In at Berkeley Law!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ferris1127

Re: In at Berkeley Law!

Postby ferris1127 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:34 am

is there anywhere on TLS where people are helping each other with berkeley financial aid forms? due march 2nd? which i somehow missed until this weekend?

i am unclear about how to figure out/establish that I am financially independent from my parents? i think i either do or don't need to put them (which one, or both if they're divorced?) on needaccess.org stuff depending on whether or not i qualify as independent. I don't qualify based on my age, but i MIGHT qualify based on the Statement of Independence, but thats not avail. til after March 2nd??

will some kind soul please shed some light for me......thank you!!!!

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:19 am

ferris1127 wrote:is there anywhere on TLS where people are helping each other with berkeley financial aid forms? due march 2nd? which i somehow missed until this weekend?

I thought that only the FAFSA and Need Access forms were due by March 2. Is there a Berkeley-specific FA form that is due by Tuesday?

frankjones

Postby frankjones » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:44 pm

It looks like NeedAccess and Fafsa forms were due by March 2nd. But does anyone know when the scholarship interest form is due? The website, as far as I can tell, just it under "March" on the to-do list:

JANUARY/FEBRUARY
Submit the FAFSA by March 2. Required for any type of aid. This will allow us to offer you the basic loan package and provides us with financial information used in determining grants and scholarships. All citizens/permanent residents who apply are offered loans.
Submit the Need Access application by March 2. Required for need-based aid. This will allow us to offer you a grant based on your eligibility. If you are determined to be eligible, we will update your financial aid offer with the grant. Transfer students, please note that you must submit your Expected Summer Earnings (found on our Forms page) before the award is calculated.

MARCH
Submit an optional Matching Scholarship and/or Scholarship Interest form through the Admitted Students site. Limited resources provide for only a few Matching awards each year. If you are not eligible for a Matching scholarship, we encourage you to look at other Berkeley Law, UC, and outside scholarships.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:39 pm

Just submitted my Matching Form... I really hope I get something

>insert witty name<

Postby >insert witty name< » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:46 pm

IN!!!! Sooooo excited to be able to join this thread! was in the MAR 12 FR group and got the call today :D

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:58 pm

>insert witty name< wrote:IN!!!! Sooooo excited to be able to join this thread! was in the MAR 12 FR group and got the call today :D

Congrats, and welcome!

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:04 am

This is interesting on a number of levels:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/03/12/BAL21CF6O0.DTL&tsp=1

From the selfish perspective of those of us who might be at Berkeley next year, this is bad news. The last thing the UC system needs is to be another $40 million in the hole. And the returned fees will go to former UC professional school students, including law students. It won't surprise me if the Regents put the burden on the law schools to come up with their proportional share, which Boalt would have to get by either increasing our fees or by reducing expenditures on things that benefit us.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:54 am

Dignan wrote:This is interesting on a number of levels:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/03/12/BAL21CF6O0.DTL&tsp=1

From the selfish perspective of those of us who might be at Berkeley next year, this is bad news. The last thing the UC system needs is to be another $40 million in the hole. And the returned fees will go to former UC professional school students, including law students. It won't surprise me if the Regents put the burden on the law schools to come up with their proportional share, which Boalt would have to get by either increasing our fees or by reducing expenditures on things that benefit us.

Not sure what case this article is referring to. Sounds all the world like Kashmiri v. Regents which has already been decided, payments begun to the plaintiff class members and have been charged or accounted for in the already announced increases.

If it's a different case, I think it would be hard to pass on additional increases since we are already pushing the limits of private school tuitions.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:24 pm

Rotor wrote:Not sure what case this article is referring to. Sounds all the world like Kashmiri v. Regents which has already been decided, payments begun to the plaintiff class members and have been charged or accounted for in the already announced increases.

It does sound like Kashmiri, but this is a different case: Luquetta v. Regents. In the introduction of the opinion, the court notes the similarity between the two cases. But they're different cases, and the $38 million that UC has been ordered to pay is in addition to the $33 million at issue in Kashmiri. Here's a pdf of the opinion, if you're interested:

http://chronicle.com/items/biz/pdf/uc_professional_fees_ruling.pdf

If it's a different case, I think it would be hard to pass on additional increases since we are already pushing the limits of private school tuitions.

Agreed. Which means that they'd have to cut services (financial aid, faculty hires, LRAP) instead. It's not good news.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:36 pm

Dignan wrote:Agreed. Which means that they'd have to cut services (financial aid, faculty hires, LRAP) instead. It's not good news.

Eeek.

Didn't mean to suggest it was "good" news. I just hadn't heard of another case. I haven't yet had time to follow your link, but it will be interesting to see why these folks are not included in the Kashmiri class-action certification.

At least it's spread across the UC system. If they prorate impacts to the particular schools, at least Boalt's small class size might minimize the impact.

Still like you say, not good news.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:26 pm

Anybody get any scholly love or anything from Boalt? I'm guessing the whole being in large amounts of debt thing might hinder that.

sfdreaming09

Postby sfdreaming09 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:13 pm

Yeah when do scholarships come out? Or have they already begun?

dudester

Postby dudester » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:06 pm

Have you people browsed through the admitted students website?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:12 pm

dudester wrote:Have you people browsed through the admitted students website?

Now, THAT is what I call a cryptic question.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:10 pm

crackberry wrote:

No, he was just responding to the people asking about scholarships. It's pretty clear on the website that "scholarship decisions will not come out until April 5-9 at the earliest."

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:25 pm

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:

No, he was just responding to the people asking about scholarships. It's pretty clear on the website that "scholarship decisions will not come out until April 5-9 at the earliest."

Damn you.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:29 pm

Kronk - see here for what you've missed the last few days:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=111997

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:45 pm

crackberry wrote:Kronk - see here for what you've missed the last few days:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=111997

LOL. Can't express how much I hope that is true.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:46 pm

Also, I tentatively committed to Berkeley.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:53 pm

Kronk wrote:Also, I tentatively committed to Berkeley.

Really? Your mood swings are making me seasick. Long, hard talk with the SO?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:54 pm

crackberry wrote:

Nah. More of a long, hard talk with Chicago in the winter and California in the Spring.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:03 pm

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Nah. More of a long, hard talk with Chicago in the winter and California in the Spring.

Fair enough. So by "tentatively committed," do you mean you told Berkeley you were gonna go in their weird "reserve a seat" thing, or that's the way you're leaning?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:04 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Fair enough. So by "tentatively committed," do you mean you told Berkeley you were gonna go in their weird "reserve a seat" thing, or that's the way you're leaning?

No, I actually hit the "tentatively commit" option on their website. The real deadline is June 1st, and it makes you withdraw all applications unfortunately so I hope I am not riding any waitlists at Yale or Stanford that I have to give up.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:06 pm

Kronk wrote:No, I actually hit the "tentatively commit" option on their website. The real deadline is June 1st, and it makes you withdraw all applications unfortunately so I hope I am not riding any waitlists at Yale or Stanford that I have to give up.

Wow, so if on June 1 you commit to Berkeley, you have to withdraw from WLs?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:07 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:No, I actually hit the "tentatively commit" option on their website. The real deadline is June 1st, and it makes you withdraw all applications unfortunately so I hope I am not riding any waitlists at Yale or Stanford that I have to give up.

Wow, so if on June 1 you commit to Berkeley, you have to withdraw from WLs?

Yep. Pretty lame, huh? Especially considering I think I'll be on three (but only two that I would stay on).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”