USS: Optimism Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SanBun

Silver

Re: USS: Optimism

Post by SanBun » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:50 pm

billyez wrote: SanBun, put this in perspective. According to your LSN profile you've been accepted to two schools that are ranked pretty highly. It's written in stone now that if you want to go to law school, not only can you next year but you can attend some great places.

Is this a numbers game? Yes. I've become highly aware of that, as my numbers aren't that great. Did I have reasons for that? Yes, but I knew the schools probably didn't care. The thing is, I didn't care either way. I decided I was going to law school no matter - whether these schools were as "holistic" as they said they were or not.

Of all the things to get dissuaded by, the superficial way LS admissions work is not one of them - especially when there's plenty of time in the cycle. If my resolve can stay strong through this process with weaker numbers, I'm sure yours can. I just can't imagine that after all the hard work I'm sure you've put in this process you'd want to just drop it.
Billyez, thank you so much for your response, it really helped me look at my situation from a different perspective. I was worried I was gonna come off douchy or ungrateful, but what I really meant was that despite me having been accepted to good schools, i didn't like the way admissions make decisions- about me and other people. It was like a "I don't know if I can support any such establishment by attending" kind of thing.

But you're right, and after reading your response and looking at your LSN profile I have to say I admire your persistence and attitude- it's going to get you very far in life, regardless of what school you end up at. I will follow your advice and keep this in perspective, and not give up. Thanks again!!!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:26 am

I agree with you SanBun how admissions decisions are based on bullshit numbers and they don't take other important life factors into account. My cycle so far has shown me that law schools don't give a shit about you unless you have numbers to help them out. I'm retaking the LSAT in February and am considering putting off law school for a year because I CAN'T STAND the fact that my potential is being analyzed by someone who probably didn't even read my PS saw my numbers and then took a shit on my application. It's getting really rough this cycle and surgery number nine is coming up in March which probably will not allow me to visit law schools and schmooze my way off the waitlist uggh!

But even though this is happening to me, every day I am grateful that I was given this experience because it has made me stronger and it has made me wiser. They say life only gives you what you can handle, and I'm one stubborn son of a bitch so it looks like law schools are either gonna have to admit me this cycle, or they can deal with me again next....

Like Anne Frank said "I still believe in the good in people!"

statuscheckerssuck

Bronze

Post by statuscheckerssuck » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:18 pm

I would just like to point out that we can all (most of us atleast) be thankful that right now we are not on the LSAT forum constantly refreshing our LSAC page in hopes of an early score release. I thought my one day of constant LSAC refreshing was painful. I can not imaging doing this for days on end.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:29 pm

Dude I'm feeling down and need a pick me up. People with similar stories and numbers as me are getting into their dream schools and I'm getting nothing. IDK if it's my PS or what it is. Maybe one of my professors wrote something horrible about me even though they said they didn't. I just don't get it. I feel like I've worked this hard and will get nothing. I'm applying to jobs in the DC area right now as I probably will have to wait another year for law school...fml...

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:37 pm

Not only is it a difficult application cycle, but you've applied to incredibly competitive schools. Miracles happen even in law school cycles but we can't epect them to - heck, we can't even expect to get into law schools we really should be getting into.

For every person who got into their dream school there's a hundred others who didn't. It happens. I just think it's really important we all separate the dream from the school The dream is being a lawyer, the law school is just a means to an end. It doesn't define what kind of lawyer you'll be or how good you'll be at it. Keep applying to other schools. Keep having a positive attitude. It's all you can do. Stick it out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:39 pm

robin600 wrote:Dude I'm feeling down and need a pick me up. People with similar stories and numbers as me are getting into their dream schools and I'm getting nothing. IDK if it's my PS or what it is. Maybe one of my professors wrote something horrible about me even though they said they didn't. I just don't get it. I feel like I've worked this hard and will get nothing. I'm applying to jobs in the DC area right now as I probably will have to wait another year for law school...fml...
I'm sure that your LORs were great. Would it make you feel better if I read your PS? Remember that numbers >>> personal stories for most schools, so you shouldn't interpret LS results as dismissals of your amazing story.

The work experience in DC would definitely boost your chances in a second cycle! Also, remember that it's still very early. For example, a current Berkeley 1L didn't get accepted there until late February despite applying before Thanksgiving. I am definitely crossing my fingers for you! :D

And I agree with the post above. Law school is just a three-year first step to your goal of becoming a lawyer.

