Maryland 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
jdhopeful23
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby jdhopeful23 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:39 am

So I finally bugged the Admin. office enough to get someone to talk to me. Basically, it looks like there is one ONE kind of scholarship, the Leadership Scholarship. If you have not received information regarding your status fairly soon after your acceptance came, you are not being considered. Nor can you appeal that decision. There is no grant money, or additional scholarship money (even if you have a full ride from a peer school, apparently :? ).

If you look at the Leadership Scholars from past years on LSN, they have all really contributed significantly to their communities and shown leadership via public service. It looks like this is a little less numbers-based than most schools' scholarships. Doesn't help me, unfortunately, but good for them I suppose.

I hope that helps... The office is not very forthcoming with any of this info, but basically, regardless of your numbers or scholarships from other schools, expect nothing unless you are being considered for the Leadership Scholars program. Good Luck!

astro1819
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:18 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby astro1819 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:05 pm

jdhopeful23 wrote:So I finally bugged the Admin. office enough to get someone to talk to me. Basically, it looks like there is one ONE kind of scholarship, the Leadership Scholarship. If you have not received information regarding your status fairly soon after your acceptance came, you are not being considered. Nor can you appeal that decision. There is no grant money, or additional scholarship money (even if you have a full ride from a peer school, apparently :? ).

If you look at the Leadership Scholars from past years on LSN, they have all really contributed significantly to their communities and shown leadership via public service. It looks like this is a little less numbers-based than most schools' scholarships. Doesn't help me, unfortunately, but good for them I suppose.

I hope that helps... The office is not very forthcoming with any of this info, but basically, regardless of your numbers or scholarships from other schools, expect nothing unless you are being considered for the Leadership Scholars program. Good Luck!


TITCR. I was offered the opportunity to interview as a finalist, the notice came a couple months after my initial acceptance. I had to RSVP for the event by today, so there may not be any more offers going out (but I'm in no way positive of this). I turned it down, since I'll be attending another school. Best of luck to everyone else!

User avatar
elysiansmiles
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby elysiansmiles » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:43 am

Is anyone thinking about going to the DC Admitted Students open house? I went to the Admitted Students day and figure I'm probably set for info, but it might be nice to meet some people if others are going.

On a related note, I'm figuring that I'll commute to Baltimore from Silver Spring where I live (in Maryland on the very northern tip of DC). People keep looking at me like I'm nuts, but its only a 40 minute drive, and I just can't move because of where my fiance works. Is anyone else in the same kind of position? I would love for someone to tell me I'm not crazy. People have way longer commutes to work in the DC area than this, I figure it will be annoying but that I'm not insane. Agreed? Or am I delusional?

User avatar
nit00
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby nit00 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:29 pm

elysiansmiles wrote:On a related note, I'm figuring that I'll commute to Baltimore from Silver Spring where I live (in Maryland on the very northern tip of DC). People keep looking at me like I'm nuts, but its only a 40 minute drive, and I just can't move because of where my fiance works. Is anyone else in the same kind of position? I would love for someone to tell me I'm not crazy. People have way longer commutes to work in the DC area than this, I figure it will be annoying but that I'm not insane. Agreed? Or am I delusional?


I used to commute from the Farragut North area in downtown DC to Baltimore on the Penn line MARC train. I would recommend looking into that. There is barely anybody on it, so you have your seat to yourself. It also gives you a good time to get some reading in. The only issue would be getting from Penn Station to the law school campus. That would be long walk. You could look into the Camden Line MARC, since it would put you close to the law school, but the times it runs aren't as good or often. The commute on the beltway by car, I think, is horrendous. Not sure how a SS to Baltimore commute would be, but you would be on the beltway for a some of it, and I would think that would wear on you after a while.

User avatar
brittainyb
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby brittainyb » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:37 pm

elysiansmiles wrote:Is anyone thinking about going to the DC Admitted Students open house? I went to the Admitted Students day and figure I'm probably set for info, but it might be nice to meet some people if others are going.

On a related note, I'm figuring that I'll commute to Baltimore from Silver Spring where I live (in Maryland on the very northern tip of DC). People keep looking at me like I'm nuts, but its only a 40 minute drive, and I just can't move because of where my fiance works. Is anyone else in the same kind of position? I would love for someone to tell me I'm not crazy. People have way longer commutes to work in the DC area than this, I figure it will be annoying but that I'm not insane. Agreed? Or am I delusional?


what did you think about the asd on saturday?

User avatar
elysiansmiles
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby elysiansmiles » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:22 pm

brittainyb wrote:
what did you think about the asd on saturday?


I thought it was a little light on things to do, especially for people coming from far away (glad I didn't have to travel extra for it!). I wish they had had a real question and answer session instead of the weird forum thing that wasn't super informative for me. I don't know what I was expecting really, but I'm glad I went. I think they could have done more with it. I liked the free t-shirt a lot. This is the only one of these things that I've gone to, though.

