Maryland 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
1sixtytwo
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby 1sixtytwo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:34 am

bluelilyleif wrote:Okay...thanks for the answers about softs. I got my acceptance letter Friday (2/19). The online thing said "decision letter mailed" on 2/17.

Now my nerves are REALLY kicking in...


Congrats!
Any stats you can share?

User avatar
LSAT! Nooooooooo!
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:12 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby LSAT! Nooooooooo! » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:45 am

1sixtytwo wrote:
LSAT! Nooooooooo! wrote:
jrobby6 wrote:waitlisted here...got the letter today.


waitlisted also. With my numbers I'm dancing on the ceiling. I'm thrilled to still be alive in this cycle. PT program BTW.


Congrats and GL!
Strong softs I guess.
Can you share?



That is very flattering thank you very much. In the undergrad pool I was an impressive applicant: First in my family to attend college, came from a physically abusive home, worked full time while attending school, and finally graduated Magna Cum Laude from the largest Catholic College in Texas. (Until they start considering "trailer trash" as a URM I am not one.)

In the law applicant pool I'm nothing. All you guys have great stories. All you guys have the grades and the brains to boot. I'd love to say I have strong softs, but in this pool being president of the campus leadership society, Dean's List, and all the other things on my wall (that my wife has been proud enough to frame) will get me a latte at the local coffee shop as long as I also bring 4 bucks. Sometimes I find it flattering just to be swimming in the same pool with a lot of you.

Long story short, I'm glad to be on the waitlist of this school with such a shitty LSAT score (153). I'm already gearing up to retake in June, but I don't think I'll ever score into the high 160's like a lot of the really sharp people on this board. Wish me luck on the waitlist. I'd kill to be a Terp! Thanks again, and good luck to you also jrobby.

1sixtytwo
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby 1sixtytwo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:25 am

To LSAT!Noooooooo!, your stories prove that they are a big factor to the adcom's decision. A lot of people in LSN got rejected out right even with higher LSAT/GPA. I am glad that they are listening and hope mine would be heard soon.
Best wish to your cycle and relaying hope to the people.

User avatar
bluelilyleif
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:51 am

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby bluelilyleif » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:27 am

1sixtytwo wrote:
bluelilyleif wrote:Okay...thanks for the answers about softs. I got my acceptance letter Friday (2/19). The online thing said "decision letter mailed" on 2/17.

Now my nerves are REALLY kicking in...


Congrats!
Any stats you can share?





Oh, my stats suck. 156 lsat, 3.25 GPA -- it was lowered from my 3.5 for "their" reasons...maybe they liked my statement or my work history--I have been working for a Judge in downtown Baltimore for the past 3 years. Idk. I feel lucky.

User avatar
bluelilyleif
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:51 am

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby bluelilyleif » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:31 am

LSAT! Nooooooooo! wrote:
1sixtytwo wrote:
LSAT! Nooooooooo! wrote:
jrobby6 wrote:waitlisted here...got the letter today.


waitlisted also. With my numbers I'm dancing on the ceiling. I'm thrilled to still be alive in this cycle. PT program BTW.


Congrats and GL!
Strong softs I guess.
Can you share?



That is very flattering thank you very much. In the undergrad pool I was an impressive applicant: First in my family to attend college, came from a physically abusive home, worked full time while attending school, and finally graduated Magna Cum Laude from the largest Catholic College in Texas. (Until they start considering "trailer trash" as a URM I am not one.)

In the law applicant pool I'm nothing. All you guys have great stories. All you guys have the grades and the brains to boot. I'd love to say I have strong softs, but in this pool being president of the campus leadership society, Dean's List, and all the other things on my wall (that my wife has been proud enough to frame) will get me a latte at the local coffee shop as long as I also bring 4 bucks. Sometimes I find it flattering just to be swimming in the same pool with a lot of you.