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:44 pm

robin600 wrote:Dude I'm feeling down and need a pick me up. People with similar stories and numbers as me are getting into their dream schools and I'm getting nothing. IDK if it's my PS or what it is. Maybe one of my professors wrote something horrible about me even though they said they didn't. I just don't get it. I feel like I've worked this hard and will get nothing. I'm applying to jobs in the DC area right now as I probably will have to wait another year for law school...fml...
robin, I really feel your pain, since I've been rejected from some of my dream schools too. But I do think that you should not give up! Sometimes it's really hard to tell why things happen the way they do, but most of the time it's for the best. Sure, we all aim at getting into the best schools, but I know that your hard work will pay off eventually, be it now or in 2 years once you're actually at a school. Working hard in undergrad, studying for the LSAT- all these things are not just a means to get into ls, they actually show your commitment and improve your intellectual abilities. What you have earned through your hard work will not be lost just because some adcom doesn't love your PS (which I'm convinced only a really boring adcom wouldn't love). Just keep applying to schools and keep staying positive, it's still early in the process, and miracles can and do happen. I am sure you will eventually get accepted to a school you can see yourself attending, just hang in there!

That being said, some of the most charismatic, successful and wonderful people I know have had ups and downs in their careers and are anything but clean-cut Harvard grads, and they still made it and are still amazing as people, and I think it's because life didn't hand them everything and they weren't lucky all the time.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:47 pm

managamy wrote:
I'm sure that your LORs were great. Would it make you feel better if I read your PS? Remember that numbers >>> personal stories for most schools, so you shouldn't interpret LS results as dismissals of your amazing story.

The work experience in DC would definitely boost your chances in a second cycle! Also, remember that it's still very early. For example, a current Berkeley 1L didn't get accepted there until late February despite applying before Thanksgiving. I am definitely crossing my fingers for you! :D

And I agree with the post above. Law school is just a three-year first step to your goal of becoming a lawyer.
goddammit, PM
Last edited by robin600 on Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:54 pm

Thanks guys! I really needed that!!! It's so hard to stay positive sometimes when this cycle sucks, but you guys are right, it will work out for the best in the end. Whether I go to law school this year or next year, I will still go. You guys are awesome for boosting my spirits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:45 pm

Last edited by jaskat on Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:31 pm

jaskat wrote:So I'm a little bit bummed. My re-take scores came in and I did 3 points worse. I knew it wasn't going to be a great score to begin with since I hadn't really studied as I was trying to focus on my school work, but it still kind of bummed me out. If ever I needed this thread, I think it's now.
Jaskat, if you want we can be study buddies for Feb. that's when I'm retaking! Your numbers are strong now. You scored higher than like 85% of test takers so don't let it get you down. You will get in somewhere I promise! What are your target schools? I will give you my Maryland acceptance if you so desire! I believe in you and I know that your application package is strong! Do you want me to read over your PS or anything to ease your mind, I will! Stay strong my friend, most decisions don't come out until Jan/Feb. so we're in for a wait!!!

TruckerD

Bronze

Post by TruckerD » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:21 am

Mrs. Trucker: Captain Tupper will make you all walk the plank if you don't start bailing and get this ship righted! He may also abscond with your daily allotment of booty...err carrots! :wink:
Robin and Jas, I know y'all are having a tough time right now, but hang in there. I know there will be great schools that accept you. More importantly, though, I know that wherever each of you do go, will get a special, dedicated individual that will make their school a better place.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:44 pm

Great to see you return, Mrs Trucker! Did you have a nice holiday? :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TruckerD

Bronze

Post by TruckerD » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:23 pm

Mrs Trucker: Glad to be back. Vacation was great :) We visited Alabama and loved it, and after they added to his scholly a couple days later, D decided to attend there. Roll Tide yay. LOL
We then went to the North Carolina mountains and visited his family. Unfortunately we exchanged more than gifts lol. By the time we left, everyone was sick except D! Damn his super immune system. I also messed up my knee on the ice (strained patellar tendon) :shock:

Anyway back to the optimistic happy stuff! All of y'all need to come to Alabama with us. I will bring hot cocoa and cookies 8)

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:37 pm

TruckerD wrote:Mrs Trucker: Glad to be back. Vacation was great :) We visited Alabama and loved it, and after they added to his scholly a couple days later, D decided to attend there. Roll Tide yay. LOL
We then went to the North Carolina mountains and visited his family. Unfortunately we exchanged more than gifts lol. By the time we left, everyone was sick except D! Damn his super immune system. I also messed up my knee on the ice (strained patellar tendon) :shock:

Anyway back to the optimistic happy stuff! All of y'all need to come to Alabama with us. I will bring hot cocoa and cookies 8)
Wow, congratulations to D on finishing his cycle so early! Everyone who has gone to Alabama seems to have loved it.

:D

TruckerD

Bronze

Post by TruckerD » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:44 pm

Mrs. Trucker: He says Thanks. Alabama is pretty awesome in the way the treat people, and it seems to continue after you go there :). I'm not kidding about the cocoa and cookies. Come on down y'all ;)

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:54 pm

TruckerD wrote:Mrs. Trucker: He says Thanks. Alabama is pretty awesome in the way the treat people, and it seems to continue after you go there :). I'm not kidding about the cocoa and cookies. Come on down y'all ;)
That part is crucial. Plenty of schools fawn and slobber over applicants and admitted students before they commit; then, the attitude changes completely.

