In at NYU!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nixxers

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby nixxers » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:52 pm

nixxers wrote:
EijiMiyake wrote:Has anyone asked about an extension for the 4/2 deadline?

I asked, no answer yet - i'll let you know what they tell me

nixxers wrote:hey NYU, can I have more time?

NYU wrote:your request is under review, and we'll let you know before your deadline.

Mildly encouraging....we'll see what happens, I guess.

iminlstrick

Postby iminlstrick » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:01 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
nixxers wrote:

Is anyone writing to other schools (particularly schools that have treated you oddly and have already had six months to make a decision) to let them know that if they want you, they'd better hurry it up?

I just sent this letter to Harvard, but only because I have a pending scholarship at another school. I was also the weakest sauce when actually making the request. If I could have sent the request in 3pt font, I would have.

rhapsodyinazul

Postby rhapsodyinazul » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:32 pm

Absolutamente nada. Brilliant. Learns me to get hopeful for getting accepted early.

bubbagump

Postby bubbagump » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:37 pm

iminlstrick wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
nixxers wrote:

Is anyone writing to other schools (particularly schools that have treated you oddly and have already had six months to make a decision) to let them know that if they want you, they'd better hurry it up?

I just sent this letter to Harvard, but only because I have a pending scholarship at another school. I was also the weakest sauce when actually making the request. If I could have sent the request in 3pt font, I would have.

What deadline is this referring to? My letter said this:

"We request that you confirm your Intention to Enroll and Deposit by 05/03/2010. We look forward to seeing you this Fall!"

I also got $0, btw.

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:39 pm

bubbagump wrote:What deadline is this referring to? My letter said this:

"We request that you confirm your Intention to Enroll and Deposit by 05/03/2010. We look forward to seeing you this Fall!"

I also got $0, btw.

NYU moved the deposit deadline up to 4/2 for scholarship recipients. :evil:

bubbagump

Postby bubbagump » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:40 pm

summerschooled wrote:
bubbagump wrote:What deadline is this referring to? My letter said this:

I also got $0, btw.

NYU moved the deposit deadline up to 4/2 for scholarship recipients. :evil:

Oh got it, thanks.

regatsrj

Postby regatsrj » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:42 pm

I'm a little confused by the wording of my big fat $0 letter. It sounds like they're only referring to institutional scholarships, and they don't really mention need-based aid. Obviously this could be because 'need-based aid' at NYU is a big fat fucking fairy tale. But might it also mean that they haven't evaluated need-based aid yet? Their big fat ZERO has thrown me into a tizzy, so maybe I'm being really dense for holding out a sliver of hope.

georgina

Postby georgina » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:21 pm

regatsrj wrote:I'm a little confused by the wording of my big fat $0 letter. It sounds like they're only referring to institutional scholarships, and they don't really mention need-based aid. Obviously this could be because 'need-based aid' at NYU is a big fat fucking fairy tale. But might it also mean that they haven't evaluated need-based aid yet? Their big fat ZERO has thrown me into a tizzy, so maybe I'm being really dense for holding out a sliver of hope.

aid is a combination of grants and loans. grants = institutional aid. the letter says, hey you get ZERO for the grant part, but you can take up to $210,000 in loans!

abitaman6363

Postby abitaman6363 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:57 pm

On NYU's Admitted Students Financial Aid site (https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html), it states that my financial aid application is "Under Review" and then "In Final Stages of Review" as of March 8th. How long after that have people been getting word back on financial aid?

Thanks!

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:05 pm

So if I accept the scholarship offer at NYU and pay the $500 seat deposit, can I still withdraw later (undserstand I lose the seat deposit) if I get more money at Columbia or somehow sneak into Harvard? Or am I then bound to absolutely attend NYU?

MeasuredOptimism

Postby MeasuredOptimism » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:27 pm

Also got the $0 email today.

I'm sending an appeal letter letting them know I got the Levy at Penn, but not sure it will really help.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:44 pm

Would like some opinions. Received no aid from NYU. Now, I know they are not peer schools, but do you think I can use the 90K offer I got from Boston University to get NYU to give me something? 10K a year, something to soften that crushing number.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:45 pm

CG614 wrote:Would like some opinions. Received no aid from NYU. Now, I know they are not peer schools[, but do you think I can use the 90K offer I got from Boston University to get NYU to give me something? 10K a year, something to soften that crushing number.

