In at NYU!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ravens20

Bronze

Re: In at NYU!!

Post by ravens20 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:51 pm

sikwitt wrote:
ravens20 wrote:
j nyc wrote:nyu gave me a generous extension... and then today columbia sent my financial package via email. a solid award, but looks as though i will be attending nyu next year!

good luck to everyone else -- hope the deadlines and $$$ offers work out.
Awesome man. Hope to see you next year.

Ravens you're in for sure? I sent my seat deposit last week.
Yep...good times at admitted students weekend btw (I still owe you for the taxi).

sikwitt

New

Post by sikwitt » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:52 pm

ravens20 wrote:
sikwitt wrote:
ravens20 wrote:
j nyc wrote:nyu gave me a generous extension... and then today columbia sent my financial package via email. a solid award, but looks as though i will be attending nyu next year!

good luck to everyone else -- hope the deadlines and $$$ offers work out.
Awesome man. Hope to see you next year.

Ravens you're in for sure? I sent my seat deposit last week.
Yep...good times at admitted students weekend btw (I still owe you for the taxi).

Don't worry about it. Did you end up meeting up with the wire?

lsathalon

Bronze

Post by lsathalon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:12 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:Just got my award today, and I'm shocked that I received any $$$ at all. The letter, however, is vaguely worded. Does accepting the scholarship mean I have to withdraw from all other schools to which I've applied---even those that have not yet rendered a decision (I'm looking at you CLS and Harvard :| )? What about schools that have waitlisted you?

I'm assuming yes on both, but wanted to survey the TLS crew as well.
No, you only have to withdraw from schools that have already accepted you.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:13 pm

lsathalon wrote:
legalnoeagle wrote:Just got my award today, and I'm shocked that I received any $$$ at all. The letter, however, is vaguely worded. Does accepting the scholarship mean I have to withdraw from all other schools to which I've applied---even those that have not yet rendered a decision (I'm looking at you CLS and Harvard :| )? What about schools that have waitlisted you?

This. I emailed them to confirm this absolutely today, and they said in no uncertain terms that I am allowed to stay in at schools that have not yet admitted me.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:24 am

Just got financial aid e-mail -- no award. Sticker.

Boo.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:34 am

so does someone want to tell me why I have to accept or decline their very generous award of $0 by april 19th? Just because they took time out of their day to press send, I now have a week and a half less to decide if I want to do there?

/bitterness.

edit: it did "include" stafford loans, which is what I would be accepting/declining.
Last edited by holborn on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

cflames7

New

Post by cflames7 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:39 am

Law and Economics Scholarship - 20k,20k,10k(or20k if PI).

I have Harvard and Penn Levy right now (plus Chicago with more $). I'm either going debt-free or Harvard for broke. So that rules out NYU's offer.
That should free up 50k, hopefully someone on TLS gets it.

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:31 am

lsathalon wrote:

thank you. that clarifies things a great deal and is quite a relief. I thought it meant that you had to withdraw even from the shools that you hadn't heard from, which I thought was rather unfair!

WrappedUpInBooks

Bronze

Post by WrappedUpInBooks » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:28 pm

IMPORTANT TIP FOR DEALING WITH NYU FINANCIAL AID OFFICE:

If they are being extremely difficult, tell the Admissions Office about it!

My story:

Got a scholarship from NYU, with deadline to accept of 4/2. Got extention until 4/7 (today!) so that I could get my award from Columbia. My award from Columbia ended up being twice as much as the one I got from NYU. I told NYU about Columbia's award, and submitted an offical "appeal" for them to reevaluate my award.

I requested another extention, so that I could go to Columbia admitted students day, and get the response to my appeal. I was denied. I called the office, they said there was nothing that they could do, and I wouldn't hear back about whether they had increased my award until after I had comitted to going to NYU. What???

So I called admissions and told them about it. The person who answered the phone was so helpful and understanding, talked me down from my frustration, and gave me the direct e-mail addresses to the dean and assistant dean of admissions, and told me that if I didn't hear from them soon to call him again.

But I never had to call him again, because within two hours the assitant dean had moved me to the front of the queue, matched my award from Columbia, and given me another extention until 4/9 (Friday).

I give NYU admissions 5 stars!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sakura3210

Bronze

Post by Sakura3210 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:45 pm

Hey, do you guys know where and how we're supposed to submit our tax forms, etc. for the scholarships (i.e. after you've accepted the award)?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:04 pm

Sakura3210 wrote:Hey, do you guys know where and how we're supposed to submit our tax forms, etc. for the scholarships (i.e. after you've accepted the award)?
I have no clue. I figured that message was outdated because it says we need to get them in by May 15, 2008. I never heard anything about it elsewhere.

andreea7

Bronze

Post by andreea7 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:20 pm

WrappedUpInBooks wrote:IMPORTANT TIP FOR DEALING WITH NYU FINANCIAL AID OFFICE:

If they are being extremely difficult, tell the Admissions Office about it!

