In at NYU!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BenJ

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby BenJ » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:16 pm

ferris1127 wrote:Yikes scary. What is the turnaround time for offer to the dates they make you accept by? Sorry if someone already asked and I missed it. I should be getting my finaid "package" in the next few weeks. Also, if I've already emailed them with an offer from another school, should I send them /another offer from another school which is ranked higher, or am I just pestering? More info the better, or strategic contacting?

More info is better, but you might want to keep some info back for negotiating. I suspect you'll get your decision at the beginning of next week after the deadline has passed for everyone who didn't request or get an extension.

The only people who have gotten aid so far all got it at the same time early in March (not remembering the exact date), so it's hard to say when to expect the deadline for the next round of aid. My guess is that they will try to get people to deposit right after their last ASW, though, so as to beat some of the last rounds of decisions from HYS.

Billy Blanks

Postby Billy Blanks » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:19 pm

BenJ wrote:Ouch.

When you get to the award page, there's a little box to check to say that you accept the award and will be submitting your deposit. (There's also a box to decline the award.) Don't check the box until you're depositing, everyone. The check box was not necessary to view the award. (I just went back and confirmed this; it's all there and even has my deadline date changed from 4/2 to 4/7.)

There is a PDF linked to above the buttons. That contains a description of your award.

Serious ouch. Also, I second that the award was in a PDF (no boxes to check), which was locked with a super-special password that I'm sure half the law schools use. The check boxes were somewhere else. I don't have any advice, though. I mean, you could tell NYU that it was all a mistake and that's why you haven't submitted your intent to enroll. In fact, I believe the checkbox to accept the scholarship uses the past tense when referring to putting down your deposit and intent to enroll, in which case you might be able to argue that it doesn't apply.

Good luck.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:21 pm

Billy Blanks wrote:
BenJ wrote:Ouch.

When you get to the award page, there's a little box to check to say that you accept the award and will be submitting your deposit. (There's also a box to decline the award.) Don't check the box until you're depositing, everyone. The check box was not necessary to view the award. (I just went back and confirmed this; it's all there and even has my deadline date changed from 4/2 to 4/7.)

There is a PDF linked to above the buttons. That contains a description of your award.

Serious ouch. Also, I second that the award was in a PDF (no boxes to check), which was locked with a super-special password that I'm sure half the law schools use. The check boxes were somewhere else. I don't have any advice, though. I mean, you could tell NYU that it was all a mistake and that's why you haven't submitted your intent to enroll. In fact, I believe the checkbox to accept the scholarship uses the past tense when referring to putting down your deposit and intent to enroll, in which case you might be able to argue that it doesn't apply.

Good luck.

Sogui that blows :(

Billy Blanks!!! I love your sn. I did Billy Blanks's tae bo video twice this week. SO SORE!!!

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:45 pm

Sogui wrote:So now I'm wondering what are my odds of being able to basically break out of my "contract" with NYU and not be forced to withdraw from my other schools tomorrow, I've already contacted the appropriate people at NYU and am waiting for a response there. Dean's Scholly isn't the worst thing in the world Xero but I really would like to get more financial aid info before I make a decision. Already I have a T20 option that would cost me less than 1/3rd of NYU law as well as a wild-card aid package from CLS.

Did you contact them by e-mail or phone?

As someone else said, the acceptance of the award does say in the past tense that you've already submitted the intent to enroll. So the fact that you accepted the award three weeks ago but have yet to submit the accompanying intent to enroll should support your "I didn't know what I was clicking" claim. More importantly, you requested an extension of the deadline! (And threatened to withdraw if not granted the extension.) It should be pretty clear to them that this is an honest mistake.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:55 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Sogui wrote:So now I'm wondering what are my odds of being able to basically break out of my "contract" with NYU and not be forced to withdraw from my other schools tomorrow, I've already contacted the appropriate people at NYU and am waiting for a response there. Dean's Scholly isn't the worst thing in the world Xero but I really would like to get more financial aid info before I make a decision. Already I have a T20 option that would cost me less than 1/3rd of NYU law as well as a wild-card aid package from CLS.

Did you contact them by e-mail or phone?

As someone else said, the acceptance of the award does say in the past tense that you've already submitted the intent to enroll. So the fact that you accepted the award three weeks ago but have yet to submit the accompanying intent to enroll should support your "I didn't know what I was clicking" claim. More importantly, you requested an extension of the deadline! (And threatened to withdraw if not granted the extension.) It should be pretty clear to them that this is an honest mistake.

I phoned and was told to email an the Dean of Admissions (no pressure right?)

Sent the email, and I feel it covers all the points. I mean it's pretty clear on their end that it was a mistake. On the other hand I just got a completely out-of-the-blue $50,000 finaid package from Columbia, it's a significant amount short but enough to making CLS a #1 choice for me.

j nyc

Postby j nyc » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:48 pm

-
Last edited by j nyc on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:33 pm

As of yesterday, I'm in "final stages of review" for financial aid. Anyone else?

Thinking for those of who who haven't gotten an offer yet, we'll hear something next week after the first deadline passes.

I'm not expecting any money. If I get lucky, it'll be the 10-10-5 one, I figure. I am interested to see what NYU calculates as my assumed student contribution, which will determine how strong my potential LRAP benefit could be.

mh7777

Postby mh7777 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:54 pm

scribelaw wrote:As of yesterday, I'm in "final stages of review" for financial aid. Anyone else?

