In at NYU!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BenJ

Silver

Re: In at NYU!!

Post by BenJ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:43 pm

hesitantstyle wrote:
BenJ wrote:Maybe it had to do with how much I nagged them. Did the people who got denied for an extension visit NYU?
Twice!
Don't know, then. It can't have to do with how much they wanted people because everyone who requested an extension already had enough NYU love to get a scholarship in the first place. The other possibility is how early the request was submitted--maybe they only gave extensions to people who asked early on.

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:57 pm

BenJ wrote:
hesitantstyle wrote:
BenJ wrote:Maybe it had to do with how much I nagged them. Did the people who got denied for an extension visit NYU?
Twice!
Don't know, then. It can't have to do with how much they wanted people because everyone who requested an extension already had enough NYU love to get a scholarship in the first place. The other possibility is how early the request was submitted--maybe they only gave extensions to people who asked early on.
I dunno. I think I asked the day of, and I had visited. Maybe they troll TLS and saw how much love I had for Michigan :-P I also suspect they may have looked at my other offers (Darrow, HLS) and figured even if they gave me the extension I probably wouldn't pick NYU (probably true but not necessarily).

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:14 am

BenJ wrote:
hesitantstyle wrote:
Twice!
I asked erm... recently = /

I'm really curious to see how my hand plays out.

Play a soft stance (err please extend my deadline PLEEEEEASE) = This guy wants the money and other options, but will enroll on 4/2 if it comes down to it = EXTENSION REJECTED

Play a hard stance (If you don't extend my deadline I'm withdrawing) = This guy doesn't really want NYU that much and probably won't end up enrolling anyway = EXTENSION REJECTED

lsathalon

Bronze

Post by lsathalon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:42 am

I just asked on Monday and got the extension. I played an extremely soft stance; I pretty much told them it would be nice if I could receive my financial offers from other schools but that I completely understand if they cannot extend the deadline.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:07 am

I definitely played nice. "NYU, you're awesome, I love you, you're my top choice, but I just want to hear Columbia's financial aid offer. Thanks." (Well, I didn't mention Columbia specifically in the initial email, but they eventually asked me where I was waiting on.)
Last edited by BenJ on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

summerschooled

Bronze

Post by summerschooled » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:18 am

Ugh, I thought I was being nice, too! I guess they just don't love me. :cry:

hesitantstyle

New

Post by hesitantstyle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:42 am

I don't have the stones to call NYU's bluff, so I guess that means I'm enrolling. See some of you at ASW!

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:11 pm

From what I'm reading there's still no discernable pattern in people who they accept/reject for the deadline extension.

Are they just flipping coins for every extension email they get?
BenJ wrote:I definitely played nice. "NYU, you're awesome, I love you, you're my top choice, but I just want to hear Columbia's financial aid offer. Thanks." (Well, I didn't mention Columbia specifically in the initial email, but they eventually asked me where I was waiting on.)
They actually followed up with more questions before they gave you an extension? I wonder how other school acceptances plays into their decision (don't they have our acceptance info on file anyway?).

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:17 pm

Sogui wrote:From what I'm reading there's still no discernable pattern in people who they accept/reject for the deadline extension.

Are they just flipping coins for every extension email they get?
BenJ wrote:I definitely played nice. "NYU, you're awesome, I love you, you're my top choice, but I just want to hear Columbia's financial aid offer. Thanks." (Well, I didn't mention Columbia specifically in the initial email, but they eventually asked me where I was waiting on.)
They actually followed up with more questions before they gave you an extension? I wonder how other school acceptances plays into their decision (don't they have our acceptance info on file anyway?).
Yes; they e-mailed me about a week after I first sent in the request asking, the first time, whether I was waiting on admissions decisions or FinAid decisions (both) and then, the second time, at which schools I was waiting on those decisions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lsathalon

Bronze

Post by lsathalon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:37 pm

My theory is that they (generally) grant extensions to people who are waiting on financial decisions from other schools and people who are attending NYU's last Accepted Student Days program but do not (generally) grant extensions to people who just want more time to decide/want to visit another school.

