In at NYU!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
roxj

Bronze

Re: In at NYU!!

Post by roxj » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:38 am

I'm still trying to figure out hwere I'm staying too. Roxj, you do know that that is a several hour bus ride, right? I know I have no concept of how far apart things are on the west coast (being an east coaster), so I just wanted to make sure. The website has the schedule for how early things start. Can't remember off the top of my head how far it is. But it's also my understanding that people go out and get to know each other and things like that, so I don't know if you want to pigeonhole yourself like that either, having to take a bus back at the end of the day.[/quote]

I think it's 2.5 hours each way. I guess I'd have to be pretty desperate to go roundtrip several days in a row. The hostel is sounding like a smart alternative. I stayed in hostels all over Europe. They aren't glamorous but for what you're paying, I can't complain.[/quote]

It's more like four hours.[/quote]

Then definitely screw that. Hostel it is.

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:40 am

a.shoshana wrote:
TheWire wrote:
a.shoshana wrote:Just rsvp'ed for the March 25-26 ASD!! Anyone else coming?
I believe that will be the weekend that I'm attending...I'm not sure if I'm entering the right profession for this, but drinks anyone? TITCR: @ ASW ---> "Drinks...Duh"
Screw "right profession"... I'm taking you up on this.
+ "Hell yes!"

PS. Has anyone else heard pizza and keg rumors?

mwazaumoja

New

Post by mwazaumoja » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:31 am

TheWire wrote:
a.shoshana wrote:
TheWire wrote:
a.shoshana wrote:Just rsvp'ed for the March 25-26 ASD!! Anyone else coming?
I believe that will be the weekend that I'm attending...I'm not sure if I'm entering the right profession for this, but drinks anyone? TITCR: @ ASW ---> "Drinks...Duh"
Screw "right profession"... I'm taking you up on this.
+ "Hell yes!"

PS. Has anyone else heard pizza and keg rumors?
Rumor is true. Much better than the fancy catered wine and h'or d'oeuvres thing at Columbia.

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:21 am

mwazaumoja wrote:
TheWire wrote:PS. Has anyone else heard pizza and keg rumors?
Rumor is true. Much better than the fancy catered wine and h'or d'oeuvres thing at Columbia.
But not as good as Stanford's all you can eat beluga caviar and day at Carlos Santana's winery.

monkeygirl

New

Post by monkeygirl » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:43 am

Is anyone going to the ASW on March 4th/5th?

PM me if you want to meet up. I'm going with one of my classmates who was also accepted, and it would be great to meet some of you in person. (If any of you really exist, that is.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jasonportwood

New

Post by jasonportwood » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:40 pm

Yep Feb 1st, and they start reviewing applications in early March. That's what they told me in a recent e-mail.
I got this e-mail also - telling me they noticed I had accessed the financial aid application and it was not intended to be available until Feb. 1. They have revoked access but thankfully saved all of my information.

I assume this was sent out to others, but the tone of it made me feel like I had done something illicit that I should be ashamed of...

I was just trying to be on the ball, NYU, really! I didn't mean any harm!

monkeygirl

New

Post by monkeygirl » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:55 pm

jasonportwood wrote:
Yep Feb 1st, and they start reviewing applications in early March. That's what they told me in a recent e-mail.
I got this e-mail also - telling me they noticed I had accessed the financial aid application and it was not intended to be available until Feb. 1. They have revoked access but thankfully saved all of my information.

I assume this was sent out to others, but the tone of it made me feel like I had done something illicit that I should be ashamed of...

I got this, too. I am not losing any sleep over it. I mean, it's not like we hacked our way in, or something underhanded like that. We're just trying to satisfy their requirements in a timely way. I think they know it was just an error on their side. If we had done something wrong, we would know it.

Still-I need to know about $$$ as fast as possible. It's starting to bother me.

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:00 pm

monkeygirl wrote:
jasonportwood wrote:

I got this, too. I am not losing any sleep over it. I mean, it's not like we hacked our way in, or something underhanded like that. We're just trying to satisfy their requirements in a timely way. I think they know it was just an error on their side. If we had done something wrong, we would know it.

I think I may have had something to do with that e-mail!:) I encountered some trouble with the form and sent them a query, and they suddenly realized that it was online when it wasn't supposed to be. After that I got a personal reply as well as the mass e-mail that you guys also received.

I'm also a little frustrated that most schools start their financial aid process so late. Deposits are due by April end and I'd really like to know my options well before that date, in order to make a decision.

mwazaumoja

New

Post by mwazaumoja » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:17 am

ankit wrote:
monkeygirl wrote:
jasonportwood wrote:

I think I may have had something to do with that e-mail!:) I encountered some trouble with the form and sent them a query, and they suddenly realized that it was online when it wasn't supposed to be. After that I got a personal reply as well as the mass e-mail that you guys also received.

I'm also a little frustrated that most schools start their financial aid process so late. Deposits are due by April end and I'd really like to know my options well before that date, in order to make a decision.
The schools tend to send out the scholarships right before the deadlines, and further a lot of them send them out after the deadlines. I had Columbia send me a revised offer after I sent in my deposit to NYU, and I know a lot of people who changed their mind even after putting down a deposit.

