In at NYU!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kumba84

Bronze

Re: In at NYU!!

Post by kumba84 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:30 am

ankit wrote:
jasonportwood wrote:
englawyer wrote:oh i thought i read the academic scholarship programs also required the financial aid form..maybe i misread
this is my understanding as well... if you expect any sort of aid from nyu, they ask you to fill out the form.
This is what their presentation on financial aid states (found on the FAAPS website) -

Institutional aid (Scholarships)
- Academic Scholars Awards (Furman, Housing and Urban Policy, Criminal Law, etc.)
- Named Program Awards (AnBryce, Root Tilden Kern, Teach for America, etc.)
- Dean’s Awards (Combination Need and Merit)

That's why I got the impression that they require the form only for the dean's awards, as those are the ones awarded based on need + merit. Anyway I could easily be wrong about this, so I'm filling them out early just to be on the safe side.
On their website, it states that between RTK finalists who are otherwise equal, the recipient will be selected based on need. I doubt this ever really happens, though.

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:18 am

Sorry for the kind of random question-- but *is* there an online status checker at NYU law ? I didn't find a link to one in their e-mails or on the JD Admissions website.

kumba84

Bronze

Post by kumba84 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:28 am

neimanmarxist wrote:Sorry for the kind of random question-- but *is* there an online status checker at NYU law ? I didn't find a link to one in their e-mails or on the JD Admissions website.
No status checker. You may or may not get a complete email--I never did, and was accepted.

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:30 am

thanks for responding.
I guess I'll just sit here quietly in the dark, then.
(sighs).

mockstar

New

Post by mockstar » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:48 pm

Does anybody else have serious problems with the admitted students website? Sometimes I can log in and sometimes I can't. It will literally take me 10 times sometimes before it finally recognizes my password.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mwazaumoja

New

Post by mwazaumoja » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:05 pm

Regarding Admitted Student Weekends:

I would recommend not going to the events with your parents. I'm a 1L, and met a good portion of my current friends at the various mixers (they love getting you drunk) during ASWs. I'm not saying your parents shouldn't come at all, I just wouldn't come with mine.

However, if you choose to bring your girlfriend, that should be fine. A lot of married students come with their spouse.

a.shoshana

Bronze

Post by a.shoshana » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:54 am

TheWire wrote:
a.shoshana wrote:Just rsvp'ed for the March 25-26 ASD!! Anyone else coming?
I believe that will be the weekend that I'm attending...I'm not sure if I'm entering the right profession for this, but drinks anyone? TITCR: @ ASW ---> "Drinks...Duh"
Screw "right profession"... I'm taking you up on this.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:21 am

i am also in for march 25/26 most likely

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:39 pm

where do you guys plan on staying for ASW?? I am really worried about the cost of the whole thing, because it involves flying out from CA for me....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:41 pm

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:31 pm

Anyone know when Scholly info comes out for NYU?

roxj

Bronze

Post by roxj » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:45 pm

tintin wrote:where do you guys plan on staying for ASW?? I am really worried about the cost of the whole thing, because it involves flying out from CA for me....
I'm dealing with the same thing. I'm in Seattle and I really want to come see NYU. I have friends in undergrad at Georgetown (DC) and John Hopkins (Baltimore), so I think I'm going to crash with them and take a bus into the city, which I heard is $15-20 each way, ie still cheaper than a hotel. Then again, if ASW starts at 8:30 on Saturday morning or something, I'm going to need a new plan.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:46 pm

I am still profoundly confused about the way merit aid works at NYU.

I applied for one of the Law Scholars Programs (not a named scholarship like RTK, but the Environmental Law Scholars Program). If they want me to interview for that, I assume they will let me know and things will take care of themselves. On the other hand, if I don't get it, do I need to fill out the merit aid form on the admitted students site? People have tried explaining this before, but I haven't found an explanation I understand yet.

What's the deal?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mockstar

New

Post by mockstar » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:28 pm

roxj wrote:
tintin wrote:where do you guys plan on staying for ASW?? I am really worried about the cost of the whole thing, because it involves flying out from CA for me....
I'm dealing with the same thing. I'm in Seattle and I really want to come see NYU. I have friends in undergrad at Georgetown (DC) and John Hopkins (Baltimore), so I think I'm going to crash with them and take a bus into the city, which I heard is $15-20 each way, ie still cheaper than a hotel. Then again, if ASW starts at 8:30 on Saturday morning or something, I'm going to need a new plan.
I'm still trying to figure out hwere I'm staying too. Roxj, you do know that that is a several hour bus ride, right? I know I have no concept of how far apart things are on the west coast (being an east coaster), so I just wanted to make sure. The website has the schedule for how early things start. Can't remember off the top of my head how far it is. But it's also my understanding that people go out and get to know each other and things like that, so I don't know if you want to pigeonhole yourself like that either, having to take a bus back at the end of the day.

