In at NYU!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
radgrad

Re: In at NYU!!

Postby radgrad » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:12 pm

pissantvache wrote:Does anyone have any idea on when the admitted students site is going to be working?

or the "more information" they said they'd send out? nothing better to do over the holidays than obsessively research financial aid options and calculate housing prices, right?

aguyingeorgia

Postby aguyingeorgia » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:58 pm

CONGRATS TO EVERYONE WHO MADE IT IN!!!!!!! Good luck to those waiting!
:)

Series70

Postby Series70 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:43 pm

I'm still waiting (I didn't submit my applications until earlier this month) but I thought I'd put in a plug for my neighborhood (for those of you wondering about housing in NYC).

I live in Bay Ridge (Brooklyn), and can't say enough good things about it. It's inexpensive, safe, and has a lot to offer. And if you live near the R subway line, it's maybe about a 45-minute commute to NYU (if you take advantage of the N-express train). So if you're concerned about finances (and want to be able to keep your cat!), you may want to give it some consideration. While it may not be as cool as the Village, it sure is nice to come home to someplace quiet at the end of the day.

Congratulations to those accepted, and good luck to those still waiting!

regatsrj

Postby regatsrj » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:49 am

Did anyone that applied for any of the various scholarships hear about them in their acceptance letter, or does that come later?

ankit

Postby ankit » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:41 am

Thrilled to be joining this thread finally!! Received my acceptance postmarked 12/1 on 12/25 (RD)! Guess that comes with living in a land far far away....

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:29 pm

radgrad wrote:
pissantvache wrote:Does anyone have any idea on when the admitted students site is going to be working?

or the "more information" they said they'd send out? nothing better to do over the holidays than obsessively research financial aid options and calculate housing prices, right?

I got a follow-up package today; maybe it's what they meant.

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:07 pm

managamy wrote:I got a follow-up package today; maybe it's what they meant.

+1

Not a bad magazine.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:09 pm

babaghanouj wrote:
managamy wrote:I got a follow-up package today; maybe it's what they meant.

+1

Not a bad magazine.

+1. It was a thoughtful gesture.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:20 pm

Signing on to this thread. Had a purple envelope and a separate admission packet waiting for me in my mailbox when I got back to SF after being in Vegas/NYC the last couple weeks.

On another note, I quickly glanced through this thread and noticed the chatter about the admitted students' site not being active yet. It doesn't appear to be mentioned in the packet I got today either. Any word?

Finally, I applied for an Environmental Law Scholars award. Need I do anything more to be considered for merit aid?
Last edited by crackberry on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kinch

Postby kinch » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:55 pm

For fellow EDers, are we supposed to fax them the intent to enroll form?

tintin

Postby tintin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:21 am

got the bigger follow-up packet yesterday. the three page letter was pretty impressive!

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:26 am

I e-mailed and asked about this very question. The 'exact' answer I got was Mid-January. So I would expect it to be up in the next few weeks. And yes, the magazine was very nice, but I am much more interested in the viewbook (those are just better).

kumba84

Postby kumba84 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:37 am

crackberry wrote:Signing on to this thread. Had a purple envelope and a separate admission packet waiting for me in my mailbox when I got back to SF after being in Vegas/NYC the last couple weeks.

On another note, I quickly glanced through this thread and noticed the chatter about the admitted students' site not being active yet. It doesn't appear to be mentioned in the packet I got today either. Any word?

Finally, I applied for an Environmental Law Scholars award. Need I do anything more to be considered for merit aid?

For merit aid that's not part of the special scholarships listed on their app, I think you just wait for them to contact you about it. Maybe you could try to negotiate with them if you get another offer.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:09 pm

kumba84 wrote:
crackberry wrote:Finally, I applied for an Environmental Law Scholars award. Need I do anything more to be considered for merit aid?

For merit aid that's not part of the special scholarships listed on their app, I think you just wait for them to contact you about it. Maybe you could try to negotiate with them if you get another offer.

