JD/MBA for a Sport Agent? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hrami

New

JD/MBA for a Sport Agent?

Post by hrami » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:46 pm

Hi,

First off, congratulations to all of you going through the application process!
I too, am interested in applying to a dual JD/MBA program to pursue my goal to become a Sports Agent.

I will be finishing up my undergrad at 22 and as a woman at 21; I am somewhat concerned with the time frame/length of attaining both degrees. I am aware most programs extend from 3-4 years. However, although my GPA and LSAT scores are great, I lack work experience other than internships with television networks and small part time jobs. I know work experience is paramount in an MBA application. Therefore, I would most likely have to take 1-2 years off to gain additional work experience, right? Is it imperative I take a year off after graduating to pursue additional work experience? Also, what type of work experience should I be looking into, if I do take a year off?

I've learned most Sports Agents have either an MBA or a JD, very few have both, are there any Sports Agents out there, who advocate attaining a dual degree? Or am I in over my head and should simply stick to pursing one degree, since I have yet to take the GMAT.

Thanks for reading!

Ronit

Drake014

Silver

Re: JD/MBA for a Sport Agent?

Post by Drake014 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:50 pm

hrami wrote:Hi,

I too, am interested in applying to a dual JD/MBA program to pursue my goal to become a Sports Agent.

I will be finishing up my undergrad at 22 and as a woman at 21; I am somewhat concerned with the time frame/length of attaining both degrees. I am aware most programs extend from 3-4 years. However, although my GPA and LSAT scores are great, I lack work experience other than internships with television networks and small part time jobs. I know work experience is paramount in an MBA application. Therefore, I would most likely have to take 1-2 years off to gain additional work experience, right? Is it imperative I take a year off after graduating to pursue additional work experience? Also, what type of work experience should I be looking into, if I do take a year off?

I've learned most Sports Agents have either an MBA or a JD, very few have both, are there any Sports Agents out there, who advocate attaining a dual degree? Or am I in over my head and should simply stick to pursing one degree, since I have yet to take the GMAT.

Thanks for reading!

Ronit
You're aiming for such a niche market I don't know if there are enough people on here with knowledge of the field to give helpful advice. Here's a bump for you anyway.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:52 pm

hrami wrote:Hi,

Thanks for reading!

Ronit
Some thoughts:

- I read this as you will finish becoming a woman at 21. Congrats
- Find full-time work experience that requires a college degree.
- Taking a year off helped me tremendously re: law school.
- Go with one degree.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:00 pm

I would say don't count on being a sports agent as it is very very difficult to break into. Just get the J.D. Best of luck.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:04 pm

No, only a JD/MBA for a Hollywood agent:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:20 pm

I'd call Marquette University.

I know they have a specialty in Sports Law, they might be able to help you more than anyone around these parts.

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:19 pm

You do not need any type of graduate degree to be a sports agent. What you do need is superb social skills and the ability to convince an athlete that you are the best person to represent them. An MBA degree is for all intents and purposes bull. It is becoming less and less valuable, not least of all because its supposed ethics requirements have been shown to be lacking in graduates who have such a degree. If you want to be a sports agent and that is all you want to be then you should make a list of the top 10 or so agencies (I know A-Rod's agent is a big deal and has a huge agency) and then call them and see if they have an associate program or internship program. You will be treated like crap. I repeat. For the next 3-5 years of your life you will be treated like hot garbage. It isn't like you just get some degree and you become a sports agent. You could get a JD/MBA and it will make little to no difference, you will be an assistant and you will be treated like crap. Be prepared for that. The agency world is one in which your degree means absolutely nothing. Proof positive is Ari Emanuel. He only has an undergraduate degree (albeit at a prestigious institution) and he is now arguably the biggest agent in Hollywood. I will stress again that you should speak to sports agents if you can or people who work in a sports agency to really get a feel for what that's like. You're 21 years old, a lot can change and to put all your eggs in one basket (especially in this economy) would not be wise. That's my rant.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:36 pm

I don't know how a JD is gonna help you be a sports agent, and if law isn't your passion you won't enjoy law school. if law is your passion, maybe a speciality in entertainment law? UCLA would be a good choice for you then. Talk with your athletic director at your UG, they'd be able to give you some great information and people to contact.

