In at NYU!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hannah87

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby hannah87 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:22 pm

CanadianEH wrote:Is it fair to say that aid is more easily come by at Columbia than NYU?

Also, is COL more or less in Morningside Heights than it is in the village?

not sure about aid, but COL is typically higher in the village.

regatsrj

Postby regatsrj » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:24 pm

Is anyone else having trouble logging in to the admitted students' website? I was able to before, but now I can't :(

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:34 pm

hannah87 wrote:
CanadianEH wrote:Is it fair to say that aid is more easily come by at Columbia than NYU?

NYU has been pretty stingy with aid in the past (mainly because they give out big scholarships that are full tuition that you have to apply for). Columbia is a lot more liberal with merit aid. And COL is much higher in the village but I don't know who would want to live there anyway, even if they went to NYU (kidding...sort of...I know some people love GV).

I think that a person with numbers at NYU's 75ths can expect about 10K per year (they do a weird 10K the first two years, 5K the last year unless you do PI work in the summer, in which case you get 10K the third year too). To get much more than that, you have to apply for the scholarships they list on the application.

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:46 pm

regatsrj wrote:Is anyone else having trouble logging in to the admitted students' website? I was able to before, but now I can't :(

+++++++++++++++++1 I haven't been able to get in since a couple weeks ago no matter what I do.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:59 pm

VoidSix wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

NYU has been pretty stingy with aid in the past (mainly because they give out big scholarships that are full tuition that you have to apply for). Columbia is a lot more liberal with merit aid. And COL is much higher in the village but I don't know who would want to live there anyway, even if they went to NYU (kidding...sort of...I know some people love GV).

I think that a person with numbers at NYU's 75ths can expect about 10K per year (they do a weird 10K the first two years, 5K the last year unless you do PI work in the summer, in which case you get 10K the third year too). To get much more than that, you have to apply for the scholarships they list on the application.

considering we are near numbers twins, what do you think the chance of $$$ from NYU is for us 3.9 ish 173's? Or is the application process more holistic and its based on your essay/app?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:03 pm

I would expect us to get $25,000 or more.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:04 pm

VoidSix wrote:I would expect us to get $25,000 or more.

Am I missing something? Is that supposed to be a three-year figure?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:06 pm

crackberry wrote:

Yeah. Like I stated above, NYU seems to have a 10k for 1L, 2L and 5K for 3L dean's scholarship that they give out. Doyleoil, who is a 1L at Chicago now, got that offer and he was a 3.9X, 174 guy. If you work PI during your 2L summer you get the extra 5K your last year.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:15 pm

VoidSix wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Yeah. Like I stated above, NYU seems to have a 10k for 1L, 2L and 5K for 3L dean's scholarship that they give out. Doyleoil, who is a 1L at Chicago now, got that offer and he was a 3.9X, 174 guy. If you work PI during your 2L summer you get the extra 5K your last year.

I was actually talking about the full tuition scholarships that require an application. Do we have a shot at them, or are they mostly reserved for 176+ LSAT or something?

wackadoodle

Postby wackadoodle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:25 pm

when do you think we should start hearing if we are finalists for the full tuition scholarships that were on the application- any idea how competitive they are/how many finalists get interviews?

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:20 pm

wackadoodle wrote:when do you think we should start hearing if we are finalists for the full tuition scholarships that were on the application- any idea how competitive they are/how many finalists get interviews?

Actually kind of wondering this myself. I applied for the RTK public interest one. I'm not sure if my numbers are strong enough, but I figured what the hell, I have a 75th% LSAT and perhaps not as many put in for this one because you have to forego biglaw.

radgrad

Postby radgrad » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:31 pm

mockstar wrote:
regatsrj wrote:Is anyone else having trouble logging in to the admitted students' website? I was able to before, but now I can't :(

+++++++++++++++++1 I haven't been able to get in since a couple weeks ago no matter what I do.

had the same problem and emailed them- apparently it works *only* if you go to the law.nyu website, and click over to it that way.

sent the following instructions:

1 – Open up a browser and go to http://www.law.nyu.edu

2 – Click on the “Admissions” tab at the top of the page.

3 – On the Admissions page, click on the “J.D. Admissions” link in the left navigation.

4 – On the J.D. Admissions page, click on the “Admitted Student” link on the left navigation.

5 – On the Admitted Student login page, please enter your username and password.

hope that helps!

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:52 pm

radgrad wrote:
mockstar wrote:

had the same problem and emailed them- apparently it works *only* if you go to the law.nyu website, and click over to it that way.

sent the following instructions:

1 – Open up a browser and go to http://www.law.nyu.edu

2 – Click on the “Admissions” tab at the top of the page.

3 – On the Admissions page, click on the “J.D. Admissions” link in the left navigation.

4 – On the J.D. Admissions page, click on the “Admitted Student” link on the left navigation.

5 – On the Admitted Student login page, please enter your username and password.

hope that helps!

Ooooooooh thanks! I just had it bookmarked, which is why I guess it isn't working. Kind of odd, but NYU's website just really really sucks in general. Harsh but true. Thanks for the tip!

Series70

Postby Series70 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:10 pm

CanadianEH wrote: Also, is COL more or less in Morningside Heights than it is in the village?

It depends. At market value, rent is usually higher in the village, but ridiculously expensive in both places. Columbia's student housing is a good deal, though, and makes living in Manhattan at least feasible. (I don't know about NYU's, so I can't comment.)

As for food and what not, it's actually about the same in both places, except you'll get a much better value for your money in the village in terms of quality. The supermarkets and restaurants around Columbia are overpriced and not all that good, while those around NYU are much better. Plus, at NYU you have the Dosa cart, just outside the law school. You could seriously do lunch for $5. By way of comparison, Hamilton Deli (just across from the law school) has much lower quality samosas at a slightly higher price. On the flip side, I know Columbia often has FREE food (pizza etc.) available for its law students. Not bad!

NYU is within walking distance of just about everywhere, so you can save a lot on subway fare. (Being able to actually afford taxis is something I have yet to achieve.) If you cook, you can seriously walk to Chinatown and load up on cheap fruit and vegetables. In Morningside Heights, your best bet is probably to get deliveries from Fresh Direct (or go on food stamps).

Regardless of whether I go to NYU or CLS, I'm staying put in Brooklyn, where COL is significantly lower.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:16 pm

Anyone get the invitation for the Washington DC event at Arnold & Porter? I think I might attend

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:43 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Anyone get the invitation for the Washington DC event at Arnold & Porter? I think I might attend

There's one in SF too. I'll be going since I probably won't be at ASW, given that they won't foot the bill.

wackadoodle

Postby wackadoodle » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:15 pm

scribelaw wrote:
wackadoodle wrote:when do you think we should start hearing if we are finalists for the full tuition scholarships that were on the application- any idea how competitive they are/how many finalists get interviews?

Actually kind of wondering this myself. I applied for the RTK public interest one. I'm not sure if my numbers are strong enough, but I figured what the hell, I have a 75th% LSAT and perhaps not as many put in for this one because you have to forego biglaw.

ditto- i have zero interest in biglaw so an absurd amount of debt isn't really doable-also im a high LSAT splitter- splitters ever have luck w/ scholarships?

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:16 pm

wackadoodle wrote:
scribelaw wrote:

ditto- i have zero interest in biglaw so an absurd amount of debt isn't really doable-also im a high LSAT splitter- splitters ever have luck w/ scholarships?

Youll be working at Goliath National Bank within a year

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:17 pm

wackadoodle wrote:
scribelaw wrote:

What are your numbers?

Scholarships like this, I'm not sure how much numbers matter versus the essays, etc. I'd imagine if they're going to spend a fully scholly on you, they might want someone who is turning down HYS or at least CC to do it.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:43 pm

Just got the purple envelope this afternoon - I'm in! For those wondering, I applied 1/1, went complete 1/20, and my stats are in my profile.

wackadoodle

Postby wackadoodle » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:58 pm

scribelaw wrote:
wackadoodle wrote:
scribelaw wrote:

What are your numbers?

Scholarships like this, I'm not sure how much numbers matter versus the essays, etc. I'd imagine if they're going to spend a fully scholly on you, they might want someone who is turning down HYS or at least CC to do it.

3.6/176, pretty good softs- in @ columbia, held @ harvard- applied for the rtk, anbryce & tfa

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:07 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Anyone get the invitation for the Washington DC event at Arnold & Porter? I think I might attend

I am in DC and did not get it, but I just got my acceptance letter today. When is the event at A&P, and when did you get accepted?

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:04 pm

Anybody have access again to the institutional aid application that was supposed to be added back on as of today? I can't find it on the admitted students site anymore.

chizUFL

Postby chizUFL » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:30 pm

Found that lovely purple envelope in my mailbox today (I thought it would be a darker purple)! Logged on to the admitted student website a few days ago, but still, something very reassuring about getting the official letter.

This is the best school I've been accepted to (so far, hopefully). Now I just have to decide if tuition and COL for 3 years in NYC are feasible!

jacosta6

Postby jacosta6 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:17 pm

Dtackpat75 wrote:Anybody have access again to the institutional aid application that was supposed to be added back on as of today? I can't find it on the admitted students site anymore.

I've been looking for the application too. It looks like they changed the access date to mid to late February.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”