In at NYU!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sogui

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby Sogui » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:57 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Just got the application too, yay! I will probably be at the first ASW in March, too.

On another note, is anyone else really loving the little pocket-sized map of Manhattan they sent? It's so tiny, yet so thorough!

I am also amused by the surely-intentional omission of Morningside Heights in the map. I mean, they had a choice. Without even having to fold the map a different way, they had a choice about which corners to block out. So, which is more important: Randalls Island Park + a big empty patch of the Hudson River, or some of Brooklyn + PART OF MANHATTAN? Real subtle, NYU.

heh I noticed that too

s419

Postby s419 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:58 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Just got the application too, yay! I will probably be at the first ASW in March, too.

On another note, is anyone else really loving the little pocket-sized map of Manhattan they sent? It's so tiny, yet so thorough!

I am also amused by the surely-intentional omission of Morningside Heights in the map. I mean, they had a choice. Without even having to fold the map a different way, they had a choice about which corners to block out. So, which is more important: Randalls Island Park + a big empty patch of the Hudson River, or some of Brooklyn + PART OF MANHATTAN? Real subtle, NYU.

I definitely noticed that about the map and showed it to my boyfriend (a Columbia undergrad alum) and had a good laugh about it.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:59 pm

Filling out the merit-aid only application is really quick. It only took me a couple minutes. Also, the confirmation email they sent me gives me the impression that the decision to apply only for merit aid is not irrevocable:

Dear Our Most Amazing Applicant,

We are in receipt of your completed application for financial aid.

Please note that you elected to apply for merit-based scholarships only. As a result, you will not be considered for need-based scholarships from NYU School of Law. If you choose to apply for the post-graduate Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP), your assumed student contribution will be the cost of tuition for each of your three years in Law School. You may elect to submit your financial information at a later date. If you wish to do so, please contact our office.

If you have any questions or concerns about the financial aid process, please feel free to contact our office. We look forward to working with you!

dcchillin

Postby dcchillin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:01 pm

tomhobbes wrote:Filling out the merit-aid only application is really quick. It only took me a couple minutes. Also, the confirmation email they sent me gives me the impression that the decision to apply only for merit aid is not irrevocable:

Please note that you elected to apply for merit-based scholarships only. As a result, you will not be considered for need-based scholarships from NYU School of Law. If you choose to apply for the post-graduate Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP), your assumed student contribution will be the cost of tuition for each of your three years in Law School. You may elect to submit your financial information at a later date. If you wish to do so, please contact our office.

If you have any questions or concerns about the financial aid process, please feel free to contact our office. We look forward to working with you!

Odd, mine said "Dear God Amongst Men (and Women),"

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:01 pm

--ImageRemoved--

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:03 pm

WTF, what does this line mean?:

"If you choose to apply for the post-graduate Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP), your assumed student contribution will be the cost of tuition for each of your three years in Law School."

Does that mean if I click merit-only I am opting out of LRAP? That is bullshit. I'm not going to qualify for need-based aid, but my mom isn't gonna pay for school. So I will be taking out loans but because I won't get need-aid, I don't qualify for LRAP?

Am I understanding this right?!

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:07 pm

I just got the scholarship invitation, too! :D I'm confused about the need-based/merit-based option, though. Are those of you who got the e-mail planning to do Option D? It does say we don't need to provide financial information. Ugh, I wish they'd made that clearer -- still excited though!

PS -- any guesses on what % will actually get one of these scholarships?

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Sogui wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Wait, so the Dean's scholarship invitation was sent by snail mail?

If so, that gives me hope. I live in a city that has been practically on lockdown for a week, so I very well may not have received it yet.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:09 pm

dcchillin wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:Filling out the merit-aid only application is really quick. It only took me a couple minutes. Also, the confirmation email they sent me gives me the impression that the decision to apply only for merit aid is not irrevocable:

Odd, mine said "Dear God Amongst Men (and Women),"

Well that's pretty good, but by definition they'd consider me more amazing.

hth

dcchillin

Postby dcchillin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:10 pm

crackberry wrote:WTF, what does this line mean?:

"If you choose to apply for the post-graduate Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP), your assumed student contribution will be the cost of tuition for each of your three years in Law School."

Does that mean if I click merit-only I am opting out of LRAP? That is bullshit. I'm not going to qualify for need-based aid, but my mom isn't gonna pay for school. So I will be taking out loans but because I won't get need-aid, I don't qualify for LRAP?

