In at NYU!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BaiAilian2013

Silver

In at NYU!!

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:20 am

In order that we might keep the NYU 2010 thread free of discussions that are at the current time painfully irrelevant to many of its residents, here is an admitted students' thread. OMG we're in!! Hooray!!

I can't log into the website either. But I did go skulk around the buildings today, and they look very nice! Who's planning on going to admitted students' day?
Last edited by BaiAilian2013 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

babaghanouj

Bronze

Re: In at NYU!!

Post by babaghanouj » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:26 am

Congrats! Wish I were there so I could skulk around buildings... but no, I'm in the middle of nowhere studying for finals that don't really matter so much now... :? I've been trying to find a virtual tour, but I don't think one exists...

BaiAilian, would you take NYU over Columbia?

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:29 am

does anyone know if NYU offers $ to people to come to admitted students days? I am on the west coast so it will be quite an expensive journey if not...

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:35 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:In order that we might keep the NYU 2010 thread free of discussions that are painfully irrelevant to many of its residents, here is an admitted students' thread. OMG we're in!! Hooray!!

I can't log into the website either. But I did go skulk around the buildings today, and they look very nice! Who's planning on going to admitted students' day?
Are you implying many of us will be rejected? :evil:

Not yet relevant =/= irrelevant

Just messing with ya...

brennanlives

New

Post by brennanlives » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:45 am

when are the admitted students days?! i still haven't gotten to go home to see my letter yet...

ps so psyched and congrats all!! NYU is definitely among my top choices! how about you?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

georgina

Bronze

Post by georgina » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:47 am

tintin wrote:does anyone know if NYU offers $ to people to come to admitted students days? I am on the west coast so it will be quite an expensive journey if not...
+1 i'd like to know. $ would make me happy.

summerschooled

Bronze

Post by summerschooled » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:50 am

georgina wrote:
tintin wrote:does anyone know if NYU offers $ to people to come to admitted students days? I am on the west coast so it will be quite an expensive journey if not...
+1 i'd like to know. $ would make me happy.
Yeah, me too. I guess it wouldn't be absurdly expensive for me to fly up on my own, but I'm 100% broke right now. Anyway, so excited about NYU!

amidea

Bronze

Post by amidea » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:55 am

I'm joining! Yea does anyone know when ASD would be? I'd like to go check it out. I'm from NY so it's pretty easy...

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:57 am

LieutKaffee wrote:

Just messing with ya...
No, that is a good point. Maybe I am projecting my feelings about Harvard! Lol.

I like to play the NYU v. Columbia game because it makes me feel happy about my life, but I really don't know the answer. My instinct is that Columbia has more prestige, but I also think that instinct is very skewed by too much contact with non-legal areas. Probably the only correct thing to do is to do more serious research into both schools, but maybe I should make sure Columbia accepts me before I do that and open myself up to heartbreak.

The website says you can do a self-guided tour, but I'm afraid that might consist of "OK, stop bugging me and go walk around," so I didn't ask. Also it's finals. No idea if they pay for admitted students to visit, but hopefully that's a simple enough question that the admissions office would happily answer it?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:59 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:

Just messing with ya...

I like to play the NYU v. Columbia game because it makes me feel happy about my life, but I really don't know the answer. My instinct is that Columbia has more prestige, but I also think that instinct is very skewed by too much contact with non-legal areas. Probably the only correct thing to do is to do more serious research into both schools, but maybe I should make sure Columbia accepts me before I do that and open myself up to heartbreak.

The website says you can do a self-guided tour, but I'm afraid that might consist of "OK, stop bugging me and go walk around," so I didn't ask. Also it's finals. No idea if they pay for admitted students to visit, but hopefully that's a simple enough question that the admissions office would happily answer it?
Imagine how hard it was for me to decide which school to ED to.

facetious

Bronze

Post by facetious » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:02 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:

Just messing with ya...

no bothering the admissions office! they are too busy writing acceptance letters to all the TLS EDers!

s419

New

Post by s419 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:59 am

Is it possible that the admitted students website some people have been trying to get to is just a financial aid related thing/only accessible once you apply for financial aid? I lean towards thinking that because of the use of SSNs as log-ins. Or else that's just bad form.

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:33 am

booyah! NYU is one of my top choices (along with columbia), and I'm gonna love spending 3 years in NYC. the real question is how I'm going to study while actually going to (and affording) all of the shows I'll want to see. I've never really lived in a city with a really good music scene so I'm pretty psyched!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:38 am

s419 wrote:Is it possible that the admitted students website some people have been trying to get to is just a financial aid related thing/only accessible once you apply for financial aid? I lean towards thinking that because of the use of SSNs as log-ins. Or else that's just bad form.
That would be kind of a crappy admitted students' site! Maybe since their mailings are all over the place, they're waiting until everyone from this batch has probably gotten their letter before getting it up and running. OR, in their subsequent mailings they're going to tell us about it, and they don't see a reason to put it up until then. I'm hoping this mailing will come soon and tell us lots of things, like when ASD is and whether we're getting aid... lol.

ravens20

Bronze

Post by ravens20 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:42 am

It seems like there are several of these threads but I'll gladly contribute to this one. Damn excited, both to live in New York and to be taught by some of the biggest names in the business (like Arthur Miller, Epstein, etc). Kind of worried about the ridiculous COL though...so I'm looking at cheaper housing options.

roxj

Bronze

Post by roxj » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:16 am

I am so psyched! Congrats to all of us, and I'm sure more will be joining this thread in the coming months.

