Maryland 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
1sixtytwo

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby 1sixtytwo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:25 am

vegansistah wrote:Waitlisted! :cry:

Sad thing is, they don't start reviewing the waitlist until May, and make all waitlist decisions by (drum roll, please) JULY 30! The waitlist is also not ranked.

And this was for the part-time program. Oh well. I will ride the waitlist and hope for the best.

GL, have a good time in L&C though.

roecyris

Postby roecyris » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:06 am

Sad thing is, they don't start reviewing the waitlist until May, and make all waitlist decisions by (drum roll, please) JULY 30! The waitlist is also not ranked.

And this was for the part-time program. Oh well. I will ride the waitlist and hope for the best.

Care to share stats? I'm curious if I fall into the WL catagory (numerically that is).

vegansistah

Postby vegansistah » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:22 am

^^^^ PM'd you! :wink:

roecyris

Postby roecyris » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:03 am

Went "Decision Made" today!! :)

Here's hoping for good news in the next few days...

skyskysky

Postby skyskysky » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:15 am

my status was 'application received' since november first. I decided to call a few days ago to ask if there was something wrong with my app... after being on hold for like 15 minutes they told me they just handed my file to the committee for review :?

talk about being punished for applying early. and my status still says 'application received' btw :shock:

apmurphy636

Postby apmurphy636 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:52 pm

Still in review from Feb 3. This wait is killing me.

mailmanstalker

Postby mailmanstalker » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:09 pm

Anyone get a decision made today?

samiam123

Postby samiam123 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:41 pm

yeah i got decision made today...good luck! hope its not too long a wait to find out!

1sixtytwo

Postby 1sixtytwo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:14 pm

Well, still in-review. Hope to just forget it for a while, but can't.

lawschoolwooooo

Postby lawschoolwooooo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:08 am

I had "decision made" on 3/4 but still no letter in the mail... what gives, I live in Maryland and could drive to the law school and pick up my decision quicker than this... did get a suspicious email this afternoon though with info about student groups and a link to a live question answer forum for admitted students... did anyone else get this?

Zaraa

Postby Zaraa » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:53 am

I got the same email regarding student groups. March 4 - Decision Made, no idea what the result is yet though! I applied PT.

roecyris

Postby roecyris » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:41 am

lawschoolwooooo wrote:did get a suspicious email this afternoon though with info about student groups and a link to a live question answer forum for admitted students... did anyone else get this?

Zaraa wrote:I got the same email regarding student groups. March 4 - Decision Made, no idea what the result is yet though! I applied PT.

I'm still waiting for the decision letter to reach Philly and I did not get these e-mails. Merde.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:53 am

It takes 4-5 days, give or take, from receiving your admit letter to start getting e-mail correspondence. At least, that's what happened in my case.

Can anyone shed any light on the part-time program at UMD? There seems to be a lack of info on the school's website. I'm a full-timer but might actually have to drop down due to some personal commitments. Just general information for pt-ers looking towards transferring into the ft program, journal implications if any, and whether you feel the same sense of belonging as day students would be helpful for everyone on TLS since there seems to be a dearth of info here too.

SportsFanatic

Postby SportsFanatic » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:10 pm

get it to x wrote:It takes 4-5 days, give or take, from receiving your admit letter to start getting e-mail correspondence. At least, that's what happened in my case.

Can anyone shed any light on the part-time program at UMD? There seems to be a lack of info on the school's website. I'm a full-timer but might actually have to drop down due to some personal commitments. Just general information for pt-ers looking towards transferring into the ft program, journal implications if any, and whether you feel the same sense of belonging as day students would be helpful for everyone on TLS since there seems to be a dearth of info here too.

How long did it take you to get a package in the mail? I've been decision made since 2/25.

How did you hear about the wait list? snail mail? email? status checker?

vegansistah

Postby vegansistah » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:03 pm

The waitlist info came in a medium-sized letter (medium sized in order to fit the business-sized Waitlist acceptance/removal reply form) via snail mail.

FWIW, still not sure if the waitlist is actually ranked despite my letter indicating it was not. In perusing last year's TLS MD waitlist threads, some people received a different waitlist letter stating they were on a "priority waitlist" and that admission was very probable, while others received a letter worded similarly to mine. (My letter actually made admission seem improbable. Maybe just my TLS-induced pessimism?)

hth :?:

lawschoolwooooo

Postby lawschoolwooooo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:17 pm

Zaraa wrote:I got the same email regarding student groups. March 4 - Decision Made, no idea what the result is yet though! I applied PT.

