In at NYU!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
badfish

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby badfish » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:17 am

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:http://idwsj.wordpress.com/

something interesting to read over...and maybe ask questions after/before ASW.

This person is apparently in my section... I wonder who it is.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:03 pm

badfish wrote:

Oo...can I ask you questions?

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:29 pm

badfish wrote:

badfish! I didn't make it to your admin class yesterday unfortunately :(

But I loooved NYU!!! I didn't know how cool the area around it is, and I liked the buildings a lot. I talked to the lady who works in the cafe on the first floor of Furman Hall and she seemed positive about student attitudes, which is a good sign. Randomly ran into this kid who went to my undergrad who gave me really good insight into his experiences at NYU, which are not the sort of PI-heavy things I would normally have associated with the school, and I liked that... I wish I could be more specific about it, but something about the atmosphere "clicked" and I could definitely see myself having a great experience there - which is not something I felt at CLS, so I don't think I'm making it up. Anyway, NYU was barely on my radar before they invited me to apply for the deans scholarship, but after visiting, it's definitely a top choice. :)

idontwearskinnyjeans

Postby idontwearskinnyjeans » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:43 pm

badfish wrote:

I've always wondered who the NYU TLS'ers are. Just to clarify, I don't think we're in the same section. But I could be wrong since I don't know who you are. Nice to meet you, anyhow.

tintin

Postby tintin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:16 pm

got an email today telling me they can't offer me a travel stipend for ASW. wtf, i make $10 an hour. im so pissed off. the other 2 schools i'm visiting are offering me travel $$. grrrr.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:19 pm

Been 4 months to the day since I went complete. I wonder what is taking so long? I don't expect to get in. I'm guessing they are waiting to send out WL's and rejections.

badfish

Postby badfish » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:24 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
badfish wrote:

For sure, what did you have in mind?

badfish

Postby badfish » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:26 pm

nixxers wrote:
badfish wrote:

badfish! I didn't make it to your admin class yesterday unfortunately :(

But I loooved NYU!!! I didn't know how cool the area around it is, and I liked the buildings a lot. I talked to the lady who works in the cafe on the first floor of Furman Hall and she seemed positive about student attitudes, which is a good sign. Randomly ran into this kid who went to my undergrad who gave me really good insight into his experiences at NYU, which are not the sort of PI-heavy things I would normally have associated with the school, and I liked that... I wish I could be more specific about it, but something about the atmosphere "clicked" and I could definitely see myself having a great experience there - which is not something I felt at CLS, so I don't think I'm making it up. Anyway, NYU was barely on my radar before they invited me to apply for the deans scholarship, but after visiting, it's definitely a top choice. :)

I'm glad to hear you had a good time. They are actually building a third building next door which should be completed by the time you would start school. It is even nicer when Washington Square Park isn't being renovated and you can play chess with the eccentric locals. If you have any quesitons about NYU or life at NYU please don't hesitate to ask.

badfish

Postby badfish » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:28 pm

idontwearskinnyjeans wrote:
badfish wrote:

I've always wondered who the NYU TLS'ers are. Just to clarify, I don't think we're in the same section. But I could be wrong since I don't know who you are. Nice to meet you, anyhow.

Well you're certainly in my conlaw class but I suppose it is possible you have Friday crim as well which was cancelled due to the snow. Does the name Harry First ring any bells?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:27 pm

badfish wrote:
badfish wrote:

For sure, what did you have in mind?

Well...I have a few.

I'm choosing between Chicago, UVA, and NYU. I either want to do BigLaw or become a professor (I know...everyone does). People give Chicago more prestige for academia, do you think its warranted? What information do you have about NYU that makes it look more promising?

I'm interviewing for the AnBryce...have you met any of these scholars? Are they out of this world? What do they do around campus? (I understand if you don't know any of the answers to this question).

Is there any on campus housing that is not a studio? I want a one bedroom to myself but would love to live on campus?

That's all I have right now.

badfish

Postby badfish » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:21 pm

Well...I have a few.

I'm choosing between Chicago, UVA, and NYU. I either want to do BigLaw or become a professor (I know...everyone does). People give Chicago more prestige for academia, do you think its warranted? What information do you have about NYU that makes it look more promising?

I'm interviewing for the AnBryce...have you met any of these scholars? Are they out of this world? What do they do around campus? (I understand if you don't know any of the answers to this question).