My story:

Got a scholarship from NYU, with deadline to accept of 4/2. Got extention until 4/7 (today!) so that I could get my award from Columbia. My award from Columbia ended up being twice as much as the one I got from NYU. I told NYU about Columbia's award, and submitted an offical "appeal" for them to reevaluate my award.

I requested another extention, so that I could go to Columbia admitted students day, and get the response to my appeal. I was denied. I called the office, they said there was nothing that they could do, and I wouldn't hear back about whether they had increased my award until after I had comitted to going to NYU. What???

So I called admissions and told them about it. The person who answered the phone was so helpful and understanding, talked me down from my frustration, and gave me the direct e-mail addresses to the dean and assistant dean of admissions, and told me that if I didn't hear from them soon to call him again.

But I never had to call him again, because within two hours the assitant dean had moved me to the front of the queue, matched my award from Columbia, and given me another extention until 4/9 (Friday).

I give NYU admissions 5 stars!
Congrats on the happy ending.

P.S. It's "extension" not extention...just in case

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:53 pm

andreea7 wrote:Congrats on the happy ending.
Oh, you can get lots of those pretty near to campus, too.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

andreea7

Bronze

Post by andreea7 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:46 pm

clintonius wrote:
andreea7 wrote:Congrats on the happy ending.
Oh, you can get lots of those pretty near to campus, too.
Haha -- forgot the double-entendre there for a while

WrappedUpInBooks

Bronze

Post by WrappedUpInBooks » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:22 pm

andreea7 wrote: P.S. It's "extension" not extention...just in case
Glad there's no spelling test on the LSAT...

kumba84

Bronze

Post by kumba84 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:36 am

Sakura3210 wrote:Hey, do you guys know where and how we're supposed to submit our tax forms, etc. for the scholarships (i.e. after you've accepted the award)?
I mailed hard copies to the financial aid office.

helpmepick

New

Post by helpmepick » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:21 pm

along the financial aid lines - does anyone know how we apply for the loans that cover the tuition not paid for by scholarship/stafford loans? i believe all these loans are supposed to be institutional now, rather than from private lenders, via the loan reform law that was passed with the healthcare bill. however, the information on the nyu website is all about private lenders and i can't get through on the phone. i have been emailing the office a lot about other stuff regarding my $ so i don't exactly want to bombard them. anyone have any idea how this works?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lsathalon

Bronze

Post by lsathalon » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:26 pm

Does anyone know why you have to give them tax forms if your award was entirely merit-based? It makes me nervous they're going to change their mind about how much they gave me!

kumba84

Bronze

Post by kumba84 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:40 am

lsathalon wrote:Does anyone know why you have to give them tax forms if your award was entirely merit-based? It makes me nervous they're going to change their mind about how much they gave me!
I only received-merit based aid and my award letter still told me to submit tax forms. I don't think it can hurt to send them in, it's not like they'll revoke your scholarship if there's a discrepancy. You could always call to ask if they're really necessary though.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:47 am

Got the big fat $0 award from the financial aid office today. That stings.

lsathalon

Bronze

Post by lsathalon » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:55 am

kumba84 wrote:
lsathalon wrote:Does anyone know why you have to give them tax forms if your award was entirely merit-based? It makes me nervous they're going to change their mind about how much they gave me!
I only received-merit based aid and my award letter still told me to submit tax forms. I don't think it can hurt to send them in, it's not like they'll revoke your scholarship if there's a discrepancy. You could always call to ask if they're really necessary though.
I emailed them about it, and they told me that all awards were provisional and subject to change based on tax info. I never gave them any financial info before, so I'm a little worried they'll decide I don't get my money after all...but surely they won't do that, right? That would be horrible--haha withdraw from Columbia and UChicago, then we take your money away! *evil laugh*

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jasonportwood

New

Post by jasonportwood » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:00 pm

Does anyone seriously considering NYU want to help my poor soul and listen to me vent about my financial aid failures at NYU and offer any advice on last ditch efforts I can take to get ANYTHING? I would think based on my numbers alone I would be eligible for at least a small grant, I was a finalist for a named scholarship, and I have what I think is decent leverage from other schools... but today I received my financial aid notification with a big $0 in grants.

NYU has been my first choice since I started researching law schools but because of my complete lack of success in this department as well as some less-than-helpful "help" I've gotten in this pursuit, I'm leaning to Columbia at this point.

PM if so...

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:41 pm

Law and Economics Scholarship. 20, 20, 10.

Submitting my deposit within the next few days. Good luck all!

helpmepick

New

Post by helpmepick » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:09 am

this is an unbelievably dumb question, but how much of a deposit are we supposed to put down? i left my acceptance letter at school so i can't refer to it and i need to put down my deposit this week. my scholarship award just says "enrollment deposit" without an amount. i believe it's $500 but i just want to make sure i'm right about that.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:27 am

It's $600. You can do it online if you need to (although the online service they use charges you around $11--but you should be getting the check insured if you're sending that much money through the mail anyway).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”