In at NYU!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
spiffypyro

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby spiffypyro » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:44 am

badfish wrote:
spiffypyro wrote:
badfish wrote:
With that said, I did get to see weezer live for the first time during this semester, which was awesome.

jealous!!

it was awesome. they opened with a rendition of war pigs and transitioned it into hash pipe... it was pretty badass

i've attached a link so you can rock out to it too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPO7gDYVgJ8

thanks for the link, that looks like it was pretty sweet! Weezer is so awesome

tintin

Postby tintin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:29 am

anyone know what the NYU on campus housing is like ? overpriced? old? new? most importantly...could i bring my cat?

radgrad

Postby radgrad » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:11 pm

tintin wrote:anyone know what the NYU on campus housing is like ? overpriced? old? new? most importantly...could i bring my cat?

craptastic. mattresses from the 70s, terrible lighting, crappy crappy crap. the ones i've seen have 2 bdr, 1 bath, small kitchen, and a bathroom. i think the rent is around 1200 a month per person (?). Which less than what you'd pay to live in a 2bdr in the village, but not really by much. they're really close to the school, though.

i'm mostly interested in how many 1Ls live in the dorms. if like 95% of everyone are there, i might do it. maybe.

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:41 pm

Anybody have any idea when we can expect additional info from NYU.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:32 pm

badfish wrote:
managamy wrote:
badfish wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:booyah! NYU is one of my top choices (along with columbia), and I'm gonna love spending 3 years in NYC. the real question is how I'm going to study while actually going to (and affording) all of the shows I'll want to see. I've never really lived in a city with a really good music scene so I'm pretty psyched!

i wouldn't worry about it, you won't have much time for other stuff besides law school and drinking.

congrats on nyu btw hope to see all of you guys @ ASW

Spend your drinking time going to shows and concerts; you'll be a much more interesting person for it.

Not that I disagree with your basic premise, but when you have to read for torts and civ pro, it's a lot easier to go drink for a few hours after your reading than it is to allot 5 hours to go to some concert.

With that said, I did get to see weezer live for the first time during this semester, which was awesome.

You buncha' youngsters. I saw Weezer in 1994 on the Blue Album tour. 8)

ravens20

Postby ravens20 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Dtackpat75 wrote:Anybody have any idea when we can expect additional info from NYU.

+1 - I was wondering the same thing too.
The letter did suggest that info would be sent soon.

monkeygirl

Postby monkeygirl » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:44 pm

tintin wrote:anyone know what the NYU on campus housing is like ? overpriced? old? new? most importantly...could i bring my cat?

no pets allowed :cry:

http://www.law.nyu.edu/housing/faq/index.htm#2

tintin

Postby tintin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:44 pm

monkeygirl wrote:

guess i won't be living there then. gotta have my right hand man....

--ImageRemoved--

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:51 pm

radgrad wrote:

craptastic. mattresses from the 70s, terrible lighting, crappy crappy crap. the ones i've seen have 2 bdr, 1 bath, small kitchen, and a bathroom. i think the rent is around 1200 a month per person (?). Which less than what you'd pay to live in a 2bdr in the village, but not really by much. they're really close to the school, though.

i'm mostly interested in how many 1Ls live in the dorms. if like 95% of everyone are there, i might do it. maybe.

A huge percentage of 1L's are in the dorms. Finding an apt. that isn't a hellhole can take time, so unless you already live in the tri-state area, it's way easier to do the dorms for your first year. That's what most people do: move into the dorms, get to know the city (and more importantly the commutes), and move out after 1L.

No dice on the cat, but the dorms aren't as bad as tintin makes it sound. They're pretty small, not real cheap (but less than market rent for the neighborhood), super eco-friendly (hence the bad lighting, all CFL bulbs), and very, very convenient.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:29 am

A friend of mine went to NYU law, and I have to say that the housing was decent. It was basically a medium (for NYC) sized studio with an eat in kitchen, furnished w/ dorm furniture. It was very private (as in, no dorm feeling) and right across from the law school. I would say that the price is probably expensive, but less than what one would pay for a studio in the area at market rates. You could definitely find better and cheaper if you were willing to travel farther from the school.