Is there any on campus housing that is not a studio? I want a one bedroom to myself but would love to live on campus?

That's all I have right now.

1) Chicago tends to place better in academia but I suspect that is more a function of the fact that a lot of the 7th circuit judges prefer chicago grads (they're going off what they knew of Chi when they were going to school) and while I have no empirical evidence to back this up I suspect that as the old guard begins to pass the torch NYU's pedigree for placing in clerkships will be as high as CC. Higher clerkship placements will naturally lead to more academics coming out of NYU.

2) I know a few AnBryce Scholars. They are all very smart, very capable people ... then again so are all of my other classmates. I also believe AnBryce is based on a need based component so I don't think there's any indication (at least at the outset) that AnBryce students are a cut above the rest of the matriculating class. With that said, the fact that many of these scholars have overcome economic hardship and qualified to get into a school like NYU on their own merit could contradict my previous contention. As far as what AnBryce scholars do on campus, I haven't noticed anything overt. I know RTK scholars help do stuff for the PILC office around campus, but I don't think the AnBryce comes with any strings attached ... again I could be wrong about this.

3) I live off campus but you might be able to get a 1BR in Mercer ... I'm not entirely sure. Living in a 1BR anywhere in NYC will prove to be extremely difficult/expensive. If you don't mind the expense ... well that's one thing but I find having roomates helps to drive away the crazies ... especially during finals.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:13 pm

Badfish, thanks for the quick answer. I appreciate the honesty and am glad that you were able to tell me about the roommate thing. i suspect you may have a point there.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:38 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Badfish, thanks for the quick answer. I appreciate the honesty and am glad that you were able to tell me about the roommate thing. i suspect you may have a point there.

Fine, I guess Dee and I will have to room together.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:47 pm

Kronk wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Badfish, thanks for the quick answer. I appreciate the honesty and am glad that you were able to tell me about the roommate thing. i suspect you may have a point there.

Okay :) But won't your GF be all upset and such.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:50 pm

Kronk wrote:

Okay :) But won't your GF be all upset and such.

"Hey, so I'm living with an attractive girl I met on the internet next year. Hope that's cool kthnxbai."

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:52 pm

Anybody going to this week's ASW? My apologies if this question has been asked before.

nattybro

Postby nattybro » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:00 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:Anybody going to this week's ASW? My apologies if this question has been asked before.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=106459&start=50

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:53 pm

YAY! They e-mailed me letting me know I've been selected to interview for the Law, Economics and Politics Scholars program.

Laina

Postby Laina » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:56 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:YAY! They e-mailed me letting me know I've been selected to interview for the Law, Economics and Politics Scholars program.

Congrats! Is your interview during the 25-26th ASW?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:57 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:YAY! They e-mailed me letting me know I've been selected to interview for the Law, Economics and Politics Scholars program.

Wow, ok, finally some movement on the law scholars programs. Anyone hear about Environment and Land Use?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:59 pm

Laina wrote:

I just re-read the e-mail and it didn't say anything about an interview, so my original statement was wrong. They do, however, want me to let them know which ASW I will be attending so they can set up a meeting with Professor Oren Bar-Gil. I'll be going to the one in April.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:05 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Laina wrote:

I just re-read the e-mail and it didn't say anything about an interview, so my original statement was wrong. They do, however, want me to let them know which ASW I will be attending so they can set up a meeting with Professor Oren Bar-Gil. I'll be going to the one in April.

Can I ask the significance of your SN?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:18 pm

crackberry wrote:Can I ask the significance of your SN?

My Alias?

I joined TLS when I was a sophomore (two years ago), and at the time I was infatuated with the thought of Stanford and California. By the time I got over my infatuation TLS decided that it would no longer accept requests to change people's names, so I'm kind of stuck with it unless I make a new account (which I'd rather not do). Interestingly enough, I didn't even apply to Stanford.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:19 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
crackberry wrote:Can I ask the significance of your SN?

My Alias?

I joined TLS when I was a sophomore (two years ago), and at the time I was infatuated with the thought of Stanford and California. By the time I got over my infatuation TLS decided that it would no longer accept requests to change people's names, so I'm kind of stuck with it unless I make a new account (which I'd rather not do). Interestingly enough, I didn't even apply to Stanford.

Yeah I noticed that, which is why I asked.

badfish

Postby badfish » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:01 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Laina wrote:

He's an odd one, but obviously very very smart.

Enjoy.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”