USS: Optimism

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CardinalRules

Re: USS: Optimism

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:57 pm

robin600 wrote:
managamy wrote:
Finally got the makeup smudges washed off, Robin, but I still smell like her perfume. Oh well, could be worse. :lol:

Does your tar know about this? She's gonna be jealus mr.monogamous

Haha, she's currently dating an Australian golfer so she has no cause to complain. My name is actually a satirical pun on the word "monogamy," incorporating the names of two girls that I love in the "mana-" part. I was poking gentle fun at the concept, although I fully respect people who believe in it.

Oli will be pleased that I followed her advice, though.

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:07 pm

No, seriously... I appreciate you pointing it out. I re-read it and, :oops: ... I didn't mean to come off sounding sanctimonious, or that I was some bigwig (certainly not the case), so I am glad you pointed it out to me. I need to remind myself that it is tough to put a tone of voice on the internets.

I feel like I'm the guy with the non-funny comment at the table again. :)

I appreciate the kind words! And congrats on having a good day! It's a good start for a big week... Methinks you have good news in your future.

Again, I apologize for the posting on this our Optimism thread... moment of weakness... :oops:

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:11 pm

jackalope11 wrote:
managamy wrote:

No worries. You can bring your grousing over here and we can try our best to cheer you up! :D Which is what I was attempting to do by reminding you what a wonderful job you had. I was on the verge of asking you to hire me! :wink: And a lot of great schools DO take considerable work experience into account, so don't worry! If they don't take you, it means that you're a better fit for somewhere else.

Finally got the makeup smudges washed off, Robin, but I still smell like her perfume. Oh well, could be worse. :lol:

No, seriously... I appreciate you pointing it out. I re-read it and, :oops: ... I didn't mean to come off sounding sanctimonious, or that I was some bigwig (certainly not the case), so I am glad you pointed it out to me. I need to remind myself that it is tough to put a tone of voice on the internets.
I feel like I'm the guy with the non-funny comment at the table again. :)

I appreciate the kind words! And congrats on your day, by the way!!! It's a good start for a big week... Methinks you have good news in your future.

MANAGAMY:
The bolded statement explains why dating sites don't work, in my experience anyway.

I hope that I have good news in the pre-Christmas future. After the mammoth Thanksgiving bonanza with which I presented my family, a Duke-NYU Christmas will seem like small pickings to them. EDITed for clarity.
Last edited by CardinalRules on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:11 pm

robin600 wrote:
jackalope11 wrote:

Jackalope,
So far we are cycle buddies because our records are the same! That should not get you down because frankly I'm cool as hell!!!! lol. No really though, we will get in somewhere, even if we have to ride out every waitlist till the end of July. We can do it together! If all else fails we can pull a Watergate!

Good tidings are ahead, Robin... I can feel it! If not, I will go and buy the flashlights... :)

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:39 pm

Holy shitza!!! I just got asked to apply to be the commencement speaker at graduation this year. Huge deal only like 30 people are invited to apply and you have to be nominated by two profs...I'm excited!

Philaw

Postby Philaw » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:53 pm

robin600 wrote:Holy shitza!!! I just got asked to apply to be the commencement speaker at graduation this year. Huge deal only like 30 people are invited to apply and you have to be nominated by two profs...I'm excited!

Congrats!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:58 pm

robin600 wrote:Holy shitza!!! I just got asked to apply to be the commencement speaker at graduation this year. Huge deal only like 30 people are invited to apply and you have to be nominated by two profs...I'm excited!

Wow, that's lovely! It's really cool just to be asked; I would appreciate that honor, although I won't be going to my graduation so I actually couldn't do it.

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:18 pm

MrsTrucker: Wow!! Congrats Robin!! That is quite an honor!! :D

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:41 pm

Thanks guys! I'm submitting my app tomorrow, IDK how selection goes but the app. is pretty generic. I used my PS to explain more about me!!! Yay for LS PS!!!!

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:48 pm

Oh shit! I just realized on my LS PS I forgot a period at the end of a sentence (with my eyes it's hard to tell if they're there or not). Fuck, am I screwed? shit I think I might have spelled onward as on ward too in one addendum. GODDAMMIT!!!! someone tell me i'm ok, but be realistic, am I fucked?

