In at NYU!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BenJ

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby BenJ » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:48 am

Dtackpat75 wrote:Has anyone actually receieved an extension yet? Or heard back whether or not they are getting one?

Nope. I emailed them yesterday to tell them how much I loved their ASW and NYU as a whole and saying that I hoped to get a decision soon because the deadline is approaching.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:19 pm

I don't know if anyone here went to the financial aid presentation at the ASW, but they said something interesting for those of us coming from the workforce: They assume you cash out your 401K (less the penalties) and contribute it as an assumed student contribution. Nominally this isn't a big deal, because you can just borrow whatever they assume you will contribute. But if you want to use LRAP, it ends up mattering a lot, because your assumed student contribution won't be covered if you decide to take out loans for that portion. Kinda sucks, and is another example of how the small print of LRAPs ends up whittling down the benefit.

s419

Postby s419 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:17 pm

I received confirmation/approval of my scholarship deadline extension request today via email. Request sent about a week ago (I think).

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:22 pm

So it can happen although I did asl for mine on the 12th so that makes me a little nervous. Congrats!

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:27 pm

Dear nixxers,

Thank you for submitting your request for an extension of the Intent to Enroll and Tuition Deposit Deadline. I have reviewed your request and regret to inform you that we are unable to provide you with an additional extension.

As our resources are limited and we wish to allocate this funding to those that will attend NYU School of Law, in order to secure your scholarship funding, we require that you submit your Intent to Enroll and Tuition Deposit no later than 04/02/2010.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

:roll: Withdrawing.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:37 pm

DIBS ON THAT 60K

CALLED IT

GordonCole

Postby GordonCole » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:39 pm

BenJ wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:Has anyone actually receieved an extension yet? Or heard back whether or not they are getting one?

Nope. I emailed them yesterday to tell them how much I loved their ASW and NYU as a whole and saying that I hoped to get a decision soon because the deadline is approaching.

I got an extension to April 12th about two weeks ago. I think it might be because I'm attending the admitted student program on the 8th and 9th.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:40 pm

clintonius wrote:DIBS ON THAT 60K

CALLED IT

lol, i'll make a special provision in my withdrawal email for ya ;)

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:51 pm

They gave me an extension to 4/7. This seems to be ridiculously arbitrary. I'll get to hear about Columbia FinAid but not actually visit Columbia. Oh well, nice to have it put off for a few days. Maybe Columbia will be generous with the aid, and I can negotiate up at NYU.

muahawhawhaw

Postby muahawhawhaw » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:20 pm

My request for an extension- rejected. Now really biting my nails hoping Columbia gets my finaid decision to me in the next two days.

lsathalon

Postby lsathalon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:30 pm

My deadline is extended to April 7...which means I cannot visit Chicago before I decide. I love NYU, and I'm fairly comfortable attending NYU without seeing Chicago...but it would have been nice to be absolutely sure, which I could have been if I could attend Chicago's ASW!

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:37 pm

My request was denied. Now I'm pissed. Can we pass up the scholarship but still enroll at a later date?

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:04 pm

summerschooled wrote:My request was denied. Now I'm pissed. Can we pass up the scholarship but still enroll at a later date?

That was the impression I got. Sucks though. So many things NYU does I just don't understand...

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:19 pm

lsathalon wrote:My deadline is extended to April 7...which means I cannot visit Chicago before I decide. I love NYU, and I'm fairly comfortable attending NYU without seeing Chicago...but it would have been nice to be absolutely sure, which I could have been if I could attend Chicago's ASW!

Good. I'm still waiting for my answer from Chicago! :D They say Chicago is "the NY of the Midwest". lol.

jitsrenzo

Postby jitsrenzo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:29 pm

Last edited by jitsrenzo on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:36 pm

wackjickham wrote:
summerschooled wrote:My request was denied. Now I'm pissed. Can we pass up the scholarship but still enroll at a later date?

That was the impression I got. Sucks though. So many things NYU does I just don't understand...

Agreed. All this BS is really doing is pushing me toward Chicago. Which, I guess, isn't the worst position to be in.

hesitantstyle

Postby hesitantstyle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:42 pm

summerschooled wrote:
wackjickham wrote:

Agreed. All this BS is really doing is pushing me toward Chicago. Which, I guess, isn't the worst position to be in.

I'm in the same boat, 'schooled. Except no $ from Chi. Who says you can't just put the deposit down and then revoke if you change your mind in the next two weeks? I see nothing in the wording of the scholarship letter that requires you to withdraw from other schools if you put down your deposit. In fact, they say you can stay on the waitlist. Am I the only one contemplating this?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:53 pm

"I plan to enroll at NYU School of Law in Fall 2010. I have no commitment to attend another law school, have not deferred enrollement at another law school, will not apply to another law school, and have withdrawn from other law schools to which I was admitted," sayeth the enrollment form. The bold is theirs, not mine. However, this is the regular deposit form, and it's possible that there is a different and more lenient one for scholarship recipients.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:42 pm

I asked for a deadline request to 4/14 today, but I said quite clearly that I would have to withdrawal if they couldn't provide any kind of extension.

I'm REALLY curious as to why some people got deadline got extensions and others didn't

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Maybe it had to do with how much I nagged them. Did the people who got denied for an extension visit NYU?

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:20 pm

clintonius wrote:"I plan to enroll at NYU School of Law in Fall 2010. I have no commitment to attend another law school, have not deferred enrollement at another law school, will not apply to another law school, and have withdrawn from other law schools to which I was admitted," sayeth the enrollment form. The bold is theirs, not mine. However, this is the regular deposit form, and it's possible that there is a different and more lenient one for scholarship recipients.

But this language does allow you to stay on waitlists and keep your apps in at schools where they're still pending. You only have to withdraw at schools where you were already accepted. I dunno which case hesitantstyle was talking about, of course.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:24 pm

"no $ from Chi" led me to believe that s/he has already gotten a fin aid letter, which comes after an acceptance.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:28 pm

Does anyone know how long after filling out the FAAPs does an offer usually arrive and in what sense (email/snail)?

hesitantstyle

Postby hesitantstyle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:42 pm

BenJ wrote:Maybe it had to do with how much I nagged them. Did the people who got denied for an extension visit NYU?

Twice!

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:27 pm

BenJ wrote:Maybe it had to do with how much I nagged them. Did the people who got denied for an extension visit NYU?

I didn't visit and I really hope they give me my extension. I used pretty uncompromising language and let them know that I would withdraw this Friday if there was no extension.

Looks like a high noon showdown with NYU, I'll let y'all know who blinks first.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”