USS: Optimism Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Philaw

Bronze

USS: Optimism

Post by Philaw » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:07 pm

"I'm thinking about being a crack dealer....not one of thos mean crack dealers, you know? A nice one. Like, 'Hey guys, anybody want to buy some crack?...

-Will Ferrell, Talladega Nights

So amidst deferrals, rejections, and anxiety, there has been a lot of pessimistic, negative, frankly discouraging posts about what may be happening at our schools of choice. This is the place where you can get a glimmer of sunshine to warm your day. What is the reason that YOUR acceptance is not yet here, although it is definately in the future?

- Georgetown has taken so long on the 12/01 Decision Rendered batch because it is taking the dean quite a while to write all of our individualized notes on the acceptances. -From JonB in Gtown 2013/(2014)

:D

jackalope11

Bronze

Re: USS: Optimism

Post by jackalope11 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:20 pm

All of the schools to which I have applied, where my numbers are less than stellar, are holding off on accepting me until they can accept enough people to pad their USNWR rankings... THEN, due to my totally awesome PS, I will not only be granted entry, but also that full-ride that they reserve for people who discover the cure for some terrible disease or sail around the world solo at the age of 7.

I'm pretty sure that this is what has happened to me, though I would be interested to see if anyone else has had the same experience so far. :D

jackalope11

Bronze

Post by jackalope11 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:21 pm

The Will Ferrell quote cracked me up, by the way...

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:22 pm

Last edited by calicocat on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Philaw

Bronze

Post by Philaw » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:26 pm

Oli wrote:
jackalope11 wrote:All of the schools to which I have applied, where my numbers are less than stellar, are holding off on accepting me until they can accept enough people to pad their USNWR rankings... THEN, due to my totally awesome PS, I will not only be granted entry, but also that full-ride that they reserve for people who discover the cure for some terrible disease or sail around the world solo at the age of 7.

I'm pretty sure that this is what has happened to me, though I would be interested to see if anyone else has had the same experience so far. :D
+1 you sailed around the world at age 7 too?????? :P
I heard that first, beginning at the age of 4, jackalope began reconstructing an exact replica of a Portugese Carrack which he/she sailed around the world in at the age of 17.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:29 pm

Philaw wrote:What is the reason that YOUR acceptance is not yet here
Nobody likes me enough?

Philaw

Bronze

Post by Philaw » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:32 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Philaw wrote:What is the reason that YOUR acceptance is not yet here
Nobody likes me enough?
BOOOO.....get off my ship.

jackalope11

Bronze

Post by jackalope11 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:33 pm

Philaw wrote:
Oli wrote:
jackalope11 wrote:All of the schools to which I have applied, where my numbers are less than stellar, are holding off on accepting me until they can accept enough people to pad their USNWR rankings... THEN, due to my totally awesome PS, I will not only be granted entry, but also that full-ride that they reserve for people who discover the cure for some terrible disease or sail around the world solo at the age of 7.

I heard that first, beginning at the age of 4, jackalope began reconstructing an exact replica of a Portugese Carrack which he/she sailed around the world in at the age of 17.

How did you know I was a he/she? Do you think I shoud have included that in my PS?

I started out trying to build a sloop... but really thought the carrack would present more of a challenge. Nothing like trying to furl some sails while holding on to a giant effing tiller, right?

Coincidence of all coincidences... it was named the USS: Optimism. :oops: Ouch... I'm usually good for a better punchline, but it's been a long admissions cycle already, ya dig?

jackalope11

Bronze

Post by jackalope11 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:34 pm

Oli wrote:

C-R-A-P! I used that for how I would make the school more diverse... Great, now if you tell me that you've applied to top law schools too, we're both screwed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Philaw

Bronze

Post by Philaw » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:35 pm

jackalope11 wrote:
Philaw wrote:
Oli wrote:

How did you know I was a he/she? Do you think I shoud have included that in my PS?

I started out trying to build a sloop... but really thought the carrack would present more of a challenge. Nothing like trying to furl some sails while holding on to a giant effing tiller, right?

Coincidence of all coincidences... it was named the USS: Optimism. :oops: Ouch... I'm usually good for a better punchline, but it's been a long admissions cycle already, ya dig?
You absolutely should have mentioned that...You'd get some serious URM boost.

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:36 pm

Exactly, they use the high # to boost their rankings, and reserve the rest of spots for special polyglots and globetrotters like me, who took the LSAT in their third language and due to a very unique background will contribute significantly to diversity, enhancing the overall experience of the entire class in addition to spreading far across the globe the glory of the school by virtue of being an international baller.
Wow, this is the best i've ever felt in the past 3 weeks.

jackalope11

Bronze

Post by jackalope11 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:43 pm

SanBun wrote:Exactly, they use the high # to boost their rankings, and reserve the rest of spots for special polyglots and globetrotters like me, who took the LSAT in their third language and due to a very unique background will contribute significantly to diversity, enhancing the overall experience of the entire class in addition to spreading far across the globe the glory of the school by virtue of being an international baller.

