not going elsewhere. I just want more money. (where's the 'greed' emoticon? ) I'll sign tomorrow morning once i get confirmation from the admissions office that they can't do anything else for me NOW . Did you read the post by wrappedupin books, at the top of this page? People HAVE had success getting an extension and they have had success getting a new fin aid package. It totally makes me nervous to wait until the 11th hour though.

User avatar
haroldfordIII
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:56 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby haroldfordIII » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:41 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:I'm not going elsewhere. I just want more money. (where's the 'greed' emoticon? ) I'll sign tomorrow morning once i get confirmation from the admissions office that they can't do anything else for me NOW . Did you read the post by wrappedupin books, at the top of this page? People HAVE had success getting an extension and they have had success getting a new fin aid package. It totally makes me nervous to wait until the 11th hour though.


LOL at greed emoticon...it seems like TLS should have one.

Yah, I read it. My only hesitation is that they couldn't get anything turned around in time. Also, I don't want to burn bridges/ruffle feathers in the fin aid office by going over their heads. I'm 99.9% sure I'll be at NYU, unless I get a last minute nod from CLS or H (they haven't responded yet).

Is your offer from a "peer" school?

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby neimanmarxist » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:49 pm

what qualifies as' peer'? it's lower on down the line, if that's what you're asking. But it's enough money that i feel it is a credible threat.

I would not be trying to get more monies out of the NYU if Yale were ponying up twice as much to entice me to go. the preposterousness of yale courting me like that just made me giggle . :mrgreen:

User avatar
haroldfordIII
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:56 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby haroldfordIII » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:52 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:what qualifies as' peer'? it's lower on down the line, if that's what you're asking. But it's enough money that i feel it is a credible threat.

I would not be trying to get more monies out of the NYU if Yale were ponying up twice as much to entice me to go. the preposterousness of yale courting me like that just made me giggle . :mrgreen:


lol, fair point.

I would say that "peer" is anything in the CCN group on up. I'm with you though in that I'm comparing a school outside (below) that group, but still a T14.

mwazaumoja
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby mwazaumoja » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:23 pm

People commonly put down deposits at multiple schools. You don't exactly lose your leverage just because you put down a deposit, they just figure that makes your chance of coming that much more certain.

If you got into say, Berkeley or CLS or (dare I say) Harvard and really wanted to go, you could just tell them you were no longer interested and lose the $600 you put down.

NYCbound
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby NYCbound » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:57 pm

so the consensus is that if we have to reply "by april 19th" we have all of the 19th? I'm in the same boat as many others hoping for a last minute negotiation

mwazaumoja
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby mwazaumoja » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:20 pm

NYCbound wrote:so the consensus is that if we have to reply "by april 19th" we have all of the 19th? I'm in the same boat as many others hoping for a last minute negotiation


Personal Anecdote: At ASW at NYU they told us that the financial aid offices at both schools talked.

Two days after the deadline to put down money at NYU (which I did), Columbia sent me a letter telling me that they had matched the offer NYU had given me..... They'll keep doing messed up stuff even after you put down your money just to keep you feeling doubt.

User avatar
haroldfordIII
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:56 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby haroldfordIII » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:23 pm

NYCbound wrote:so the consensus is that if we have to reply "by april 19th" we have all of the 19th? I'm in the same boat as many others hoping for a last minute negotiation


I would say yes based on the language.

Disclaimer: I've submitted and will be sending in the deposit tomorrow AM.

doomcannon
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby doomcannon » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:40 am

mwazaumoja wrote:People commonly put down deposits at multiple schools. You don't exactly lose your leverage just because you put down a deposit, they just figure that makes your chance of coming that much more certain.

If you got into say, Berkeley or CLS or (dare I say) Harvard and really wanted to go, you could just tell them you were no longer interested and lose the $600 you put down.


Is it really OK to do this? It's something that NYU's speed-dating approach is making me consider. I still have a few loose ends that I'd like to tie up, but I wonder about the requirement that I have withdrawn from all other schools.

Also, is this kind of pressure sell common for scholarship offers at top schools? It didn't happen to me anywhere else.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby CG614 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:57 am

doomcannon wrote:
mwazaumoja wrote:People commonly put down deposits at multiple schools. You don't exactly lose your leverage just because you put down a deposit, they just figure that makes your chance of coming that much more certain.

If you got into say, Berkeley or CLS or (dare I say) Harvard and really wanted to go, you could just tell them you were no longer interested and lose the $600 you put down.


Is it really OK to do this? It's something that NYU's speed-dating approach is making me consider. I still have a few loose ends that I'd like to tie up, but I wonder about the requirement that I have withdrawn from all other schools.

Also, is this kind of pressure sell common for scholarship offers at top schools? It didn't happen to me anywhere else.

This is highly frowned upon and some schools prohibit it all together. CLS has a note that says they reserve the right to rescind the offer if you multiple deposit.

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby neimanmarxist » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:24 am

.
Last edited by neimanmarxist on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby neimanmarxist » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:26 am

IMPORTANT NEWS FOR EVERYONE WITH A 4/19 SCHOLLY DEADLINE @ NYU:

I just talked to the financial aid office. What I understand from what they told me is that that regardless of whether you get your appeal or not, you must submit your intent to enroll and deposit before the end of the business day. They are trying to get the re-negotiated offers out as fast as they can. So if you thought you had until 9 p.m. or something, you don't .

User avatar
haroldfordIII
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:56 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby haroldfordIII » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:10 am

neimanmarxist wrote:IMPORTANT NEWS FOR EVERYONE WITH A 4/19 SCHOLLY DEADLINE @ NYU:

I just talked to the financial aid office. What I understand from what they told me is that that regardless of whether you get your appeal or not, you must submit your intent to enroll and deposit before the end of the business day. They are trying to get the re-negotiated offers out as fast as they can. So if you thought you had until 9 p.m. or something, you don't .


If you accept the scholly online, can you snail mail the deposit/intent? It will be postmarked today and be there tomorrow...

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby neimanmarxist » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:13 am

that you'd have to call and ask them about. I plan to just spend the $12 to deposit online.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaron1621, Chipotle85, combatboots33, ellielaw, Google Adsense [Bot], notnecessarilyproper, oliviaj_j, Outis Onoma, piesandcookies, reydingo, URM_lawnerd and 19 guests