In at NYU!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
coollegemex

Bronze

Re: In at NYU!!

Post by coollegemex » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:09 pm

I also regret not putting more effort into that scholarship essay... hopefully I get an interview so I can actually visit the school

aad

New

Post by aad » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 pm

kumba84 wrote:Hi everyone, I'll likely be deciding between Boalt and NYU, but I'm abroad and my employment contract doesn't end until one week after NYU's seat deposit is due. Should I ask the admissions office for a two-week extension so that I can visit before making a decision? There's no way I can afford to fly back to the U.S. before my contract ends, but I'm not sure how schools view this sort of request...
I agree with an earlier comment that said you should go for it. It seems logical. If they admitted you, they want you so they might make an exception. Your desire to visit also shows you are serious about them.

kumba84

Bronze

Post by kumba84 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:30 pm

TheWire wrote:Does anyone know if it is taboo to bring a SO with you. My gf really wants to make the east coast trip with me, but I'm not sure if this is suppose to be an admits-only event. Has anyone else heard any info that would be helpful?
Lots of people bring family, SOs and even friends to admitted students days. I think it should be fine.

jasonportwood

New

Post by jasonportwood » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:28 pm

Got the viewbook and faculty handbook yesterday. And by yesterday I mean the postman delivered it yesterday, but the bulk consequently stuffed my tiny mailbox so full that it prevented the lock from turning, and I had to have my building super pry it open this morning.

At any rate, nice materials, so it was worth it. I was hoping for a somewhat personalized letter to go with it, but alas.

Excuse me while I go e-mail Ronald Dworkin now, he's on the list of faculty included in the "Feel Free to Contact NYU Faculty" pamphlet. Or not...

Now I just have to decide to go for the early March or late March ASW...hmm...

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:17 pm

TheWire wrote:Does anyone know if it is taboo to bring a SO with you. My gf really wants to make the east coast trip with me, but I'm not sure if this is suppose to be an admits-only event. Has anyone else heard any info that would be helpful?
Last year I went with my bf to his ASD.. it was normal, I didn't feel out of place or anything. A lot of people were there with their SO's so I wouldn't worry.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:19 pm

Dinged at NYU via snail mail. Not a big deal, was a long shot anyways. Congrats to all who got accepted!

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:21 pm

nyskidude wrote:Dinged at NYU via snail mail. Not a big deal, was a long shot anyways. Congrats to all who got accepted!
can i ask when you received that letter?

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:23 pm

I received the letter today, postmarked last Friday. I got the letter in Vermont, too, so it's pretty clost to NYU. Probably one of the first in a big batch (or so I'm telling myself haha)

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:24 pm

nyskidude wrote:I received the letter today, postmarked last Friday.
thanks. sorry about NYU. at least you dont have to hang with the E village hipsters?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:32 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
thanks. sorry about NYU. at least you dont have to hang with the E village hipsters?
i think you mean west aka greenwich village?

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:40 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
i think you mean west aka greenwich village?
no, the hipsters migrate over from the lower east side and e village to go to nyu. or at least, that's always been my impression.

kinch

Bronze

Post by kinch » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:45 pm

I sent my deposit in about a week ago, and I got a sweet viewbook today in the mail.

roxj

Bronze

Post by roxj » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:00 pm

Just got the viewbook too. And I RSVP'd to the March 25th ASW. I'm not sure I can actually afford to fly out, but I'm thinking positive thoughts, I really want to see the school again (I visited a year ago) and I think NYU's my number one choice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:00 pm

roxj wrote:Just got the viewbook too. And I RSVP'd to the March 25th ASW. I'm not sure I can actually afford to fly out, but I'm thinking positive thoughts, I really want to see the school again (I visited a year ago) and I think NYU's my number one choice.
+1.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Got the viewbook as well (without putting down a deposit). I'm pretty bummed NYU doesn't cover the cost of airfare to go to ASW. Probably means I won't be there unless I get into the Environmental Law Scholar program, in which case I guess they'd have flown me there for the interview anyway.

When do we hear about that stuff anyway? February? March?

groundkontrol

Bronze

Post by groundkontrol » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:15 pm

Can someone tell me how decisions are given for acceptances, denials, and holds? Snail mail, status checker, or email? Thanks.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:18 pm

groundkontrol wrote:Can someone tell me how decisions are given for acceptances, denials, and holds? Snail mail, status checker, or email? Thanks.
Snail mail. All of em.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:36 pm

crackberry wrote:Got the viewbook as well (without putting down a deposit). I'm pretty bummed NYU doesn't cover the cost of airfare to go to ASW. Probably means I won't be there unless I get into the Environmental Law Scholar program, in which case I guess they'd have flown me there for the interview anyway.

Feb end based on previous cycles.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:37 pm

ankit wrote:
crackberry wrote:Got the viewbook as well (without putting down a deposit). I'm pretty bummed NYU doesn't cover the cost of airfare to go to ASW. Probably means I won't be there unless I get into the Environmental Law Scholar program, in which case I guess they'd have flown me there for the interview anyway.

I like the transliteration in this post.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:45 pm

ankit wrote:

does that mean financial aid forms should be turned in ASAP? by feb 1st? or what?

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:06 pm

englawyer wrote:
ankit wrote:

does that mean financial aid forms should be turned in ASAP? by feb 1st? or what?
and does that also mean that if they dont let you in by feb you can say sayonara to any hope of monies? not that i'd get any anyway, but...le sigh.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:08 pm

crackberry wrote:
ankit wrote:

Ha ha....yeah I was going for "succinct" :)

Anyway regarding the other question raised....the financial aid forms are only required for non-named scholarships (Dean's scholly, etc), which are given out between March and May. So the due date for submission of those is 31st March, if I'm not wrong.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:24 pm

ankit wrote:
crackberry wrote:
ankit wrote:

Ha ha....yeah I was going for "succinct" :)

Anyway regarding the other question raised....the financial aid forms are only required for non-named scholarships (Dean's scholly, etc), which are given out between March and May. So the due date for submission of those is 31st March, if I'm not wrong.
oh i thought i read the academic scholarship programs also required the financial aid form..maybe i misread

jasonportwood

New

Post by jasonportwood » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:51 am

englawyer wrote:oh i thought i read the academic scholarship programs also required the financial aid form..maybe i misread
this is my understanding as well... if you expect any sort of aid from nyu, they ask you to fill out the form.

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:25 am

jasonportwood wrote:
englawyer wrote:oh i thought i read the academic scholarship programs also required the financial aid form..maybe i misread
this is my understanding as well... if you expect any sort of aid from nyu, they ask you to fill out the form.
This is what their presentation on financial aid states (found on the FAAPS website) -

Institutional aid (Scholarships)
- Academic Scholars Awards (Furman, Housing and Urban Policy, Criminal Law, etc.)
- Named Program Awards (AnBryce, Root Tilden Kern, Teach for America, etc.)
- Dean’s Awards (Combination Need and Merit)

That's why I got the impression that they require the form only for the dean's awards, as those are the ones awarded based on need + merit. Anyway I could easily be wrong about this, so I'm filling them out early just to be on the safe side.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”