I think whenever someone asks me in an interview: "So, where do you see yourself in five years?" I am now going to answer: "I either see myself as a mogul in the emerging polyglot market, or perhaps I will even become an international baller." Awesome.

(BTW, me too... I needed this to stop hitting refresh to read about all of the other acceptances everyone else is getting while I still sit here and listen to the sound of crickets chirping.)

Philaw

Bronze

Post by Philaw » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:44 pm

Duke has put me under review twice now with no decision rendered simply because the Dean can't adequately express how perfect I am for their program in every way, despite my mediocre hard factors. The first UR was when he had to scrap the first draft, and he is currently working on the second draft on his personal time while double-checking with the English Dept. to make sure it is written well enough. They couldn't put DR until that was done, as Duke has to e-mail me the same day. I understand.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Philaw

Bronze

Post by Philaw » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:46 pm

jackalope11 wrote:
SanBun wrote:Exactly, they use the high # to boost their rankings, and reserve the rest of spots for special polyglots and globetrotters like me, who took the LSAT in their third language and due to a very unique background will contribute significantly to diversity, enhancing the overall experience of the entire class in addition to spreading far across the globe the glory of the school by virtue of being an international baller.

I think whenever someone asks me in an interview: "So, where do you see yourself in five years?" I am now going to answer: "I either see myself as a mogul in the emerging polyglot market, or perhaps I will even become an international baller." Awesome.

(BTW, me too... I needed this to stop hitting refresh to read about all of the other acceptances everyone else is getting while I still sit here and listen to the sound of crickets chirping.)

:lol:

How does one crack the international baller market? It sounds interesting!

jackalope11

Bronze

Post by jackalope11 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:50 pm

Philaw wrote:Duke has put me under review twice now with no decision rendered simply because the Dean can't adequately express how perfect I am for their program in every way, despite my mediocre hard factors. The first UR was when he had to scrap the first draft, and he is currently working on the second draft on his personal time while double-checking with the English Dept. to make sure it is written well enough. They couldn't put DR until that was done, as Duke has to e-mail me the same day. I understand.

I totally think this is accurate. Writing stuff is HARD.

I know, I've had to write like 5,000 essays in the past two months, all about how awesome I am. And, even with all of THAT material to play with, it was tough.

Imagine how hard it must be for the Dean to come up with the adequate words to express your own awesomeness, when your PS was already so well written that all of the high points have been taken.

PhiLaw, it's in the bag!

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:50 pm

Philaw wrote:
jackalope11 wrote:

easy. live in a politically unstable country and flee once chaos ensues. You will be forced to learn multiple foreign languages and become proficient in numerous cultures.

or: Just go out into the world and see where life takes you.

jackalope11

Bronze

Post by jackalope11 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:51 pm

Philaw wrote:
jackalope11 wrote:

I KNOW! I think you have to go to LS first though. Maybe SanBun can clue us in? (Nevermind... looks like I was too late)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:57 pm

jackalope11 wrote:
I KNOW! I think you have to go to LS first though. Maybe SanBun can clue us in? (Nevermind... looks like I was too late)
the market is becoming more competitive by the minute, but I will be offering apprenticeships soon. In fact, they offered me a show similar to donald trump's the apprentice. It's a back up in case ls doesn't work out.

jackalope11

Bronze

Post by jackalope11 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:04 pm

SanBun wrote:
jackalope11 wrote:
the market is becoming more competitive by the minute, but I will be offering apprenticeships soon. In fact, they offered me a show similar to donald trump's the apprentice. It's a back up in case ls doesn't work out.

Well, let me know when the market is flooded... I think it's pretty obvious (from when I decided to apply for LS) that I would prefer to make sure that jobs are hard to come by before I put myself out there, you know?

Is that too pessimistic for this thread? I kid, I kid. (Best Triumph impersonation)

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:48 pm

Last edited by calicocat on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:17 am

You know, I thought this thread would tow the HMS: FREAKING OUT back to the shore of sanity, and that is NOT what is happening. :evil:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:22 am

Philaw! I love how you used the ship analogy like me!!! and I heart your optimism!!!! i heart ships and optimism.

Right now I'm watching Glory Road, very inspiring and optimistic!

jackalope11

Bronze

Post by jackalope11 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:40 am

robin600 wrote:Philaw! I love how you used the ship analogy like me!!! and I heart your optimism!!!! i heart ships and optimism.

All due respect, but I believe it was the mighty Jackalope and Oli that made the first ship references on the thread... although I will give a hearty +1 for the use of "carrack" in a sentence to the esteemed Philaw esq. (2013).

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:52 am

jackalope11 wrote:
robin600 wrote:Philaw! I love how you used the ship analogy like me!!! and I heart your optimism!!!! i heart ships and optimism.

All due respect, but I believe it was the mighty Jackalope and Oli that made the first ship references on the thread... although I will give a hearty +1 for the use of "carrack" in a sentence to the esteemed Philaw esq. (2013).
Awww shit, I thought i was an original trend starter, my bad!!! Now I'm just a follower, but a proud follower!

ILoveClowns8

New

Post by ILoveClowns8 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:05 am

Just popping in to say that I consider myself to be on this boat, thanks for the boost in optimism.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”