Harvard JR1 but no JR2 (yet?) Club

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Core

Re: Harvard JR1 but no JR2 (yet?) Club

Postby Core » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:20 pm

mozhou7 wrote:Held...

Submitted - Mid Oct
Jr1 - Early Nov
3.9+ & 170/174 (dec retake)

Core, anything for you?

Sorry to hear that.
Nothing for me yet. I'll update this thread if/when I hear anything (judging by my stats and lack of a JR2, I'll be hearing something soon).

mozhou7

Postby mozhou7 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:25 pm

dudester wrote:

Submitted - Mid Oct
Jr1 - Early Nov

Core, anything for you?

You're still in the fight, though. Exactly when was your JR1?

Nov 3rd...I was really hoping that my retake will strenghen my file...I guess it just might not be enough.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:28 pm

And then there were like 2 or 3.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:31 pm

mozhou7 wrote:
dudester wrote:

Submitted - Mid Oct
Jr1 - Early Nov

Core, anything for you?

You're still in the fight, though. Exactly when was your JR1?

Nov 3rd...I was really hoping that my retake will strenghen my file...I guess it just might not be enough.

I don't know about that. They recently got your retake so they may want to take more time to think about you because of it.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:38 pm

georgina wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
georgina wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:everyone in this club.....what do you think is the most likely reason you're in purgatory?

my gpa. it's seriously trashy.

people seem to say calls might go out today. best of luck to all of us.

below 3.65?

what is the lowest gpa to get a JR1 so far?

yes, below. i don't think i can say much more, since i'm probably like one of 5 of such low gpa's to get JR1.

as for the lowest gpa, there was mention of a 3.4 in the harvard main thread, and there was this one guy i saw before on TLS, i think go4hls or something, who according to his profile had a 3.5 and got a JR2 this cycle.

3.5 getting a JR2.... already... too good to believe.
So as a veteran carmen sandiego gumshoe detective, I checked this go4hls figure out. He got a JR1 (no JR2) and though his profile lists gpa as 3.5, in his previous comments he listed his numbers as 172/4.0.
Last edited by of Benito Cereno on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

citydweller09

Postby citydweller09 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:43 pm

Well, uh, I guess the time has officially come for me to join this thread. Submitted late October, JR1 just before Christmas. A batch of JR2s went out today, appears to have tapered off, and my phone never rang.

I eagerly anticipate my "hold" email, followed by a waitlisting and/or rejection.

Core

Postby Core » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:55 pm

citydweller09 wrote:Well, uh, I guess the time has officially come for me to join this thread. Submitted late October, JR1 just before Christmas. A batch of JR2s went out today, appears to have tapered off, and my phone never rang.

I eagerly anticipate my "hold" email, followed by a waitlisting and/or rejection.

They are still being sent out.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:57 pm

What's the lowest lsat HLS has taken from a non-URM?

Core

Postby Core » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:00 pm

fidesverita wrote:What's the lowest lsat HLS has taken from a non-URM?

168 - international applicant with a 4.1 GPA majoring in engineering.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:02 pm

I know of a 167, 4.1 from HYPS who is half-URM who got in on 11/23.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:13 pm

I am a hopeful for a JR1... JR2 is way out there at this point. But I want to know: is there "prep" to be done for a JR1? I would think not, but I've read a couple law admissions books saying to know all the recent Economist issues, etc. etc. :oops:

georgina

Postby georgina » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:26 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:3.5 getting a JR2.... already... too good to believe.
So as a veteran carmen sandiego gumshoe detective, I checked this go4hls figure out. He got a JR1 (no JR2) and though his profile lists gpa as 3.5, in his previous comments he listed his numbers as 172/4.0.

hmm.. after some research of my own,
he did get in, please see here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=85858&p=2236851#p2236851
by 172/4.0 i think you were referring to viewtopic.php?f=7&t=85858&p=2178643#p2178643 but the numbers are from a different poster

i mean, this doesn't validate what i said earlier, but... it's possible.

are you in the JR1, no JR2 club?

drsomebody

Postby drsomebody » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:26 pm

"saying to know all the recent Economist issues"

The JR1 comes in the form of a series of pointed questions about contemporary issues. For example, one candidate last week was asked about the recent unrest in xinjiang and its impacts on the international phosphate commodities market. Apparently she couldn't answer the question and broke down crying on the phone. Harvard denied her admission on the spot.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:29 pm

drsomebody wrote:"saying to know all the recent Economist issues"

The JR1 comes in the form of a series of pointed questions about contemporary issues. For example, one candidate last week was asked about the recent unrest in xinjiang and its impacts on the international phosphate commodities market. Apparently she couldn't answer the question and broke down crying on the phone. Harvard denied her admission on the spot.

