Houston!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
drwjr21

New

Re: Houston!!

Post by drwjr21 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:03 pm

ec2xs wrote:I visited Houston this past weekend and talked to admissions reps. If you have any questions about my visit, feel free to ask
I am concerned about the area as I have heard by friends from Houston that it is a little downtrodden. What is the area around the law school like? What did you think of the facilities?

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:11 pm

Admitted today as well!! I am definitely considering visiting
163/3.42 in review on 2/10 applied early january

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:14 pm

drwjr21 wrote:
ec2xs wrote:I visited Houston this past weekend and talked to admissions reps. If you have any questions about my visit, feel free to ask
I am concerned about the area as I have heard by friends from Houston that it is a little downtrodden. What is the area around the law school like? What did you think of the facilities?
I didn't see anything shady. I had heard a lot of that before visiting, but it didn't feel like a particularly unsafe area. The law school is off to the side of the campus next to a highway and train tracks, so there really isn't a lot immediately around it. It's downtrodden, but not in a crime-riddled way, just older. I imagine most students live 10-15 minutes away in nicer areas. The rest of the UH campus is fairly nice and I noticed some new commercial popping up on campus (a Pizza Hut and the like).

The facilities were really mixed. The majority of the school was sub-ground level and had kind of a basement feel (lots of exposed pipes, a few sandbags, etc.). The student clubs/journals all work in a stark area of cubicles with very little natural light, which was pretty awful. Not a pretty school at all, but also serviceable. A few renovations have been done: the library is new since it was flooded years ago, the computer lab is new-ish (although seldom used), and there's a Subway inside. Still, it seems like you'll only be in the building when you have to be.

My tour guide was truly awful. He was a 3L that was in a rush to get to a meeting and didn't want to show us the classrooms because they "sucked". Not exactly a great ambassador. He did really vouch for the student body though, claiming that everyone was really close and willing to help each other out.

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:19 pm

I looked all over the Houston website but can't find a COL number. Can anyone give me an estimate?

utswdukie80

New

Post by utswdukie80 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:29 pm

Also accepted via status checker!

Houston definitely has its nice parts and not-so-nice parts, but the COL is dirt cheap compared to a lot of other cities.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”