International/Currently Abroad "IWantMyDecision!" Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
parker09

Bronze

Re: International/Currently Abroad "IWantMyDecision!" Thread

Post by parker09 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:11 pm

def2104 wrote:
parker09 wrote:
def2104 wrote:Hey all, I'm in Japan and completely understand your feelings. Especially since if I do want to contact any admissions offices I have to do it between midnight and 7am. It's really annoying. So far

Cornell EA: Received e-mail acceptance 12/15, and packet in the mail 2 weeks later.

Michigan RD: Received UPS accpetance package 1/12, postmarked only 6 days before.

CLS: Received deferral letter 3 weeks after (~1/5) they scanned and e-mailed it to me on 12/14

As for the schools that typically call first, Berkeley, Penn, etc I am most terrified about these. I just don't know what to expect/do.
Michigan definitely wins for "mailing stuff on time" cause they use a courier-ed service (I forget if it's UPS or DHL or Fedex, but it's one of that type). Georgetown did that too and it took under a week, but I'm not giving it the first prize cause they only sent a little envelope, not an actual packet.

Duke and Vandy and BU all took 4-5 weeks to arrive for me... (I'm in Africa, so 3-5 weeks is pretty typical)

I know somewhere I read that Dean Tom doesn't do international phone calls, but I think Berkeley will send a follow-up email and status checker will say the decision. I was waitlisted to Penn via email, but I also thiiiiiiiink they'll send an email and status checker will show the decision for all decisions? I think most calling-first schools will send an email or something. The non-calling-first schools (Michigan, Vandy) will... make you wait 3-5 weeks for the unknown-decision mailing.
Really? My michigan this was a binder complete with a history book and UMich flash drive. I definitely didn't get any letter before that...hmm...
Huh? I didn't say there was a separate letter for Michigan-- I meant Georgetown ONLY sent a letter. Like, they were awesome and sent it fast, but it wasn't as fun as the also-fast Michigan more-than-letter.

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:12 pm

I'm an idiot I was scanning and saw that paragraph started with michigan and didn't realize you switched schools in the next sentence, sorry about that! :oops:

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:32 am

def2104 wrote:I'm an idiot I was scanning and saw that paragraph started with michigan and didn't realize you switched schools in the next sentence, sorry about that! :oops:
's cool :D

At least being able to (think you're) correct(ing) me means you got the packet in the first place-- congrats!

Moba

New

Post by Moba » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:50 am

Hey guys so I read that a round of letters from Columbia were sent late last week. Has anyone heard anything?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:16 am

I'm still not even complete at Columbia - they say they still haven't received my "application fee" (which was waived) and certification form. I'm going to call when I get home from work/babysitting tonight. (Yes, babysitting. I'm such an adult.)

Also, can I just say that I HATE INTERNATIONAL KEYBOARDS?! This took me way longer to type than it should have!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:39 am

Moba wrote:Hey guys so I read that a round of letters from Columbia were sent late last week. Has anyone heard anything?
I haven't heard anything as yet and I'm surprised that no international has reported anything on TLS/LSN. Last year international applicants got their acceptances before US applicants cos Columbia informed them by e-mail. Not sure if they've changed the process for this year.

Moba

New

Post by Moba » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:18 am

[strike]mmmm... i guess it means that they did not send emails (I hope). Ugh I hate waiting for the snail mail, it takes for ever. I can't believe that although I am next to the States it takes as long (sometimes) longer than what it takes to reach some of you guys here in Asia and Europe.[/strike] scratch what i just said
Last edited by Moba on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:21 pm

Moba wrote:Hey guys so I read that a round of letters from Columbia were sent late last week. Has anyone heard anything?
Just got the email... in?! (3.8/169... wtf?!)
Applied 10/11
Complete 10/16

Email text:

"Dear parker09:

Please find a copy of your Columbia Law School decision letter attached to this email in PDF format. The original letter was placed in the mail on January 22, 2010.

Best regards,

Jill Nussbaum
Assistant Director of Admissions
Columbia Law School, Office of Admissions"

Moba

New

Post by Moba » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:46 pm

parker09 wrote:
Applied 10/11
Complete 10/16

Email text:

"Dear parker09:

Please find a copy of your Columbia Law School decision letter attached to this email in PDF format. The original letter was placed in the mail on January 22, 2010.

Best regards,

Jill Nussbaum
Congrats! I didn't go complete until Dec... not loosing hope... yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk641

Bronze

Post by bk641 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:28 pm

sigh, i wonder just how little weight law schools place on foreign gpas, even if the ug institution using the same system (4.0 scale) as in the us. this may have been discussed before (though i couldn't find anything by searching the forum), but does anyone know if foreign gpas are bumped down/thrown away?

