In at NYU!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
kumba84
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:40 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby kumba84 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:30 am

ankit wrote:
jasonportwood wrote:
englawyer wrote:oh i thought i read the academic scholarship programs also required the financial aid form..maybe i misread


this is my understanding as well... if you expect any sort of aid from nyu, they ask you to fill out the form.


This is what their presentation on financial aid states (found on the FAAPS website) -

Institutional aid (Scholarships)
- Academic Scholars Awards (Furman, Housing and Urban Policy, Criminal Law, etc.)
- Named Program Awards (AnBryce, Root Tilden Kern, Teach for America, etc.)
- Dean’s Awards (Combination Need and Merit)


That's why I got the impression that they require the form only for the dean's awards, as those are the ones awarded based on need + merit. Anyway I could easily be wrong about this, so I'm filling them out early just to be on the safe side.


On their website, it states that between RTK finalists who are otherwise equal, the recipient will be selected based on need. I doubt this ever really happens, though.

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby neimanmarxist » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:18 am

Sorry for the kind of random question-- but *is* there an online status checker at NYU law ? I didn't find a link to one in their e-mails or on the JD Admissions website.

User avatar
kumba84
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:40 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby kumba84 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:28 am

neimanmarxist wrote:Sorry for the kind of random question-- but *is* there an online status checker at NYU law ? I didn't find a link to one in their e-mails or on the JD Admissions website.


No status checker. You may or may not get a complete email--I never did, and was accepted.

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby neimanmarxist » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:30 am

thanks for responding.
I guess I'll just sit here quietly in the dark, then.
(sighs).

mockstar
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby mockstar » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:48 pm

Does anybody else have serious problems with the admitted students website? Sometimes I can log in and sometimes I can't. It will literally take me 10 times sometimes before it finally recognizes my password.

mwazaumoja
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby mwazaumoja » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:05 pm

Regarding Admitted Student Weekends:

I would recommend not going to the events with your parents. I'm a 1L, and met a good portion of my current friends at the various mixers (they love getting you drunk) during ASWs. I'm not saying your parents shouldn't come at all, I just wouldn't come with mine.

However, if you choose to bring your girlfriend, that should be fine. A lot of married students come with their spouse.

a.shoshana
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:43 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby a.shoshana » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:54 am

TheWire wrote:
a.shoshana wrote:Just rsvp'ed for the March 25-26 ASD!! Anyone else coming?


I believe that will be the weekend that I'm attending...I'm not sure if I'm entering the right profession for this, but drinks anyone? TITCR: @ ASW ---> "Drinks...Duh"


Screw "right profession"... I'm taking you up on this.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby englawyer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:21 am

i am also in for march 25/26 most likely

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby tintin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:39 pm

where do you guys plan on staying for ASW?? I am really worried about the cost of the whole thing, because it involves flying out from CA for me....

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby englawyer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:41 pm


0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:31 pm

Anyone know when Scholly info comes out for NYU?

User avatar
roxj
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:09 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby roxj » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:45 pm

tintin wrote:where do you guys plan on staying for ASW?? I am really worried about the cost of the whole thing, because it involves flying out from CA for me....


I'm dealing with the same thing. I'm in Seattle and I really want to come see NYU. I have friends in undergrad at Georgetown (DC) and John Hopkins (Baltimore), so I think I'm going to crash with them and take a bus into the city, which I heard is $15-20 each way, ie still cheaper than a hotel. Then again, if ASW starts at 8:30 on Saturday morning or something, I'm going to need a new plan.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby crackberry » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:46 pm

I am still profoundly confused about the way merit aid works at NYU.

I applied for one of the Law Scholars Programs (not a named scholarship like RTK, but the Environmental Law Scholars Program). If they want me to interview for that, I assume they will let me know and things will take care of themselves. On the other hand, if I don't get it, do I need to fill out the merit aid form on the admitted students site? People have tried explaining this before, but I haven't found an explanation I understand yet.

What's the deal?

mockstar
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby mockstar » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:28 pm

roxj wrote:
tintin wrote:where do you guys plan on staying for ASW?? I am really worried about the cost of the whole thing, because it involves flying out from CA for me....


