Maryland 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rockstar4488

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby rockstar4488 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:38 am

I salute you for having the courage to move to Baltimore cold turkey. Please watch 'The Wire' for survival tips.

nit00

Postby nit00 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:42 am

rockstar4488 wrote:I salute you for having the courage to move to Baltimore cold turkey. Please watch 'The Wire' for survival tips.

LOL +1

Zaraa

Postby Zaraa » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:26 pm

@JD - thanks for the input!

@rock - I guess I have some iTunes downloading to do! :D But, I think I have my survival instincts honed already considering my current city has been paralyzed by barricades, tanks, RPGs, live fire and a fair portion of blood splattering over the last month. Baltimore looks pretty tame!

amclane

Postby amclane » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:48 pm

Hey does anyone know if there has been movement with the waitlist at all?

rachel.almaraz

Postby rachel.almaraz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:08 pm

I just miseed a call from Connie Beals at the admissions office. Tried to call back but she's out of the office until tomorrow. Her message said that she needed to talk to me about something "timely and important." I was accepted back in November and sent my seat deposit in at the beginning of the month. Is there any reason any of you can think of that they would need to talk to me asap? Am I freaking out for no reason?

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:11 pm

rachel.almaraz wrote:I just miseed a call from Connie Beals at the admissions office. Tried to call back but she's out of the office until tomorrow. Her message said that she needed to talk to me about something "timely and important." I was accepted back in November and sent my seat deposit in at the beginning of the month. Is there any reason any of you can think of that they would need to talk to me asap? Am I freaking out for no reason?

I'm sure it is just some sort of paperwork issue, maybe a bounced check or you are missing something they need to process your financial aid. They wouldn't be rescinding your acceptance or anything of that nature.

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:01 am

Anyone else got decison made today?

rachel.almaraz

Postby rachel.almaraz » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:13 am

insertclevernamehere wrote:
rachel.almaraz wrote:I just miseed a call from Connie Beals at the admissions office. Tried to call back but she's out of the office until tomorrow. Her message said that she needed to talk to me about something "timely and important." I was accepted back in November and sent my seat deposit in at the beginning of the month. Is there any reason any of you can think of that they would need to talk to me asap? Am I freaking out for no reason?

I'm sure it is just some sort of paperwork issue, maybe a bounced check or you are missing something they need to process your financial aid. They wouldn't be rescinding your acceptance or anything of that nature.

thanks! Just called back and it was good news! $5,000 grant!

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:41 am

a grant of 100 Grants!

jinkz

Postby jinkz » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:40 pm

has anyone heard anything about the preferred wait list and when they're going to start making decisions?

chruck

Postby chruck » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:03 pm

quote="jinkz"]has anyone heard anything about the preferred wait list and when they're going to start making decisions?[/quote]

There is a preferred wait list? Anyone know anything about this?

JRothman

Postby JRothman » Sat May 01, 2010 10:43 am

Yeah, there is a preferred waitlist-- I was on it, and was accepted into the Evening program about 2 weeks ago (I applied as Day, but then after some circumstances changed, i.e., I got a job, I petitioned to switch to evening). I signed a lease with the Charles Towers.. it's about a half mile from the school, but there's a supermarket literally downstairs. For me, running in from work in DC to class at night, it'll be mighty convenient to be be able to race in, grab something for dinner, and cook it.

Looking forward to meeting you all in the Fall!

jinkz

Postby jinkz » Sat May 01, 2010 4:28 pm

JRothman wrote:Yeah, there is a preferred waitlist-- I was on it, and was accepted into the Evening program about 2 weeks ago (I applied as Day, but then after some circumstances changed, i.e., I got a job, I petitioned to switch to evening). I signed a lease with the Charles Towers.. it's about a half mile from the school, but there's a supermarket literally downstairs. For me, running in from work in DC to class at night, it'll be mighty convenient to be be able to race in, grab something for dinner, and cook it.

do you know if there were different protocols for the evening vs day preferred waitlist? i had called them last week and they said they were not going to start calling people till the first week of may (im on the day waitlist)...im surprised they let you know so quick -_-

amclane

Postby amclane » Sat May 01, 2010 6:16 pm

JRothman wrote:Yeah, there is a preferred waitlist-- I was on it, and was accepted into the Evening program about 2 weeks ago (I applied as Day, but then after some circumstances changed, i.e., I got a job, I petitioned to switch to evening). I signed a lease with the Charles Towers.. it's about a half mile from the school, but there's a supermarket literally downstairs. For me, running in from work in DC to class at night, it'll be mighty convenient to be be able to race in, grab something for dinner, and cook it.