And you can bring your cat. She did.

zamd006

Postby zamd006 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:41 am

tintin wrote:
monkeygirl wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

That cat looks badass, bet he's excited to live in NYC.

monkeygirl

Postby monkeygirl » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:50 am

tintin wrote:
monkeygirl wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

That's one good-looking cat, Tintin! I have four of my own (yeah, I know), so I totally understand that you wouldn't go anywhere without him. I hope we get to meet each other next year, but in the meantime, here's the top cat in my house:

@ everyone else: Sorry! I will stop posting pictures of cats now.

tintin

Postby tintin » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:47 pm

monkeygirl, your cat is absolutely adorable!!! i've always wanted an orange tabby for some reason...

I would do the on-campus thing if I had my own studio, and could thus hide my cat in it and cook all i wanted. is getting a studio ridiculously hard though? is it a lottery system or somehow prioritized?

the NYU housing site doesn't have very good pictures, either. lame.

monkeygirl

Postby monkeygirl » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:06 pm

Thanks, Tintin! He's a handful, but he's worth it.

If anyone is planning to come out and visit, you should look at this article from the NY Times:
http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes.com ... ref=travel

It gives you some ideas about how to spend a few days here without hemorrhaging money.

youpiiz

Postby youpiiz » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:07 pm

monkeygirl wrote:Thanks, Tintin! He's a handful, but he's worth it.

If anyone is planning to come out and visit, you should look at this article from the NY Times:

It gives you some ideas about how to spend a few days here without hemorrhaging money.

are you bad.monkey's sister?

pikalove

Postby pikalove » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:11 pm

I want our information packets....

Mostly so I can start planning out my soon-to-be amazing NYC life and avoid all things in real life (like essays).

How many of you guys are actually planning on attending anyways??? It would be cool to start figuring out who my future classmates are going to be :D

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:13 pm

pikalove wrote:I want our information packets....

Mostly so I can start planning out my soon-to-be amazing NYC life and avoid all things in real life (like essays).

How many of you guys are actually planning on attending anyways??? It would be cool to start figuring out who my future classmates are going to be :D

I totally agree -- procrastination doesn't seem quite so bad when I spin it as researching law school. :P I'm not sure where I'll end up next year (still waiting on too many schools to make a decision), but I do know that NYU is one of my absolute top choices. To be honest, my acceptance still hasn't quite sunk in. I'm really looking forward to getting a feel for the school at the ASW, though!

monkeygirl

Postby monkeygirl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:34 pm

youpiiz wrote:
monkeygirl wrote:Thanks, Tintin! He's a handful, but he's worth it.

are you bad.monkey's sister?

Who is this "Bad Monkey" you speak of? We may share a relationship, if only in spirit :twisted:

letsgojayhawks

Postby letsgojayhawks » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:22 pm

In! I found awhile ago, but it just sunk in on Monday :) :)

Unfortunately, I definitely won't be attending unless I get a scholarship. I want to do PI, so I can't justify the tuition + COL at sticker price. Anyone know when we'll find out about scholarships?

psychomohel

Postby psychomohel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:31 pm

letsgojayhawks wrote:In! I found awhile ago, but it just sunk in on Monday :) :)

Unfortunately, I definitely won't be attending unless I get a scholarship. I want to do PI, so I can't justify the tuition + COL at sticker price. Anyone know when we'll find out about scholarships?

I think the deadline to submit them is January 1st, so not before then.

monkeygirl

Postby monkeygirl » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:42 pm

I just found out that you can still submit an essay/LOR for the Public Interest scholarships, even if you have already been accepted.

I'm totally doing it-2009 is my year to throw Hail Marys.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:48 pm

anybody submit an application for a named scholarship after being admitted? I hear the deadline is january first but how do you submit it?

WrappedUpInBooks

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:52 pm

letsgojayhawks wrote:In! I found awhile ago, but it just sunk in on Monday :) :)

I want to do PI as well, and of course I'm hoping for a scholarship - but NYU has such great LRAP that I'd definitnely go at sticker. In the end, I'm sure I'd end up playing much less than sticker after LRAP.

letsgojayhawks

Postby letsgojayhawks » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:47 pm

WrappedUpInBooks wrote:

I want to do PI as well, and of course I'm hoping for a scholarship - but NYU has such great LRAP that I'd definitnely go at sticker. In the end, I'm sure I'd end up playing much less than sticker after LRAP.

The LRAP is good, but I just have a massive aversion to debt, and as the LRAP doesn't take effect until after the debt has been taken on, I worry that I would be left with significant debt.

pissantvache

Postby pissantvache » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:44 pm

Does anyone have any idea on when the admitted students site is going to be working?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”