In at NYU!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Foozle
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:04 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby Foozle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:58 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
lz06 wrote:ahhhh invitation for dean's scholarship... not expecting this at all! so happy!



Did you get it through mail??

Email, ~5-15 minutes ago.
Last edited by Foozle on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
babaghanouj
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby babaghanouj » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:58 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
lz06 wrote:ahhhh invitation for dean's scholarship... not expecting this at all! so happy!



Did you get it through mail??

It was emailed.

User avatar
Pankun
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby Pankun » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:59 pm

nixxers wrote:so..whats the story on the dean's scholarship? Anyone else get invited to apply? If I just filled out the application for merit aid only on the financial aid website, that's the form they mention in the invite letter, right?


Is that correct? The "Merit Aid Only" application? It wasn't clear to me on the email... I started doing the "Type A" application but it asked for adjusted gross income, etc

lz06
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:41 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby lz06 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:59 pm

the wording is confusing

brennanlives
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:48 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby brennanlives » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:02 pm

babaghanouj wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
lz06 wrote:ahhhh invitation for dean's scholarship... not expecting this at all! so happy!



Did you get it through mail??

It was emailed.


ditto!!! so excited this one doesn't involve an essay!

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:03 pm

Damn! No Deans Scholarship email

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby puppleberry finn » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:03 pm

how much is/can a deans scholarship be?

User avatar
babaghanouj
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby babaghanouj » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:03 pm

Quick question: does anyone know if NYU is at all like CLS when considering need aid? I shouldn't qualify for need aid and don't really want to go through the application for it, but if NYU has a history of using need aid as unofficial merit scholarships, then I'll definitely do it. Anyone know/remember from last year?

lz06
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:41 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby lz06 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:04 pm

puppleberry finn wrote:how much is/can a deans scholarship be?


It says minimum 10k but can be up to a full ride

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:05 pm

lz06 wrote:ahhhh invitation for dean's scholarship... not expecting this at all! so happy!


Wow, congrats! Are your numbers on LSN accurate? If so, that gives me a lot of hope, since we are practically number twins.

Did you get the scholarship, or get invited to apply for the scholarship? When did you get into NYU, and did the invitation come before or after you filed for financial aid? And did you select need or just merit, if you already filed?

Sorry to ask so many questions but you've given me hope!

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:06 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
lz06 wrote:ahhhh invitation for dean's scholarship... not expecting this at all! so happy!


Wow, congrats! Are your numbers on LSN accurate? If so, that gives me a lot of hope, since we are practically number twins.

Did you get the scholarship, or get invited to apply for the scholarship? When did you get into NYU, and did the invitation come before or after you filed for financial aid? And did you select need or just merit, if you already filed?

Sorry to ask so many questions but you've given me hope!


lz06 is a URM

lz06
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:41 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby lz06 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:07 pm

Ok I'm totally confused, I went to fill out the merit consideration only app and it says this "Select this option if you would like to be considered for merit scholarships only. You will not be considered for need-based scholarships." ...uh why would I not want be considered for need-based?

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby puppleberry finn » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:08 pm

lz06 wrote:
puppleberry finn wrote:how much is/can a deans scholarship be?


It says minimum 10k but can be up to a full ride


ah okay thanks.

lz06
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:41 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby lz06 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:11 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:
lz06 wrote:ahhhh invitation for dean's scholarship... not expecting this at all! so happy!


Wow, congrats! Are your numbers on LSN accurate? If so, that gives me a lot of hope, since we are practically number twins.

Did you get the scholarship, or get invited to apply for the scholarship? When did you get into NYU, and did the invitation come before or after you filed for financial aid? And did you select need or just merit, if you already filed?

Sorry to ask so many questions but you've given me hope!


lz06 is a URM


Well I'm Hispanic but not URM according to TLS. I think it's definitely given me a boost in scholarships but not really acceptances (no HLS or CLS yet)

and as for the questions... I got in in the first batch of December. Haven't filled out any financial info stuff yet. It's an invitation to apply so I haven't gotten the scholarship yet.

User avatar
babaghanouj
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby babaghanouj » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:13 pm

lz06 wrote:Ok I'm totally confused, I went to fill out the merit consideration only app and it says this "Select this option if you would like to be considered for merit scholarships only. You will not be considered for need-based scholarships." ...uh why would I not want be considered for need-based?

If you want to be considered for need-based aid, then select the option that says you will be considered for need-based aid too.

User avatar
Foozle
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:04 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby Foozle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:13 pm

lz06 wrote:Ok I'm totally confused, I went to fill out the merit consideration only app and it says this "Select this option if you would like to be considered for merit scholarships only. You will not be considered for need-based scholarships." ...uh why would I not want be considered for need-based?

I guess it's for people who know that they definitely won't qualify for need-based aid. The merit-based app, as I understand it, just involves confirming some demographic info and e-signing it (instead of filling in information about parent's assets, loan history, etc).

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:26 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:
lz06 wrote:ahhhh invitation for dean's scholarship... not expecting this at all! so happy!


Wow, congrats! Are your numbers on LSN accurate? If so, that gives me a lot of hope, since we are practically number twins.

Did you get the scholarship, or get invited to apply for the scholarship? When did you get into NYU, and did the invitation come before or after you filed for financial aid? And did you select need or just merit, if you already filed?

Sorry to ask so many questions but you've given me hope!


lz06 is a URM


Oh, oops. I thought you were the one who said you got the scholarship. Damn, got my hopes up!

jrgong
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby jrgong » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:33 pm

just got the merit invitation email too. sweet. is anyone else going to the first accepted student days in march?

ankit
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:48 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby ankit » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:38 pm

I don't really understand this. I thought the whole idea of the financial aid application was to be considered for merit+need based awards, including dean's scholarships. Does that mean that those of us who didn't receive an invite can only qualify for need based aid? It also strikes me as quite a change from previous cycles.

User avatar
babaghanouj
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby babaghanouj » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:39 pm

jrgong wrote:just got the merit invitation email too. sweet. is anyone else going to the first accepted student days in march?

I'll be there for the second day only. Can't wait.

User avatar
roxj
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:09 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby roxj » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:39 pm

Got the Dean's scholly e-mail too. Happy day. I'm URM, admitted in early December.

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby Sogui » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:40 pm

I just got the email too.

I'm a little confused, does this guarantee a scholarship if I apply? If not, what % chance am I looking at here for a scholly?

ankit
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:48 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby ankit » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:40 pm

roxj wrote:Got the Dean's scholly e-mail too. Happy day. I'm URM, admitted in early December.


Would someone mind posting the content of this e-mail? Thanks!

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:46 pm

ankit wrote:I don't really understand this. I thought the whole idea of the financial aid application was to be considered for merit+need based awards, including dean's scholarships. Does that mean that those of us who didn't receive an invite can only qualify for need based aid? It also strikes me as quite a change from previous cycles.


I was just wondering the same thing. If we did not get this e-mail, does that mean we won't get any merit aid? What about the named scholarships I applied for?

Also, is it possible that more of these e-mails will go out, or if we did not get one by now should we assume we aren't?

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:54 pm

Just got the application too, yay! I will probably be at the first ASW in March, too.

On another note, is anyone else really loving the little pocket-sized map of Manhattan they sent? It's so tiny, yet so thorough!

I am also amused by the surely-intentional omission of Morningside Heights in the map. I mean, they had a choice. Without even having to fold the map a different way, they had a choice about which corners to block out. So, which is more important: Randalls Island Park + a big empty patch of the Hudson River, or some of Brooklyn + PART OF MANHATTAN? Real subtle, NYU.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”