Long story short, I'm glad to be on the waitlist of this school with such a shitty LSAT score (153). I'm already gearing up to retake in June, but I don't think I'll ever score into the high 160's like a lot of the really sharp people on this board. Wish me luck on the waitlist. I'd kill to be a Terp! Thanks again, and good luck to you also jrobby.



This sounds like me. I had to teach myself elementary school because my parents wouldn't send me!! First person in hundreds of family members to go to college. In my family SAT means something they did last night in front of the television.

I told my father I got accepted, and he said, "oh".

1sixtytwo
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby 1sixtytwo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:04 pm

That is what I am talking about. If you will like to serve your community, then being part of the community would get you the businesses. Everybody needs a lawyer and a doctor. They might not be able to affort the Catilac lawyer, but they should have access for the service they need.

User avatar
LSAT! Nooooooooo!
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:12 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby LSAT! Nooooooooo! » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:43 pm

This sounds like me. I had to teach myself elementary school because my parents wouldn't send me!! First person in hundreds of family members to go to college. In my family SAT means something they did last night in front of the television.

I told my father I got accepted, and he said, "oh".[/quote]

I know how you feel. My Pop would probably reply, "you gone in to skewl with dem YANKEES? Good luck with dat! You know dey don't layke us up der don't ya?"

User avatar
bluelilyleif
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:51 am

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby bluelilyleif » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:11 pm

LSAT! Nooooooooo! wrote:This sounds like me. I had to teach myself elementary school because my parents wouldn't send me!! First person in hundreds of family members to go to college. In my family SAT means something they did last night in front of the television.

I told my father I got accepted, and he said, "oh".


I know how you feel. My Pop would probably reply, "you gone in to skewl with dem YANKEES? Good luck with dat! You know dey don't layke us up der don't ya?"[/quote]

What is that accent? It is nice to know I am not alone.


My mother was a little more enthusiastic; she said "What does that mean?" :cry:

User avatar
LSAT! Nooooooooo!
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:12 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby LSAT! Nooooooooo! » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:21 pm

bluelilyleif wrote:
LSAT! Nooooooooo! wrote:This sounds like me. I had to teach myself elementary school because my parents wouldn't send me!! First person in hundreds of family members to go to college. In my family SAT means something they did last night in front of the television.

I told my father I got accepted, and he said, "oh".


I know how you feel. My Pop would probably reply, "you gone in to skewl with dem YANKEES? Good luck with dat! You know dey don't layke us up der don't ya?"


What is that accent? It is nice to know I am not alone.


My mother was a little more enthusiastic; she said "What does that mean?" :cry:[/quote]


that is "hick" accent. Yeah, I've got a lot of, "what does waitlist mean" questions.

User avatar
roguey
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:45 am

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby roguey » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:20 pm

LSAT! Nooooooooo! wrote:
bluelilyleif wrote:
LSAT! Nooooooooo! wrote:This sounds like me. I had to teach myself elementary school because my parents wouldn't send me!! First person in hundreds of family members to go to college. In my family SAT means something they did last night in front of the television.

I told my father I got accepted, and he said, "oh".


I know how you feel. My Pop would probably reply, "you gone in to skewl with dem YANKEES? Good luck with dat! You know dey don't layke us up der don't ya?"


What is that accent? It is nice to know I am not alone.


My mother was a little more enthusiastic; she said "What does that mean?" :cry:



that is "hick" accent. Yeah, I've got a lot of, "what does waitlist mean" questions.[/quote]
My mom is mad that I won't be able to pay her rent anymore (I live in Nashville and she lives in an apartment by herself in Memphis) . I'm mad because she ruined my credit by using my name for credit cards. But hey, she says she's proud of me!!

User avatar
LSAT! Nooooooooo!
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:12 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby LSAT! Nooooooooo! » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:32 pm

roguey wrote:
LSAT! Nooooooooo! wrote:
bluelilyleif wrote:
LSAT! Nooooooooo! wrote:This sounds like me. I had to teach myself elementary school because my parents wouldn't send me!! First person in hundreds of family members to go to college. In my family SAT means something they did last night in front of the television.