Congrats!!! I hope I'll be there with you, on the waitlist for evening still. Any tips to get off the waitlist?

jinkz

Postby jinkz » Sat May 01, 2010 8:35 pm

amclane, where you on the regular waitlist or the preferred watilist?

motownphilly

Postby motownphilly » Sat May 01, 2010 8:55 pm

UMB is absolutely within walking distance to federal hill. I walk it every day. Its around a mile, and takes 20 minutes tops. If you are seriously lazy, you can take the #1 bus, which runs up charles st and directly to the law school. It runs like 4 times an hour in the morning.

welcome to maryland law!

amclane

Postby amclane » Sat May 01, 2010 9:11 pm

oklahomabreakdown

Postby oklahomabreakdown » Wed May 05, 2010 9:03 pm

Has anyone looked at the laptop purchase program? The prices seem a bit steep, I know the Lenovo is a top of the line system, but I am finding computers with similiar stats for far less.

Zaraa

Postby Zaraa » Thu May 06, 2010 12:45 pm

Personally, I'll be buying outside of the laptop program. While the prices look similar to other resellers -/+$50 for the same model, I'd like to purchase the exact computer I'm comfortable spending countless hours working with. UMB makes it clear that IT services will only be available for those who buy within the program, however the services are minimal at best. I'm sure I can manage my own drop off/ pick up for maintenance.

barracudasix

Postby barracudasix » Fri May 07, 2010 7:16 am

anyone know when exactly the deadline is to accept financial aid packages?

jdhopeful23

Postby jdhopeful23 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:27 am

barracudasix wrote:anyone know when exactly the deadline is to accept financial aid packages?

Check to see when you received it... I believe they can technically revoke it 45 days after you receive it if you haven't yet accepted. I would call the financial aid office though to be sure.

rachel.almaraz

Postby rachel.almaraz » Tue May 11, 2010 10:40 am

jdhopeful23 wrote:
barracudasix wrote:anyone know when exactly the deadline is to accept financial aid packages?

Check to see when you received it... I believe they can technically revoke it 45 days after you receive it if you haven't yet accepted. I would call the financial aid office though to be sure.

This may be a stupid question so I apologize in advance. I am still riding out a waitlist at a different school but if not accepted, I fully plan on attending UMB this fall. If I accept the financial aid package today, would this cause any problems later down the road if I decided to attend a different law school?

oklahomabreakdown

Postby oklahomabreakdown » Tue May 11, 2010 9:07 pm

No, it will not cause any problems. In fact you are probably better off just accepting your awards and then withdrawing. (if necessary) Once you withdraw the school is responsible for sending back your aid. This is quite common and should be quite painless, barring a totally inept FA dept.

rachel.almaraz

Postby rachel.almaraz » Tue May 11, 2010 10:02 pm

oklahomabreakdown wrote:No, it will not cause any problems. In fact you are probably better off just accepting your awards and then withdrawing. (if necessary) Once you withdraw the school is responsible for sending back your aid. This is quite common and should be quite painless, barring a totally inept FA dept.

Thanks for the reply!

barracudasix

Postby barracudasix » Wed May 12, 2010 12:00 am

so just FYI: I talked to finaid and accepting loans on SURFS doesn't really bind you because A) you still have to fill out and send in a lot of paperwork before the gov't releases the money to your acct, and B) they won't be released until it's closer to the semester. also, you have all semester to return anything you don't want.

but (of course) since each package is different and contains different types of awards, each individual should call to confirm these things one way or the other.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”