Harvard JR1 but no JR2 (yet?) Club

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BaiAilian2013

Re: Harvard JR1 but no JR2 (yet?) Club

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:04 pm

I think for me it might be the opposite of the aforementioned pattern (interesting story, borderline numbers). While my GPA is not stellar, it plus my LSAT does put me just over the border into the solid green for every year recorded on LSN. I'm guessing, then, that I got a JR1 on the basis of my LSAT and interesting-sounding softs, but that JR cooled off after he realized that I'm actually rather boring.

aussie3b

Postby aussie3b » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:29 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:I think for me it might be the opposite of the aforementioned pattern (interesting story, borderline numbers). While my GPA is not stellar, it plus my LSAT does put me just over the border into the solid green for every year recorded on LSN. I'm guessing, then, that I got a JR1 on the basis of my LSAT and interesting-sounding softs, but that JR cooled off after he realized that I'm actually rather boring.

I'm likely in a similar situation. Decent LSAT unremarkable/borderline GPA but very good softs. I'm guessing they're waiting to see what other applicants they get with similar stats/softs. I'm also pretty sure I didn't do a very good "why law school" sell given that I have been working in another industry for nearly 4 years.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:00 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:I think for me it might be the opposite of the aforementioned pattern (interesting story, borderline numbers). While my GPA is not stellar, it plus my LSAT does put me just over the border into the solid green for every year recorded on LSN. I'm guessing, then, that I got a JR1 on the basis of my LSAT and interesting-sounding softs, but that JR cooled off after he realized that I'm actually rather boring.

I wouldn't read too much into it. How much can anyone really learn from a 5 to 10 minute phone call? Median GPAs are going up at other schools and I think Harvard doesn't want to be left behind.

Rmosk

Postby Rmosk » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:56 am

You guys are a great bunch but I heard the " In at Harvard" thread peeps are just so much more fun. Waitin for some JR2 love today.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:18 pm

Survey: has anyone here been nominated for the Mordecai?

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:18 pm

msoftceo wrote:

I wouldn't read too much into it. How much can anyone really learn from a 5 to 10 minute phone call? Median GPAs are going up at other schools and I think Harvard doesn't want to be left behind.

You are probably right. Durn GPA.

I'm curious... who had the earliest JR1 here? The earliest one I see listed is mozhou on 11/3. Mine was 11/6.

psychomohel

Postby psychomohel » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:28 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:I'm curious... who had the earliest JR1 here? The earliest one I see listed is mozhou on 11/3. Mine was 11/6.

Mine was 11/3.

I sometimes dread posting on here assuming that people with a JR2 read this thread and laugh derisively at their screen.

sayan

Postby sayan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:33 pm

How quickly did you guys go UR to JR1 email?

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:39 pm

I feel kind of naive here, but what is a JR1 and JR2?

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:51 pm

democrattotheend wrote:I feel kind of naive here, but what is a JR1 and JR2?

JR1 = interview phone call
JR2 = "congrats your admitted" phone call

both by dean

Core

Postby Core » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:02 am

somewhatwayward wrote:everyone in this club.....what do you think is the most likely reason you're in purgatory?

My LSAT score.

georgina

Postby georgina » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:46 am

somewhatwayward wrote:everyone in this club.....what do you think is the most likely reason you're in purgatory?

my gpa. it's seriously trashy.

people seem to say calls might go out today. best of luck to all of us.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:26 pm

psychomohel wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:I'm curious... who had the earliest JR1 here? The earliest one I see listed is mozhou on 11/3. Mine was 11/6.

Mine was 11/3.

Mine was also 11/3.

psychomohel

Postby psychomohel » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:31 pm

Got an email telling me I'm being held today. Guess that is like waitlist+.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:59 pm

psychomohel wrote:Got an email telling me I'm being held today. Guess that is like waitlist+.

Hmm strange. I did not get that email and had my JR1 on the same day (11/3). Submitted 9/15.

Probably means nothing, but who knows.

lz06, baiailan, gargamelITT, other very early JR1s (pre 11/15) - did you get "held" emails today?

georgina

Postby georgina » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:06 pm

crackberry wrote:
psychomohel wrote:Got an email telling me I'm being held today. Guess that is like waitlist+.

Hmm strange. I did not get that email and had my JR1 on the same day (11/3). Submitted 9/15.

Probably means nothing, but who knows.

lz06, baiailan, gargamelITT, other very early JR1s (pre 11/15) - did you get "held" emails today?

i got the hold email, like psychomohel. consensus on the harvard main thread is that all who have gotten hold emails submitted in sept/oct, and i am in that group. my jr1 was 11/30.

OY, off to write a letter begging my way into hls...

maybe this is good news for crack and the other earlies?

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:08 pm

I did not get one. I swear they do this stuff just to screw with us.

Edited for typo.

lz06

Postby lz06 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:19 pm

No held e-mail for me.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:I swear they do this stuff just to screw with us.

It sure feels that way sometimes.

Core

Postby Core » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:29 pm

Is it the consensus that being "held" is Harvard's form of a waitlist?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Core wrote:Is it the consensus that being "held" is Harvard's form of a waitlist?

No, they definitely have a conventional waitlist. It seems to me that "held" is their way of not providing you with a decision in their allotted 12 weeks (or whatever). Did you get held today Core?

Core

Postby Core » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:41 pm

crackberry wrote:
Core wrote:Is it the consensus that being "held" is Harvard's form of a waitlist?

No, they definitely have a conventional waitlist. It seems to me that "held" is their way of not providing you with a decision in their allotted 12 weeks (or whatever). Did you get held today Core?

Thanks. I didn't receive a hold e-mail. I don't know what to make of that.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:45 pm

Core wrote:
crackberry wrote:

I'm pretty sure it means we'll be getting our decisions soon (maybe by the end of next week?) and nothing more. From what I can tell, of the people who had JR1s pre-Thanksgiving, they've held some (georgina, psychomohel) and not others (me, you, lz06, baiailan, among others). I can't discern any sort of meaningful pattern.

Core

Postby Core » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:04 pm

crackberry wrote:
Core wrote:
crackberry wrote:

I'm pretty sure it means we'll be getting our decisions soon (maybe by the end of next week?) and nothing more. From what I can tell, of the people who had JR1s pre-Thanksgiving, they've held some (georgina, psychomohel) and not others (me, you, lz06, baiailan, among others). I can't discern any sort of meaningful pattern.

Ok. It also appears that they don't begin waitlisting people until April and rejecting until March, according to LSN, so maybe this is a good sign. Hopefully more hold e-mails are not sent out tomorrow.

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:18 pm

Core wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Core wrote:
crackberry wrote:No, they definitely have a conventional waitlist. It seems to me that "held" is their way of not providing you with a decision in their allotted 12 weeks (or whatever). Did you get held today Core?

Ok. It also appears that they don't begin waitlisting people until April and rejecting until March, according to LSN, so maybe this is a good sign. Hopefully more hold e-mails are not sent out tomorrow.

Yeah, but didn't KB tell someone around here that they would be waitlisting and rejecting a lot earlier this year since it was such a mistake to put that off last cycle? Sorry, I know I don't belong in this thread...

*scurries off to rejoin JR1-less applicants*

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”