In at NYU!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
doobelle

New

Re: In at NYU!!

Post by doobelle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:21 am

tintin wrote:hey, does anyone know how easy / hard it would be to sneak having a cat if one was living in a studio / 1brm in the student housing?
Hey Tintin, I'm a total lurker but your cat's unbearable cuteness brought me out of obscurity. I have two cats and I'm probably going to try for Mercer or D'Ag (I'm moving w/ my fiance)...

From what I've been reading on TLS (maybe it was on the thread w/the 1L answering questions? I think I just searched TLS for "pets at NYU housing" or something like that), even though NYU's student housing prohibits pets its rarely enforced in the apartments (and private studios, I'm guessing) and lots of people have them, but it would be a problem in the more dorm-style residences (not sure what they meant by that - shared apartments?). I guess that means if you have a private BD in one of the shared apartments you would have to luck out and get placed with other cat lovers? My only concern is a place for the litter box (the smell might overwhelm a smaller studio), and having to cover up some of the furniture they provide so my guys don't tear everything up.

And OMG I am so psyched about NYU!

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:35 am

omg tintin your cat! soooooooo cuteee

monkeygirl

New

Post by monkeygirl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:41 am

tintin wrote:hahah, we are all kinda pathetic huh?

srsly tho, can anyone answer my cat question? I can't leave this face behind:

--ImageRemoved--

LOVE THAT FACE!!!! Tintin, you will find a safe place for the two of you. Never fear!

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:06 pm

tintin wrote:hahah, we are all kinda pathetic huh?

srsly tho, can anyone answer my cat question? I can't leave this face behind:

--ImageRemoved--
tintin, I'm not even a cat person, but yours is ridiculously cute!

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:34 pm

doobelle wrote:
tintin wrote:hey, does anyone know how easy / hard it would be to sneak having a cat if one was living in a studio / 1brm in the student housing?
Hey Tintin, I'm a total lurker but your cat's unbearable cuteness brought me out of obscurity. I have two cats and I'm probably going to try for Mercer or D'Ag (I'm moving w/ my fiance)...

From what I've been reading on TLS (maybe it was on the thread w/the 1L answering questions? I think I just searched TLS for "pets at NYU housing" or something like that), even though NYU's student housing prohibits pets its rarely enforced in the apartments (and private studios, I'm guessing) and lots of people have them, but it would be a problem in the more dorm-style residences (not sure what they meant by that - shared apartments?). I guess that means if you have a private BD in one of the shared apartments you would have to luck out and get placed with other cat lovers? My only concern is a place for the litter box (the smell might overwhelm a smaller studio), and having to cover up some of the furniture they provide so my guys don't tear everything up.

And OMG I am so psyched about NYU!

thanks!!! that makes me less antsy when thinking about the housing situation.

and my cat is pretty awesome, i know :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:31 pm

I may have asked this before, but it got buried in the thread, so I'll try again:

If you got the aid application e-mail but did not get the e-mail about Dean's scholarships, is there any point in applying for merit aid only? I don't think I will qualify for need-based, but am hoping for a little bit of merit aid. If I did not get the Dean's scholarship e-mail, does that mean I am SOL with regard to merit aid, or do I still have a chance of getting something?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:44 pm

democrattotheend wrote:I may have asked this before, but it got buried in the thread, so I'll try again:

If you got the aid application e-mail but did not get the e-mail about Dean's scholarships, is there any point in applying for merit aid only? I don't think I will qualify for need-based, but am hoping for a little bit of merit aid. If I did not get the Dean's scholarship e-mail, does that mean I am SOL with regard to merit aid, or do I still have a chance of getting something?
No one knows. Just fill out the merit aid form, and we'll find out.

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:45 pm

BenJ wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:I may have asked this before, but it got buried in the thread, so I'll try again:

Did you ever get the Dean's Scholarship e-mail?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:46 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
BenJ wrote:

Did you ever get the Dean's Scholarship e-mail?
No. It appears to have been just a single blast.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pineapples

New

Post by pineapples » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:02 pm

has anyone who applied for an IILJ scholarship heard anything?

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:54 pm

Just able to log into admitted students site today!!! Anyone on here find out this way? How long did the purple package take to get to you? I am in the MD/DC/VA area. Thanks!

