Northeastern 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby AlanShore » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:16 pm

Zannie1986 wrote:Hi friends,
I'm also in your waiting boat. I'm a little above the GPA median, at the 75% for LSAT score..feeling pretty optimistic. I'm from NY so I kind of thought it'd come earlier in the week than say..Texas. But after that admissions fib, who can say! :)
While we're waiting here, Boston natives or Boston-savvy people, can you recommend some cheap but good parts of Boston to move to? When I'm not lurking on this site, I like to scout out future apartments, but there are so many little neighborhoods on the Boston map on apartments.com that I don't know which are the safe ones (if that's a big issue?) slash ones close to the school, cool areas, etc. Tips?

hey Zannie. whats cheap for you? i live in cambridge and some areas (towards harvard) are expensive but others, east cambridge, for example, are not as expensive. but then again.. i dont know what you mean by cheap.

I'm not as familiar with the areas right around Northeastern but i'd say these are some good and reasonably close neighborhoods to northeastern:
(but i'm a ny native so 30 min on the T is close in my mind)
cambridge
some parts of somerville
brookline
Boston University area
south end (gets pricey i think)
beacon hill/newbury (pricey!! but beautiful

PM me if you want more details!!

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby AlanShore » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:17 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
bits6884 wrote:I live in South Boston. I received my letter today.

First acceptance of the cycle. Submitted by application December 2nd. I went complete on December 3rd. My decision letter went out on December 7th.

164/3.3

I received a $25,000 scholarship to be spread over the course of the three years.


Congrats! And I heard that they are a little tight-fisted with their scholarships, so it must be exciting to be offered some dough!

yess i think they offer that 25k (for 3 yrs) to a lot of people but thats the max amount unfortunately. :(

bits6884
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby bits6884 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:20 pm

AlanShore wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
bits6884 wrote:I live in South Boston. I received my letter today.

First acceptance of the cycle. Submitted by application December 2nd. I went complete on December 3rd. My decision letter went out on December 7th.

164/3.3

I received a $25,000 scholarship to be spread over the course of the three years.


Congrats! And I heard that they are a little tight-fisted with their scholarships, so it must be exciting to be offered some dough!

yess i think they offer that 25k (for 3 yrs) to a lot of people but thats the max amount unfortunately. :(



I'm grateful for any amount of money offered, but my only hesitation is that if you calculate expenses with their budget, you are looking at almost $55k a year. With my scholarship, I'm still looking at almost $150k in loans. Having lived in Boston all of my life, I know just how expensive it is to live here and I'm not sure how willing I am to incur such a large amount of debt.

For now, it's money and an offer which is great!

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby AlanShore » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:24 pm

bits6884 wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
bits6884 wrote:I live in South Boston. I received my letter today.

First acceptance of the cycle. Submitted by application December 2nd. I went complete on December 3rd. My decision letter went out on December 7th.

164/3.3

I received a $25,000 scholarship to be spread over the course of the three years.


Congrats! And I heard that they are a little tight-fisted with their scholarships, so it must be exciting to be offered some dough!

yess i think they offer that 25k (for 3 yrs) to a lot of people but thats the max amount unfortunately. :(



I'm grateful for any amount of money offered, but my only hesitation is that if you calculate expenses with their budget, you are looking at almost $55k a year. With my scholarship, I'm still looking at almost $150k in loans. Having lived in Boston all of my life, I know just how expensive it is to live here and I'm not sure how willing I am to incur such a large amount of debt.

For now, it's money and an offer which is great!

i feel you, bits. NU has a good reputation in boston but for me, not good enough (esp ite) to take out 150k..

eh but congrats! it always feels good to have another choice.

User avatar
jaskat
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby jaskat » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:13 pm

The main victory here is that so far this batch seems to be acceptances... hopefully no rejections.

Congrats on the money! That's great!

How long do out of state people have to wait for letters normally? Tomorrow? By Friday? Any guesses?

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby AlanShore » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:26 pm

any EAers status NOT change? ..?

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:42 pm

AlanShore wrote:any EAers status NOT change? ..?


Just to clarify: It's not a status change- all of our statuses still say "complete file". If you have a decision, it will say "Decision Letter Mailed" in the "Mailings" section of the status checker.

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby AlanShore » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:45 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
AlanShore wrote:any EAers status NOT change? ..?


Just to clarify: It's not a status change- all of our statuses still say "complete file". If you have a decision, it will say "Decision Letter Mailed" in the "Mailings" section of the status checker.

Mailings
Mail Description Mailing Date
Application Received 11/16/2009
File Complete 11/16/2009


thats it. i will continue waiting!

