In at NYU!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby crackberry » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:17 pm

So NYU is not as cool as Berkeley/Stanford/etc., which fund admits' travel to admitted students weekend right? I'm from NYC and my family still lives there (though I currently live in SF) and I'd love to go back for free.

User avatar
The Dan
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby The Dan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:23 pm

So... is it safe to assume we're on our own for finding lodging for the admitted students days? I didn't see anything about it on the website.

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby Rand M. » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:32 pm

The Dan wrote:So... is it safe to assume we're on our own for finding lodging for the admitted students days? I didn't see anything about it on the website.


The only talk I see is where they say they have hotel suggestions, but nothing about compensation.

EDIT: I think I have heard something in the past about them compensating people who demonstrate very serious financial need (i.e. someone who would not be going otherwise). Their class is way to large to compensate everyone who asks like some others do.
Last edited by Rand M. on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

holborn
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby holborn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:32 pm

The Dan wrote:So... is it safe to assume we're on our own for finding lodging for the admitted students days? I didn't see anything about it on the website.


If i remember correctly there was a lodgings section that said you could find a list of nearby hotels somewhere on the site. So yeah, looks like its all on us.

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:03 pm

Anyone know when Scholarship information comes out for NYU?

j nyc
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:43 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby j nyc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:41 pm

-
Last edited by j nyc on Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dtackpat75
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby Dtackpat75 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:06 pm

j nyc wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Anyone know when Scholarship information comes out for NYU?


some info is listed on the bottom of the FAQs section in the admitted students part of the website. seems like most interviews are conducted late march / early april.

i really wish i had put more work into my scholarship essay for the academic scholars program. seems like the more time that goes by the more i realize what a great opportunity it would be for me and my interest in urban policy... oh well here's to hoping.

my question is....
at this link (LinkRemoved) for dean's award information ( merit aid), it states "To be considered for a Dean’s Award scholarship, individuals must complete the NYU School of Law financial aid application. This application is available to all admitted students and may be accessed through the Admitted Students link."

but that's not up yet, right?



Thats the impression I am under. I believe it says somewhere it will be available mid to late Feb.

ankit
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:48 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby ankit » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:39 pm

Dtackpat75 wrote:
j nyc wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Anyone know when Scholarship information comes out for NYU?


some info is listed on the bottom of the FAQs section in the admitted students part of the website. seems like most interviews are conducted late march / early april.

i really wish i had put more work into my scholarship essay for the academic scholars program. seems like the more time that goes by the more i realize what a great opportunity it would be for me and my interest in urban policy... oh well here's to hoping.

my question is....
at this link (LinkRemoved) for dean's award information ( merit aid), it states "To be considered for a Dean’s Award scholarship, individuals must complete the NYU School of Law financial aid application. This application is available to all admitted students and may be accessed through the Admitted Students link."

but that's not up yet, right?



Thats the impression I am under. I believe it says somewhere it will be available mid to late Feb.


Its up - https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html

Found the link on the Admitted Students Website. Anyway guess we can begin the painful process of completing this darn form....

User avatar
kumba84
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:40 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby kumba84 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:02 am

Hi everyone, I'll likely be deciding between Boalt and NYU, but I'm abroad and my employment contract doesn't end until one week after NYU's seat deposit is due. Should I ask the admissions office for a two-week extension so that I can visit before making a decision? There's no way I can afford to fly back to the U.S. before my contract ends, but I'm not sure how schools view this sort of request...

anonymous5042
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:00 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby anonymous5042 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:12 am

Kumba,

If you've already been accepted then, really, you've got nothing to lose. What's the worst they can say? No?

It's not like they're going to rescind your offer.

Send them an e-mail and see what they say.

User avatar
forza
Posts: 2777
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby forza » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:29 am

Shieza... late March/early April?

That's dreadfully close to the deadline for grabbing your seat at most law schools, no?

wjnahill
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby wjnahill » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:35 am

has anyone been accepted or heard back that was a december lsat retaker? (or taker?)

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:40 am

wjnahill wrote:has anyone been accepted or heard back that was a december lsat retaker? (or taker?)



nope

wjnahill
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby wjnahill » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:43 am

talibkweli wrote:
wjnahill wrote:has anyone been accepted or heard back that was a december lsat retaker? (or taker?)



nope


1,2,3 gotta love talib kweli. best poster on the forum, way-ooo.

a.shoshana
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:43 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby a.shoshana » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:01 pm

Just rsvp'ed for the March 25-26 ASD!! Anyone else coming?

User avatar
highprofessionalism
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby highprofessionalism » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:17 pm

Btw, I am in! Got the letter dated 1/8 yesterday. Very awesome.

Thinking of going to the March 4-5 ASD...

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby englawyer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:18 pm

when is the financial aid form due for scholly consideration? by march?

mockstar
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby mockstar » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:19 pm

a.shoshana wrote:Just rsvp'ed for the March 25-26 ASD!! Anyone else coming?


I haven't RSVPed yet (I'm waiting until tomorrow to get the syllabus for my Thursday class to see if I have a test or anything), but I'm 99% sure I'm going to that one.

lz06
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:41 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby lz06 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:28 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm going to the April 8-9 one. Anyone else??

User avatar
WrappedUpInBooks
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:19 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:36 pm

RSVPed to March 4th and 5th!

User avatar
summerschooled
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby summerschooled » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:37 pm

lz06 wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm going to the April 8-9 one. Anyone else??

I think I am too, but I still have to look into flights.

User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby TheWire » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:38 pm

a.shoshana wrote:Just rsvp'ed for the March 25-26 ASD!! Anyone else coming?


I believe that will be the weekend that I'm attending...I'm not sure if I'm entering the right profession for this, but drinks anyone? TITCR: @ ASW ---> "Drinks...Duh"

holborn
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby holborn » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:41 pm

WrappedUpInBooks wrote:RSVPed to March 4th and 5th!


Me too! Luckily I live in Manhattan so I don't have to look into flights.

User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby TheWire » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:49 pm

Does anyone know if it is taboo to bring a SO with you. My gf really wants to make the east coast trip with me, but I'm not sure if this is suppose to be an admits-only event. Has anyone else heard any info that would be helpful?

User avatar
WrappedUpInBooks
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:19 am

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:51 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
WrappedUpInBooks wrote:RSVPed to March 4th and 5th!


Me too! Luckily I live in Manhattan so I don't have to look into flights.


I live in Manhattan as well, which is nice since they don't seem to help with travel/accommodations at all.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Nickel94, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests