In at NYU!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Rand M.

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby Rand M. » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:52 pm

hoopsguy6 wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
hoopsguy6 wrote:Got my purple admissions packet + viewbook after coming home from vacation. Never got a status checker or application complete email or anything.

Wait, you got the viewbook? Or the magazine? If it is the former I am truly jealous.

Just checked; it's the magazine. Just assumed it was a viewbook since every other school sent viewbooks.

Oh ok. They said the viewbook should be coming soon, and supposedly the admitted students site should open up in the middle of this month. When I saw the size of the package I thought it was the viewbook as well. The magazine was pretty good, but the viewbook will be more useful. Their website is pretty stingy with information compared to other T14s so it will be interesting to see whats in the viewbook. Thanks for clearing that up though.

amidea

Postby amidea » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:38 pm

What's the difference between the viewbook and a magazine?

aguyingeorgia

Postby aguyingeorgia » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Rand M. wrote:
hoopsguy6 wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
hoopsguy6 wrote:Got my purple admissions packet + viewbook after coming home from vacation. Never got a status checker or application complete email or anything.

Wait, you got the viewbook? Or the magazine? If it is the former I am truly jealous.

Just checked; it's the magazine. Just assumed it was a viewbook since every other school sent viewbooks.

Oh ok. They said the viewbook should be coming soon, and supposedly the admitted students site should open up in the middle of this month. When I saw the size of the package I thought it was the viewbook as well. The magazine was pretty good, but the viewbook will be more useful. Their website is pretty stingy with information compared to other T14s so it will be interesting to see whats in the viewbook. Thanks for clearing that up though.

Stingy. LOL. What information are you looking for? I'm sure some lovely NYU kids would love to help you out. Happy New year everyone!

aguyingeorgia

Postby aguyingeorgia » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:20 pm

kumba84 wrote:
crackberry wrote:Signing on to this thread. Had a purple envelope and a separate admission packet waiting for me in my mailbox when I got back to SF after being in Vegas/NYC the last couple weeks.

On another note, I quickly glanced through this thread and noticed the chatter about the admitted students' site not being active yet. It doesn't appear to be mentioned in the packet I got today either. Any word?

Finally, I applied for an Environmental Law Scholars award. Need I do anything more to be considered for merit aid?

For merit aid that's not part of the special scholarships listed on their app, I think you just wait for them to contact you about it. Maybe you could try to negotiate with them if you get another offer.

This is pretty much correct. If you applied for a special named scholarship or program, you will be contacted if you are a semi-finalist, finalist, etc. Most of the other stuff seems to magically appear when all the financial aid stuff poofs into existence.

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:23 pm

aguyingeorgia wrote:This is pretty much correct. If you applied for a special named scholarship or program, you will be contacted if you are a semi-finalist, finalist, etc. Most of the other stuff seems to magically appear when all the financial aid stuff poofs into existence.
\
Long time no see.

Moba

Postby Moba » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:22 pm

In! The letter was dated Dec 16 didn't receive it until the 27th (abroad).

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:26 pm

amidea wrote:What's the difference between the viewbook and a magazine?

The magazine is an annual periodical that the school puts out that contains articles about current happenings at the school. It would be useful/entertaining for current students and faculty. The viewbook is the book that schools send out to provide info to prospective students. It is the kind of stuff that is usually splashed all over the website in a more condensed form.

a.shoshana

Postby a.shoshana » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:40 pm

So I've narrowed it down to NYU and Columbia, and I obviously haven't heard from Columbia yet...

It's looking more and more like I'm going to be at NYU, because not only is Columbia totally MIA, but since I'm interested in Trusts & Estates, the NYU tax program is a HUGE plus.

ie... I'm so excited!! See you next fall in Greenwich Village!

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:30 pm

a.shoshana wrote:So I've narrowed it down to NYU and Columbia, and I obviously haven't heard from Columbia yet...

It's looking more and more like I'm going to be at NYU, because not only is Columbia totally MIA, but since I'm interested in Trusts & Estates, the NYU tax program is a HUGE plus.

ie... I'm so excited!! See you next fall in Greenwich Village!

Please. You know you're going to get into Columbia shoshana! They just don't let us RD people know until late January. :)

MHutson41

Postby MHutson41 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:56 pm

In via snail mail. Postmarked 12/18 but I had already left town. RD

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:27 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sun May 10, 2015 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

crazyforhys

Postby crazyforhys » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:48 am

When will NYU open its Admitted Students site?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:01 am

crazyforhys wrote:When will NYU open its Admitted Students site?

Word on the street is mid-January.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:59 am

crackberry wrote:
crazyforhys wrote:When will NYU open its Admitted Students site?

Word on the street is mid-January.

I emailed and asked a while back and they said mid-January.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:53 pm

did anyone get an e-mail from melanie giger about applying for the RTK today?

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:55 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:did anyone get an e-mail from melanie giger about applying for the RTK today?

nope

Laina

Postby Laina » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:30 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:did anyone get an e-mail from melanie giger about applying for the RTK today?

No, but I got an invite to apply for Bickel & Brewer today. Anyone else? And anyone know if getting an invite to apply would be a good sign, or are they just looking to beef up their applicant numbers?

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:24 pm

I got an e-mail saying that I didn't include an essay for the scholarship box that I checked. She asked me to send it as soon as possible becuase the deadline for submitting the essay had already passed. Does anyone have any concrete info on these scholarships (how many are given, when you are informed, etc.)

Thanks

Laina

Postby Laina » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:48 pm

TheWire wrote:Does anyone have any concrete info on these scholarships (how many are given, when you are informed, etc.)

It should specify in the individual scholarship page how many are given: http://www.law.nyu.edu/admissions/jdadm ... /index.htm

ChildPlease

Postby ChildPlease » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:42 pm

Anyone know when NYU sends out regular scholarship offers that we didn't have to apply for?

knola002

Postby knola002 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:26 pm

Joining thread. Happy day.

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:53 pm

knola002 wrote:Joining thread. Happy day.

Congrats!

Jornste

Postby Jornste » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:54 pm

Does anyone know anything about ASW?

ankit

Postby ankit » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:59 pm

ChildPlease wrote:Anyone know when NYU sends out regular scholarship offers that we didn't have to apply for?

Yep....once the admitted students website is up, we'll have to enter our financial details for consideration. They then start making offers around end Feb, and this process goes on till early April if I'm not wrong.

Hope this helps.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:07 pm

Jornste wrote:Does anyone know anything about ASW?

https://its.law.nyu.edu/eventcalendar/i ... onsorId=40

This is the only info I have right now; just the dates.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”