It seems to be a weird tradition in legal admissions to leave you as much in the dark as possible until the last operable minute.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kumba84

Bronze

Post by kumba84 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:11 pm

I posted a few pages ago about getting an extension on the seat deposit deadline. They said no; it doesn't seem that they grant requests for any reason, especially since mine was a good one (out of the country until May 10). If anyone does have any success, though, could you pm me and maybe I'll try to push them a little harder?

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:15 pm

I know this might not be the thread for it, but is NYU extremely bad for figuring out how your application is going? I sent mine in about 3 weeks ago and I haven't even got an email from them acknowledging that I applied...

wackjickham

Bronze

Post by wackjickham » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:33 pm

adameus wrote:I know this might not be the thread for it, but is NYU extremely bad for figuring out how your application is going? I sent mine in about 3 weeks ago and I haven't even got an email from them acknowledging that I applied...
Very bad. Some people got complete emails in weeks, some in months. And then you don't hear again until the decision. It's kind of nice actually, because it's not quite as neurotic as the status checker process.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:42 pm

wackjickham wrote:
adameus wrote:I know this might not be the thread for it, but is NYU extremely bad for figuring out how your application is going? I sent mine in about 3 weeks ago and I haven't even got an email from them acknowledging that I applied...
Very bad. Some people got complete emails in weeks, some in months. And then you don't hear again until the decision. It's kind of nice actually, because it's not quite as neurotic as the status checker process.
i didn't hear ANYTHING until purple envelope. don't be concerned

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:26 pm

monkeygirl wrote:
jasonportwood wrote:

I got it too. It did kind of feel like a scolding.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:05 pm

ok, i think i understand the applying for merit scholarship process, but i'm really hoping my interpretation is wrong....

i know i need to fill out the financial aid form, but does that mean that i will have to get all that info from both parents (W-2s, value of real estate, stocks, whatever else they listed that i can't remember)? i ask bc the financial aid form i filled out for vandy's merit scholarships didn't involve that, and it is going to be pretty much impossible for me to get one of my parents to give me all that stuff (don't ask....)

....so if i can't get all that stuff and i can't get an exception (which i don't think i could get, based on what i read on the ASW), will i not be in the pool for a purely merit-based scholarship (i will not qualify for FA although that doesn't mean my parents are willing to pay for LS)?

edit: do you think i could go discuss this with a financial aid person at NYU law in person?

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:36 pm

I'm so excited to join this forum!

Just got in today -- well, I can now access the admitted students site.

louboutin

Bronze

Post by louboutin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:55 pm

tag

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:09 am

I just got my received e-mail a few days ago...anyone remember how long after they got a status checker link...is there a status checker?

facetious

Bronze

Post by facetious » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:16 am

def2104 wrote:I just got my received e-mail a few days ago...anyone remember how long after they got a status checker link...is there a status checker?
nope, no status checker.

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:26 am

facetious wrote:
def2104 wrote:I just got my received e-mail a few days ago...anyone remember how long after they got a status checker link...is there a status checker?
nope, no status checker.
Awesome thanks for letting me know. So basically you just wait and one day it comes...I can't decide if that's better or worse.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:51 am

def2104 wrote:
facetious wrote:
nope, no status checker.
Awesome thanks for letting me know. So basically you just wait and one day it comes...I can't decide if that's better or worse.
Yeah and FWIW my "received" email didn't come for seven full weeks after I applied (applied 9/7, "received" email 10/27). I didn't get a "complete" email until 11/17 and then never heard from them again until my decision on 12/14.

I think NYU was the least accessible admissions office I've dealt with this cycle.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

amidea

Bronze

Post by amidea » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:03 pm

So I'd like to direct this question to people who are not very strongly biased... but is someone here well-informed enough to highlight the most important differences between NYU and Columbia?

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Post by Dtackpat75 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:12 pm

amidea wrote:So I'd like to direct this question to people who are not very strongly biased... but is someone here well-informed enough to highlight the most important differences between NYU and Columbia?
I would say nicer location for NYU although Columbia's campus is beautiful. Smaller class size at Columbia, more lay prestige (not that it should matter), maybe slightly better prospects for biglaw mainly at top firms (but this seems pretty small). I think I like Columbia a little bit better but it will be easier to say after ASWs for both.

One other thing...NYU has been adding some pretty awesome faculty members of late.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:16 pm

Dtackpat75 wrote:
amidea wrote:So I'd like to direct this question to people who are not very strongly biased... but is someone here well-informed enough to highlight the most important differences between NYU and Columbia?
I would say nicer location for NYU although Columbia's campus is beautiful. Smaller class size at Columbia, more lay prestige (not that it should matter), maybe slightly better prospects for biglaw mainly at top firms (but this seems pretty small). I think I like Columbia a little bit better but it will be easier to say after ASWs for both.

One other thing...NYU has been adding some pretty awesome faculty members of late.
I agree with this, but one more thing is if you're interested in PI, NYU is more bent toward that. Both Columbia and NYU have awesome LRAP programs, though.

CanadianEH

New

Post by CanadianEH » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:20 pm

Is it fair to say that aid is more easily come by at Columbia than NYU?

Also, is COL more or less in Morningside Heights than it is in the village?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”