In at NYU!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WrappedUpInBooks

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:08 pm

Jornste wrote:Does anyone know anything about ASW?

The dates are on the calendar: http://www.law.nyu.edu/admissions/jdadm ... /index.htm

ChildPlease

Postby ChildPlease » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:34 am

ankit wrote:
ChildPlease wrote:Anyone know when NYU sends out regular scholarship offers that we didn't have to apply for?

Yep....once the admitted students website is up, we'll have to enter our financial details for consideration. They then start making offers around end Feb, and this process goes on till early April if I'm not wrong.

Hope this helps.

It does. Thanks.

aad

Postby aad » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:49 pm

Does anybody know anything about the deferral policy at NYU?

R. Hood

Postby R. Hood » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:40 pm

In ya'll. Postmarked 12.1.2009, but just got it (never check my mailbox - oops). Anyways, anyone know when they start letting people know about the scholarship programs?

march319

Postby march319 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:16 pm

R. Hood wrote:In ya'll. Postmarked 12.1.2009, but just got it (never check my mailbox - oops). Anyways, anyone know when they start letting people know about the scholarship programs?

Question for everyone: Does NYU have a status checker? And how do you find out if you are accepted? Is it by email first or does a purple envelope arrive in the mail randomly :lol: ?

lsathalon

Postby lsathalon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Question for everyone: Does NYU have a status checker? And how do you find out if you are accepted? Is it by email first or does a purple envelope arrive in the mail randomly :lol: ?

There is no status checker. You may or may not get a complete email, and hopefully a purple envelope appears out of the blue to brighten an otherwise normal day!

facetious

Postby facetious » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:20 pm

march319 wrote:
R. Hood wrote:In ya'll. Postmarked 12.1.2009, but just got it (never check my mailbox - oops). Anyways, anyone know when they start letting people know about the scholarship programs?

nope, no status checker. just check your mailbox compulsively.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:21 pm

lsathalon wrote:

There is no status checker. You may or may not get a complete email, and hopefully a purple envelope appears out of the blue to brighten an otherwise normal day!

So true.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:39 pm

glad to join this thread :P

NYC is a great option for me for many reasons. what are thoughts on NYU vs CLS?

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:56 pm

englawyer wrote:glad to join this thread :P

Welcome. At the moment I have only gotten into NYU, so for now NYU>CLS. But seriously, I think they both have a lot to offer and one would have to visit and see which one would be the best fit. I think by most objective measures CLS>NYU, but a lot of people choose NYU because of culture and location. I think it really is a personal choice and there really isn't a wrong choice; both are tremendous schools.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:02 pm

I get the sense that for corporate law and NYC elite BigLaw, CLS is definitely better. For everything else, I think things are less cut and dry. Both have great LRAPs, but I think NYU has more of a rep for PI than CLS. Neither places particularly well (relative to HYSChicago) into academia or clerkships, from what I understand.

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:16 am

So to move the discussion on over here to the proper thread, and to inform those who are not privy to this wonderful information, the admitted students site is now up and running! Some are having trouble at first, myself included, but fear not--it will work eventually if you keep trying.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:19 am

mockstar wrote:So to move the discussion on over here to the proper thread, and to inform those who are not privy to this wonderful information, the admitted students site is now up and running! Some are having trouble at first, myself included, but fear not--it will work eventually if you keep trying.

awesome, could you post a link to it here? how does the login work?

thanks

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:22 am

GargamelITT wrote:
mockstar wrote:So to move the discussion on over here to the proper thread, and to inform those who are not privy to this wonderful information, the admitted students site is now up and running! Some are having trouble at first, myself included, but fear not--it will work eventually if you keep trying.

awesome, could you post a link to it here? how does the login work?

thanks

https://its.law.nyu.edu/admitted/login/ ... mplate=new

Just follow the instructions: Username is your SSN and birthdate (with slashes) is the password. I got an error page the first few times I tried. But then I let it sit for a while and tried again and it worked. I think they might still be figuring it out and allowing people access.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:25 am

Signing in to this thread (a bit late). Congrats to everyone in so far, and those who'll be joining later!

citydweller09

Postby citydweller09 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:27 am

I tried the admitted students site just now. I got the OOPS page. It let me change my password though, so I guess that's sort of progress ( ?? )

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:35 am

citydweller09 wrote:I tried the admitted students site just now. I got the OOPS page. It let me change my password though, so I guess that's sort of progress ( ?? )

+1 to all of this

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:39 am

englawyer wrote:
citydweller09 wrote:I tried the admitted students site just now. I got the OOPS page. It let me change my password though, so I guess that's sort of progress ( ?? )

+1 to all of this

I got in no problem

aguyingeorgia

Postby aguyingeorgia » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:55 am

Rand M. wrote:

Welcome. At the moment I have only gotten into NYU, so for now NYU>CLS. But seriously, I think they both have a lot to offer and one would have to visit and see which one would be the best fit. I think by most objective measures CLS>NYU, but a lot of people choose NYU because of culture and location. I think it really is a personal choice and there really isn't a wrong choice; both are tremendous schools.

This is fairly ridiculous. By what "objective measures" do you make that statement? And, do you really think that people are making their decisions based on culture and location? BOTH ARE great schools, but a lot more goes into it than that.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:19 am

aguyingeorgia wrote:
Rand M. wrote:

This is fairly ridiculous. By what "objective measures" do you make that statement? And, do you really think that people are making their decisions based on culture and location? BOTH ARE great schools, but a lot more goes into it than that.

By most metrics I have seen Columbia seems to outdo NYU by varying margins. If you go through the Leiter rankings (and most of the categories therein--clerkships, teaching, elite firm, student quality, faculty quality), placement statistics, or even simple 'firm searches' on their pages Columbia outshines NYU sometimes on sheer volume (let alone on a per capita basis). I don't really care that much either way. I said that they are both schools and certainly in the same league. But if you are trying to find differences between the two schools, there are some.

With regards to the other point, I don't really see what I said that is so outlandish. I'm sure that whatever other factors you are talking about when you say "a lot more goes into it that that" can be neatly filed under culture. All I meant is that both are fairly different and will appeal to audiences in different ways.

Not sorry if I offended, but sorry if I offended.

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:05 am

aguyingeorgia wrote:And, do you really think that people are making their decisions based on culture and location? BOTH ARE great schools, but a lot more goes into it than that.

i think some people do

to each his or her own, i guess

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:28 pm

Just marking this page. Got in a while ago and NYU is moving up my list based on personal considerations and the fact that it's the best school I've gotten into so far. If I get accepted to Columbia it will be a difficult decision. I'd like to live in the city for 3 years just to say I've done it, and I like the overall atmosphere of it.

kinch

Postby kinch » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:56 pm

Accepted students website is up, just got the email.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:12 pm

kinch wrote:Accepted students website is up, just got the email.

+1/

humdrum

Postby humdrum » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:12 pm

kinch wrote:Accepted students website is up, just got the email.

ASD itineraries! I'm going on March 4-5, most likely.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”