I'm dealing with the same thing. I'm in Seattle and I really want to come see NYU. I have friends in undergrad at Georgetown (DC) and John Hopkins (Baltimore), so I think I'm going to crash with them and take a bus into the city, which I heard is $15-20 each way, ie still cheaper than a hotel. Then again, if ASW starts at 8:30 on Saturday morning or something, I'm going to need a new plan.


I'm still trying to figure out hwere I'm staying too. Roxj, you do know that that is a several hour bus ride, right? I know I have no concept of how far apart things are on the west coast (being an east coaster), so I just wanted to make sure. The website has the schedule for how early things start. Can't remember off the top of my head how far it is. But it's also my understanding that people go out and get to know each other and things like that, so I don't know if you want to pigeonhole yourself like that either, having to take a bus back at the end of the day.

ankit
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:48 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby ankit » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:40 pm

crackberry wrote:I am still profoundly confused about the way merit aid works at NYU.

I applied for one of the Law Scholars Programs (not a named scholarship like RTK, but the Environmental Law Scholars Program). If they want me to interview for that, I assume they will let me know and things will take care of themselves. On the other hand, if I don't get it, do I need to fill out the merit aid form on the admitted students site? People have tried explaining this before, but I haven't found an explanation I understand yet.

What's the deal?


The simple answer is, everyone should fill out their financial aid application form once it becomes available on the Admitted Students Website (1st Feb 2010 onwards). They will mainly use this form for the non-named scholarships, but according to some posters, they claim to use it to break ties for the named scholarships as well. Anyway just complete the form once it's available, and the process will kick in by itself after you do.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby crackberry » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 pm

ankit wrote:
crackberry wrote:I am still profoundly confused about the way merit aid works at NYU.

I applied for one of the Law Scholars Programs (not a named scholarship like RTK, but the Environmental Law Scholars Program). If they want me to interview for that, I assume they will let me know and things will take care of themselves. On the other hand, if I don't get it, do I need to fill out the merit aid form on the admitted students site? People have tried explaining this before, but I haven't found an explanation I understand yet.

What's the deal?


The simple answer is, everyone should fill out their financial aid application form once it becomes available on the Admitted Students Website (1st Feb 2010 onwards). They will mainly use this form for the non-named scholarships, but according to some posters, they claim to use it to break ties for the named scholarships as well. Anyway just complete the form once it's available, and the process will kick in by itself after you do.

Ok. I appreciate the quick response. Available Feb. 1 you say?

User avatar
musketeerlady
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby musketeerlady » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:16 pm

To those looking for a place to stay in NYC: if you don't want to crash at random strangers' places from Couch Surfing or Air B&B, there are affordable hostels. Dorm bed, nothing fancy, might not be close to NYU, but it's usually $30 or so a night. When I first came to NYC, I stayed at a hostel near Central Park in the 100s street, and it was safe. NYU Law is at West 4 stop on the B,D,F,V,A,C,E train, so as long as the hostel is near one of those trains it's convenient.

I'm surprised that NYU doesn't offer hosting by current students?

ankit
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:48 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby ankit » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:22 pm

crackberry wrote:
ankit wrote:
crackberry wrote:I am still profoundly confused about the way merit aid works at NYU.

I applied for one of the Law Scholars Programs (not a named scholarship like RTK, but the Environmental Law Scholars Program). If they want me to interview for that, I assume they will let me know and things will take care of themselves. On the other hand, if I don't get it, do I need to fill out the merit aid form on the admitted students site? People have tried explaining this before, but I haven't found an explanation I understand yet.

What's the deal?


The simple answer is, everyone should fill out their financial aid application form once it becomes available on the Admitted Students Website (1st Feb 2010 onwards). They will mainly use this form for the non-named scholarships, but according to some posters, they claim to use it to break ties for the named scholarships as well. Anyway just complete the form once it's available, and the process will kick in by itself after you do.

Ok. I appreciate the quick response. Available Feb. 1 you say?


Yep Feb 1st, and they start reviewing applications in early March. That's what they told me in a recent e-mail.

User avatar
Dtackpat75
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby Dtackpat75 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:43 pm

roxj wrote:
tintin wrote:where do you guys plan on staying for ASW?? I am really worried about the cost of the whole thing, because it involves flying out from CA for me....