User avatar
Snowdrifter
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby Snowdrifter » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:24 pm

So there wasn't a panel with students and/or faculty? or was there... What is this forum you speak of?

Any other impressions? Just curious.

User avatar
elysiansmiles
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby elysiansmiles » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:09 am

Snowdrifter wrote:So there wasn't a panel with students and/or faculty? or was there... What is this forum you speak of?

Any other impressions? Just curious.



There was a faculty panel, but all the questions were prepared beforehand, so it wasn't an audience participation kind of thing. One of the deans asked the faculty the questions, but none of them were super interesting or relevant to me in particular (I'm sure it would have been more interesting should I have been interested in Health law or International law, but I'm not really drawn too strongly to either of those things). They had a lot of time to talk to students and faculty, which was really nice because both groups were available for the whole day.
All in all it was nice, I'm glad I went. The food was good. I sent my deposit in on yesterday so I guess they impressed me at least a little! :)

User avatar
SportsFanatic
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:01 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby SportsFanatic » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:16 am

Withdrew last night... Good luck everyone.

User avatar
Zojirushi
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby Zojirushi » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:24 am

Withdrew this morning. Enjoy guys!

apmurphy636
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby apmurphy636 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:03 pm

Anyone else disappointed with the Admissions people? I emailed them last week and scheduled a guided tour for this Thursday and today I get an email saying they can't give a guided tour now.

jillybeans688
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby jillybeans688 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:34 pm

Withdrew today. Good luck everyone!

Nantucket2009
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:04 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby Nantucket2009 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:09 pm

Withdrew late last week...hope this helps a part-timer! Good luck ya'll!

User avatar
MrSoOoFLy
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:47 am

Eh I guess I'll put my seat deposit in next week while I ride the wait lists =\

Anyone take away anything substantial from the ASD a few weeks back? I left during lunch cuz I thought it was kinda pointless.

b.j.
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby b.j. » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:19 am

I finally got a "decision made" today. I didn't get any e-mails, although I applied PT. Would that have anything to do with it? Or do you get the e-mails if you are accepted a few days later?

User avatar
MrSoOoFLy
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:07 am

b.j. wrote:I finally got a "decision made" today. I didn't get any e-mails, although I applied PT. Would that have anything to do with it? Or do you get the e-mails if you are accepted a few days later?


honestly i never got an acceptance email... i got an email with the header: "Maryland Law Facebook Invitation"... and the contents of the email read: "Congratulations on your admission to the University of Maryland School of Law. We have prepared a Facebook group specifically to introduce admitted students to our programs and services, as well as to the vibrant city of Baltimore. We hope you will find the information posted helpful and we encourage you to access it often."

Then I called the school and asked if I was admitted or not and they said they couldn't release that information to me and I would receive my decision via snail mail in a week or so... 8 days later I got the admission letter.

But maybe my situation is a rarity...

b.j.
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby b.j. » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:07 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:
b.j. wrote:I finally got a "decision made" today. I didn't get any e-mails, although I applied PT. Would that have anything to do with it? Or do you get the e-mails if you are accepted a few days later?


honestly i never got an acceptance email... i got an email with the header: "Maryland Law Facebook Invitation"... and the contents of the email read: "Congratulations on your admission to the University of Maryland School of Law. We have prepared a Facebook group specifically to introduce admitted students to our programs and services, as well as to the vibrant city of Baltimore. We hope you will find the information posted helpful and we encourage you to access it often."

Then I called the school and asked if I was admitted or not and they said they couldn't release that information to me and I would receive my decision via snail mail in a week or so... 8 days later I got the admission letter.

But maybe my situation is a rarity...



How soon after your status change did you receive that e-mail? And did you apply FT or PT? Also, did anything else in the status checker change? Did they add anything like a spot for a deposit receipt form?

sunnygirl
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:20 am

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby sunnygirl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:11 pm

withdraw yesterday, kinda disappointed by the Admissions Office. The staff is not nice.......
Anyway, I was told I couldn't get any scholarship, and no appeal was allowed. They didn't even bother to send me the decision.......

User avatar
MrSoOoFLy
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:30 pm

b.j. wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:
b.j. wrote:I finally got a "decision made" today. I didn't get any e-mails, although I applied PT. Would that have anything to do with it? Or do you get the e-mails if you are accepted a few days later?


honestly i never got an acceptance email... i got an email with the header: "Maryland Law Facebook Invitation"... and the contents of the email read: "Congratulations on your admission to the University of Maryland School of Law. We have prepared a Facebook group specifically to introduce admitted students to our programs and services, as well as to the vibrant city of Baltimore. We hope you will find the information posted helpful and we encourage you to access it often."

