International/Currently Abroad "IWantMyDecision!" Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Luis Gomez

Re: International/Currently Abroad "IWantMyDecision!" Thread

Postby Luis Gomez » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:23 pm

Moba wrote:In at Georgetown, RD, they sent the letter by FEDEX on Dec. 21

Congrats "Moba". I like that school a lot more than UT. I got admitted to Georgetown's LLM program last year and the law school as a whole seemed fantastic. I didn't attend, as you already know, but I visited and really liked it.

Maybe they have too many students but that makes social life and networking very interesting.

Congratulations.

spacegarden

Postby spacegarden » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:38 am

For those of you who submitted your apps while abroad, did you have any trouble accessing/using the features on LSAC at all? I'm going to be submitting my apps while in Thailand, and I just want to make sure it's a smooth process... part of me is saying, "Well, duh, it's all the same. How do you think int'l students apply?" But I'm just paranoid. I don't want to land in Bangkok and find out the application features aren't working because of the internet, etc. I don't know why it wouldn't work... but... idk.

lifeaway1985

Postby lifeaway1985 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:51 am

I WANT MY DECISION!

Unadilla Kayaker

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:58 am

spacegarden wrote:For those of you who submitted your apps while abroad, did you have any trouble accessing/using the features on LSAC at all? I'm going to be submitting my apps while in Thailand, and I just want to make sure it's a smooth process... part of me is saying, "Well, duh, it's all the same. How do you think int'l students apply?" But I'm just paranoid. I don't want to land in Bangkok and find out the application features aren't working because of the internet, etc. I don't know why it wouldn't work... but... idk.

TITCR.

Answering from Asia, where I have done each step of my process beginning with the LSAT. Seventeen smooth submissions from LSAC and six acceptances so far.

eyedeekay

Postby eyedeekay » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:45 pm

spacegarden wrote:For those of you who submitted your apps while abroad, did you have any trouble accessing/using the features on LSAC at all? I'm going to be submitting my apps while in Thailand, and I just want to make sure it's a smooth process... part of me is saying, "Well, duh, it's all the same. How do you think int'l students apply?" But I'm just paranoid. I don't want to land in Bangkok and find out the application features aren't working because of the internet, etc. I don't know why it wouldn't work... but... idk.

You shouldn't have any problems applying from Thailand. I applied from mainland China, home of the great firewall, and didn't have any issues.

Moba

Postby Moba » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:24 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:
Moba wrote:In at Georgetown, RD, they sent the letter by FEDEX on Dec. 21

Congrats "Moba". I like that school a lot more than UT. I got admitted to Georgetown's LLM program last year and the law school as a whole seemed fantastic. I didn't attend, as you already know, but I visited and really liked it.

Maybe they have too many students but that makes social life and networking very interesting.

Congratulations.

Thanks Luis. Also in at NYU the letter took like 2 weeks to reach me. Any news regarding Chicago?

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:33 pm

Congrats on your purple envelope. For me NYU is more appealing than Georgetown and definitely better option than UT.

No word on Chicago yet. Chicago is my super reach and will likely halt my positive streak.

beepermad

Postby beepermad » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:36 pm

Waiting impatiently in London here...not nearly as remote as East Asia, but that's a big pond for my letters to swim over. Oi.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:54 am

Vandy admit package, which is pretty epic and I wish I weren't at work so I could read all 2.5 inches thick of it, took a month to reach me here in southern Africa (though I actually think it arrived last week, but my office was closed). Normal USPS priority mail.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:16 pm

Wisc by email. All reg mail is going home still.

ToadGoDead

Postby ToadGoDead » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:37 am

hey where are you in thailand ? im in koh tao right now

parker09

Postby parker09 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:00 am

FINALLY got the BU admit packet (got the acceptance email on 12/10, in lieu of the usual acceptance phone call that they apparnetly don't do overseas). nice little handwritten note on the acceptance letter.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:15 am

I, too, am living abroad and stupidly put my address here down as my current address instead of my mom's back in the states. Plus I live at a school and can only get my mail a few times a week because I have to ask the school secretary for it. Grr.

Also, what really frustrated me about applying were the applications that made you list a state (2 letter abbreviation) but didn't give any space to list a country. Jerks.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:52 pm

I am happy Wake contacted me through e-mail. I finally got the scholarship and its's allmost enough for me to be able to atend.

In other news, I got a ski cap or hat of sorts from STU AND I got to meet my mailman. (he is so cute, very young but apparentley not very honest). He is under ethics inverstigation and not allowed to deliver any package containig anything other than documents. So I now have to go to the post office all the time. This is very frustrating, even if the girls at the desk are super nice and quite good looking.

Oh well, whatever it takes to get envelopes full of good news .

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:22 am

Luis Gomez wrote:In other news, I got a ski cap or hat of sorts from STU AND I got to meet my mailman. (he is so cute, very young but apparentley not very honest). He is under ethics inverstigation and not allowed to deliver any package containig anything other than documents. So I now have to go to the post office all the time. This is very frustrating, even if the girls at the desk are super nice and quite good looking.

That made me laugh out loud, literally.

Also, in at UChicago. No phone call, just the email and status checker (they definitely call non-abroad people first though, and then they get the email a few hours later). submitted mid-Oct, UR sometime in november --> 12/29 --> 1/12.