I told my father I got accepted, and he said, "oh".


I know how you feel. My Pop would probably reply, "you gone in to skewl with dem YANKEES? Good luck with dat! You know dey don't layke us up der don't ya?"


What is that accent? It is nice to know I am not alone.


My mother was a little more enthusiastic; she said "What does that mean?" :cry:



that is "hick" accent. Yeah, I've got a lot of, "what does waitlist mean" questions.

My mom is mad that I won't be able to pay her rent anymore (I live in Nashville and she lives in an apartment by herself in Memphis) . I'm mad because she ruined my credit by using my name for credit cards. But hey, she says she's proud of me!![/quote]


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bootstrappers unite!

1sixtytwo
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby 1sixtytwo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:20 pm

For New Dean of Maryland Law School, ‘Diversity More than a Buzzword’
August 11th, 2009
To Phoebe Haddon, diversity is more than a buzzword or a proud achievement to be plastered on a brochure. It’s an absolute key to the subject that makes her tick.

Haddon, the new dean of the University of Maryland School of Law, loves to pick apart the history and meaning of our laws. Those conversations are far richer, she says, with input from the widest possible range of people.

“I think women bring new dimensions to thinking about the law, because we ask different questions,” says Haddon, a fourth-generation lawyer whose family has advocated for civil rights for more than a century. “In the area of human rights and domestic problems, women have asked questions about a lack of equity that were simply not asked before.”

Haddon, 58, who last month became one of a handful of black women in the country to lead a law school, spent decades at Temple University in Philadelphia pushing students to think about how race, gender and class shape legal opinions. She has served on numerous panels devoted to bringing more minorities and underprivileged students into law schools. She worked for government agencies that sought to rehabilitate urban neighborhoods.

Her belief in diversity has led her to question the reliance on the Law School Admission Test (LSAT), which correlates to first-year performance in law school but in her opinion says little about who will make a good lawyer and favors wealthy applicants.

Whitters
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:02 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby Whitters » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:34 pm

DM 2/17. Rejected with 161/3.51. I'll admit, this is the first one to really hurt. Oh well, makes the decisions easier I suppose.

apmurphy636
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby apmurphy636 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:28 pm

Anyone know if still being In Review 2/3/10 is a good sign or a bad sign? 162 3.51 here.

1sixtytwo
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby 1sixtytwo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:55 pm

I would say it has to be on the good side this late in the cycle. I heard the Feb test takers had a higher portion dropped out of the snow make-up, so the last batch size might come in a little weaker. And the slow down in the office would also mean the pre-snow WL would shrink along the way. What else, oh, I just hope this logic is not as bad as my LSAT LR.

1sixtytwo
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby 1sixtytwo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:53 am

As the cycle is winding down and people leaving the forum, I feel a little lonely here :? . Hopefully, by the beginning of March there is something I can relay on.

User avatar
vegansistah
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby vegansistah » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:32 pm

apmurphy636 wrote:Anyone know if still being In Review 2/3/10 is a good sign or a bad sign? 162 3.51 here.



I was under review, too, from 2/3 and just went decision made (and mailed) TODAY! :shock:

User avatar
bluelilyleif
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:51 am

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby bluelilyleif » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:36 pm

vegansistah wrote:
apmurphy636 wrote:Anyone know if still being In Review 2/3/10 is a good sign or a bad sign? 162 3.51 here.



I was under review, too, from 2/3 and just went decision made (and mailed) TODAY! :shock:




Did I see that you also applied to Lewis and Clark? If so, have you heard anything from them yet? (I'm vegan too btw)--yay you

User avatar
vegansistah
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby vegansistah » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:53 pm

bluelilyleif wrote:
vegansistah wrote:
apmurphy636 wrote:Anyone know if still being In Review 2/3/10 is a good sign or a bad sign? 162 3.51 here.