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:13 pm

robin600 wrote:Oh shit! I just realized on my LS PS I forgot a period at the end of a sentence (with my eyes it's hard to tell if they're there or not). Fuck, am I screwed? shit I think I might have spelled onward as on ward too in one addendum. GODDAMMIT!!!! someone tell me i'm ok, but be realistic, am I fucked?

MrsTrucker: Relax, hon. As much as people freak about those things, I think Adcomms are human too, and understand a few mistakes. To be honest, with as many as they read, I am sure their eyes skip over things like that. Breathe!! :D

sckon

Postby sckon » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:15 pm

TruckerD wrote:
robin600 wrote:Oh shit! I just realized on my LS PS I forgot a period at the end of a sentence (with my eyes it's hard to tell if they're there or not). Fuck, am I screwed? shit I think I might have spelled onward as on ward too in one addendum. GODDAMMIT!!!! someone tell me i'm ok, but be realistic, am I fucked?

MrsTrucker: Relax, hon. As much as people freak about those things, I think Adcomms are human too, and understand a few mistakes. To be honest, with as many as they read, I am sure their eyes skip over things like that. Breathe!! :D

I am ruining your thread and visiting form the pessimism thread. They dont look over these things and ding everyone who makes a punctuation mistake.

/I kid
//or not...
///slashies

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:22 pm

sckon wrote:
TruckerD wrote:

I am ruining your thread and visiting form the pessimism thread. They dont look over these things and ding everyone who makes a punctuation mistake.

/I kid
//or not...
///slashies

MrsTrucker: Just so you know Sckon, we greet all those from the other side with hugs, hot cocoa and cookies :D (((HUGS)))

Last edited by TruckerD on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philaw

Postby Philaw » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:22 pm

robin600 wrote:Thanks guys! I'm submitting my app tomorrow, IDK how selection goes but the app. is pretty generic. I used my PS to explain more about me!!! Yay for LS PS!!!!

Seriously, Robin. I think they understand typos. If you were obviously illiterate, they would probably look at it negatively. Forgetting a period? Not likely. It's not like they are going to read your PS, be like "Great softs, wow, she was blind had to undergo multiple surgeries, and STILL got a 4.0, but oooh, Bill, look here. No period. Throw it in the trash! For Christs sake, she forgot a PERIOD!"

I understand, but once you get a couple of acceptances, you'll relax.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:34 pm

Philaw wrote:
robin600 wrote:Thanks guys! I'm submitting my app tomorrow, IDK how selection goes but the app. is pretty generic. I used my PS to explain more about me!!! Yay for LS PS!!!!

Seriously, Robin. I think they understand typos. If you were obviously illiterate, they would probably look at it negatively. Forgetting a period? Not likely. It's not like they are going to read your PS, be like "Great softs, wow, she was blind had to undergo multiple surgeries, and STILL got a 4.0, but oooh, Bill, look here. No period. Throw it in the trash! For Christs sake, she forgot a PERIOD!"

I understand, but once you get a couple of acceptances, you'll relax.

+1000000. Your personal story is amazing, Robin, and any adcoms who think it less worthwhile than a period frankly don't deserve to have you at their school. FWIW, I know someone from last year's cycle who got into HLS with 2 typos in their PS. :D

And you're a she? I've been terrible at guessing TLS gender, but I'm really amazed considering your jocular responses to me earlier today. :wink:

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:36 pm

Oh, and MrsTrucker, I've been wondering about the resemblance between D and King Mithridates?? Unless it's a personal thing between the two of you, of course.

(Please don't interpret my earlier comment on my username as criticizing marriage or anything. It's just that I enjoy being single right now, and so do my IOs for that matter. Hope that you're not offended!)

EDIT: Your images are probably encouraging people to join the other side so that they can defect and be rewarded with those delicious cookies! Aaaahhhh...

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:57 pm

managamy wrote:Oh, and MrsTrucker, I've been wondering about the resemblance between D and King Mithridates?? Unless it's a personal thing between the two of you, of course.

(Please don't interpret my earlier comment on my username as criticizing marriage or anything. It's just that I enjoy being single right now, and so do my IOs for that matter. Hope that you're not offended!)

