Maryland 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
1sixtytwo

New

Re: Maryland 2010

Post by 1sixtytwo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:10 am

DM 3/18
Anybody else is DM and waiting too? Any Email you got from them yet?

SportsFanatic

Bronze

Post by SportsFanatic » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:27 pm

In via snail mail today.

apmurphy636

New

Post by apmurphy636 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:34 pm

In at Maryland today! Do scholarships come separately?

insertclevernamehere

Bronze

Post by insertclevernamehere » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:13 am

astro1819 wrote:
insertclevernamehere wrote:
sunnygirl wrote:any scholarship information yet???
+1
I emailed the admissions office about this, but they have yet to get back to me. I'll let you know how they answer.
Hey Astro, did you ever hear back?

Also -- anyone going on Saturday to the ASD? I am!

mailmanstalker

New

Post by mailmanstalker » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:12 am

astro1819 wrote:
+1
I emailed the admissions office about this, but they have yet to get back to me. I'll let you know how they answer.

I just called the admissions office. She said that notification of scholly will be seperate than admission packet. She did not know when the cut off date is but all admitted students are automatically reviewed for scholarship.

I will be atteneding ASD this weekend too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

insertclevernamehere

Bronze

Post by insertclevernamehere » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:35 pm

Hey, looking for opinions:

I just got the agenda for ASD on Saturday...I'm driving four hours to get there and this program seems really light on content. I'm reconsidering attending. However this will be my first preview type day so I guess I don't really know how to judge, am I overreacting?

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:11 pm

If you are the typical TLSer, ASDs are virtually useless besides seeing the school and meeting people. We have already done more research than 90% of the students there. Be prepared to listen to Jimmy's mother ask about financial aid for two hours.

mailmanstalker

New

Post by mailmanstalker » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:35 pm

sometimes there is free stuff whic is always a bonus :wink:

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:02 pm

astro1819 wrote:
+1

I received an answer, but it didn't speak to merit scholarships in general. Instead, they told me I was a finalist for the Leadership Scholars program. Not sure exactly what it entails, I still have to do more research. Sounds like those notifications come out on a rolling basis, and my inquiry may have had something to do with the offer. Right now it looks like I will probably attend UVA or Michigan over Maryland, so I may not continue to ask about scholarships. If your decision rests on the availability of scholarships, I would send them an email inquiring.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dream1031

New

Post by dream1031 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:38 pm

i just received decision made today as well. 3/18

glavine

New

Post by glavine » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:01 pm

anyone else get the emails about financial aid?

i'm confused because after signing up for SURFS, it says nothing is missing - contrary to the email.

rachel.almaraz

New

Post by rachel.almaraz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:17 pm

glavine wrote:anyone else get the emails about financial aid?

i'm confused because after signing up for SURFS, it says nothing is missing - contrary to the email.
Same thing happened to me. No idea what's going on...

nit00

New

Post by nit00 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:28 pm

rachel.almaraz wrote:

+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

insertclevernamehere

Bronze

Post by insertclevernamehere » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:32 pm

Has everyone here just completed their FAFSA?

I thought that was all Maryland required...

elysiansmiles

New

Post by elysiansmiles » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:27 am

rachel.almaraz wrote:

I got that email too and signed up for their SURFS thing, but it says I don't have the rights to access whatever page has the information they want. I don't think anything is missing... I tried to call them, but of course they sent the email out after they closed the office for the day, so I was going to try again today.

glavine

New

Post by glavine » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:40 am

so after signing in this morning, it looks like i didn't receive anything but the ability to take out loans? confused.

gords329

New

Post by gords329 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:47 am

I had these problems yesterday and figured them out.

1. The email w/ subject "UMB Student Requirements" has a link to SIMS webpage. Go there and click the large image on the left side of the screen that says "Click here to sign on to SURFS." You will be prompted for a username and password, which you probably haven't set up yet. So, click on the "myUMB Account Management Site" link and on that page click on the "New user, setup account" link. Then follow the steps to create a username and password. Once you have done that, you must go back to the SURFS sign-in page and use your newly acquired username and password to login.

2. Once you're in the system, go to Student Services & Financial Aid, then Financial Aid, then My Eligibility, then Student Requirements, then select Academic Year 2010-2011 and click "submit" [Note: As of last night, I couldn't accomplish this because there was no entry on the list for "Academic Year 2010-2011," but as of this morning that was fixed and I was able to proceed to the next page]. On the next page, you will see under "outstanding requirement" links to two forms that you have to fill out and mail in/hand in (they apparently won't accept them by fax or email, I guess they need original signatures). The forms don't require a lot of filling-in by you, they basically want you to sign and certify that you will only be using Fin Aid $ for school-related costs. They also want to know if you will be receiving other outside monies, such as employer tuition reimbursements.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rodewan

