USS: Optimism

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawschool5523

Re: USS: Optimism

Postby lawschool5523 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:12 am

im really hoping for some early christmas presents today from some schools :) wouldn't that be nice?

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:28 pm

lawschool5523 wrote:im really hoping for some early christmas presents today from some schools :) wouldn't that be nice?

MrsTrucker: You will get into some great schools, just be positive!! :D

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:20 pm

:| I was going to offer to be lead singer too. 11 years of experience as a Soprano in choirs!

While there is no school news guaranteed for me until at least January, I am glad to report that I have just handed 2 of my finals in!
I also have to brag about how awesome my boyfriend is as he took the GRE yesterday and did so incredibly well! Life is good.

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:43 pm

jaskat wrote::| I was going to offer to be lead singer too. 11 years of experience as a Soprano in choirs!

While there is no school news guaranteed for me until at least January, I am glad to report that I have just handed 2 of my finals in!
I also have to brag about how awesome my boyfriend is as he took the GRE yesterday and did so incredibly well! Life is good.

MrsTrucker: Congrats to your boyfriend! You should both go out and celebrate tonight, for that and your finals! You both deserve it! :D

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:50 pm

TruckerD wrote:
jaskat wrote::| I was going to offer to be lead singer too. 11 years of experience as a Soprano in choirs!

MrsTrucker: Congrats to your boyfriend! You should both go out and celebrate tonight, for that and your finals! You both deserve it! :D

I totally wish we could go out and celebrate tonight. Alas, we are currently forced to do the long distance thing. :(

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:00 pm

jaskat wrote:
TruckerD wrote:

I totally wish we could go out and celebrate tonight. Alas, we are currently forced to do the long distance thing. :(

MrsTrucker: Awww that does suck :( I'm going to be a little naughty here and suggest some celebratory phone sex is in order :oops:

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:05 pm

TruckerD wrote:
jaskat wrote:
TruckerD wrote:

MrsTrucker: Awww that does suck :( I'm going to be a little naughty here and suggest some celebratory phone sex is in order :oops:

Lol, Mrs. Trucker, I don't know how to respond to that! I'll definitely inform him that someone on my "obsession" (he thinks I'm obsessed with TLS. Yeah right! :P) suggested it.

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:08 pm

jaskat wrote:Lol, Mrs. Trucker, I don't know how to respond to that! I'll definitely inform him that someone on my "obsession" (he thinks I'm obsessed with TLS. Yeah right! :P) suggested it.

MrsTrucker: Yes, I was very very naughty :oops: I will be a good girl now and keep those thoughts in my head :D

Edit: I think the excitement of D coming home it a few hours has played with my head. :shock:

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:12 pm

got accepted by two of my top choices in one day... one with good $

everyone at the office is giving me weird looks cause i have this stupid look of trying not to smile on my face

glad i can leave pessimism thread now

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:19 pm

sdegarmo wrote:got accepted by two of my top choices in one day... one with good $

everyone at the office is giving me weird looks cause i have this stupid look of trying not to smile on my face

Congrats!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:39 pm

sdegarmo wrote:got accepted by two of my top choices in one day... one with good $

Congrats!! That's terrific.

And MrsTrucker: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I am speechless.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:03 pm

Phone sex is phun!!!! hahaha i crack myself up

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:04 pm

Oh boy... this isn't going to turn into a thread about that, right? :P

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:10 pm

robin600 wrote:Phone sex is phun!!!! hahaha i crack myself up

Hmmm, I don't think that my avatar would like it.

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:09 am

MrsTrucker: Hey guys! Just got home after getting D from the truck yard. Put him to bed, he was a tired guy. Thought I would let y'all know that I won't be on much for the rest of the month. We are going to his folks in NC for the holidays, and will be leaving at the butt crack of dawn Monday morning. We may be on here this weekend, but not after Monday.

So we want to wish all of you a Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!! :D

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:16 am

TruckerD wrote:MrsTrucker: Hey guys! Just got home after getting D from the truck yard. Put him to bed, he was a tired guy. Thought I would let y'all know that I won't be on much for the rest of the month. We are going to his folks in NC for the holidays, and will be leaving at the butt crack of dawn Monday morning. We may be on here this weekend, but not after Monday.