Is this for real? :shock:

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:29 pm

CordeliusX wrote:

Is this for real? :shock:

Haha of course not.

You don't need to know anything out of the ordinary. There are no trick questions. Then again, I got a JR1 but no JR2 so maybe I'm not the person to trust.

Kong456

Postby Kong456 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:30 pm

LOL.

I actually read Ely's "Democracy and Distrust" to prep for the JR1. A great read, but a total waste of time as far as the interview was concerned. He just asked "why law?" and "why Harvard?"

Having said that, I would prepare and maybe rehearse answers to those two questions. I didn't, and stumbled a bit - wasn't happy afterwards.

Having said THAT, I doubt the interview matters much unless you have borderline numbers.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:37 pm

georgina wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:3.5 getting a JR2.... already... too good to believe.

hmm.. after some research of my own,
he did get in, please see here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=85858&p=2236851#p2236851
by 172/4.0 i think you were referring to viewtopic.php?f=7&t=85858&p=2178643#p2178643 but the numbers are from a different poster

i mean, this doesn't validate what i said earlier, but... it's possible.

are you in the JR1, no JR2 club?

Ok so I guess I've been away from the beat for too long.
No JR1 yet. Complete early december but think my gpa (3.6) is too low. That was why I was checking in with you JR1 people. just curious how many sub 3.7 people have had JR1s.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:42 pm

crackberry wrote:

I know of a 167, 4.1 from HYPS who is half-URM who got in on 11/23.

Yeah I looked on LSN for last year's stats.... looks like the lowest lsat for non-urm was 161, but I have the feeling is URM and just didn't list it. Otherwise it looks like a 168/169 is the lowest.

pinkhearts

Postby pinkhearts » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:06 pm

i apologize for my ignorance, i've been through this thread and waded through several pages of the harvard proper thread.

do only people who get a phone call get in? I presume that is what these JR's are? i missed the part where the jargon and the norms was established. thank you for helping me!

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:10 pm

pinkhearts wrote:i apologize for my ignorance, i've been through this thread and waded through several pages of the harvard proper thread.

do only people who get a phone call get in? I presume that is what these JR's are? i missed the part where the jargon and the norms was established. thank you for helping me!

Harvard Admissions in a Nutshell

1. You send in app.
2. They tell you they got your app.
3. You get a status checker.
4. You go Under Review.
4. You get, in some order, a complete email and an email scheduling a phone interview (a JR1).
5. You get called at a certain time to interview.
6. You wait.
7. You either get a phone call (JR2) which means you're in, you get an email saying you've been rejected or waitlisted, or you wait.
8. If you waited at (7), you continue to wait.
9. If you waited at (8), you either get a hold email and return to (6), or you are Crackberry.
10. If you are Crackberry, you put in your deposit at SLS because you realize Harvard is never going to contact you.

HTH.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:20 pm

GeePee wrote:Harvard Admissions in a Nutshell

1. You send in app.
4. You go Under Review.
4. You get, in some order, a complete email and an email scheduling a phone interview (a JR1).
6. You wait.
7. You either get a phone call (JR2) which means you're in, you get an email saying you've been rejected or waitlisted, or you wait.
9. If you waited at (8), you either get a hold email and return to (6), or you are Crackberry.
10. If you are Crackberry, you put in your deposit at SLS because you realize Harvard is never going to contact you.

HTH.

:mrgreen: :( :oops:

pinkhearts

Postby pinkhearts » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:22 pm

thank you so much! so my no email to set up a phone number self needs to find a new dream i suppose. good to know.

georgina

Postby georgina » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:24 pm

crackberry wrote:
GeePee wrote:9. If you waited at (8), you either get a hold email and return to (6), or you are Crackberry.

HTH.

haha, i really wonder why hls is doing this to you. well, when i get my waitlist letter and yours is mistakenly glued to the back of mine, i'll let you know what your status is.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:27 pm

georgina wrote:
crackberry wrote:
GeePee wrote:9. If you waited at (8), you either get a hold email and return to (6), or you are Crackberry.

HTH.

haha, i really wonder why hls is doing this to you. well, when i get my waitlist letter and yours is mistakenly glued to the back of mine, i'll let you know what your status is.

Much appreciated.

lz06

Postby lz06 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:43 pm

GeePee wrote:
pinkhearts wrote:i apologize for my ignorance, i've been through this thread and waded through several pages of the harvard proper thread.

Harvard Admissions in a Nutshell

1. You send in app.
4. You go Under Review.
6. You wait.

HTH.

lol poor Crack.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”