Bronze

Post by rodewan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:25 pm

yea i created an account this morning and when I viewed my award it was just the stafford and fed grad plus loans. kind of bummed about that. didn't do those two forms in the requirements though. do we get award money if we fill out those forms or something? I was under the impression that the award can already be seen under my award and the forms are just needed to accept it if you want it.

gords329

New

Post by gords329 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:11 pm

Sorry, I hadn't gotten my award letter yet when I msde my lst post. I thought we'd have to send in those forms in order to get an award letter. However, I did receive the award letter email shortly after I made that post, and I am in the same boat, i.e. only loans. They also appear to have made my awards based on out-of-state tuition, while I made it clear, and filled-out all of the forms, to be considered for in-state. I have been trying to call the financial aid office for the last two hours and get nothing but messages about how they're too busy to answer my call. This sucks.

rodewan

Bronze

Post by rodewan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:16 pm

wow yeah i agree, this is downright horrible. Actually I am also in-state, and they sent me a letter about 3-4 weeks ago telling me I had qualified for in-state tuition. I guess while doing so they forgot to do some people's. Since you did fill out all the paperwork and everything its really unfortunate they definitely should have gotten back to you. So much for what I thought would be at least a couple thousand in grant aid for us people, this really sucks :( .

glavine

New

Post by glavine » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:17 pm

gords329 wrote:Sorry, I hadn't gotten my award letter yet when I msde my lst post. I thought we'd have to send in those forms in order to get an award letter. However, I did receive the award letter email shortly after I made that post, and I am in the same boat, i.e. only loans. They also appear to have made my awards based on out-of-state tuition, while I made it clear, and filled-out all of the forms, to be considered for in-state. I have been trying to call the financial aid office for the last two hours and get nothing but messages about how they're too busy to answer my call. This sucks.
i've also tried calling multiple times and there is no response. i emailed the admin counselor to ask if sending in the other form is necessary to be considered for merit aid or if those decisions had already been made. i'll let you know when i hear back.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

insertclevernamehere

Bronze

Post by insertclevernamehere » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:40 pm

glavine wrote:
gords329 wrote:Sorry, I hadn't gotten my award letter yet when I msde my lst post. I thought we'd have to send in those forms in order to get an award letter. However, I did receive the award letter email shortly after I made that post, and I am in the same boat, i.e. only loans. They also appear to have made my awards based on out-of-state tuition, while I made it clear, and filled-out all of the forms, to be considered for in-state. I have been trying to call the financial aid office for the last two hours and get nothing but messages about how they're too busy to answer my call. This sucks.
i've also tried calling multiple times and there is no response. i emailed the admin counselor to ask if sending in the other form is necessary to be considered for merit aid or if those decisions had already been made. i'll let you know when i hear back.
Hi guys -

So I shot a email off this morning (around 8:30 am) after looking at how ridiculously expensive out-of-state is. My numbers are 162/3.8 so I figured I might have a small chance at getting something. Just received this back:

"Congratulations on your acceptance to the University of Maryland School of Law!

First, every applicant is considered for leadership scholarships when their file is reviewed during the admissions process. Because we are a state school operating on a limited budget and have been fortunate enough to review many qualified applications this year, we are not able to offer scholarships to everyone we deem worthy. At this point, we have maxed our funding. Should funds become available due to admissions activity, we will consider you at that time."

So I guess an email wouldn't hurt, since they "will consider" me if something becomes available, but it is looking like Maryland won't be the school for me.

edit: I mentioned a small scholarship from a peer school, they didn't even acknowledge it...

mailmanstalker

New

Post by mailmanstalker » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:39 pm

glavine wrote:
Hi guys -

So I shot a email off this morning (around 8:30 am) after looking at how ridiculously expensive out-of-state is. My numbers are 162/3.8 so I figured I might have a small chance at getting something. Just received this back:

"Congratulations on your acceptance to the University of Maryland School of Law!

First, every applicant is considered for leadership scholarships when their file is reviewed during the admissions process. Because we are a state school operating on a limited budget and have been fortunate enough to review many qualified applications this year, we are not able to offer scholarships to everyone we deem worthy. At this point, we have maxed our funding. Should funds become available due to admissions activity, we will consider you at that time."

So I guess an email wouldn't hurt, since they "will consider" me if something becomes available, but it is looking like Maryland won't be the school for me.

edit: I mentioned a small scholarship from a peer school, they didn't even acknowledge it...

Here is what I dont understand. No one on LSN seemed to have been given merit $$. So when did they run out of funds?

insertclevernamehere

Bronze

Post by insertclevernamehere » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:59 pm

Haha mailmanstalker, this is exactly what I was thinking. Who got all this money, and why haven't we heard from them?

Sadly Maryland just isn't an option with the cost and they don't seem willing to play ball

rodewan

Bronze

Post by rodewan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:33 pm

exactly! nobody friking got aid on lsn, its like, what the heck! i guess at this point all we can do is hope, but this doesn't look to good :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”