From the Dean's Award page on the website:

"To be considered for a Dean’s Award scholarship, individuals must complete the NYU School of Law financial aid application. This application is available to all admitted students and may be accessed through the Admitted Students link. We encourage all admitted students to submit this application, including students who applied for a named scholarship program as part of their application for admission.

Institutional aid is awarded in amounts up to full tuition. Institutional aid may only be used at the School of Law.

Upon receipt of your completed financial aid application, the Committee on Admissions and Financial Aid will review the application together with your application for admission. You will be notified of any award(s) following the Committee's review.

The financial aid awarding process is done on an ongoing basis but is generally completed by early May."

http://www.law.nyu.edu/financialaid/sch ... /index.htm

So I guess even if you applied for a special scholarship, you can submit another form (though the wording of this makes me think it's need-based aid rather than merit-based aid; I guess it could take both into account) once the Admitted Students site becomes available.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:30 pm

^
aren't dean's awards strictly merit-based? why do they want us to fill out the financial aid forms for them?

edit: oops, i just saw your last sentence. does anybody know whether the dean's awards are need-based or merit-based or both?

ankit

Postby ankit » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:37 am

somewhatwayward wrote:^
aren't dean's awards strictly merit-based? why do they want us to fill out the financial aid forms for them?

edit: oops, i just saw your last sentence. does anybody know whether the dean's awards are need-based or merit-based or both?

I'm pretty sure its Merit Based, but they do consider your financial situation as well. I guess if you're borderline in terms of numbers (for getting merit aid), and filthy rich, then they might not send a lot of money your way.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:17 pm

Last edited by blue5385 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:33 pm

blue5385 wrote:

My acceptance letter is dated 12/21/09 and I just came back from vacation and got it. I still can't log into the admitted students' website though, and I'm starting to feel like the letter was a mistake since I sent my app fairly recently, 11/30, and didn't even get a complete email. Is there anyone else who was accepted but can't log into the website even though it's been 5+ days?

I don't think the admitted students website is working for anyone...

And multiple people have reported being accepted without getting a complete notification. I wouldn't worry about it.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:34 am

Last edited by blue5385 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:07 pm

crackberry wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

My acceptance letter is dated 12/21/09 and I just came back from vacation and got it. I still can't log into the admitted students' website though, and I'm starting to feel like the letter was a mistake since I sent my app fairly recently, 11/30, and didn't even get a complete email. Is there anyone else who was accepted but can't log into the website even though it's been 5+ days?

I don't think the admitted students website is working for anyone...

And multiple people have reported being accepted without getting a complete notification. I wouldn't worry about it.

It does not work for anyone.
Rand M. wrote:

I e-mailed and asked about this very question. The 'exact' answer I got was Mid-January. So I would expect it to be up in the next few weeks. And yes, the magazine was very nice, but I am much more interested in the viewbook (those are just better).

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:07 pm

blue5385 wrote:
crackberry wrote:I don't think the admitted students website is working for anyone...

phew...I was a little worried since I'm a splitter and from what other people are saying, it seems like I heard back from them almost too quickly. I still think they might have sent me an acceptance letter by mistake!

You should not be worried--you should be excited! Congrats!

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:58 pm

Last edited by blue5385 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:40 pm

Got my purple admissions packet + viewbook after coming home from vacation. Never got a status checker or application complete email or anything.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:46 pm

hoopsguy6 wrote:Got my purple admissions packet + viewbook after coming home from vacation. Never got a status checker or application complete email or anything.

Congrats

Wait, you got the viewbook? Or the magazine? If it is the former I am truly jealous.

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:47 pm

Rand M. wrote:
hoopsguy6 wrote:Got my purple admissions packet + viewbook after coming home from vacation. Never got a status checker or application complete email or anything.

Wait, you got the viewbook? Or the magazine? If it is the former I am truly jealous.

Just checked; it's the magazine. Just assumed it was a viewbook since every other school sent viewbooks.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”