Saya

Postby Saya » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:11 am

parker09 wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:In other news, I got a ski cap or hat of sorts from STU AND I got to meet my mailman. (he is so cute, very young but apparentley not very honest). He is under ethics inverstigation and not allowed to deliver any package containig anything other than documents. So I now have to go to the post office all the time. This is very frustrating, even if the girls at the desk are super nice and quite good looking.

That made me laugh out loud, literally.

Also, in at UChicago. No phone call, just the email and status checker (they definitely call non-abroad people first though, and then they get the email a few hours later). submitted mid-Oct, UR sometime in november --> 12/29 --> 1/12.
CONGRATS!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unadilla Kayaker

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:40 am

So I think I have the winner for the lousiest acceptance notification.

On December 16th Indiana decided that I was good enough to accept into Maurer with a $45,000 scholarship over three years. Seeing I was abroad they put my acceptance in a priority mail envelope, paid the USPS $12.95 and sent it so I could have some happy news before the new year (so I suppose).

Postmarked 12/17 I just got the very nice package today (1/15). So it took almost a month using priority mail! Pretty shocking. I'm in Taiwan and usually mail from the US is pretty good (because they don't have the slow boat to China anymore though they do have the slow boat to the US from Taiwan). I don't know where the holdup was but something was off.

So, if anyone else has applied to IUB don't fret if you haven't received an acceptance and others have. It's probably stuck in a USPS bag somewhere in Indiana or something.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm extremely excited about this acceptance. Say what you want about the rankings jump, but IUB is definitely a school I wanted to get into.

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:47 am

Hey all, I'm in Japan and completely understand your feelings. Especially since if I do want to contact any admissions offices I have to do it between midnight and 7am. It's really annoying. So far

Cornell EA: Received e-mail acceptance 12/15, and packet in the mail 2 weeks later.

Michigan RD: Received UPS accpetance package 1/12, postmarked only 6 days before.

CLS: Received deferral letter 3 weeks after (~1/5) they scanned and e-mailed it to me on 12/14

As for the schools that typically call first, Berkeley, Penn, etc I am most terrified about these. I just don't know what to expect/do.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:55 am

def2104 wrote:Hey all, I'm in Japan and completely understand your feelings. Especially since if I do want to contact any admissions offices I have to do it between midnight and 7am. It's really annoying. So far

Cornell EA: Received e-mail acceptance 12/15, and packet in the mail 2 weeks later.

Michigan RD: Received UPS accpetance package 1/12, postmarked only 6 days before.

CLS: Received deferral letter 3 weeks after (~1/5) they scanned and e-mailed it to me on 12/14

As for the schools that typically call first, Berkeley, Penn, etc I am most terrified about these. I just don't know what to expect/do.

Michigan definitely wins for "mailing stuff on time" cause they use a courier-ed service (I forget if it's UPS or DHL or Fedex, but it's one of that type). Georgetown did that too and it took under a week, but I'm not giving it the first prize cause they only sent a little envelope, not an actual packet.

Duke and Vandy and BU all took 4-5 weeks to arrive for me... (I'm in Africa, so 3-5 weeks is pretty typical)

I know somewhere I read that Dean Tom doesn't do international phone calls, but I think Berkeley will send a follow-up email and status checker will say the decision. I was waitlisted to Penn via email, but I also thiiiiiiiink they'll send an email and status checker will show the decision for all decisions? I think most calling-first schools will send an email or something. The non-calling-first schools (Michigan, Vandy) will... make you wait 3-5 weeks for the unknown-decision mailing.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:10 pm

parker09 wrote:
def2104 wrote:Hey all, I'm in Japan and completely understand your feelings. Especially since if I do want to contact any admissions offices I have to do it between midnight and 7am. It's really annoying. So far

Michigan definitely wins for "mailing stuff on time" cause they use a courier-ed service (I forget if it's UPS or DHL or Fedex, but it's one of that type). Georgetown did that too and it took under a week, but I'm not giving it the first prize cause they only sent a little envelope, not an actual packet.

Duke and Vandy and BU all took 4-5 weeks to arrive for me... (I'm in Africa, so 3-5 weeks is pretty typical)

I know somewhere I read that Dean Tom doesn't do international phone calls, but I think Berkeley will send a follow-up email and status checker will say the decision. I was waitlisted to Penn via email, but I also thiiiiiiiink they'll send an email and status checker will show the decision for all decisions? I think most calling-first schools will send an email or something. The non-calling-first schools (Michigan, Vandy) will... make you wait 3-5 weeks for the unknown-decision mailing.

Wicked

Moba

Postby Moba » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:29 pm

Conditionally accepted at BU (received the email last week - friday) my application must be cleared by its International Scholars Office.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:36 pm

In at UIUC with a very generous scholarship. Dean Pless, a fellow TLSer has admissions running very smoothly there and informs everyone immediately by e-mail. :D

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:43 am

parker09 wrote:

Really? My michigan this was a binder complete with a history book and UMich flash drive. I definitely didn't get any letter before that...hmm...

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:45 am

Oh Also, I got the Cornell admitted student handbook yesterday. Awesome cloth bound and sent via UPS (almost $20 on shipping...I was impressed) Customs tore off the Cornell seal and looked inside leaving the shiny seal and white box not looking so good (less impressed) thanks Japan.

Moba

Postby Moba » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:04 pm

On hold at HLS - email sent this morning

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”