Someone on here asked Chicago to reconsider their offer by showing a huge scholarship from Cornell. And he got the "we need a peer offer" line. So I really doubt that they will give a second thought to 90K from BU. But it can never hurt to try.

ankit

Postby ankit » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

glowhard wrote:Did everyone who heard about $$ (and got it or not) apply for a Dean's Scholarship? I applied for need-based aid (and merit, i guess... if they consider that) and haven't heard back.

+1 , I submitted the form in Feb, have been "In Final Stage of Review" since 2/22 and have not heard anything as yet. Is anyone else still waiting for their first offer?

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:16 pm

Dtackpat75 wrote:So if I accept the scholarship offer at NYU and pay the $500 seat deposit, can I still withdraw later (undserstand I lose the seat deposit) if I get more money at Columbia or somehow sneak into Harvard? Or am I then bound to absolutely attend NYU?

Read the fine print before signing anything/sending money.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:51 am

Indeed. Doesn't NYU require you to withdraw from all other schools when you put down a seat deposit?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:20 pm

existenz wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:So if I accept the scholarship offer at NYU and pay the $500 seat deposit, can I still withdraw later (undserstand I lose the seat deposit) if I get more money at Columbia or somehow sneak into Harvard? Or am I then bound to absolutely attend NYU?

Read the fine print before signing anything/sending money.

I haven't been able to find the fine print anywhere to read it.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:21 pm

nixxers wrote:
nixxers wrote:

NYU wrote:your request is under review, and we'll let you know before your deadline.

I suppose I should ask, too. Let us know if they do waive the deadline for you.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:17 pm

clintonius wrote:Indeed. Doesn't NYU require you to withdraw from all other schools when you put down a seat deposit?

Yeah. It says something about withdrawing from other schools and agreeing to not apply to any more schools.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:47 pm

iminlstrick wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
nixxers wrote:

Haha. Columbia says that they can't tell me a specific timeline (which is an irksome response in and of itself because I didn't ask for a timeline - I notified them of a deadline) but that I am welcome to call as the deadline approaches and ask if a decision has been mailed. Technically, the deadline "approaches" with every second of every day, so they dug their own grave with that one. :twisted:

(j/k... I'll give it a couple of weeks.)

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:13 pm

I asked, no answer yet - i'll let you know what they tell me[/quote]
Is anyone writing to other schools (particularly schools that have treated you oddly and have already had six months to make a decision) to let them know that if they want you, they'd better hurry it up?[/quote]

I just sent this letter to Harvard, but only because I have a pending scholarship at another school. I was also the weakest sauce when actually making the request. If I could have sent the request in 3pt font, I would have.[/quote]
Haha. Columbia says that they can't tell me a specific timeline (which is an irksome response in and of itself because I didn't ask for a timeline - I notified them of a deadline) but that I am welcome to call as the deadline approaches and ask if a decision has been mailed. Technically, the deadline "approaches" with every second of every day, so they dug their own grave with that one. :twisted:

(j/k... I'll give it a couple of weeks.)[/quote]

Wow that sucks I guess I am going to get the same response. Anyone else feel like we are in the middle of a game of chicken between NYU and it's peer schools i.e Columbia. Not loving it.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:23 pm

nixxers wrote:
nixxers wrote:

Uhh.. the finaid office just emailed me again to tell me that my request is under review and they'll let me know. Bizarre?

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:52 pm

nixxers wrote:
Uhh.. the finaid office just emailed me again to tell me that my request is under review and they'll let me know. Bizarre?

Yeah, puzzling. Although we know technology is not their forte... which seems weird to me, for such a good school. And presumably they're not short on money either.

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:17 pm

nixxers wrote:Uhh.. the finaid office just emailed me again to tell me that my request is under review and they'll let me know. Bizarre?

+1

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:33 pm

Just asked them for an extension to the scholarship enrollment deadline as well. Silly that they told you guys to wait twice.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”