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:40 pm

crackberry wrote:I am still profoundly confused about the way merit aid works at NYU.

I applied for one of the Law Scholars Programs (not a named scholarship like RTK, but the Environmental Law Scholars Program). If they want me to interview for that, I assume they will let me know and things will take care of themselves. On the other hand, if I don't get it, do I need to fill out the merit aid form on the admitted students site? People have tried explaining this before, but I haven't found an explanation I understand yet.

What's the deal?
The simple answer is, everyone should fill out their financial aid application form once it becomes available on the Admitted Students Website (1st Feb 2010 onwards). They will mainly use this form for the non-named scholarships, but according to some posters, they claim to use it to break ties for the named scholarships as well. Anyway just complete the form once it's available, and the process will kick in by itself after you do.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 pm

ankit wrote:
crackberry wrote:I am still profoundly confused about the way merit aid works at NYU.

What's the deal?
The simple answer is, everyone should fill out their financial aid application form once it becomes available on the Admitted Students Website (1st Feb 2010 onwards). They will mainly use this form for the non-named scholarships, but according to some posters, they claim to use it to break ties for the named scholarships as well. Anyway just complete the form once it's available, and the process will kick in by itself after you do.
Ok. I appreciate the quick response. Available Feb. 1 you say?

musketeerlady

New

Post by musketeerlady » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:16 pm

To those looking for a place to stay in NYC: if you don't want to crash at random strangers' places from Couch Surfing or Air B&B, there are affordable hostels. Dorm bed, nothing fancy, might not be close to NYU, but it's usually $30 or so a night. When I first came to NYC, I stayed at a hostel near Central Park in the 100s street, and it was safe. NYU Law is at West 4 stop on the B,D,F,V,A,C,E train, so as long as the hostel is near one of those trains it's convenient.

I'm surprised that NYU doesn't offer hosting by current students?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:22 pm

crackberry wrote:
ankit wrote:

What's the deal?
Ok. I appreciate the quick response. Available Feb. 1 you say?
Yep Feb 1st, and they start reviewing applications in early March. That's what they told me in a recent e-mail.

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Post by Dtackpat75 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:43 pm

roxj wrote:
Am I missing something here? This seems absurd. Taking a bus into Manhattan from Johns Hopkins or Georgetown. That is madness.

roxj

Bronze

Post by roxj » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:15 am

mockstar wrote:
roxj wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out hwere I'm staying too. Roxj, you do know that that is a several hour bus ride, right? I know I have no concept of how far apart things are on the west coast (being an east coaster), so I just wanted to make sure. The website has the schedule for how early things start. Can't remember off the top of my head how far it is. But it's also my understanding that people go out and get to know each other and things like that, so I don't know if you want to pigeonhole yourself like that either, having to take a bus back at the end of the day.
I think it's 2.5 hours each way. I guess I'd have to be pretty desperate to go roundtrip several days in a row. The hostel is sounding like a smart alternative. I stayed in hostels all over Europe. They aren't glamorous but for what you're paying, I can't complain.

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:22 am

roxj wrote:
mockstar wrote:
roxj wrote:
I think it's 2.5 hours each way. I guess I'd have to be pretty desperate to go roundtrip several days in a row. The hostel is sounding like a smart alternative. I stayed in hostels all over Europe. They aren't glamorous but for what you're paying, I can't complain.
It's more like four hours.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dcchillin

New

Post by dcchillin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:18 am

Didn't see anyone mention this, but I got the viewbook and faculty book today in a welcome packet from NYU. Just an FYI

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:21 am

dcchillin wrote:Didn't see anyone mention this, but I got the viewbook and faculty book today in a welcome packet from NYU. Just an FYI
You're fashionably late to that party.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:22 am

dcchillin wrote:Didn't see anyone mention this, but I got the viewbook and faculty book today in a welcome packet from NYU. Just an FYI
Got it this weekend.

mwazaumoja

New

Post by mwazaumoja » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:36 am

An NYU student living in one of the dorms will likely be who you stay with. They want you to come and they make the experience as painless as possible.

In a similar vein, applying for financial aid is similarly painless. You sign some papers, and a large check goes to the school, and an equally large check goes to your bank account. The federal government will handle everything, no need to stress over private lenders.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”