In at NYU!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kumba84

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby kumba84 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:00 pm

Has anyone gotten a "you are a finalist" email for the environmental/land use scholars program? I haven't been told I'm NOT a finalist, but it seems to be getting pretty late.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:04 pm

Applied back in late October, and I called up a few days ago. They said a decision hasn't even been made yet. What a joke. No need for it to take this long.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:05 pm

kumba84 wrote:Has anyone gotten a "you are a finalist" email for the environmental/land use scholars program? I haven't been told I'm NOT a finalist, but it seems to be getting pretty late.

R. Hood was told he was a finalist.

I was told I was NOT a finalist.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:43 pm

Hey guys, remember when I asked for an extension on my deadline? This is what I got today:

Asma Jeffreys wrote:Dear nixxers,

In order to consider your request for a scholarship extension you have to register for the April 8 and 9 Admitted Student Day Events. You can do this by contacting the Office of JD Admissions or through the Admitted Student website.

If you have any questions feel free to contact us.

well... I can't go to the admitted student day events, which is why I visited NYU separately, not that they care. So I said that if my not being able to attend the events means they will not consider my request, then I will have to regretfully withdraw.

...take that, new york universiTTTy!

::cries:: i really liked nyu though. boo. hiss.

existenz

Postby existenz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:47 pm

nixxers wrote:well... I can't go to the admitted student day events, which is why I visited NYU separately, not that they care. So I said that if my not being able to attend the events means they will not consider my request, then I will have to regretfully withdraw.

Could you register and then just not show up? Their response doesn't indicate that you have to be at the event, does it?

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:48 pm

existenz wrote:
nixxers wrote:well... I can't go to the admitted student day events, which is why I visited NYU separately, not that they care. So I said that if my not being able to attend the events means they will not consider my request, then I will have to regretfully withdraw.

Could you register and then just not show up? Their response doesn't indicate that you have to be at the event, does it?

Yeah. I assumed they're just looking for a (fairly meaningless) commitment.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:49 pm

existenz wrote:

Unclear. Maybe she'll write back and say "Just register," but I don't want to be deceitful either.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:49 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
existenz wrote:

Yeah. I assumed they're just looking for a (fairly meaningless) commitment.

Hmm...true. Perhaps....

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:57 pm

nixxers wrote:Hey guys, remember when I asked for an extension on my deadline? This is what I got today:

Asma Jeffreys wrote:Dear nixxers,

In order to consider your request for a scholarship extension you have to register for the April 8 and 9 Admitted Student Day Events. You can do this by contacting the Office of JD Admissions or through the Admitted Student website.

If you have any questions feel free to contact us.

well... I can't go to the admitted student day events, which is why I visited NYU separately, not that they care. So I said that if my not being able to attend the events means they will not consider my request, then I will have to regretfully withdraw.

...take that, new york universiTTTy!

::cries:: i really liked nyu though. boo. hiss.

Boo. I'm currently signed up for the late March ASW but could change to the April ASW if that's what they need. (It would actually help since I would attend the Columbia ASW around the same time (although the March ASW is during my Spring Break while the April one would involve missing classes).

They haven't gotten back to me yet, but I asked them a few days after you did.
Last edited by BenJ on Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:00 pm

Yeah, that might work - good luck.

On another note, cat tars ftw :P

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:03 pm

Anyone have any idea how long a scholarship appeal should take? It says it is under review right now.

jasonportwood

Postby jasonportwood » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:18 pm

nixxers wrote:nixxers wrote:

I might be missing something, but I assume they just want something to show you are seriously interested in attending NYU. Couldn't you do that (honestly) by saying you're unable to attend those ASDs but because of that you already visited campus? Added with a few reflections on what you learned/liked from your visit, I can't imagine they would turn it down.

But then again, i'm a newbie at this scholarship game.

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:21 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Anyone have any idea how long a scholarship appeal should take? It says it is under review right now.

I submitted mine on Friday and am still waiting. Hopefully this week.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:45 pm

K just got a response. I was kidding NYU you are not a ttt! :)

She misread my initial email that said that I had already visited, so they are still considering my request. Yay, they do care that I had already visited. Word. ::no longer has the sadz::

jitsrenzo

Postby jitsrenzo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:16 pm

Did anyone get one of the scholarships? PM me

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:39 pm

Dtackpat75 wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Anyone have any idea how long a scholarship appeal should take? It says it is under review right now.

I submitted mine on Friday and am still waiting. Hopefully this week.

I would assume 2-3 weeks.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:24 pm

I got a response to my request for an extension to the deadline this week, but all they wanted was clarification on whether I was waiting on financial aid decisions or admissions decisions at other schools. I told them truthfully that I was waiting on both--Columbia's financial aid and admissions at HYS and Chicago. Hopefully I didn't shoot myself in the foot with admitting the latter. I did try to make clear that I would be seriously considering NYU regardless of what other options come up.

Edit: Their response: Which schools are you waiting to hear from? I told them.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:47 am

BenJ wrote:I got a response to my request for an extension to the deadline this week, but all they wanted was clarification on whether I was waiting on financial aid decisions or admissions decisions at other schools. I told them truthfully that I was waiting on both--Columbia's financial aid and admissions at HYS and Chicago. Hopefully I didn't shoot myself in the foot with admitting the latter. I did try to make clear that I would be seriously considering NYU regardless of what other options come up.

Edit: Their response: Which schools are you waiting to hear from? I told them.

Seems like NYU is trying to compete with the yale blog...

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:54 am

Has anybody read any of the blog entries? They sound to me a lot more like the sort of thing that belongs in a pamphlet.

Canadian

Postby Canadian » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:28 pm

Looking forward to hearing back from NYU soon...

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:27 am

Anybody else hear about their extension request mine? I sent mine last Friday and I am still waiting. Also, did you guys submit your request simply by email or did you use the appeal option?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:53 am

Dtackpat75 wrote:Anybody else hear about their extension request mine? I sent mine last Friday and I am still waiting. Also, did you guys submit your request simply by email or did you use the appeal option?

A few of us (nixxers and myself) have gotten replies from them, but only to ask for information and tell us that they continue to consider our requests.

I just sent an email.

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:31 am

Dtackpat75 wrote:Anybody else hear about their extension request mine? I sent mine last Friday and I am still waiting. Also, did you guys submit your request simply by email or did you use the appeal option?

All I've heard is that they're considering my request. I e-mailed them.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:08 pm

Just withdrew, guys. Have fun in Greenwich Village next year.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:30 pm

badfish wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
badfish wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:http://idwsj.wordpress.com/

something interesting to read over...and maybe ask questions after/before ASW.

This person is apparently in my section... I wonder who it is.

Oo...can I ask you questions?

For sure, what did you have in mind?

I have a question!

Would a typical 1L schedule run past 5 p.m., or do all your classes tend to let out by 4 or 5?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”