EDIT: Your images are probably encouraging people to join the other side so that they can defect and be rewarded with those delicious cookies! Aaaahhhh...

MrsTrucker: LOL, no I'm not offended at all. I was joking earlier about y'all being naughty ;)

How do you mean resemblance? King Mithridates is D's name on LSN.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:00 am

TruckerD wrote:
managamy wrote:Oh, and MrsTrucker, I've been wondering about the resemblance between D and King Mithridates?? Unless it's a personal thing between the two of you, of course.

MrsTrucker: LOL, no I'm not offended at all. I was joking earlier about y'all being naughty ;)

How do you mean resemblance? King Mithridates is D's name on LSN.

I was wondering why he chose it?? Ancient Persian royalty does stand out a bit, you know. :wink:

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:06 am

managamy wrote:
I was wondering why he chose it?? Ancient Persian royalty does stand out a bit, you know. :wink:

MrsTrucker: Okay on the phone now with him (he's been waiting for someone to ask this lol)

I actually took it from my favorite poem, A.E. Housman's "Terence, This is Stupid Stuff". If you read the poem, you will see that the reference is a bit ironic for my profile, as I haven't had any doses of bad news yet. ;) I stand ready for them, LOL :lol:

That's all I got from him for tonight. He's asleep now. :D

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:08 am

TruckerD wrote:
managamy wrote:

MrsTrucker: Okay on the phone now with him (he's been waiting for someone to ask this lol)

I actually took it from my favorite poem, A.E. Housman's "Terence, This is Stupid Stuff". If you read the poem, you will see that the reference is a bit ironic for my profile, as I haven't had any doses of bad news yet. ;) I stand ready for them, LOL :lol:

Wow, how cool. I'll have to look up the poem! Thanks for asking!

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:10 am

managamy wrote:
TruckerD wrote:
managamy wrote:

Wow, how cool. I'll have to look up the poem! Thanks for asking!

MrsTrucker: No problemo :D

Philaw

Postby Philaw » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:14 am

How's it goin' tonight for you guys? Me? I'm procrastinating on finals, drinking some good strong coffee, and listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd. Interestingly enough, I got another letter of rejection tonight (it was at my parent's house for about a week, and I didn't know) but I actually feel much better. Now that the decisions are starting to free flow in more (even though nothing good so far), I still feel better about it. All things work out for the best, this is a lesson I've learned in life, so even if I didn't get in ANYWHERE this cycle, it can only lead to better things later on (No, this is not Optimist Propaganda, this has ALWAYS been true for me.). Anyway, hope everything is great with all of you guys!

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:21 am

Philaw wrote:How's it goin' tonight for you guys? Me? I'm procrastinating on finals, drinking some good strong coffee, and listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd. Interestingly enough, I got another letter of rejection tonight (it was at my parent's house for about a week, and I didn't know) but I actually feel much better. Now that the decisions are starting to free flow in more (even though nothing good so far), I still feel better about it. All things work out for the best, this is a lesson I've learned in life, so even if I didn't get in ANYWHERE this cycle, it can only lead to better things later on (No, this is not Optimist Propaganda, this has ALWAYS been true for me.). Anyway, hope everything is great with all of you guys!

MrsTrucker: Sounds like you have a good outlook on things. Just remember to keep that up! You will get into somewhere this cycle, I know it. :D (((HUGS)))

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:21 am

I was wondering what managamy stood for!

Mrs. Trucker, Can I have some cookies and cocoa too? My family took a toll on me this weekend. :(
(P.S. interesting poem.. tell Mr. Trucker he has good taste.)

Robin.... I can't believe you forgot the period. *shakes head in disappointment*
(Totally kidding!!! :P )

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:25 am

jaskat wrote:I was wondering what managamy stood for!

Mrs. Trucker, Can I have some cookies and cocoa too? My family took a toll on me this weekend. :(
(P.S. interesting poem.. tell Mr. Trucker he has good taste.)

Robin.... I can't believe you forgot the period. *shakes head in disappointment*
(Totally kidding!!! :P )

MrsTrucker: Of course!! I will sneak some peppermint schnapps into the cocoa for you (just don't tell anyone, I could get in trouble lol)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”