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:18 pm

CG614 wrote:Just able to log into admitted students site today!!! Anyone on here find out this way? How long did the purple package take to get to you? I am in the MD/DC/VA area. Thanks!
First off, congrats!

The BPE should take two or three days to reach you. I could log in on 2/4, and the package arrived on 2/6 here in the Boston area, postmarked 2/4 (although the letter was dated 2/2).

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:41 pm

BenJ wrote:
CG614 wrote:Just able to log into admitted students site today!!! Anyone on here find out this way? How long did the purple package take to get to you? I am in the MD/DC/VA area. Thanks!
First off, congrats!

The BPE should take two or three days to reach you. I could log in on 2/4, and the package arrived on 2/6 here in the Boston area, postmarked 2/4 (although the letter was dated 2/2).
Thanks! I am floored! NYU Law has always been a dream of mine!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

big_blue79

Bronze

Post by big_blue79 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:55 pm

I think I am in. I was able to log into the admitted students' website, change my password, and surf around. My first acceptance! I can't wait to visit and see if NY is for me. If anyone has tips on finding a good neighborhood (I don't mind taking 30 mins of subway if I can get a decent 2 bedroom that takes small dogs... and my wife), feel free to PM.

Yay!

Series70

New

Post by Series70 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:28 pm

^ You may want to look into Bay Ridge (Brooklyn). It's a great neighborhood; I'm living there now and have no intentions of leaving (my wife and I are actually looking into buying a co-op). Maybe 35-40 minutes to the West 4th St station on the D (right by NYU law), according to MTA trip planner.

I post that for the general benefit of everybody going to NYU who doesn't necessary want to live in the village (either because of a partner, pets, cost, or whatever). Bay Ridge is A LOT cheaper than Manhattan in every respect, from groceries to restaurants to rent. And I also may have a 1-bedroom to sublet beginning in the summer :mrgreen: (cats are fine, but sorry, no dogs--although plenty of tenants break that rule).

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:48 pm

big_blue79 wrote:I think I am in. I was able to log into the admitted students' website, change my password, and surf around. My first acceptance! I can't wait to visit and see if NY is for me. If anyone has tips on finding a good neighborhood (I don't mind taking 30 mins of subway if I can get a decent 2 bedroom that takes small dogs... and my wife), feel free to PM.

Yay!
Bay Ridge is a decent one for a family, as mentioned. Sunnyside and Astoria in Queens are also good family neighborhoods that are cheaper than Manhattan and relatively short subway rides (maybe 20-30 mins from Astoria, closer to 35 from Sunnyside due to changing trains). If you're willing to pay a bit more (but still less than Manhattan), look into the brownstone neighborhoods of inner Brooklyn: Park Slope, Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill and Boerum Hill.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:57 pm

big_blue79 wrote:I think I am in. I was able to log into the admitted students' website, change my password, and surf around. My first acceptance! I can't wait to visit and see if NY is for me. If anyone has tips on finding a good neighborhood (I don't mind taking 30 mins of subway if I can get a decent 2 bedroom that takes small dogs... and my wife), feel free to PM.

Yay!
+1 to the advice so far, and there's also Roosevelt Island, which is very family-friendly, quiet, and convenient. You may not find anywhere much cheaper than you would in Manhattan, but you will get more space for your buck. Best of all, the F train goes straight into NYU; shouldn't take you more than 20-30 minutes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

benewagain

New

Post by benewagain » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:58 am

lz06 wrote:
jasonportwood wrote:has anyone who applied for one of the named scholarships gotten these Dean's Scholarships e-mails?

Hoping they are waiting to tell me that I have been nominated for one of those instead... :?
I applied for a named scholarship and got the Dean's invitation... I'm not sure if this means I definitely didn't get the named one?
follow-up question, did anyone receive invitations for both a dean's AND a named scholarship? i'm 179/3.95 admitted in late january and haven't heard about either, but applied to the named (RTK). am hoping they're being offered as either-or and i'm just in a late pool to hear?? sigh...