mhernton

Bronze

Post by mhernton » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:52 am

ValiantVic wrote:You do not need any type of graduate degree to be a sports agent. What you do need is superb social skills and the ability to convince an athlete that you are the best person to represent them. An MBA degree is for all intents and purposes bull. It is becoming less and less valuable, not least of all because its supposed ethics requirements have been shown to be lacking in graduates who have such a degree. If you want to be a sports agent and that is all you want to be then you should make a list of the top 10 or so agencies (I know A-Rod's agent is a big deal and has a huge agency) and then call them and see if they have an associate program or internship program. You will be treated like crap. I repeat. For the next 3-5 years of your life you will be treated like hot garbage. It isn't like you just get some degree and you become a sports agent. You could get a JD/MBA and it will make little to no difference, you will be an assistant and you will be treated like crap. Be prepared for that. The agency world is one in which your degree means absolutely nothing. Proof positive is Ari Emanuel. He only has an undergraduate degree (albeit at a prestigious institution) and he is now arguably the biggest agent in Hollywood. I will stress again that you should speak to sports agents if you can or people who work in a sports agency to really get a feel for what that's like. You're 21 years old, a lot can change and to put all your eggs in one basket (especially in this economy) would not be wise. That's my rant.

As a guy with an MBA its not anymore of a crap degree than any other Graduate Level Program. As far as the ethics requirement, the last time I checked Lawyers have as a reputation as those in business. The purpose in having an advanced professional degree in the "agent field" whether representing Actors, athletes, writers etc, is to understand the basics of business. You can learn that in Law School or business school. You can also take courses in Negotiation and contracts in either program, and you can learn everything you need to know from business schoool in Law school by taking a business track through a program. Speaking Practically the JD/MBA will raise your price point if your seeking employment outside of the legal field. As far as being a sports agent in concerned, the poster above is right, you don't really need a degree, because before you can branch out on your own you have to through a probationary period. The period doesn't really have a name, but its in every business. In law were are junior associates an we take crap from those senior to us. In the military the heavying lifting is done by the junior officers and junior enlisted. In IB the junior associates are the ones outting in the long hours. In the agent field its the same except you don't really get compensated for your education or your efforts, until the boss says so. Your work experience isn't a factor, you can't help that right now anyway, and once you graduate there isn't a good time to go back. I did it after I got out of the military, and I'm doing law after I get back out of the military (recalled to active duty) and have to put off children and other things while I get my education and legal career started. If you want to be an agent, you have to do the internships, so contact the agencies and be persistent in getting an internship with the agency. If I were you I'd focus on the Law degree it give you more options and focus on getting the internships to the agencies. Then make sure you can live on Ramen and PBJ's for a couple of years until the money starts coming in. Good Luck

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:25 am

your success in this field would probably depend more on networking than an extra degree

if I were you, I might try breaking into the field in some capacity (internship with a sports team or with a sports agent) first. That will give you 2 things - 1. a chance to see if you really like the field and 2. more importantly - you will make some contacts and actually start moving somewhere with your career

get some real experience in this field before committing 200k + 3 years towards something that may be an unattainable goal.

just my 2 cents as someone who knows nothing about this field

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:15 am

If you want to go to a good school (nothing ranked below 15) you're going to need more than 1-2 years of FT WE for MBA. Most top MBA programs won't even consider you with less than 2 years. There are exceptional cases though but unless you have established your own company and made your first million by age 19 while curing cancer, 1 year of WE is not going to get you into a top MBA program.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:55 am

I did research on this and worked (very briefly) for a talent agency during undergrad. At IMG, Harvard Law grads work in the mail room for $30k. I know Scott Boras went to a TTT and became "the man" in baseball (he actually did MedMal work out of law school), but it's still an iffy proposition. Yes, sports agents have JD's, but the scary part is that it's safer to just work at a BigLaw firm that has a sports practice. And note: when you put "safe" = any BigLaw, you'd better go/get into HYS. Here is a list of firms that have a sports practice, but who knows if they even hire within that part for new associates so even HYS may not help you: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/edit ... per_200920

The other choice is go the BIG STATE SCHOOL, get a job in the athletic center and try to make connections. Which isn't any easier and you'd better be able identify talent.