I was under review, too, from 2/3 and just went decision made (and mailed) TODAY! :shock:




Did I see that you also applied to Lewis and Clark? If so, have you heard anything from them yet? (I'm vegan too btw)--yay you


Yes- interested in environmental law. I would love to know when the ASD for Maryland is. Hope it isn't the same as L&C's!

User avatar
bluelilyleif
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:51 am

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby bluelilyleif » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:06 pm

vegansistah wrote:
bluelilyleif wrote:
vegansistah wrote:
apmurphy636 wrote:Anyone know if still being In Review 2/3/10 is a good sign or a bad sign? 162 3.51 here.



I was under review, too, from 2/3 and just went decision made (and mailed) TODAY! :shock:




Did I see that you also applied to Lewis and Clark? If so, have you heard anything from them yet? (I'm vegan too btw)--yay you


Yes- interested in environmental law. I would love to know when the ASD for Maryland is. Hope it isn't the same as L&C's!



I am going crazy waiting to hear from L+C. And Seattle. I got my admittance packet from Maryland late last night, but I didn't open it yet...

User avatar
smartblonde87
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby smartblonde87 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:53 pm

bluelilyleif wrote:
1sixtytwo wrote:
bluelilyleif wrote:Okay...thanks for the answers about softs. I got my acceptance letter Friday (2/19). The online thing said "decision letter mailed" on 2/17.

Now my nerves are REALLY kicking in...


Congrats!
Any stats you can share?





Oh, my stats suck. 156 lsat, 3.25 GPA -- it was lowered from my 3.5 for "their" reasons...maybe they liked my statement or my work history--I have been working for a Judge in downtown Baltimore for the past 3 years. Idk. I feel lucky.


+111111111 You are clearly the American Dream.
Last edited by smartblonde87 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bluelilyleif
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:51 am

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby bluelilyleif » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:20 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:
bluelilyleif wrote:
1sixtytwo wrote:
bluelilyleif wrote:Okay...thanks for the answers about softs. I got my acceptance letter Friday (2/19). The online thing said "decision letter mailed" on 2/17.

Now my nerves are REALLY kicking in...


Congrats!
Any stats you can share?





Oh, my stats suck. 156 lsat, 3.25 GPA -- it was lowered from my 3.5 for "their" reasons...maybe they liked my statement or my work history--I have been working for a Judge in downtown Baltimore for the past 3 years. Idk. I feel lucky.


+1 You give me Hope
+111111111 You are clearly the American Dream.



Well thank you. Yeah, I am pretty surprised. Glad to help. :)

roecyris
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:18 am

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby roecyris » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:08 am

vegansistah wrote:
apmurphy636 wrote:Anyone know if still being In Review 2/3/10 is a good sign or a bad sign? 162 3.51 here.



I was under review, too, from 2/3 and just went decision made (and mailed) TODAY! :shock:



I went review 2/3 also and am still waiting. Did u guys apply late? I think I went complete 1/27 so going to review was relativly quick.

I've been good at predicting my acceptences and rejects so far, but I'm not sure where I'm going to land on this one to be fair. I'm 158/3.35/non-URM/in-state ... Maryland would be a dream come true though. I left state for UG, but I'd love to practice in MD and be able to be close to my family.

utswdukie80
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:47 am

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby utswdukie80 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:10 pm

FWIW, I went complete on January 4th and was accepted on February 1st.

Has anybody received any scholarship information yet? Does anybody know of any precedent of Maryland doing in-state tuition equalization?

Thanks.

User avatar
vegansistah
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Maryland 2010

Postby vegansistah » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:02 pm

Waitlisted! :cry:

Sad thing is, they don't start reviewing the waitlist until May, and make all waitlist decisions by (drum roll, please) JULY 30! The waitlist is also not ranked.

And this was for the part-time program. Oh well. I will ride the waitlist and hope for the best.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bob loblaw law blog, BobBoblaw, ellielaw, lonola, Nickel94, nslaw123, pillowsoftcurls, potterotter, ReadyToStart, sonyco and 16 guests