Sounds about right. From the FAQs:

3. How does NYU Calculate My Student Contribution for LRAP Purposes?

NYU School of Law expects all students to contribute a significant portion of their personal assets towards their educational expenses over the course of three years. Individual student contributions are computed in accordance with federal and institutional guidelines, and therefore they will vary from one student to the next based on an individual’s assets and earnings. The amount of your student contribution will be based on the information that you provided on the NYU School of Law financial aid application and/or your FAFSA information upon entrance. If you did not complete the NYU School of Law application or the FAFSA, your assumed annual student contribution will be the cost of tuition. We do not recalculate or adjust a student contribution after the initial calculation, with the exception of summer earnings.

dcchillin

Postby dcchillin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:11 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
Sogui wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Wait, so the Dean's scholarship invitation was sent by snail mail?

If so, that gives me hope. I live in a city that has been practically on lockdown for a week, so I very well may not have received it yet.

Sent by email with a PDF attachment of that letter. Live in DC?

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:13 pm

I thought there was an option for merit-only with LRAP consideration, though I find it confusing and don't understand how selecting the LRAP option now affects the award calculation.

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:17 pm

just got the invite as well. definitely excited!

jasonportwood

Postby jasonportwood » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:22 pm

has anyone who applied for one of the named scholarships gotten these Dean's Scholarships e-mails?

Hoping they are waiting to tell me that I have been nominated for one of those instead... :?

dcchillin

Postby dcchillin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:23 pm

Actually, thinking about it, technically, you'd still be eligible for LRAP. Assuming cost of tuition over three years is around 150k, and the standard student expense budget for 3 years is around 190k, you'd have about 40k of LRAP qualifying debt. But then again, if you make 15k in any summer, that gets added to your student contribution, so you could end up with 0.

So, basically, if you're even considering LRAP, fill out the entire form.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:23 pm

owhlcn wrote:just got the invite as well. definitely excited!

Congrats! By e-mail or snail mail?

lz06

Postby lz06 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:25 pm

jasonportwood wrote:has anyone who applied for one of the named scholarships gotten these Dean's Scholarships e-mails?

Hoping they are waiting to tell me that I have been nominated for one of those instead... :?

I applied for a named scholarship and got the Dean's invitation... I'm not sure if this means I definitely didn't get the named one?

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:28 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
owhlcn wrote:just got the invite as well. definitely excited!

Congrats! By e-mail or snail mail?

Thanks! e-mail about a half hour ago.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:29 pm

Did anyone who got in very recently get the Dean's scholarship invitation? I'm kind of surprised not to get one, honestly. I mean, I'd be totally happy with NYU without money, but surely I am well within the range of getting an invite. I was only accepted a week ago, so maybe they didn't send it to recent admits?

Although people are still reporting invitations, so maybe I'll get one later. I hope so.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:32 pm

BenJ wrote:Did anyone who got in very recently get the Dean's scholarship invitation? I'm kind of surprised not to get one, honestly. I mean, I'd be totally happy with NYU without money, but surely I am well within the range of getting an invite. I was only accepted a week ago, so maybe they didn't send it to recent admits?

Although people are still reporting invitations, so maybe I'll get one later. I hope so.

I am hoping you're on to something. The fact that you haven not yet gotten one gives me hope, although my numbers are probably a bit low. I got in about 2 weeks ago.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:33 pm

For those of you who got the invitation, do you mind posting your stats so I know if there's hope or not?

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:34 pm

Don't worry, crack. I did the merit-only option and received this after I submitted it (see bold):
Dear babaghanouj,

Of course, if you already know you'll want to take advantage of LRAP, you might as well go ahead and disclose all the financial information (I think that was option C?).

EDIT: Just realized that this doesn't really answer your question about qualifying... :oops: I still think you'll be ok. I've never heard of a school denying LRAP to a student because of well-off parents...but I have been wrong before (e.g. this post)
Last edited by babaghanouj on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcchillin

Postby dcchillin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:37 pm

democrattotheend wrote:For those of you who got the invitation, do you mind posting your stats so I know if there's hope or not?

3.8/176

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:38 pm

I print-screened the .pdf guys, there are no snail mail invitations as far as I know.

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:39 pm

also got the e-mail. pretty excited :D

3.68/175

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”