j nyc

New

Post by j nyc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:53 pm

-
Last edited by j nyc on Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:01 pm

j nyc wrote:
lsathalon wrote:My theory is that they (generally) grant extensions to people who are waiting on financial decisions from other schools and people who are attending NYU's last Accepted Student Days program but do not (generally) grant extensions to people who just want more time to decide/want to visit another school.
oh great i mentioned how i wanted more time to select/visit a school... instead of flat out saying, 'i am having issues choosing nyu without knowing my finaid package at columbia'

i sent in a request for an extension last week -- no response yet... :?
You could send a "clarification". Try calling them.

hesitantstyle

New

Post by hesitantstyle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:08 pm

BenJ wrote:
j nyc wrote:
lsathalon wrote:My theory is that they (generally) grant extensions to people who are waiting on financial decisions from other schools and people who are attending NYU's last Accepted Student Days program but do not (generally) grant extensions to people who just want more time to decide/want to visit another school.
oh great i mentioned how i wanted more time to select/visit a school... instead of flat out saying, 'i am having issues choosing nyu without knowing my finaid package at columbia'

i sent in a request for an extension last week -- no response yet... :?
You could send a "clarification". Try calling them.

I requested an extension and was denied, but I tried them again and after committing to their ASW on 4/8 and 4/9 they agreed to give me until 4/12 to make up my mind. So, my advice to those of you who were frustrated by a denial is to try again and really show them you are committed to NYU.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wackjickham

Bronze

Post by wackjickham » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:18 pm

Is anyone else really turned off by the way this whole thing is being handled? Granted it's not a huge deal and likely 3 years down the road I'll barely remember any of this deadline stuff happened, but the way they're setting deadlines, arbitrarily granting extentions, and basically ignoring reasonable requests from genuinely interested students sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not a great first impression for prospective students.

Am I the only one?

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:25 pm

wackjickham wrote:Is anyone else really turned off by the way this whole thing is being handled? Granted it's not a huge deal and likely 3 years down the road I'll barely remember any of this deadline stuff happened, but the way they're setting deadlines, arbitrarily granting extentions, and basically ignoring reasonable requests from genuinely interested students sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not a great first impression for prospective students.

Am I the only one?
I agree, which is why (if I don't get the extension) I will flat out withdraw even though their scholarship offer is very compelling.

I'd rather take the straightforward "mystery box" financial aid from Columbia than cut off Columbia and "have never known" and enroll at NYU just because they pulled these shenanigans.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:26 pm

wackjickham wrote:Is anyone else really turned off by the way this whole thing is being handled? Granted it's not a huge deal and likely 3 years down the road I'll barely remember any of this deadline stuff happened, but the way they're setting deadlines, arbitrarily granting extentions, and basically ignoring reasonable requests from genuinely interested students sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not a great first impression for prospective students.

Am I the only one?
That's a splendid argument! Everybody should withdraw to teach them a lesson!

and to free up a spot for me

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:26 pm

Am I the only one?
I think people should start looking at this for what it really is: a strategic move that NYU is playing. They know you have offers from other schools (or else you wouldn't have gotten into NYU). They're putting a carrot in front of your face as a small reward and hoping that it's enough to get you to dismiss other opportunities that you may have if you wait around.

Summary: NYU is trying to manipulate you to make a decision without waiting for all your offers (which might trump theirs). It's actually brilliant; they offer you an award but leave you vulnerable to losing out on others. Not arbitrary, not foolish, and definitely without care for what "impressions" may arise from it. AND...I'm pretty sure it has already before and will continue to work for them...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wackjickham

Bronze

Post by wackjickham » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:30 pm

TheWire wrote:

Am I the only one?
I think people should start looking at this for what it really is: a strategic move that NYU is playing. They know you have offers from other schools (or else you wouldn't have gotten into NYU). They're putting a carrot in front of your face as a small reward and hoping that it's enough to get you to dismiss other opportunities that you may have if you wait around.

Summary: NYU is trying to manipulate you to make a decision without waiting for all your offers (which might trump theirs). It's actually brilliant; they offer you an award but leave you vulnerable to losing out on others. Not arbitrary, not foolish, and definitely without care for what "impressions" may arise from it. AND...I'm pretty sure it has already before and will continue to work for them...
I definitely see that working for them and it is a brilliant move. For them. I'm not sure the rest of us applicants enjoy being a pawn in their game. I know I don't.

