USS: Optimism

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CardinalRules

Re: USS: Optimism

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:47 pm

jackalope11 wrote:Yeah, don't you love that moment when you're in the middle of explaining the joke, and you know nobody is getting it... so you inevitably try to talk faster to explain it. Never freaking works. :)

My favorite is the look on everyone's faces as you explain... :? :shock: :roll: :| Or a variation thereof.

And the look on one's own face: some combination of :oops: and :evil:

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:33 pm

managamy wrote:Congratulations Jaskat!! Doesn't it feel great to receive your first acceptance? I was really pleased when I got into my first school, even though it also was a safety. It's a wonderful sensation to know--and know before Christmas--that you will definitely have somewhere to go next fall.

MrsTrucker: Thanks for the cheery advice! I've started to dislike weekends during the admissions process, which is not a healthy sentiment. It's good to remember that they're supposed to be fun! I'm going to do some reading today, as well as Christmas shopping.

(And of course stroking / caressing my avatar, if it doesn't offend Philaw's sensibilities. I thought that women generally liked being stroked, but I tend to enjoy the stroking even more than they enjoy receiving it--including in real life. Hahaha.)

Why does this remind me of Lenny from Of Mice and Men? :P

Thanks for the congrats guys!

As for the joke conversation, I don't think I can join in since I'm always perfectly hysterical. *Can feel the eye rolls*

Philaw

Postby Philaw » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:38 pm

jaskat wrote:
managamy wrote:Congratulations Jaskat!! Doesn't it feel great to receive your first acceptance? I was really pleased when I got into my first school, even though it also was a safety. It's a wonderful sensation to know--and know before Christmas--that you will definitely have somewhere to go next fall.

MrsTrucker: Thanks for the cheery advice! I've started to dislike weekends during the admissions process, which is not a healthy sentiment. It's good to remember that they're supposed to be fun! I'm going to do some reading today, as well as Christmas shopping.

(And of course stroking / caressing my avatar, if it doesn't offend Philaw's sensibilities. I thought that women generally liked being stroked, but I tend to enjoy the stroking even more than they enjoy receiving it--including in real life. Hahaha.)

As for the joke conversation, I don't think I can join in since I'm always perfectly hysterical. *Can feel the eye rolls*

managamy- It was "petting" that offended my sensibilities, not stroking...I've spent a lot of time around the criminal element while volunteering, and some of the sex offenders there have the same type of lexicon....one guy wanted to put a female staff that worked at a particular facility under his bed in a box and pull her out and "pet her" as he pleased....true story. So when words like that are used in reference to a woman, it invokes that kind of image to me.

But yeah, congratulations Jaskat!

Philaw

Postby Philaw » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:39 pm

Oh yeah, and "Tell me about the rabbits George, tell me about the rabbits....And I get to tend to the rabits, don't I George?"....

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:42 pm

jaskat wrote:

Ugh. You're not the first person to draw that analogy to my attention. I hope that the resemblance begins and ends there, however.

:oops: Hey, at least I'm honest about it, though.

And Philaw, what a truly horrible story. "Petting" is forever banned from my vocabulary.

So today I've been compared to a retarded murderer and a sex offender. I can't believe that I'm on the "optimism" thread! :P

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:44 pm

LOL Philaw! That's one of the lines I was thinking of. Of Mice and Men was the only Steinbeck novel I could tolerate, and it was all because of how pitiful Lenny was.

P.S. Managamy, Lenny was also considered a sex offender of sorts. :P

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:47 pm

jaskat wrote:LOL Philaw! That's one of the lines I was thinking of. Of Mice and Men was the only Steinbeck novel I could tolerate, and it was all because of how pitiful Lenny was.

Great. Two sex offenders, one fictional and one real. If MrsTrucker starts comparing me to more reprehensible characters, I don't know what I'll do. :oops:

Philaw

Postby Philaw » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:49 pm

managamy wrote:
jaskat wrote:LOL Philaw! That's one of the lines I was thinking of. Of Mice and Men was the only Steinbeck novel I could tolerate, and it was all because of how pitiful Lenny was.