Basically there is a reason why a very very select few end up pursuing this avenue.

samer

Bronze

Post by samer » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Some of the biggest sports lawyers/sports agents only have JDs (Drew Rosenhaus, Eugene Parker, to name a few). With that said, I just talked to some director of admissions at Notre Dame who said it might not be a bad idea to get a JD/MBA. I don't plan on getting an MBA, at least not right away. An MBA is a bit easier to get than a JD and lots of people do it part-time, unlike law school. Take that for what it's worth, but I'm trying to break into the same field and don't plan on getting an MBA

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

joe_45

New

Post by joe_45 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:21 pm

If the sports agent thing doesnt work out, I heard that women can always get work in kitchens. HAHA j/k

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:46 pm

joe_45 wrote:If the sports agent thing doesnt work out, I heard that women can always get work in kitchens. HAHA j/k
I love sexist jokes, and even I didn't find that funny...

joe_45

New

Post by joe_45 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:47 pm

Oh come on it was a little funny.

applicantin2010

New

Post by applicantin2010 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:02 pm

At one point I was looking at doing the JD/MBA thing, but later realized the MBA wouldn't benefit me a whole lot, but in your case it could. With that said it may be much more cost and time efficient to get the work experience to get into an mba program and then do the jd/mba. You save a year off doing the degrees separately since most programs are 4 years total plus whatever cost savings that gives you. There are a few schools that have 3 year jd/mba programs as well, northwestern, upenn, maybe chicago so that miht be worth looking into.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:09 pm

UNC offers a JD/Masters of Sports Administration. That might help some too

mrm2083

Bronze

Post by mrm2083 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:27 pm

My uncle is a pretty big time sports agent in football and baseball and he always says he should have gotten a law degree. The reason though has nothing to do with getting a job, he says it is just nice to have the knowledge plus you can make extra money by doing a lot of things you would hire a lawyer for. As far as being a good sports agent, its all about connections. My uncle went to University of Miami undergrad and spent his years becoming friends with all the players. You need to work your way into all the social circles, ultimately they really pay you to hang out with them.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:31 pm

mrm2083 wrote:My uncle is a pretty big time sports agent in football and baseball and he always says he should have gotten a law degree. The reason though has nothing to do with getting a job, he says it is just nice to have the knowledge plus you can make extra money by doing a lot of things you would hire a lawyer for. As far as being a good sports agent, its all about connections. My uncle went to University of Miami undergrad and spent his years becoming friends with all the players. You need to work your way into all the social circles, ultimately they really pay you to hang out with them.
A definite +1. OP, unless you have unmatched charisma, or you know a couple of professional-bound athletes that you can represent, this is a hard business to break into.

slowmo2385

New

Post by slowmo2385 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:08 am

mrm2083 wrote:My uncle is a pretty big time sports agent in football and baseball and he always says he should have gotten a law degree. The reason though has nothing to do with getting a job, he says it is just nice to have the knowledge plus you can make extra money by doing a lot of things you would hire a lawyer for. As far as being a good sports agent, its all about connections. My uncle went to University of Miami undergrad and spent his years becoming friends with all the players. You need to work your way into all the social circles, ultimately they really pay you to hang out with them.

7th floor crew?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:58 am

biv0ns wrote:
joe_45 wrote:If the sports agent thing doesnt work out, I heard that women can always get work in kitchens. HAHA j/k
I love sexist jokes, and even I didn't find that funny...
As usual, Biv0ns is right on. This was horribly un-funny.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:02 am

GeePee wrote:
A definite +1. OP, unless you have unmatched charisma, or you know a couple of professional-bound athletes that you can represent, this is a hard business to break into.
I have a little experience in the field (no pun intended), and ^^^ TITCR. JD > MBA for an agent (but you'd better be business minded) and all for nothing if you don't have contacts, aren't extremely cut-throat, and aren't awesome at networking and schmoozing. Best of luck though - if you can break in it's an exciting place to be.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”