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:50 pm

AlanShore wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
AlanShore wrote:any EAers status NOT change? ..?


Just to clarify: It's not a status change- all of our statuses still say "complete file". If you have a decision, it will say "Decision Letter Mailed" in the "Mailings" section of the status checker.

Mailings
Mail Description Mailing Date
Application Received 11/16/2009
File Complete 11/16/2009


thats it. i will continue waiting!


Like I said, I'm sure they're just organizing the piles of money they plan to offer you. :)

NYVA311
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby NYVA311 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:56 pm

I applied EA and am still waiting for a decision. Splitter 25% LSAT/75% GPA which should hopefully lead to an acceptance but it's up in the air. I'm hoping by applying EA I have a slight boost.

Drockman
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby Drockman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:58 pm

jaskat wrote:The main victory here is that so far this batch seems to be acceptances... hopefully no rejections.

Congrats on the money! That's great!

How long do out of state people have to wait for letters normally? Tomorrow? By Friday? Any guesses?


I am in Georgia, and just checked my mail and nothing there but coupons for Express and Papa Johns. I am hoping to get something in the mail by friday at the latest.

LoveSaltLife
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:32 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby LoveSaltLife » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:09 pm

AlanShore wrote:any EAers status NOT change? ..?


Right here. No change since 10/15. But then again by numbers are below their medians (158/3.56).

acecrusher06
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:27 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby acecrusher06 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:35 pm

IN!

User avatar
GobiasIndustries
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:56 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby GobiasIndustries » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:12 pm

In as well :) First one of the cycle! Feels good!

Note to the neurotic: mine came in a regular letter-sized (read: WL/reject-size) envelope. Don't worry; it's good news.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:07 pm

Thanks for updating us, guys! I will be standing in the snow tomorrow, waiting for the mail. :)

champ33
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby champ33 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi.. been lurking around here for a while so I joined.

My status changed to "Decision Letter Mailed" today... hoping that it's good news. Good luck to everybody !

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:02 pm

champ33 wrote:Hi.. been lurking around here for a while so I joined.

My status changed to "Decision Letter Mailed" today... hoping that it's good news. Good luck to everybody !


Hi champ! I hope your letter has some good news in it too. Good luck!

User avatar
jaskat
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby jaskat » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:15 pm

acecrusher06 wrote:IN!

Are you and GobiasIndustries both in Boston, MA?

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:17 pm

jaskat wrote:
acecrusher06 wrote:IN!

Are you and GobiasIndustries both in Boston, MA?


Yeah they both are. (I searched their post histories for "boston")

P.S. Sorry I seem to be post-hogging this thread. I am just sort of excited about NU so I have been watching it like a hawk. I'll calm down and let some other people talk. :D

User avatar
GobiasIndustries
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:56 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby GobiasIndustries » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:16 am

Burger in a can wrote:
jaskat wrote:
acecrusher06 wrote:IN!

Are you and GobiasIndustries both in Boston, MA?


Yeah they both are. (I searched their post histories for "boston")

P.S. Sorry I seem to be post-hogging this thread. I am just sort of excited about NU so I have been watching it like a hawk. I'll calm down and let some other people talk. :D


Yeah, I think everyone that's gotten their letters so far is in Boston (I could be wrong...), but that means that they put them in the mail on Tuesday at the latest. So everyone else should be hearing really soon :)

User avatar
jaskat
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby jaskat » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:22 am

The wait is slowly killing me. I can't even escape it in my dreams! I had a dream I was in a law class at NEU... :shock:
It should not be taking this long for a letter to go from Boston to NYC!!!!! ...If I don't post anymore, I've died of over-dreaming about acceptance letters and law school.

User avatar
oberlin08
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:37 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby oberlin08 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:24 am

AlanShore wrote:any EAers status NOT change? ..?



Mine didnt change either. But I am also below their medians.

User avatar
jaskat
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby jaskat » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:09 am

so day two of the letter watch. And... GO!

So far nothing for me but sometimes mail comes towards 11 AM

User avatar
oberlin08
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:37 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby oberlin08 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:35 am

oberlin08 wrote:
AlanShore wrote:any EAers status NOT change? ..?



Mine didnt change either. But I am also below their medians.



I just noticed that my 'Current Status Date' changed to 12/7/09 :shock:

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Northeastern

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:44 am

oberlin08 wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:
AlanShore wrote:any EAers status NOT change? ..?



Mine didnt change either. But I am also below their medians.



I just noticed that my 'Current Status Date' changed to 12/7/09 :shock:


But your status didn't change?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative, lg77, playersball, tinafeyclone and 12 guests