I'm going to weigh in on the Columbia v. NYU issue. I don't want to trash talk CLS, it's a great school (and I did apply), but I find NYU way more appealing. It just seems a lot more laid back, more public-interest focused, the students even seem more down-to-earth. I know hardly anyone actually takes public interest jobs, but NYU's LRAP speaks for itself. I even prefer the architecture, not that it's a deciding factor (plus I have to say, Columbia's undergrad campus is beautiful).

CLSers, please don't attack me! They are BOTH great schools.

NYU was my dream school when I applied, but I am a little freaked about the COL. So freaked that I might go to Michigan instead. Fortunately, I have months to decide.

amidea

Bronze

Post by amidea » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:26 pm

I don't have any of my own personal experience to speak from, but a friend of mine chose between NYU and CLS last year and she chose NYU because she didn't (and still doesn't) like the people at CLS as much and in her own words, "it's not a very happy law school." Whether her view has any truth to it is a different matter, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

monkeygirl

New

Post by monkeygirl » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:20 pm

I still can't believe it-I am so happy that I want to cry.
This is a dream come true for me, and I never thought I would make it this far.

The best part is that I don't even have to move!
I am totally going to skulk around there after work.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:20 pm

amidea wrote:I don't have any of my own personal experience to speak from, but a friend of mine chose between NYU and CLS last year and she chose NYU because she didn't (and still doesn't) like the people at CLS as much and in her own words, "it's not a very happy law school." Whether her view has any truth to it is a different matter, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
A girl I know was telling me that after she visited both schools, she fell in love with CLS and was lukewarm-at-best about NYU. Meanwhile, she said the following about a good friend of hers attending Yale:
I think it's all just a matter of preference though. My friend at Yale said NYU was her second choice based on her campus visits (above Harvard and Columbia). She violently hated Columbia.

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:27 pm

Yay NYU!!! Like everyone else has said I'm freaking out about COL but as of right now NYU is definitely one of my top choices :D

monkeygirl

New

Post by monkeygirl » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:37 pm

COL doesn't HAVE to be super high, but you need to either accept (a) living in Brooklyn like I do, or (b) sharing a tiny
Manhattan apt. My place is less than 20 minutes on the subway from NYU, and it's CHEAP. (The landlord will have to use a crowbar to get me out of there in the next 3 1/2 years :twisted: )

Then again, there may be law student housing that works for some people. I just haven't bothered checking since I live w/my boyfriend and our cats.

I've had my own apartment in NYC since 1996, so if anyone wants some friendly advice on which neighborhoods to look in vs. which to avoid like the plague, PM me and I will help you in whatever way I can.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mayosmith

Bronze

Post by mayosmith » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:45 pm

monkeygirl wrote:I've had my own apartment in NYC since 1996, so if anyone wants some friendly advice on which neighborhoods to look in vs. which to avoid like the plague, PM me and I will help you in whatever way I can.
+1. As long as you can read a subway map, you can affordably place yourself in the category of millions of New Yorkers who commute to work/school/everywhere. Concepts like "Brooklyn" and "Queens" don't have to be scary; in fact, I'd argue that those two boroughs have more livable spaces than anywhere else in the city, especially if you're accustomed to a more low-key environment where you live now.

I'm also an NYU EDer who has lived in the city for several years, and while I haven't heard anything yet from the school, I'm always happy to help TLS folks who have questions about parts of town, apartment pricing, etc. It's part of my job to know real estate and neighborhoods here; just PM me.

pikalove

Bronze

Post by pikalove » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:59 pm

IN AT NYU!!!!

This is a dream..... I applied ED so I'm definitely going. I'm so happy to join all the rest of you who have been accepted, and hopefully some of you will be my classmates next year!!!

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:04 pm

quite happy to be in as well.
got into georgetown a while back, but with duke, michigan, virginia, and penn ignoring and waiting to yp me and with certainly no response from chicago and columbia until late january (and yale and harvard march wait-lists a best) I have a feeling I won't be hearing from anyone else for a long time.

Everyone gives the NYU admissions office such a hard time (endless completion waits, no status check) but they got back to me at least a month and a half before Chicago or Columbia will.

Thanks NYU.

kinch

Bronze

Post by kinch » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:10 pm

pikalove wrote:IN AT NYU!!!!

This is a dream..... I applied ED so I'm definitely going. I'm so happy to join all the rest of you who have been accepted, and hopefully some of you will be my classmates next year!!!
Congrats!! When was your letter mailed?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”