Books to read before Fall (distraction from the waiting)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
robin600

Re: Books to read before Fall (distraction from the waiting)

Postby robin600 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:51 am

I have a copy of law school insider if someone wants to buy it off of me. For what it's worth, i felt that the author was kind of a tool. It seemed like "It's great this worked out for me, sucks for you if it doesn't." -Insightful into what law school could be like but you have to get over his inherent douchey-ness

WiretoWire09UF

Postby WiretoWire09UF » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:31 am

Ordinary Courage and Epic Journeys of Freedom

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:36 am

Bookmark :)

HiteMikju

Postby HiteMikju » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:42 am

My List:

E&E's for:
Civ Pro
Torts
Criminal
Property
Contracts

Listening to all same Sum & Substance audiobooks

Law 101 (Feinman)
An Introduction to Legal Reasoning (Levi)
Academic Legal Writing (Volokh)
Economics for Lawyers (Ippolito)
The Elements of Legal Style (Garner)
Prosser and Keaton on Torts
How to Do Your Best on Law School Exams (Delaney)

Other Hornbooks if I have time.

This does look like overkill, I know. But I have a lot of free time on my hands.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:33 pm

Genki wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Genki wrote:The Gunslinger by Stephen King

One of my favorite books...you realize it spans 6 other Dark Tower books and about 10 other tie-ins in the Stephen King universe, though?

Yeah, I've been meaning to get around to reading them for quite a while. I actually own the first 5 books. They've just been sitting on my book shelf for the last year or so. Now that I've finally graduated, I have a little time to actually read something that isn't a text book or a scholarly journal.

It's fantastic.

If you want to get fully in to it, you ought to read some of his other books first.

Definitely Salem's Lot. I don't want to give anything away, but you'll want to read this one.

You will also want to read The Talisman and Black House.

You'll also want to check out Hearts in Atlantis and from his collection Everything's Eventual, read Everything's Eventual and The Little Sisters of Eluria.

They all directly tie in to the series, overlapping characters and everything.

So does The Stand, but that alone adds another 1200 pages of reading. Well worth it, though.
Last edited by kalvano on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:43 pm

GlobeTrotter wrote:I guess I don't really see how this "realization" should affect my strategy? Should I be ripping pages out of other people's text books? Stealing laptops in the library? How can you do anything more than what you did in UG? (Try to ace the exam)

You can't.

All you can do is study the material (and the way the professor presents it), study how to give good answers on exams, and study what it means to "think like a lawyer". The last of those three is the only one you can reasonably work on before you actually start law school, because it's more of an idea and less of a thing in particular you need to know. The other two you learn as you go.

But you want to come in feeling fresh and ready. Don't overburden yourself by trying to teach yourself and burning out before classes even start. Enjoy life while you can, you're going to need to feel good starting the semester or you'll really hate life by the end of it.

And simply do not come in making any assumptions whatsoever about how likely you are to make Law Review, to transfer out and up, or anything like that. Accept that you have no idea going in how well you'll do, and then just do everything you can from Day One to try to do as well as you can, knowing that it may not be good enough no matter what you think about your own abilities outside of law school.

Enjoy your freedom while you have it. That's how it should affect your strategy. Don't focus too much on what you can do before you start law school, focus on how you can enjoy your last weeks of freedom so you're at your best when you come in. Don't drag yourself down by trying to get a head start and risk burning yourself out trying to relearn the same material over and over and over again.

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:24 am

:idea: tag :idea:

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:34 am

I'm 0L but reading John Hart Ely's Democracy and Distrust is pumping me up to start studying law. Maybe a good suggestion to pump you up before 1L? Not sure if this is good advice but I'm enjoying it a lot.

Rambiggler

Postby Rambiggler » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:07 am

for what it's worth, here's the advice of a T20 1L in the middle of exams now:

1) the general consensus of not trying to learn 1L curriculum before classes start is good advice for a couple reasons
-you don't take a subject, you take a professor. even different professors in the same school can be very different. VERY.
-the information doesn't really come together until sometime in the second half of the semester when you have a bird's eye view of what is going on
-despite what you may hear, if you are an adult with basic time management skills, you will have enough time to do it all while in law school

2) that being said, I would highly recommend reading the first few chapters of the E&Es ahead of time, for each class. here's why:
-you will end up reading these anyway
-they are really easy to read
-the first few chapters deal with such simple concepts that you will have no problem grasping the basic idea (what is an "offer", "acceptance", "assault", "battery", etc...)
-reading them ahead of time will give you a better understanding of what's going on and will help the learning curve (IMO).

In case you don't already know, you will read cases in law school. They are often very difficult to read until you get the hang of them, and even then not easy. Each case is in the syllabus for a reason, to illustrate some specific point or rule. Due to the infamous socratic method, your professor will not tell you the point of each case. Instead you will be asked endless questions that push the limits of what the case means and introduce various hypos and answer them with more hypos. Each case is an example of what the court did when faced with a specific set of facts (you will be expected to apply to similar fact patterns and distinguish from different fact patterns) to help you remember and understand a rule. In the end you have a bunch of rules that you got from all the cases. The learning curve in law school is about learning to effectively read a case and figure out what to take away from the cases.

Reading E&E (or other supplement) will help you understand what is important and save a lot of time overthinking things. The advantage of reading a couple chapters ahead of time is that it will put the cases in perspective of a larger framework before you even read them. Depending on your casebook, the E&E might even mention the same cases.

I didn't read them (or anything else) before law school, and wish that I did. I don't think reading them before classes will help you get ahead in the material (you will re-learn everything the professor's way no matter what) but it will help you hit the ground running and more effectively. That's just my $.02

(edit: btw I ordered the E&Es for my classes next semester already and plan on reading as much of them as I can during winter break... albeit while on the beach)

jocelyne

Postby jocelyne » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:52 am

what about emanuel outlines? should we get those?