Thinking for those of who who haven't gotten an offer yet, we'll hear something next week after the first deadline passes.

I'm not expecting any money. If I get lucky, it'll be the 10-10-5 one, I figure. I am interested to see what NYU calculates as my assumed student contribution, which will determine how strong my potential LRAP benefit could be.

I'm also in the final stages of review. Been there for over two months now.

NYCbound

Postby NYCbound » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:28 pm

are awards typically need-based at NYU and columbia?

smov_operator

Postby smov_operator » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:31 pm

NYCbound wrote:are awards typically need-based at NYU and columbia?

Many, if not most schools, claim to assess need. But the only top schools that divide aid out based primarily on need are SYH.

NYCbound

Postby NYCbound » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:19 pm

So i could possibly get aid from NYU or columbia even if my parents are wealthy? (they aren't giving me a dime, and this is a big issue for me..)

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:36 pm

I think it's more likely for people to receive no merit aid despite personal and familial destitution than to get funding when your parents are wealthy.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:53 pm

NYCbound wrote:So i could possibly get aid from NYU or columbia even if my parents are wealthy? (they aren't giving me a dime, and this is a big issue for me..)

Well, since you are going to graduate school, you officially count as independent. But a lot of schools don't treat it that way. Also, it depends on your age. If your parents are wealthy, but you are 33, then the school will be somewhat more likely to give you need-aid. Based on my experiences this cycle, I feel like there basically is no need aid (I'm talking non YHS but still T14): there is just merit aid said to be need aid. Now, I'm not complaining. But it just seems that way to me given that some schools have given me nice packages when they want my numbers, and others haven't when they have higher medians. Maybe I'm just a bad sample though.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:11 pm

sumus romani wrote:I feel like there basically is no need aid (I'm talking non YHS but still T14): there is just merit aid said to be need aid.

I think this is exactly right. It makes a certain kind of sense; when most students at a school are going to borrow $150,000+ to attend, why distinguish among them based on "need?" Almost nobody is so "needless" that they can pay for school out of pocket, and most people have to plan on paying back an enormous debt, whether via biglaw or LRAP. I don't really see how it makes much difference whether you're from an impoverished or merely middle-class background, since law school is "too expensive" on its face for most people.

But if this IS the case, it would be nice to see more transparency about it from the schools....

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:00 pm

NYCbound wrote:So i could possibly get aid from NYU or columbia even if my parents are wealthy? (they aren't giving me a dime, and this is a big issue for me..)

NYU offers some scholarships that are strictly merit-based. However, I think all of these awards may have been already given out. Columbia offers only need-based aid supposedly (other than their named scholarships, which all go out in late January/early February), but in fact at least some of their aid is definitely merit-based. I can attest to that personally.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:52 pm

So, did people end up taking their NYU scholarship offers? Today was the deadline, right?

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:09 pm

scribelaw wrote:So, did people end up taking their NYU scholarship offers? Today was the deadline, right?

I declined. I better frickin' love Chicago...

ravens20

Postby ravens20 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:18 pm

j nyc wrote:nyu gave me a generous extension... and then today columbia sent my financial package via email. a solid award, but looks as though i will be attending nyu next year!

good luck to everyone else -- hope the deadlines and $$$ offers work out.

Awesome man. Hope to see you next year.

WrappedUpInBooks

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:22 pm

I really want to go to NYU, but Columbia gave me twice the $$.

I've let NYU know about this, I hope they come through for me!

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:20 pm

I got $$ from NYU and my parents are wealthy(and paying for me).... that said, I imagine part of this was to do with that fact that as an int student I can't take out loans so my parents paying is literally the only way I could go to law school.

jasmoon

Postby jasmoon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:30 pm

scribelaw wrote:So, did people end up taking their NYU scholarship offers? Today was the deadline, right?

I didn't. Plan on withdrawing soon. $50,000, coupled with the limited amount of time to decide, was not enough to sway me.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:35 pm

Hi,

Congrats on your acceptances and on all your financial aid awards!

I'm writing because I just got my award and it says that I have to decide by 4/19. There are a number of schools I haven't had a final decision from yet. Should I ask for an extension now, or closer to the date?

Also, I had very generous offers of aid from other schools during the time that NYU was deciding on my package- so I didn't get the chance to tell them about the awards. Has anyone else tried to negotiate a better aid package *after* they received their award amount? Did it work?

Thanks for your input and maybe I'll see you there next year :)

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:40 pm

Just got my award today, and I'm shocked that I received any $$$ at all. The letter, however, is vaguely worded. Does accepting the scholarship mean I have to withdraw from all other schools to which I've applied---even those that have not yet rendered a decision (I'm looking at you CLS and Harvard :| )? What about schools that have waitlisted you?

I'm assuming yes on both, but wanted to survey the TLS crew as well.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:40 pm

So did everyone who is getting money in the second wave hear today?

Le sigh. I'm guessing it's sticker-or-bust for me.

sikwitt

Postby sikwitt » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:49 pm

ravens20 wrote:
j nyc wrote:nyu gave me a generous extension... and then today columbia sent my financial package via email. a solid award, but looks as though i will be attending nyu next year!

good luck to everyone else -- hope the deadlines and $$$ offers work out.

Awesome man. Hope to see you next year.

Ravens you're in for sure? I sent my seat deposit last week.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”