big_blue79

Bronze

Post by big_blue79 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:43 am

BenJ wrote:Bay Ridge is a decent one for a family, as mentioned. Sunnyside and Astoria in Queens are also good family neighborhoods that are cheaper than Manhattan and relatively short subway rides (maybe 20-30 mins from Astoria, closer to 35 from Sunnyside due to changing trains). If you're willing to pay a bit more (but still less than Manhattan), look into the brownstone neighborhoods of inner Brooklyn: Park Slope, Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill and Boerum Hill.
BaiAilian2013 wrote: +1 to the advice so far, and there's also Roosevelt Island, which is very family-friendly, quiet, and convenient. You may not find anywhere much cheaper than you would in Manhattan, but you will get more space for your buck. Best of all, the F train goes straight into NYU; shouldn't take you more than 20-30 minutes.
Great info guys, thanks! I think I'll look into Roosevelt Island if for no other reason than I want to ride the F-Train. It just sounds like something I could use in casual conversation.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:26 am

big_blue79 wrote:
BenJ wrote:Bay Ridge is a decent one for a family, as mentioned. Sunnyside and Astoria in Queens are also good family neighborhoods that are cheaper than Manhattan and relatively short subway rides (maybe 20-30 mins from Astoria, closer to 35 from Sunnyside due to changing trains). If you're willing to pay a bit more (but still less than Manhattan), look into the brownstone neighborhoods of inner Brooklyn: Park Slope, Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill and Boerum Hill.
BaiAilian2013 wrote: +1 to the advice so far, and there's also Roosevelt Island, which is very family-friendly, quiet, and convenient. You may not find anywhere much cheaper than you would in Manhattan, but you will get more space for your buck. Best of all, the F train goes straight into NYU; shouldn't take you more than 20-30 minutes.
Great info guys, thanks! I think I'll look into Roosevelt Island if for no other reason than I want to ride the F-Train. It just sounds like something I could use in casual conversation.
Haha, you'd get to ride the F train from brownstone Brooklyn, too, just in the other direction. It's the N and W trains from Astoria, or the 7 train from Sunnyside. Or the R train from Bay Ridge.

benewagain

New

Post by benewagain » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:17 am

All of them? I haven't even been accepted yet but was really hoping that I would at least be considered for a scholarship (and did get my application in just in time)...[/quote]
I don't think all of them have gone out, but some definitely have.[/quote]

No, no. Crackberry, you are right. Scribe, you are wrong. I wrote ITT (a couple of pages ago) that I got an RTK interview. I was called on Wednesday, February 17th, 2010 at around 4 pm EST. Yep.[/quote][/quote]

just called admissions and they said that everyone would hear about the RTK by march 12 and wouldn't comment on the fact that some people have already received invitations to interview. i outright asked whether not having heard at this point is an indication that i'm no longer being considered and the person told me i'd just have to wait till the 12th... i can't see any reason why she wouldn't just have shot me straight if all of the invites had already gone out?? or maybe this is just wishful thinking... :?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:19 am

Not the R train! ANYTHING but the R train! ACK.

Truly though, it's one of the older lines in the system, which means the trains are dated, and it runs local. But swapping to the N train is easy and will drop you off right at NYU on 8th street. If I attend, that's how I plan to make my way in from my apartment in Bay Ridge.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:27 pm

<< This guy is still in disbelief.

monkeygirl

New

Post by monkeygirl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:31 pm

clintonius wrote:Not the R train! ANYTHING but the R train! ACK.

Truly though, it's one of the older lines in the system, which means the trains are dated, and it runs local. But swapping to the N train is easy and will drop you off right at NYU on 8th street. If I attend, that's how I plan to make my way in from my apartment in Bay Ridge.
Hmmmm...would you take the R over the G?? It's kind of like deciding which circle of purgatory you want to live in.

I live on the C, which is going away (if you believe the MTA hype), but my rent is ridiculously cheap so I'm not moving!
Chances are that the A will take over and I can take that to West 4th St, a block or two from campus. Actually, would the Spring St. station might be closer to the law school/Furman Hall?

Series70

New

Post by Series70 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:51 pm

clintonius wrote:Not the R train! ANYTHING but the R train! ACK.

I've found the D even faster (and the West 4th St station is closer to the law school). Usually, I just get off the R at 36th and take whichever comes first, N or D. But yeah, there's no reason to ride the R all the way from Bay Ridge into Manhattan, unless you're getting off below Canal/Grand.
monkeygirl wrote:Hmmmm...would you take the R over the G?? It's kind of like deciding which circle of purgatory you want to live in.

Woah, the G?! That's ghetto! The R may be old, but the G takes you right through the heart of Bed-Stuy, past the Marcy Projects. I'll take the old slow R anyday :mrgreen: (no offense to any fans of the G intended).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”