In at NYU!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Legacy316

Bronze

Re: In at NYU!!

Post by Legacy316 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:11 pm

Man it's not even Christmas and I'm already kind of torn thinking about NYU vs. Berkeley! If CLS and SLS were to somehow come calling, I would truly not know what to do!

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:25 pm

pikalove wrote:IN AT NYU!!!!

This is a dream..... I applied ED so I'm definitely going. I'm so happy to join all the rest of you who have been accepted, and hopefully some of you will be my classmates next year!!!
Congrats!

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:16 pm

Legacy316 wrote:Man it's not even Christmas and I'm already kind of torn thinking about NYU vs. Berkeley! If CLS and SLS were to somehow come calling, I would truly not know what to do!
I bet you'd go to Stanford.

jasonportwood

New

Post by jasonportwood » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:36 pm

Throwing my hat into this thread. In last week, and still battling a case of disbelief -- all throughout the process (including after my first LSAT score), I was pretty sure that if I wanted to remain in NYC I'd end up at Fordham. So thrilled that I have my dream school in my back pocket three weeks before the end of the year.

BTW, on the subject of housing, has anyone investigated the two NYU Law resident buildings? Knowing NYU's undergrad housing prices are through the roof, I'm guessing this is the same for the Law buildings... can anyone confirm? More likely, I will probably migrate from upper, upper Manhattan into Brooklyn to be closer to campus.

I, too, love the architecture... and the fact that the original staircase from Edgar Allen Poe's house is preserved in one of the law buildings...

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:36 pm

Legacy316 wrote:Man it's not even Christmas and I'm already kind of torn thinking about NYU vs. Berkeley! If CLS and SLS were to somehow come calling, I would truly not know what to do!
Hipster dream come true

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:52 pm

innnnn today

my very first "in at X" thread. and a pretty sweet X at that. congrats everyone!

amidea

Bronze

Post by amidea » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:01 pm

GargamelITT wrote:innnnn today

my very first "in at X" thread. and a pretty sweet X at that. congrats everyone!
Congrats! And welcome to the thread :) It's my first one too, but hopefully not the last.

Bronze

Post by 4910 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:06 pm

hey guys i had a question.

i initially applied to nyu just for the sake of applying and never thought about attending, but ive heard so many good things about the school that ive started to think about it. i know it is obviously good at educating public servants, but the question is, what about other areas of law? will i still be able to compete with schools like columbia, harvard, stanford, etc in other areas such as international, environmental, corporate, etc?

flawyer

New

Post by flawyer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:25 pm

4910 wrote:hey guys i had a question.

i initially applied to nyu just for the sake of applying and never thought about attending, but ive heard so many good things about the school that ive started to think about it. i know it is obviously good at educating public servants, but the question is, what about other areas of law? will i still be able to compete with schools like columbia, harvard, stanford, etc in other areas such as international, environmental, corporate, etc?
I have heard many things referencing NYU's ties to Public Interest, however...
8% of last year's class was employed in public interest, while 79% of that class was employed at law firms.
Based on that stat, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bliverman

New

Post by bliverman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:41 pm

Just got in and 30 seconds later saw the under review email from CLS...so much for the first acceptance taking a little stress off.

thegreenroom

New

Post by thegreenroom » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:46 pm

I don't know about environmental or business, but NYU has one of the top programs in international law, competing with Columbia (and winning depending on who you ask).

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:47 pm

bliverman wrote:Just got in and 30 seconds later saw the under review email from CLS...so much for the first acceptance taking a little stress off.
Do you mean the complete / forwarded to committee one or a different one?

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:48 pm

thegreenroom wrote:I don't know about environmental or business, but NYU has one of the top programs in international law, competing with Columbia (and winning depending on who you ask).
NYU is top-5 in the country in environmental. Even more impressive considering the top two are essentially specialty schools (Vermont and Lewis & Clark).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

spiffypyro

New

Post by spiffypyro » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:56 pm

I'm really excited to be in too! Never thought I'd hear this early from NYU, so that is going to make choosing between there and Berkeley a little tougher!

Too bad my top 2 schools are the ones with the most ridiculous COLs though... sigh

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:02 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:booyah! NYU is one of my top choices (along with columbia), and I'm gonna love spending 3 years in NYC. the real question is how I'm going to study while actually going to (and affording) all of the shows I'll want to see. I've never really lived in a city with a really good music scene so I'm pretty psyched!
i wouldn't worry about it, you won't have much time for other stuff besides law school and drinking.

congrats on nyu btw hope to see all of you guys @ ASW

amidea

Bronze

Post by amidea » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:33 pm

How long do you think it'll take them to get the Admitted Students website up and running? I need something to take my mind off the lack of other acceptances...

hopefullaw27

Bronze

Post by hopefullaw27 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:06 pm

do most people live walking distance to the law school? understandably, brooklyn and the surrounding areas are much cheaper, but I'm not particularly excited to commute 30 minutes to class...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:07 pm

badfish wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:booyah! NYU is one of my top choices (along with columbia), and I'm gonna love spending 3 years in NYC. the real question is how I'm going to study while actually going to (and affording) all of the shows I'll want to see. I've never really lived in a city with a really good music scene so I'm pretty psyched!
i wouldn't worry about it, you won't have much time for other stuff besides law school and drinking.

Spend your drinking time going to shows and concerts; you'll be a much more interesting person for it.

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:17 pm

managamy wrote:
badfish wrote:

Spend your drinking time going to shows and concerts; you'll be a much more interesting person for it.
Not that I disagree with your basic premise, but when you have to read for torts and civ pro, it's a lot easier to go drink for a few hours after your reading than it is to allot 5 hours to go to some concert.

With that said, I did get to see weezer live for the first time during this semester, which was awesome.

spiffypyro

New

Post by spiffypyro » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:42 pm

badfish wrote:
managamy wrote:
badfish wrote:

Not that I disagree with your basic premise, but when you have to read for torts and civ pro, it's a lot easier to go drink for a few hours after your reading than it is to allot 5 hours to go to some concert.

With that said, I did get to see weezer live for the first time during this semester, which was awesome.
jealous!!

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:56 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:do most people live walking distance to the law school? understandably, brooklyn and the surrounding areas are much cheaper, but I'm not particularly excited to commute 30 minutes to class...
A couple people, including myself, got answers to questions along this line here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =4&t=57498 and here : http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =4&t=86290. It sounds like it's not a big deal. I will have maybe a 20 minute commute if I attend... the F train goes straight there, so it's not too bad.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:58 pm

GargamelITT wrote:innnnn today

Yay!! Congratulations numbers sibling!!

Legacy316

Bronze

Post by Legacy316 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:00 am

LieutKaffee wrote:
I bet you'd go to Stanford.
This is probably true.

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:11 am

spiffypyro wrote:
badfish wrote:
jealous!!
it was awesome. they opened with a rendition of war pigs and transitioned it into hash pipe... it was pretty badass

i've attached a link so you can rock out to it too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPO7gDYVgJ8

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:24 am

badfish wrote:
spiffypyro wrote:
badfish wrote:
jealous!!
it was awesome. they opened with a rendition of war pigs and transitioned it into hash pipe... it was pretty badass

i've attached a link so you can rock out to it too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPO7gDYVgJ8
haha, interesting :P I'm a huge metal head so I'm pretty pumped about being in a city where there's actually a scene for underground black/death metal. I know I'll have to study a lot, but I think that my free time will probably be mostly taken up by shows when I have the money :) I can always drink at the shows, after all!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”