Sorry for ranting, I love NYU I'm just a little frustrated and stressed knowing I have to decide my future by Friday.

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:36 pm

TBF, I completely empathize with you. It's just actually refreshing to see an admissions committee that gives out $ with a clear purpose. Other schools I feel like just throw out their money with the intent of letting you think it through knowing that their offer will stand on the table. I feel that NYU has more respect for themselves than that. They realize that they may be the best school to offer someone money and so have some leverage to make those individuals decide quickly on whether they want to accept. It really is a two-sided affair instead of simply putting the power into the prospective student's hands.

On the real though, I'm not looking forward to the deadline they specify for me when I actually receive my financial award...

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:51 am

TheWire wrote:TBF, I completely empathize with you. It's just actually refreshing to see an admissions committee that gives out $ with a clear purpose. Other schools I feel like just throw out their money with the intent of letting you think it through knowing that their offer will stand on the table. I feel that NYU has more respect for themselves than that. They realize that they may be the best school to offer someone money and so have some leverage to make those individuals decide quickly on whether they want to accept. It really is a two-sided affair instead of simply putting the power into the prospective student's hands.

On the real though, I'm not looking forward to the deadline they specify for me when I actually receive my financial award...
Refreshing is not the word I would use.

For that matter, what kind of school gives out scholarship/grant money WITHOUT a clear purpose? This isn't like yield protect or something where they have ulterior motives, money is supposed to entice you to pick their school and enroll. NYU is doing the same thing as every other school out there, just with an added deadline that will benefit them at the student's expense.

I'm much more likely to be sympathetic to someone who is being strong-armed into attending NYU for money's sake without knowing offers others schools are preparing... perhaps missing out on comparable offers from better schools or better offers from comparable schools, than I am to be sympathetic to the #5 law school in the nation trying to me a push for #4.

muahawhawhaw

New

Post by muahawhawhaw » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:30 pm

Just got an extension after an initial rejection.

Called the finaid office, explained that I really, really wanted more time, and was told to re-submit. I was asked to send another e-mail, which i did. I made sure to be even more explicit in the options and factors surrounding my decision, and I got a response within an hour granting me till the 7th (like seemingly everybody else... right before the UChicago visit).

Some persistence may win you some more time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:50 pm

BenJ has been a huge help and he showed me where I made my mistake, so I'll summarize my problem.

I accepted the Dean's Scholarship by accident when I first received it on March 9th. Accepting the Scholarship locks you in to NYU Law, and basically forces me to withdraw my acceptances and enroll tomorrow.

My heart was racing at 120bpm and my hands were trembling while I was going through the award forms, I read the fine print but did not take the time to consider the implications. I made the faulty assumption that I HAD to accept the award before I could view it (no idea why), but it is all a blur to me now.

So now I'm wondering what are my odds of being able to basically break out of my "contract" with NYU and not be forced to withdraw from my other schools tomorrow, I've already contacted the appropriate people at NYU and am waiting for a response there. Dean's Scholly isn't the worst thing in the world Xero but I really would like to get more financial aid info before I make a decision. Already I have a T20 option that would cost me less than 1/3rd of NYU law as well as a wild-card aid package from CLS.
Last edited by Sogui on Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:57 pm

Ouch.

When you get to the award page, there's a little box to check to say that you accept the award and will be submitting your deposit. (There's also a box to decline the award.) Don't check the box until you're depositing, everyone. The check box was not necessary to view the award. (I just went back and confirmed this; it's all there and even has my deadline date changed from 4/2 to 4/7.)

There is a PDF linked to above the buttons. That contains a description of your award.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:05 pm

Sogui wrote:Edited
Whoa, that really sucks.

Dean's Scholly at NYU isn't the worst thing in the world, though.
Last edited by Z3RO on Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ferris1127

New

Post by ferris1127 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:08 pm

Yikes scary. What is the turnaround time for offer to the dates they make you accept by? Sorry if someone already asked and I missed it. I should be getting my finaid "package" in the next few weeks. Also, if I've already emailed them with an offer from another school, should I send them /another offer from another school which is ranked higher, or am I just pestering? More info the better, or strategic contacting?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”