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:49 pm

parker09 wrote:
Applied 10/11
Complete 10/16

Email text:

"Dear parker09:

Best regards,

Jill Nussbaum
Congrats parker! Got the same e-mail last night!

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:02 am

ankit wrote: Congrats parker! Got the same e-mail last night!
Thanks! Congrats to you too! Your #s are a little less surprising though :)

On another note: FINALLY got the michigan housing packet which the admit website said was mailed 11/23... 10 weeks? Good thing everything was available online anyway...

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:01 am

parker09 wrote:
ankit wrote: Congrats parker! Got the same e-mail last night!
Thanks! Congrats to you too! Your #s are a little less surprising though :)

On another note: FINALLY got the michigan housing packet which the admit website said was mailed 11/23... 10 weeks? Good thing everything was available online anyway...
I want the michigan housing packet! I also really really really want a scholarship letter. C'mon michigan pleeeeaaaasssee

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:01 am

I want an acceptance. Just one, to tide me over.

goblue1646

New

Post by goblue1646 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:08 am

Beatrice wrote:I want an acceptance. Just one, to tide me over.
ME TOOOOO!!! I don't even CARE from who!!!

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 am

Woah, got the CLS acceptance packet already... mailed 1/22. Under a week? Crazy! Non-courier too. And they only paid $5.98. I don't know how that happened.

(And if anyone's been paying attention to the "color of the envelope" debate in the Columbia thread: it's totally an awkward almost-repulsive color.)

roundabout

Bronze

Post by roundabout » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:34 am

parker09 wrote:
Applied 10/11
Complete 10/16

Email text:

"Dear parker09:

Best regards,

Jill Nussbaum
a) Parker, with numbers similar to mine, you're giving me the will to live. Thank you!
b) Can I please use proper date format in this international group? W&M status checker updated with admit on 19/1 and still no packet. I've since had other people confirm I wasn't hallucinating, but come on, I just need something physical to hold. Sorry, boyfriend, you're not cutting it anymore. I'm so going to cheat on him with an acceptance packet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:00 am

parker09 wrote:Woah, got the CLS acceptance packet already... mailed 1/22. Under a week? Crazy! Non-courier too. And they only paid $5.98. I don't know how that happened.

(And if anyone's been paying attention to the "color of the envelope" debate in the Columbia thread: it's totally an awkward almost-repulsive color.)
Yeah these things are incredibly unpredictable. My housing packet from Michigan arrived in 28 days, but the Darrow scholarship offer from the same school came in just 10 days. I've decided to open my mailbox every day not expecting anything, that way its nice when I'm surprised.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:58 am

Only getting mail once or twice a week from the secretary at the school I live at SUCKS!

goblue1646

New

Post by goblue1646 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:41 am

does anyone know how emory usually lets abroad students know?! Only I turned my application in in NOVEMBER and got a complete e-mail a few weeks ago, and haven't heard a peep since!!!

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:52 am

ankit wrote:
parker09 wrote:Woah, got the CLS acceptance packet already... mailed 1/22. Under a week? Crazy! Non-courier too. And they only paid $5.98. I don't know how that happened.

Yeah these things are incredibly unpredictable. My housing packet from Michigan arrived in 28 days, but the Darrow scholarship offer from the same school came in just 10 days. I've decided to open my mailbox every day not expecting anything, that way its nice when I'm surprised.
Yeah, according to the website my housing information was sent a long time ago. I'm hoping that I get some scholly info, anything pleaaase. Mich adcomms if you're reading this a scholarship would pretty much sway me!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

poslhs

New

Post by poslhs » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:11 pm

anyone know whether George Mason call international students or not?

My status changed but I didn't get the call

It is my safety and it will really suck if I got rejected.

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:59 am

poslhs wrote:anyone know whether George Mason call international students or not?

My status changed but I didn't get the call

It is my safety and it will really suck if I got rejected.
If it's a safety the only thing you'll probably have to worry about is YP. Goodluck nonetheless. I have heard that some schools make the effort to call international students if you listed the phone number, but more often than not you'll get an e-mail.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:00 am

This was a fun week:
Penn State: $20k/yr
W & L: $34k/yr
Iowa: In
GMU: In via phone (for everyone on this thread, I'd recommend getting call forwarding to your abroad phone. Either do it through your phone company back home or Skype.)

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:50 am

Bikeflip wrote:This was a fun week:
Penn State: $20k/yr
W & L: $34k/yr
Iowa: In
GMU: In via phone (for everyone on this thread, I'd recommend getting call forwarding to your abroad phone. Either do it through your phone company back home or Skype.)
Oh wow, lots of good news-- congrats!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”