Genki

Postby Genki » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:27 am

kalvano wrote:
Genki wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Genki wrote:The Gunslinger by Stephen King

One of my favorite books...you realize it spans 6 other Dark Tower books and about 10 other tie-ins in the Stephen King universe, though?

Yeah, I've been meaning to get around to reading them for quite a while. I actually own the first 5 books. They've just been sitting on my book shelf for the last year or so. Now that I've finally graduated, I have a little time to actually read something that isn't a text book or a scholarly journal.

It's fantastic.

If you want to get fully in to it, you ought to read some of his other books first.

Definitely Salem's Lot. I don't want to give anything away, but you'll want to read this one.

You will also want to read The Talisman and Black House.

You'll also want to check out Hearts in Atlantis and from his collection Everything's Eventual, read Everything's Eventual and The Little Sisters of Eluria.

They all directly tie in to the series, overlapping characters and everything.

So does The Stand, but that alone adds another 1200 pages of reading. Well worth it, though.

Sounds like my list of books to read before law school just got a lot longer.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:27 am

SeymourShowz wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:I've been out of school for a couple of years and my writing skills have probably gotten a bit rusty. Does anyone know of a good introductory book on legal writing?

I've heard good things about this one... But I haven't read it (yet).

http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Legal-St ... 0195141628

This is a GOOD book. Also recommend the Red Book by Garner (it’s a style manual for legal writing). For your first semester memo Writing a Legal Memo by Bronsteen is a very good, short, to the point book. For your brief The Winning Brief by Garner is hands down the best (don’t need to read all of it, it set up as 100 tips to writing briefs, so read the ones you need). Burton’s legal Thesaurus is also helpful to have on hand.

After doing just above average first semester of LRW I decided I needed to go “outside” my class books and instruction in legal writing and educate MYSELF because I did not feel I was getting what I needed in the classroom. Second semester I rocked it taking highest grade in the class, getting my brief nominated for a writing award and submitting my brief to a writing contest. All of that success was, I think, do to going outside the classroom and looking for good books on the legal writing and educating MYSELF.

Note: I’m also a horrible writer, I have very bad dyslexia and misspell everything, so it’s not like I was naturally good at this stuff beforehand.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:33 am

jocelyne wrote:what about emanuel outlines? should we get those?

All this depedns on your learning style, what you want/need in a supplemnt. Emanuels are outlines, I liked them a lot personally. E&E's I HATED, but many of my classmates swore by them, but I felt they were too "dumbed" down for me, I did not need the bascis, I wanted the nuances. My advice before you buy any supplnets go to your schools bookstore/library (or one in your tonw) and pull out a bunch of the diffrent kinds of supplents and skim through them. See which style (outline, explination, hornbook, summary, nutshell, Q and A's. ect) appeals more to your learning style then get those supplements.

IHaveDietMoxie

Postby IHaveDietMoxie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Matthies wrote:writing books

awesome, thanks

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:12 pm

Beef up your rhetoric skills with Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:14 pm

The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann

booby87

Postby booby87 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:17 pm

Last edited by booby87 on Tue May 03, 2011 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:53 pm

Genki wrote:Sounds like my list of books to read before law school just got a lot longer.

Well worth it, though.

I started reading the Dark Tower series back in about 1993 or 1994, and I remember my first thought when he got run over was "Dammit, now he will never finish."

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Don't tell me you guys are going to read the books this early >_<

Rambiggler

Postby Rambiggler » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:21 pm

jocelyne wrote:what about emanuel outlines? should we get those?

i personally did not like emanual's, i liked gilberts as far as outlines go... but these are very different things.

E&E is a dumbed down, drawn out, simple explanation of a topic. I sometimes felt like they took too long to explain an issue (but this can be useful when you are dealing with something more complex), however they have a lot of value BEFORE you learn an issue. they are not great review tools (that's when commercial outlines are great... or in my opinion, a treatise written by the author of your casebook is invaluable).

Read E&E before you cover an issue in class to maximize what you get out of the class and help hone your reading/understanding of the assigned cases.

you will/should try out a lot of different materials in law school and find out what study method/materials work best for you... but the subject of this thread is what to read BEFORE law school, and IMO the only thing that would be valuable at all would be E&E

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:26 pm

I recently read The Power Broker by Robert Caro. If you have any interest in city government or the history of NYC, this shit will blow your mind.

IHaveDietMoxie

Postby IHaveDietMoxie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:24 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:I recently read The Power Broker by Robert Caro. If you have any interest in city government or the history of NYC, this shit will blow your mind.

Caro is the man, just finished the third volume of his LBJ bio(he won the Pulitzer for the first and third volumes). Incredible look into political power and a nice chunk of 20th century American political history.

Definitely plan to read The Power Broker soon.

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:28 pm

IHaveDietMoxie wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:I recently read The Power Broker by Robert Caro. If you have any interest in city government or the history of NYC, this shit will blow your mind.

Caro is the man, just finished the third volume of his LBJ bio(he won the Pulitzer for the first and third volumes). Incredible look into political power and a nice chunk of 20th century American political history.

Definitely plan to read The Power Broker soon.

Nice. I'm reading Path to Power (first LBJ volume) right now. The only bad thing about Caro: 90% of all other biographies you read after reading Caro will leave you disappointed. Hardly anyone can match Caro; other biographers just seem lazy.

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:40 pm

brief history of time by s. hawking

hopefulincal

Postby hopefulincal » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:56 pm

For those of you interested in LEEWS, there is currently a listing on eBay for the audio CD set:

--LinkRemoved--

By the way, a new set sells for $160, so don't bid too much.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”