In at NYU!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby neimanmarxist » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:28 pm

Hi! I got my purple envelope this Friday. It was pretty. :)

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby CG614 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:34 pm

Just read through some old NYU threads where students were taking questions, but couldn't find the answer to my question. Would any current students mind explaining how the grading system works at NYU? Thanks!

Rock of Love
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:56 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby Rock of Love » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:34 pm

CG614 wrote:So, I wasn't able to get my applications in until mid-late January. NYU has a clause in their instructions that states, "Applicants who wish to be considered for any of the School of Law's Scholarship and/or Academic Scholars programs should complete their applications by January 1 and have a complete law school report ready to be requested by our office no later than January 1."

-- My question to you all, how strict do you think they go by this? Does anyone know of an applicant that submitted after Jan 1 but received scholarship monies? This cycle or past. Thanks!


The "should" leads me to believe this is not an absolute rule, but it would be hard to receive anything if submitting after Jan 1. Thoughts?


That deadline is for the special named scholarships and scholars' program scholarships. If you want consideration for the institutional scholarships, you get invited via e-mail and then have to complete the financial aid form that can be obtained through the admitted students log-in. I'm guessing that deadline of Jan. 1 is indeed strict, since most of the interviews for the scholarships are this month or April. You can try e-mailing admissions to check on that, but I think all the committees who select finalists have at least gathered for the prelimanary stages already.l

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby neimanmarxist » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:41 pm

Rock of Love wrote:
CG614 wrote:So, I wasn't able to get my applications in until mid-late January. NYU has a clause in their instructions that states, "Applicants who wish to be considered for any of the School of Law's Scholarship and/or Academic Scholars programs should complete their applications by January 1 and have a complete law school report ready to be requested by our office no later than January 1."

-- My question to you all, how strict do you think they go by this? Does anyone know of an applicant that submitted after Jan 1 but received scholarship monies? This cycle or past. Thanks!


The "should" leads me to believe this is not an absolute rule, but it would be hard to receive anything if submitting after Jan 1. Thoughts?


That deadline is for the special named scholarships and scholars' program scholarships. If you want consideration for the institutional scholarships, you get invited via e-mail and then have to complete the financial aid form that can be obtained through the admitted students log-in. I'm guessing that deadline of Jan. 1 is indeed strict, since most of the interviews for the scholarships are this month or April. You can try e-mailing admissions to check on that, but I think all the committees who select finalists have at least gathered for the prelimanary stages already.l


actually I can answer this question. I had a bit of a snafu with the transmission of my application, which I discovered rather late in the game. I called admissions to explain my error and they were very nice, and said that usually if you're not too terribly late they will still consider you. I submitted 1/12

User avatar
abitaman6363
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:42 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby abitaman6363 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:48 pm

Has anyone heard anything back regarding IILJ finalists?

ankit
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:48 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby ankit » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:54 pm

abitaman6363 wrote:Has anyone heard anything back regarding IILJ finalists?


There hasn't been anyone on TLS thus far....

User avatar
abitaman6363
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:42 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby abitaman6363 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:24 pm

ankit wrote:
abitaman6363 wrote:Has anyone heard anything back regarding IILJ finalists?


There hasn't been anyone on TLS thus far....


Hmmm...

Well best of luck to everyone who applied! I would sure love to be considered!

And for all those who got it, congratulations! I received mine last year and remember the excitement. I look forward to see you all this fall!

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby CG614 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:42 pm

Just signed up for the March 25/26th Admitted Students Days. Anyone else on here going?

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby scribelaw » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:44 pm

CG614 wrote:Just signed up for the March 25/26th Admitted Students Days. Anyone else on here going?


I am...Should be fun...

User avatar
facetious
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:56 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby facetious » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:50 pm

scribelaw wrote:
CG614 wrote:Just signed up for the March 25/26th Admitted Students Days. Anyone else on here going?


I am...Should be fun...


me too. i think there are a few of us going to that one.

User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby TheWire » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:53 pm

scribelaw wrote:
CG614 wrote:Just signed up for the March 25/26th Admitted Students Days. Anyone else on here going?


I am...Should be fun...


+ Hell Ya

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28174
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby Kronk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:54 pm

TheWire wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
CG614 wrote:Just signed up for the March 25/26th Admitted Students Days. Anyone else on here going?


I am...Should be fun...


+ Hell Ya


Good. I am going the 4th-5th. No Lakers fans allowed ;)

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby scribelaw » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:55 pm

TheWire wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
CG614 wrote:Just signed up for the March 25/26th Admitted Students Days. Anyone else on here going?


I am...Should be fun...


+ Hell Ya


Any New Yorkers on here....I will probably be staying with my uncle in Farmingdale and taking the train in...How long will it take to get to the village from Long Island?

Kari22
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:33 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby Kari22 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:09 pm

I'm going to the March 25th/26th days, and actually live in Farmingdale. It's about a 50-55 minutes train ride and then 10 minutes to the village from there; not bad at all.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby scribelaw » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:17 pm

Kari22 wrote:I'm going to the March 25th/26th days, and actually live in Farmingdale. It's about a 50-55 minutes train ride and then 10 minutes to the village from there; not bad at all.