EDIT: Also, Alabama seems upwardly mobile and may soon be in the top 20. I was highly impressed by the incentivating packet that they sent when they invited me to apply. It was far more thoughtful and polished than some higher-ranked schools. They even arranged for a professor from the Bay Area to write me a letter on the transition from California to Alabama.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TruckerD

Bronze

Post by TruckerD » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:18 pm

EDIT: Also, Alabama seems upwardly mobile and may soon be in the top 20. I was highly impressed by the incentivating packet that they sent when they invited me to apply. It was far more thoughtful and polished than some higher-ranked schools. They even arranged for a professor from the Bay Area to write me a letter on the transition from California to Alabama.[/quote]

D: I love the example of the letter from a Bay Area prof. It definitely reinforces my sense that they are about people and not just numbers. I had a couple of negative experiences with other schools, and it just made me that much more likely to reward a school I felt treated me (and my wife) right. As far as their upward mobility, I really do think it will continue, and I think they are capable of competing with any state school outside the top 14. Their career services people also seem very good, and they did tell me some stories about getting people jobs far away from Alabama. So unless you're dead set on avoiding the south lol, you should visit and consider strongly :)

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:21 pm

TruckerD wrote:
managamy wrote:EDIT: Also, Alabama seems upwardly mobile and may soon be in the top 20. I was highly impressed by the incentivating packet that they sent when they invited me to apply. It was far more thoughtful and polished than some higher-ranked schools. They even arranged for a professor from the Bay Area to write me a letter on the transition from California to Alabama.
D: I love the example of the letter from a Bay Area prof. It definitely reinforces my sense that they are about people and not just numbers. I had a couple of negative experiences with other schools, and it just made me that much more likely to reward a school I felt treated me (and my wife) right. As far as their upward mobility, I really do think it will continue, and I think they are capable of competing with any state school outside the top 14. Their career services people also seem very good, and they did tell me some stories about getting people jobs far away from Alabama. So unless you're dead set on avoiding the south lol, you should visit and consider strongly :)
I also got a really nice packet from them with a letter from one of their professors who lived near where I do. The entire packet was really well put together. Much better then most of the t10 packets I got, NYU's looks like a joke compared to it. (I like NYU, but wow was it bad.)

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:23 pm

managamy wrote:
TruckerD wrote:Mrs. Trucker: He says Thanks. Alabama is pretty awesome in the way the treat people, and it seems to continue after you go there :). I'm not kidding about the cocoa and cookies. Come on down y'all ;)
That part is crucial. Plenty of schools fawn and slobber over applicants and admitted students before they commit; then, the attitude changes completely.

EDIT: Also, Alabama seems upwardly mobile and may soon be in the top 20. I was highly impressed by the incentivating packet that they sent when they invited me to apply. It was far more thoughtful and polished than some higher-ranked schools. They even arranged for a professor from the Bay Area to write me a letter on the transition from California to Alabama.
That letter definitely caused me to consider iBama more seriously.

TruckerD

Bronze

Post by TruckerD » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:31 pm

I guess since I'm from the south and an SEC undergrad, they didn't focus on geography with me lol. And I think I applied too early to get the iTunes... or maybe they just thought I was too old hehe (which, considering I've never actually used iTunes, I guess I am). But I did get more personal letters and phone calls from Bama folks than from all the other 20 schools I applied to combined. I know it's still early, but they just blew me away, and I really doubt I'll have any regrets.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:32 pm

Yay trucker! I'm really considering Alabama too, I applied and haven't heard anything back from them yet though :( I'm one point below their median so I might have to wait till mid Jan or Feb., but if I don't get in to my DC area schools Alabama is up there. I really like their clinic with The Southern Poverty Law Center too.

TruckerD

Bronze

Post by TruckerD » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks Robin. I really hope you get in there. I know I would love to attend law school with you :) The SPLC clinic and their death penalty defense clinic are both really interesting.

vanstone22

Bronze

Post by vanstone22 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:56 pm

Veritas wrote:
managamy wrote:

That letter definitely caused me to consider iBama more seriously.
I had a similar letter but for SoCal. They are taking advantage of good marketing. It doesnt even take that much effort but it is definitely going to net them some qualified applicants.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:17 am

Hey guys! I hope everyone is happy, or sort of happy and sort of nervous (like me) that it's close to decision time for most of us. I'm really hoping for Alabama (Trucker talked me into it! affordable + good DC placement rate = pretty sweet) but I'm nervous because I'm below both medians (163/3.65) I'm hoping for a good thing, but IDK what to think, I'm nervous!!! Do you guys think I'm OK?

PS- Accepted at OSU, withdrawing though the letter they sent was really cold and basically said if you are even slightly hesitant about attending please withdraw now. Butts!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”