In at NYU!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
b0dylanguage

New

Re: In at NYU!!

Post by b0dylanguage » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:46 pm

lsathalon wrote:
b0dylanguage wrote:For those that have been invited to apply for a merit-based scholarship: was there a specific application for this? Or is filling out the generic financial aid application sufficient? Honestly, I found the letter inviting me to apply a bit ambiguous.
It's just the generic application!
awesome, thank you!

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:39 pm

hey everyone! so I am currently filling out the NYU financial aid form, and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a certain aspect of the form. on the "parent info" tab, #29 at the bottom asks you to "please complete for all family members (excluding applicant and parents) who receive more than half their support from parents listed in question 28. Please list other family members oldest to youngest."

I have an older brother and sister, but they're not given half support by my parents, so I'm not going to put them. however, for #30 directly after this question, they ask for "total number in family" (including student applicant, spouse, and children). I'm slightly confused because I can't alter this number - it seems like I should put 5 because my family is my parents, myself, and my two siblings, but the number is stuck at 3. it seems to be contigent on adding family members on #29, but the two questions really seem quite independent of each other.

I'm probably just missing something obvious, so if someone could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it!

Laina

Bronze

Post by Laina » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:04 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:hey everyone! so I am currently filling out the NYU financial aid form, and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a certain aspect of the form. on the "parent info" tab, #29 at the bottom asks you to "please complete for all family members (excluding applicant and parents) who receive more than half their support from parents listed in question 28. Please list other family members oldest to youngest."

I have an older brother and sister, but they're not given half support by my parents, so I'm not going to put them. however, for #30 directly after this question, they ask for "total number in family" (including student applicant, spouse, and children). I'm slightly confused because I can't alter this number - it seems like I should put 5 because my family is my parents, myself, and my two siblings, but the number is stuck at 3. it seems to be contigent on adding family members on #29, but the two questions really seem quite independent of each other.

I'm probably just missing something obvious, so if someone could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it!
Yeah, for the purposes of financial aid, the total number of family members just means the number (including the applicant, whether still receiving finances from parents or not) still dependent on the parents. I have older siblings as well, but for the purposes of financial aid, my number of family members is just three. hth.

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:18 pm

I got the e-mail about applying for need or merit aid, but did not get the dean's scholarship e-mail. If I apply for merit aid through the application, is there any chance I will get any, or does not getting a dean's scholarship e-mail pretty much mean I am paying sticker unless I get a named scholarship?

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:23 pm

Laina wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:hey everyone! so I am currently filling out the NYU financial aid form, and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a certain aspect of the form. on the "parent info" tab, #29 at the bottom asks you to "please complete for all family members (excluding applicant and parents) who receive more than half their support from parents listed in question 28. Please list other family members oldest to youngest."

Yeah, for the purposes of financial aid, the total number of family members just means the number (including the applicant, whether still receiving finances from parents or not) still dependent on the parents. I have older siblings as well, but for the purposes of financial aid, my number of family members is just three. hth.
alright cool. I think it's silly the field is called "total number in family" then - very misleading :P thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:35 pm

I GOT IT....the interview for AnBryce. I am so freaking excited.

coollegemex

Bronze

Post by coollegemex » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:42 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:I GOT IT....the interview for AnBryce. I am so freaking excited.
Me too!!!!!!!

Laina

Bronze

Post by Laina » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:51 pm

coollegemex wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:I GOT IT....the interview for AnBryce. I am so freaking excited.
Me too!!!!!!!
Huge congrats to both of you!!!

c0rpusdelicti

New

Post by c0rpusdelicti » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:52 pm

coollegemex wrote:
Me too!!!!!!!
+1

!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:55 pm

Laina wrote:
coollegemex wrote:
Me too!!!!!!!
Huge congrats to both of you!!!
Thanks!!!!!

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:22 pm

So tomorrow night is the reception for LA students. I really wanted to bring my mother and my SO; not that I need either of my parents there, but more so to show appreciation for the support they've given me. Does anyone thing it wood be odd to have my mother come with me?

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:30 pm

e-mail or snail mail

Congrats of course

wackadoodle

New

Post by wackadoodle » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:30 pm

How did they contact you?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kumba84

Bronze

Post by kumba84 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:37 pm

TheWire wrote:So tomorrow night is the reception for LA students. I really wanted to bring my mother and my SO; not that I need either of my parents there, but more so to show appreciation for the support they've given me. Does anyone thing it wood be odd to have my mother come with me?
Pretty sure it's ok to bring family or even friends.

misslawyer2013

New

Post by misslawyer2013 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:43 pm

c0rpusdelicti wrote:
coollegemex wrote:
Me too!!!!!!!
+1

!!!
+20000000004394309545697537894384783 :shock:

Mine is in California. Anyone else?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:47 pm

Any news on the Law Scholars programs?

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:49 pm

crackberry wrote:Any news on the Law Scholars programs?
Or the RTK?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:50 pm

scribelaw wrote:
Or the RTK?
RTK invites have gone out, I know that.

runnerman

New

Post by runnerman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:53 pm

crackberry wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
Or the RTK?
RTK invites have gone out, I know that.

All of them? I haven't even been accepted yet but was really hoping that I would at least be considered for a scholarship (and did get my application in just in time)...

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:58 pm

FYI for anyone who needs travel stipends, I applied for one (you just email them and fill out the financial aid form) just for the hell of it and they're actually giving me one. While I don't have a lot of money, my parents make a lot so I didn't think I'd get one.. anyways for anyone in this situation it's definitely worth trying! They give up to $300.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:59 pm

runnerman wrote:All of them? I haven't even been accepted yet but was really hoping that I would at least be considered for a scholarship (and did get my application in just in time)...
I don't think all of them have gone out, but some definitely have.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:59 pm

lz06 wrote:FYI for anyone who needs travel stipends, I applied for one (you just email them and fill out the financial aid form) just for the hell of it and they're actually giving me one. While I don't have a lot of money, my parents make a lot so I didn't think I'd get one.. anyways for anyone in this situation it's definitely worth trying! They give up to $300.
Where do we do this?

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:01 pm

crackberry wrote:
lz06 wrote:FYI for anyone who needs travel stipends, I applied for one (you just email them and fill out the financial aid form) just for the hell of it and they're actually giving me one. While I don't have a lot of money, my parents make a lot so I didn't think I'd get one.. anyways for anyone in this situation it's definitely worth trying! They give up to $300.
Where do we do this?
I emailed them and they told me to fill out the financial aid form (the one thats used for need based aid) and then to email them back saying what ASW I was going to and whether or not I was getting a travel subsidy from any other school for that weekend (which I'm not). They got back to me the next day.

monkeygirl

New

Post by monkeygirl » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:03 pm

misslawyer2013 wrote:
c0rpusdelicti wrote:
coollegemex wrote:
Me too!!!!!!!
+1

!!!
+20000000004394309545697537894384783 :shock:

Mine is in California. Anyone else?

Me too!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: !!! Mine is in Washington, DC.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:04 pm

crackberry wrote:
runnerman wrote:All of them? I haven't even been accepted yet but was really hoping that I would at least be considered for a scholarship (and did get my application in just in time)...
I don't think all of them have gone out, but some definitely have.
Where did you hear this?

I haven't seen anyone on TLS talking about getting this invite yet..

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”