I'm dealing with the same thing. I'm in Seattle and I really want to come see NYU. I have friends in undergrad at Georgetown (DC) and John Hopkins (Baltimore), so I think I'm going to crash with them and take a bus into the city, which I heard is $15-20 each way, ie still cheaper than a hotel. Then again, if ASW starts at 8:30 on Saturday morning or something, I'm going to need a new plan.


Am I missing something here? This seems absurd. Taking a bus into Manhattan from Johns Hopkins or Georgetown. That is madness.

User avatar
roxj
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:09 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby roxj » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:15 am

mockstar wrote:
roxj wrote:
tintin wrote:where do you guys plan on staying for ASW?? I am really worried about the cost of the whole thing, because it involves flying out from CA for me....


I'm dealing with the same thing. I'm in Seattle and I really want to come see NYU. I have friends in undergrad at Georgetown (DC) and John Hopkins (Baltimore), so I think I'm going to crash with them and take a bus into the city, which I heard is $15-20 each way, ie still cheaper than a hotel. Then again, if ASW starts at 8:30 on Saturday morning or something, I'm going to need a new plan.


I'm still trying to figure out hwere I'm staying too. Roxj, you do know that that is a several hour bus ride, right? I know I have no concept of how far apart things are on the west coast (being an east coaster), so I just wanted to make sure. The website has the schedule for how early things start. Can't remember off the top of my head how far it is. But it's also my understanding that people go out and get to know each other and things like that, so I don't know if you want to pigeonhole yourself like that either, having to take a bus back at the end of the day.


I think it's 2.5 hours each way. I guess I'd have to be pretty desperate to go roundtrip several days in a row. The hostel is sounding like a smart alternative. I stayed in hostels all over Europe. They aren't glamorous but for what you're paying, I can't complain.

psychomohel
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby psychomohel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:22 am

roxj wrote:
mockstar wrote:
roxj wrote:
tintin wrote:where do you guys plan on staying for ASW?? I am really worried about the cost of the whole thing, because it involves flying out from CA for me....


I'm dealing with the same thing. I'm in Seattle and I really want to come see NYU. I have friends in undergrad at Georgetown (DC) and John Hopkins (Baltimore), so I think I'm going to crash with them and take a bus into the city, which I heard is $15-20 each way, ie still cheaper than a hotel. Then again, if ASW starts at 8:30 on Saturday morning or something, I'm going to need a new plan.


I'm still trying to figure out hwere I'm staying too. Roxj, you do know that that is a several hour bus ride, right? I know I have no concept of how far apart things are on the west coast (being an east coaster), so I just wanted to make sure. The website has the schedule for how early things start. Can't remember off the top of my head how far it is. But it's also my understanding that people go out and get to know each other and things like that, so I don't know if you want to pigeonhole yourself like that either, having to take a bus back at the end of the day.


I think it's 2.5 hours each way. I guess I'd have to be pretty desperate to go roundtrip several days in a row. The hostel is sounding like a smart alternative. I stayed in hostels all over Europe. They aren't glamorous but for what you're paying, I can't complain.


It's more like four hours.

dcchillin
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:49 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby dcchillin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:18 am

Didn't see anyone mention this, but I got the viewbook and faculty book today in a welcome packet from NYU. Just an FYI

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby crackberry » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:21 am

dcchillin wrote:Didn't see anyone mention this, but I got the viewbook and faculty book today in a welcome packet from NYU. Just an FYI

You're fashionably late to that party.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:22 am

dcchillin wrote:Didn't see anyone mention this, but I got the viewbook and faculty book today in a welcome packet from NYU. Just an FYI


Got it this weekend.

mwazaumoja
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby mwazaumoja » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:36 am

An NYU student living in one of the dorms will likely be who you stay with. They want you to come and they make the experience as painless as possible.

In a similar vein, applying for financial aid is similarly painless. You sign some papers, and a large check goes to the school, and an equally large check goes to your bank account. The federal government will handle everything, no need to stress over private lenders.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Bob loblaw law blog, Cfitz, Daaltaraan and 19 guests