Then I called the school and asked if I was admitted or not and they said they couldn't release that information to me and I would receive my decision via snail mail in a week or so... 8 days later I got the admission letter.

But maybe my situation is a rarity...



How soon after your status change did you receive that e-mail? And did you apply FT or PT? Also, did anything else in the status checker change? Did they add anything like a spot for a deposit receipt form?


FT... went complete feb 11.. i got the facebook invite march 8... i never used the status checker... I'm looking at it now and:

Decision Letter mailed 03/15/2010
facebook invitation 03/08/2010

Apparently they invited me to their FB group first before sending out my decision letter..
sunnygirl wrote:withdraw yesterday, kinda disappointed by the Admissions Office. The staff is not nice.......
Anyway, I was told I couldn't get any scholarship, and no appeal was allowed. They didn't even bother to send me the decision.......


im in the same exact situation.. they're really quite rude.. I think I'm going to withdraw before the weekend is over.

User avatar
brittainyb
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby brittainyb » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:16 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:
b.j. wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:
b.j. wrote:I finally got a "decision made" today. I didn't get any e-mails, although I applied PT. Would that have anything to do with it? Or do you get the e-mails if you are accepted a few days later?


honestly i never got an acceptance email... i got an email with the header: "Maryland Law Facebook Invitation"... and the contents of the email read: "Congratulations on your admission to the University of Maryland School of Law. We have prepared a Facebook group specifically to introduce admitted students to our programs and services, as well as to the vibrant city of Baltimore. We hope you will find the information posted helpful and we encourage you to access it often."

Then I called the school and asked if I was admitted or not and they said they couldn't release that information to me and I would receive my decision via snail mail in a week or so... 8 days later I got the admission letter.

But maybe my situation is a rarity...



How soon after your status change did you receive that e-mail? And did you apply FT or PT? Also, did anything else in the status checker change? Did they add anything like a spot for a deposit receipt form?


FT... went complete feb 11.. i got the facebook invite march 8... i never used the status checker... I'm looking at it now and:

Decision Letter mailed 03/15/2010
facebook invitation 03/08/2010

Apparently they invited me to their FB group first before sending out my decision letter..
sunnygirl wrote:withdraw yesterday, kinda disappointed by the Admissions Office. The staff is not nice.......
Anyway, I was told I couldn't get any scholarship, and no appeal was allowed. They didn't even bother to send me the decision.......


im in the same exact situation.. they're really quite rude.. I think I'm going to withdraw before the weekend is over.


me too. they told me they exhausted all of their finaid funds early, even though i sent in my fafsa and all other documents as soon as it was available. i told them that i am a lot less likely to choose maryland over other schools if i am not offered any aid, and they didn't really seem to care. :-/

User avatar
MrSoOoFLy
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:41 pm

brittainyb wrote:me too. they told me they exhausted all of their finaid funds early, even though i sent in my fafsa and all other documents as soon as it was available. i told them that i am a lot less likely to choose maryland over other schools if i am not offered any aid, and they didn't really seem to care. :-/


did u talk to some dude in the financial aid office? i dont recall his name... but he was pretty rude... a little courtesy would have been nice...but yeah with living expenses and full tuition, we're looking at $210,000 in debt easy.. no thanks... not for maryland at least.

ftblryan
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby ftblryan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:30 am

Hey guys

I just got decision made on Friday. I have first deposit listed with no amount however and same with the second. What does everybody think about this? I got in at santa clara and they had actual amounts listed so just seeing what everyones experience is if they got in or not with no amounts listed. Thanks

User avatar
jdhopeful23
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby jdhopeful23 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:58 am

nevermind :wink:

User avatar
MrSoOoFLy
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:17 am

ftblryan wrote:Hey guys

I just got decision made on Friday. I have first deposit listed with no amount however and same with the second. What does everybody think about this? I got in at santa clara and they had actual amounts listed so just seeing what everyones experience is if they got in or not with no amounts listed. Thanks


First deposit is $500 and due in their office by 5pm april 15th check or money order... but just call them to verify...

I withdrew my acceptance this morning so hopefully that frees up a spot for one of you wait listers =]

mailmanstalker
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:54 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby mailmanstalker » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:28 am

MrSoOoFLy wrote:
brittainyb wrote:me too. they told me they exhausted all of their finaid funds early, even though i sent in my fafsa and all other documents as soon as it was available. i told them that i am a lot less likely to choose maryland over other schools if i am not offered any aid, and they didn't really seem to care. :-/


did u talk to some dude in the financial aid office? i dont recall his name... but he was pretty rude... a little courtesy would have been nice...but yeah with living expenses and full tuition, we're looking at $210,000 in debt easy.. no thanks... not for maryland at least.


+1




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”