So we want to wish all of you a Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!! :D

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year to both of you as well! Hope that you have lots of great food and drink to celebrate all of his acceptances. My family is planning a lovely celebration gift for me, but it won't take place until March, so I have a long time to look forward to it!

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:49 pm

managamy wrote:

yeah, she doesn't look like she puts out :oops: (omg I'm sorry i had to say it though, i had to!!!)

So thinking about not attending law school next year if I can't get in to any DC area schools since that is where I want to work....hmmmm...IDK what I'm gonna do for a year though!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:00 pm

robin600 wrote:
managamy wrote:

yeah, she doesn't look like she puts out :oops: (omg I'm sorry i had to say it though, i had to!!!)

So thinking about not attending law school next year if I can't get in to any DC area schools since that is where I want to work....hmmmm...IDK what I'm gonna do for a year though!

That's right; it's why I like her. She demonstrates that a woman can be sexy and classy at the same time. 8)

Even if you don't get into a DC school, a solid school somewhere else on the East Coast could get you a job at a multi-regional or multi-national company or firm within which you could conceivably transfer to DC at some point. Be careful not to draw the equation between law school and job too literally.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:22 pm

managamy wrote:
robin600 wrote:
managamy wrote:

That's right; it's why I like her. She demonstrates that a woman can be sexy and classy at the same time. 8)

Even if you don't get into a DC school, a solid school somewhere else on the East Coast could get you a job at a multi-regional or multi-national company or firm within which you could conceivably transfer to DC at some point. Be careful not to draw the equation between law school and job too literally.

I'm interested in public interest law (public defender, ADA, fed. gov.) so I really don't want to work for a big firm and I really don't want to work for the state of Iowa ( I never really liked corn).

billyez

Postby billyez » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:29 pm

Georgetwon rejected me and Cornell deferred me. I spent my time studying for the LSAT instead of focusing on my finals. I had my worst grades yet this semester. I'm taking 21 hours next semester to graduate a year early and going seasonal at a job I love so I can get an A in those classes. I'm drained and exhausted.

And yet, I'll be darned if I feel okay. I tend to have built a reserve of optimism and so I am here. I wanted a miracle with Georgetown. Didn't get it. No miracle with Cornell either and I feel like I scored in low 160s on the LSAT. But I'm going to law school next fall. Very low tiered schools have already thrown money at me and I'll go there if Cornell doesn't take me. I'll be a public defender either way.

I just want to get to business and I'm not going to let some admission process beat me down.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:50 am

billyez wrote:Georgetwon rejected me and Cornell deferred me. I spent my time studying for the LSAT instead of focusing on my finals. I had my worst grades yet this semester. I'm taking 21 hours next semester to graduate a year early and going seasonal at a job I love so I can get an A in those classes. I'm drained and exhausted.

And yet, I'll be darned if I feel okay. I tend to have built a reserve of optimism and so I am here. I wanted a miracle with Georgetown. Didn't get it. No miracle with Cornell either and I feel like I scored in low 160s on the LSAT. But I'm going to law school next fall. Very low tiered schools have already thrown money at me and I'll go there if Cornell doesn't take me. I'll be a public defender either way.

I just want to get to business and I'm not going to let some admission process beat me down.

Damn Skippy!! I think I'm going to feel like you when UIUC doesn't take me, so know that you are my inspiration!

hey123

Postby hey123 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:25 pm

So just thought i would share a little optimism with everyone.

I have a 156/166 3.8; everyone on this board said i would be lucky if I cracked t14 or t30..and that i did not have a good chance at T14.

I was just accepted to Northwestern ED. I'm basically right at 25% LSAT (probably lower once new 2010 medians come out).

Don't always listen to all these people on here who say that without a 170 you are screwed. When it comes down to it, if you have an intriguing story you never know what can happen.