Cool. Thanks.

I'm trying to fit in a trip to Columbia, too. Don't know how I'm going to do this yet.

Anyone else trying to do both in a limited time frame?

One option I'm considering is to try to do Columbia Thursday morning and then NYU Thursday afternoon and Friday.

User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby TheWire » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:19 pm

Kronk wrote:
TheWire wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
CG614 wrote:Just signed up for the March 25/26th Admitted Students Days. Anyone else on here going?


I am...Should be fun...


+ Hell Ya


Good. I am going the 4th-5th. No Lakers fans allowed ;)


HAHA...damn, they gave me a scare last night. It's fun to watch two great teams go at it...

psychomohel
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby psychomohel » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:24 pm

Does anybody know when NYU will release financial aid decisions?

benewagain
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:58 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby benewagain » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:31 pm

psychomohel wrote:Does anybody know when NYU will release financial aid decisions?


I called the financial aid office and they said they were going to be reviewing the first pool of applications in early March with decisions rendered in mid to late March. She said if you got your application in any time in February or very early in March you'd likely be in this first pool.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:42 pm

Kronk wrote:Good. I am going the 4th-5th. No Lakers fans allowed ;)

TLS meetup??
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=106459

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby CG614 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:56 pm

benewagain wrote:
psychomohel wrote:Does anybody know when NYU will release financial aid decisions?


I called the financial aid office and they said they were going to be reviewing the first pool of applications in early March with decisions rendered in mid to late March. She said if you got your application in any time in February or very early in March you'd likely be in this first pool.


Is there a separate Fin Aid application? Is this only for students that have sent in seat deposits?

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:15 pm

Is today the deadline for the scholarship info? I know today is the deadline for somewhere, but I forget if it's NYU or not.

benewagain
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:58 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby benewagain » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:17 pm

CG614 wrote:
benewagain wrote:
psychomohel wrote:Does anybody know when NYU will release financial aid decisions?


I called the financial aid office and they said they were going to be reviewing the first pool of applications in early March with decisions rendered in mid to late March. She said if you got your application in any time in February or very early in March you'd likely be in this first pool.


Is there a separate Fin Aid application? Is this only for students that have sent in seat deposits?


I was referring to the online form I think everyone got via email when they were admitted (?). It's just a form you fill out with your and your parents' financial info for consideration for all need- and merit-based aid. Separate from this general email, some people were invited to apply for Dean's Scholarships, which is a particular type of merit aid, by 2/24. To my understanding an invitation to a Dean's is tantamount to a commitment that you will receive merit aid... but that you can still get other merit aid even if you weren't invited to a Dean's. And no, you needn't have sent in a seat deposit to apply for aid - you should have gotten the link to the form when you were accepted I think, because part of the point is to determine how much aid you would get so you can factor that into your decision of whether or not to attend NYU, so it wouldn't really make sense to require the seat deposit beforehand. But I've basically just gleaned all of this info from TLS forums so if someone is more knowledgeable please feel free to correct!

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby CG614 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:01 pm

benewagain wrote:
CG614 wrote:
benewagain wrote:
psychomohel wrote:Does anybody know when NYU will release financial aid decisions?


I called the financial aid office and they said they were going to be reviewing the first pool of applications in early March with decisions rendered in mid to late March. She said if you got your application in any time in February or very early in March you'd likely be in this first pool.


Is there a separate Fin Aid application? Is this only for students that have sent in seat deposits?


I was referring to the online form I think everyone got via email when they were admitted (?). It's just a form you fill out with your and your parents' financial info for consideration for all need- and merit-based aid. Separate from this general email, some people were invited to apply for Dean's Scholarships, which is a particular type of merit aid, by 2/24. To my understanding an invitation to a Dean's is tantamount to a commitment that you will receive merit aid... but that you can still get other merit aid even if you weren't invited to a Dean's. And no, you needn't have sent in a seat deposit to apply for aid - you should have gotten the link to the form when you were accepted I think, because part of the point is to determine how much aid you would get so you can factor that into your decision of whether or not to attend NYU, so it wouldn't really make sense to require the seat deposit beforehand. But I've basically just gleaned all of this info from TLS forums so if someone is more knowledgeable please feel free to correct!


Thanks! NYU is a tad different than most schools, in that I have been receiving scholarship info with the acceptance letter. I found the online form.

User avatar
badfish
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby badfish » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:02 pm

lz06 wrote:
badfish wrote:
nixxers wrote:Will do!! :)


see if you can come to my admin class 2-4 Professor Rascoff, just know he cold calls on all guests who come into class (but you'll do fine)


Is this serious?? Wtf does he ask visitors?


Questions you can't possibly know the answer to. It really isn't a big deal, more fun than anything.

User avatar
Anastasia Dee Dualla
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:03 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:09 am

--LinkRemoved--

something interesting to read over...and maybe ask questions after/before ASW.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, a.sch, aaron1621, ad34964n, Baby Gaga, BigBear, BobBoblaw, BrittanyJeream, danid83, Google Adsense [Bot], jjcorvino, joezze, lillawyer2, notsolawful, Solidfood, Zoe107 and 34 guests