Yea the wording of this email made me hopeful that the decision would be a positive one but I don't want to get ahead of myself...(i have seriously been checking my mail every hour now haha) I'm also applying part time, and work full time in dc... only now starting to consider how awful that commute would be...the info on the part time program is pretty sparse...does anyone know how transerring to the full time program would work out?

mailmanstalker

Postby mailmanstalker » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:46 pm

Also got suspicious email talking about "admitted students". Hoping that is a good sign....Good luck to everyone!

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:53 pm

vegansistah wrote:The waitlist info came in a medium-sized letter (medium sized in order to fit the business-sized Waitlist acceptance/removal reply form) via snail mail.

FWIW, still not sure if the waitlist is actually ranked despite my letter indicating it was not. In perusing last year's TLS MD waitlist threads, some people received a different waitlist letter stating they were on a "priority waitlist" and that admission was very probable, while others received a letter worded similarly to mine. (My letter actually made admission seem improbable. Maybe just my TLS-induced pessimism?)

FWIW I applied two years ago with a much lower LSAT and I receive the priority waitlist letter - I later received a phone call offer. That said, they may have gotten rid of the priority waitlist if there hasn't been any discussion on it this cycle. It could mean that the regular waitlist has a better chance if they don't split it into two categories! GL, it's a great school.

JRothman

Postby JRothman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:39 am

OneKnight wrote:
vegansistah wrote:The waitlist info came in a medium-sized letter (medium sized in order to fit the business-sized Waitlist acceptance/removal reply form) via snail mail.

FWIW I applied two years ago with a much lower LSAT and I receive the priority waitlist letter - I later received a phone call offer. That said, they may have gotten rid of the priority waitlist if there hasn't been any discussion on it this cycle. It could mean that the regular waitlist has a better chance if they don't split it into two categories! GL, it's a great school.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news-- but there is a "Preferred Waitlist" this year-- medium sized envelope, and a letter that all but guarantees you a spot in the Fall FT class (that's what I'm on).

amclane

Postby amclane » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:49 pm

JRothman wrote:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news-- but there is a "Preferred Waitlist" this year-- medium sized envelope, and a letter that all but guarantees you a spot in the Fall FT class (that's what I'm on).

I have not heard anything about a preferred waitlist for the PT applicants.

mailmanstalker

Postby mailmanstalker » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:41 pm

Anyone know if being a Maryland resident hurts/help you in admissions?

Zaraa

Postby Zaraa » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:11 am

Anyone have any news if this suspicious email is a good fortune? I live overseas so it will take forever for snail mail to reach me! Dying to know :D

@lawschoolwooooo - That commute does sounds a bit painful. Have you tried a "test run" - travelling at the time of day you'd actually need to, see how long it takes, how much stress it causes, cost etc? I'm not from the area but friends say it's a fairly common commute for those working in DC. Good luck!!

@mailmanstalker - From my understanding of their info, UMD does not have a quota to fill of MD residents or any other particular preference. The website was incredibly sparse on this topic. However they do have a higher yield from MD vs other states which may skew their decisions.

samiam123

Postby samiam123 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:33 am

also got the e-mail abt admitted students, called up and the secretary told me that the e-mail clearly states at the bottom (which it does) that this message is in no way an indication of acceptance to the school of law.

That being said, i think it would be kinda ridiculous to send out an e-mail abt admitted students if they concurrently are sending those students waitlist/rejection letters.....i think we're in, just a logical assessment of the situation tho.

amclane

Postby amclane » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:07 pm

samiam123 wrote:also got the e-mail abt admitted students, called up and the secretary told me that the e-mail clearly states at the bottom (which it does) that this message is in no way an indication of acceptance to the school of law.

That being said, i think it would be kinda ridiculous to send out an e-mail abt admitted students if they concurrently are sending those students waitlist/rejection letters.....i think we're in, just a logical assessment of the situation tho.

I think you guys are in. I'm on the waitlist and I have not received any of those e-mails. That line is just a protection, in case they mess up.

Zaraa

Postby Zaraa » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:59 pm

Just (within the last 5 min) got another email titled "Maryland Law Facebook Invitation!" - First line reads "Congratulations on your admission..." but of course still has the confidentiality notice at the end of the email stating that this is not an official offer of admission. No snail mail received yet but I'm gaining more hope! This would be my first response of the cycle and a fantastic boost to my confidence if the envelope is enormous!!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”