I'm not a URM, not a fullbright, didn't cure cancer or save babies. In fact, I really don't have any exceptional softs (1.5 years WE at Fortune 500 Company, not very unique).

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:07 pm

hey123 wrote:So just thought i would share a little optimism with everyone.

I have a 156/166 3.8; everyone on this board said i would be lucky if I cracked t14 or t30..and that i did not have a good chance at T14.

I was just accepted to Northwestern ED. I'm basically right at 25% LSAT (probably lower once new 2010 medians come out).

Don't always listen to all these people on here who say that without a 170 you are screwed. When it comes down to it, if you have an intriguing story you never know what can happen.

I'm not a URM, not a fullbright, didn't cure cancer or save babies. In fact, I really don't have any exceptional softs (1.5 years WE at Fortune 500 Company, not very unique).

That's such an inspiring story , thanks hey 123! You've cheered me up a little after a sad day... So here comes my rant, I hope you guys don't mind but I'm super down and have previously found everyone on this ship so supportive :)

I've come to think that maybe I should give up on this whole law school thing. It's true I've wanted this for years now and I'm passionate about it, but the whole ridiculousness of the process has made me so disillusioned- especially the # driven nature and the somewhat two-faced nature.. "we care about diversity but only if you are URM or if you happen to be above median. and even in those cases only if we feel like it". I mean seriously, I don't expect a medal for being an ethnic minority (non URM) that escaped severe prosecution in my home country, for having lived pretty much all over the world and having ridiculous extracurriculars- I really don't, that's just who I am, period. But honestly, I do find it shocking that despite the very long way I've come schools still only care about numbers. (all my admits so far have been auto admit and a school where I'm right at median deferred me) LS admissions is such a superficial business, at least I get the impression. I also have an investment job lined up, and it seems like the people at that company truly care about the diversity I would bring to the team. Maybe I should just go for it and leave this law school thing alone. It's a sign, no?

in other words: am I being totally ridiculous or should I just give in to desperation cause I feel like it right now?
Last edited by SanBun on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:14 pm

If you don't save babies, do you kill them?

billyez

Postby billyez » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:31 pm

SanBun wrote:

That's such an inspiring story , thanks hey 123! You've cheered me up a little after a sad day... So here comes my rant, I hope you guys don't mind but I'm super down and have previously found everyone on this ship so supportive :)

I've come to think that maybe I should give up on this whole law school thing. It's true I've wanted this for years now and I'm passionate about it, but the whole ridiculousness of the process has made me so disillusioned- especially the # driven nature and the somewhat two-faced nature.. "we care about diversity but only if you are URM or if you happen to be above median. and even in those cases only if we feel like it". I mean seriously, I don't expect a medal for being an ethnic minority (non URM) that escaped severe prosecution in my home country, for having lived pretty much all over the world and having ridiculous extracurriculars- I really don't, that's just who I am, period. But honestly, I do find it shocking that despite the very long way I've come schools still only care about numbers. (all my admits so far have been auto admit and a school where I'm right at median deferred me) LS admissions is such a superficial business, at least I get the impression. I also have an investment job lined up, and it seems like the people at that company truly care about the diversity I would bring to the team. Maybe I should just go for it and leave this law school thing alone. It's a sign, no?

in other words: am I being totally ridiculous or should I just give in to desperation cause I feel like it right now?

SanBun, put this in perspective. According to your LSN profile you've been accepted to two schools that are ranked pretty highly. It's written in stone now that if you want to go to law school, not only can you next year but you can attend some great places.

Is this a numbers game? Yes. I've become highly aware of that, as my numbers aren't that great. Did I have reasons for that? Yes, but I knew the schools probably didn't care. The thing is, I didn't care either way. I decided I was going to law school no matter what - whether these schools were as "holistic" as they said they were or not.

Of all the things to get dissuaded by, the superficial way LS admissions work is not one of them - especially when there's plenty of time left in the cycle. If my resolve can stay strong through this process with weaker numbers, I'm sure yours can. I just can't imagine that after all the hard work I'm sure you've put in this process you'd want to just drop it.
Last edited by billyez on Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”