Great. Two sex offenders, one fictional and one real. If MrsTrucker starts comparing me to more reprehensible characters, I don't know what I'll do. :oops:

I was going to as what could possibly be more reprehensible....then I decided it was a bad idea. Then I thought it was a good idea to tell you that I was thinking about saying it, but decided not to, as it may be a bad idea, and now I'm thinking that it may have been a bad idea to mention it at all....lol

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:50 pm

It's all Philaw's fault!!!! Assemble an angry mob and make him walk the plank! Mutiny! Viva la Revolucion!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:54 pm

MrsTrucker: See what these supposedly optimistic people do in your absence? They compare helpless HLS admits to sex offenders, murderers, and other dregs of society. :lol:

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:55 pm

Philaw wrote:
managamy wrote:

I was going to as what could possibly be more reprehensible....then I decided it was a bad idea. Then I thought it was a good idea to tell you that I was thinking about saying it, but decided not to, as it may be a bad idea, and now I'm thinking that it may have been a bad idea to mention it at all....lol

I meant "more" as in "further" or "additional," not "more" as in "worse." To me, sex offenders are possibly worse than some murderers, since they ruin a person's life without ending it. The victim has to live with the psychological damage forever.

Philaw

Postby Philaw » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:57 pm

8)
jaskat wrote:It's all Philaw's fault!!!! Assemble an angry mob and make him walk the plank! Mutiny! Viva la Revolucion!

Pulling out a quote from Grover Cleveland, "This ship of democracy, that has weathered all storms, may fail due to the mutiny of its members!" I think that's how it goes.

That being said, don't make me whoop your ass like lenny did that little dude with the vaseline-filled glove.

I can quote Grover Cleveland at the drop of a hat. And Will Ferrel. 8)

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:58 pm

managamy wrote:MrsTrucker: See what these supposedly optimistic people do in your absence? They compare helpless HLS admits to sex offenders, murderers, and other dregs of society. :lol:

Maybe I'm making the wrong person walk the plank...

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:59 pm

Philaw wrote:8)
jaskat wrote:It's all Philaw's fault!!!! Assemble an angry mob and make him walk the plank! Mutiny! Viva la Revolucion!

Pulling out a quote from Grover Cleveland, "This ship of democracy, that has weathered all storms, may fail due to the mutiny of its members!" I think that's how it goes.

That being said, don't make me whoop your ass like lenny did that little dude with the vaseline-filled glove.

Did you list that as a skill in your law school app CV?

Philaw

Postby Philaw » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:02 pm

jaskat wrote:
Philaw wrote:8)

Did you list that as a skill in your law school app CV?

Nope, but I did pull out a quote from St. Augustine. I thought it was tactfully done. I totally should have pulled out the friendly crack dealer quote though, I probably would have made Georgetown. DAMN! Stupid, stupid, stupid! :x

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:06 pm

jaskat wrote:
managamy wrote:MrsTrucker: See what these supposedly optimistic people do in your absence? They compare helpless HLS admits to sex offenders, murderers, and other dregs of society. :lol:

Haha, I was being deliberately self-mocking for your amusement.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:08 pm

managamy wrote:
jaskat wrote:

Well what if I was deliberately ignoring that in order to have a reason to make you walk the plank? (Also for my amusement) :P

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:23 pm

Checking in. I just watched a special on Charles Manson. I'm optimistic that he's a creeper!

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:27 pm

You're optimistic but are you convinced?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:30 pm

jaskat wrote:
managamy wrote:
jaskat wrote:

Well what if I was deliberately ignoring that in order to have a reason to make you walk the plank? (Also for my amusement) :P

The amusement is what counts! :D

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:30 pm

HEEEEELP I need you optimists to help me
I am jetlagged , unable to fall asleep though it's nighttime over here and can't stop thinking about law school admissions. I feel so bad for not having heard back from most schools and am seriously starting to doubt whether I will get into any of my top choices

USS optimism save me from drowning :cry:

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:34 pm

SanBun wrote:HEEEEELP I need you optimists to help me
I am jetlagged , unable to fall asleep though it's nighttime over here and can't stop thinking about law school admissions. I feel so bad for not having heard back from most schools and am seriously starting to doubt whether I will get into any of my top choices

Your amazing personal history is going to get you a lot of attention and probably some money; don't worry. :D

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:42 pm

Last edited by calicocat on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:47 pm

Oli wrote:I don't feel like searching...how were you compared to a retarded murderer managamy?

Haha, sometimes I think of comparing you to Yoshida Shigeru (in a flattering way). You have the curious distinction of being the last poster on both the pessimism and the optimism threads. Congratulations on the juggling act!

Something that I said understandably reminded other posters of Lenny in Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men." Nice, eh?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:48 pm

SanBun wrote:HEEEEELP I need you optimists to help me

You are saved SanBun, we will sweat it out together :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”