Rutgers Newark

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
inSouthAmerica

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby inSouthAmerica » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:03 pm

tell a moderator...

Rutgers1L_10

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:33 pm

Hey Folks!!

Just wanted to tell all those waiting for decisions to hang in there. I'm sure you're all well aware that the later seat deposit date was today. This definitely means the admissions office will start throwing out decisions. Although I can't speak on anything officially, or give you any dates.

However, if you get WL and RU-N is your first or a very high choice don't panic. Many people put down money at RU to make sure they secure a spot somewhere. A lot of students from the Northern NJ/NYC area will still wait around to hear from Cardozo, St John's and Fordham and withdraw from Rutgers late in the summer allowing RU to pull from the WL. It's a trickle down effect. Student that pay money at Forham sometimes get off the WL at NYU or CLS and withdraw from Fordham/SJ/Dozo, allowing them to pull students from their WL who seat deposits to RU, and allowing RU to pull students off the WL--it's a vicious cycle. But that's gloom and doom and I'm sure all of you are just hoping for acceptances outright. I don't blame you. I'm just trying to instill a little hope in you.

I certainly don't admire this situation you guys are in. Having your life in limbo is not a good place to be. But whatever the outcome you guys will get through it. Just hang in there a little while longer. And try not to put too much stock in the online status checker. It was non-existent last year. I'm not sure what else they've done to it in order to get it up and running. But they basically told students to pay it no attention last year because it wasn't updated with the proper information and it was usually inaccurate. The admissions office was really the only reliable source of info. They have been known to just send out mass acceptance emails and then mail info later. I've seen the dean of admissions' office, it's a wreck--but in a good way. She's fervently reading over apps STILL and she buries herself in that office all day. So take pride that if you haven't heard anything they are taking every measure to admit the perfect class. Hopefully that includes all of you!

sunshinefairy

Postby sunshinefairy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:36 pm

Rutgers1L_10 wrote:Hey Folks!!

Just wanted to tell all those waiting for decisions to hang in there. I'm sure you're all well aware that the later seat deposit date was today. This definitely means the admissions office will start throwing out decisions. Although I can't speak on anything officially, or give you any dates.

However, if you get WL and RU-N is your first or a very high choice don't panic. Many people put down money at RU to make sure they secure a spot somewhere. A lot of students from the Northern NJ/NYC area will still wait around to hear from Cardozo, St John's and Fordham and withdraw from Rutgers late in the summer allowing RU to pull from the WL. It's a trickle down effect. Student that pay money at Forham sometimes get off the WL at NYU or CLS and withdraw from Fordham/SJ/Dozo, allowing them to pull students from their WL who seat deposits to RU, and allowing RU to pull students off the WL--it's a vicious cycle. But that's gloom and doom and I'm sure all of you are just hoping for acceptances outright. I don't blame you. I'm just trying to instill a little hope in you.

I certainly don't admire this situation you guys are in. Having your life in limbo is not a good place to be. But whatever the outcome you guys will get through it. Just hang in there a little while longer. And try not to put too much stock in the online status checker. It was non-existent last year. I'm not sure what else they've done to it in order to get it up and running. But they basically told students to pay it no attention last year because it wasn't updated with the proper information and it was usually inaccurate. The admissions office was really the only reliable source of info. They have been known to just send out mass acceptance emails and then mail info later. I've seen the dean of admissions' office, it's a wreck--but in a good way. She's fervently reading over apps STILL and she buries herself in that office all day. So take pride that if you haven't heard anything they are taking every measure to admit the perfect class. Hopefully that includes all of you!

My seat deposit isn't due until May 1st.

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:33 pm

wizoz wrote:Any1 know what are the stipulations on scholarships? Mine requires that I maintain a 3.0 but I have these other questions:

1. If I drop below a 3.0 cumulative at any point, do I lose the entire scholarship or is it lost on a graded scale?

2. Suppose I were to dip below a 3.0 and then raise my cumulative in subsequent years, would I get back my scholarship?

3. Do most students retain their merit scholarships?

1. You lose it for the next year.
2. You have to have a cumulative average of a 3.0 you do get it back according to the language of the letter as well as a phone conversation with the financial aid office confirming this. I hope she was telling the truth, maybe call and confirm again? As for the 3.0 cume being a yearly cume or a total cume to renew is tougher to say, but I tend to think that ISA's assumption is correct. Again, a call would be wise.
3. Most students retain their merit scholarship.

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:38 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:that guy on the Seton Hall CO 2013 thread is ruthless... i mean, damn...

he's this face, :twisted:

Its Scotty Bullock himself. The man's a living legend gone troll. Its gotta be Scotty.

splittsville

Postby splittsville » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:11 am

bernie shmegma wrote:
inSouthAmerica wrote:that guy on the Seton Hall CO 2013 thread is ruthless... i mean, damn...

Its Scotty Bullock himself. The man's a living legend gone troll. Its gotta be Scotty.

I think its O.g. Oyiborhoro. That guy is all over the place.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:40 am

inSouthAmerica wrote:40 minutes in car, 43 minutes + 15 minutes in car from morristown, hour 15 minutes + 10 minutes in car from dover, if my father can commute every day to new york city from my house for 35 years, i can commute to newark, its built into the lifestyle.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:44 am

bernie shmegma wrote:
wizoz wrote:Any1 know what are the stipulations on scholarships? Mine requires that I maintain a 3.0 but I have these other questions:

1. If I drop below a 3.0 cumulative at any point, do I lose the entire scholarship or is it lost on a graded scale?

2. Suppose I were to dip below a 3.0 and then raise my cumulative in subsequent years, would I get back my scholarship?

3. Do most students retain their merit scholarships?

1. You lose it for the next year.
2. You have to have a cumulative average of a 3.0 you do get it back according to the language of the letter as well as a phone conversation with the financial aid office confirming this. I hope she was telling the truth, maybe call and confirm again? As for the 3.0 cume being a yearly cume or a total cume to renew is tougher to say, but I tend to think that ISA's assumption is correct. Again, a call would be wise.
3. Most students retain their merit scholarship.

I sent an email about it but haven't heard back in a while. I'll make the call early next week. Thanks Bernie!

TUhustler

Postby TUhustler » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:36 am

splittsville wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:

I think its O.g. Oyiborhoro. That guy is all over the place.

Hahahahaha very likely

audrey hepburn

Postby audrey hepburn » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:16 pm

so are most people commuting to newark? is anyone planning to actually live in the on-campus apartments or even off-campus apartments that are nearby?

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:52 pm

audrey hepburn wrote:so are most people commuting to newark? is anyone planning to actually live in the on-campus apartments or even off-campus apartments that are nearby?

It sounds like most are. I'm def commuting and just purchasing the parking decal for fall & spring.

NickyD51

Postby NickyD51 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:20 pm

Anyone have any insight into if RU got much more applicants this year due to the weak economy??

champ33

Postby champ33 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:34 pm

wizoz wrote:
audrey hepburn wrote:so are most people commuting to newark? is anyone planning to actually live in the on-campus apartments or even off-campus apartments that are nearby?

It sounds like most are. I'm def commuting and just purchasing the parking decal for fall & spring.

i'm planning to live in the on campus apartments for 1L.

jbl7979

Postby jbl7979 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:00 pm

So I just got a "file complete and ready for review" email. Even though its been complete for a month.

bjf

Postby bjf » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:10 pm

^
That's interesting. If I got that e-mail now after waiting all this time I would call ASAP.

Rutgers1L_10

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:49 pm

WIth the current economy, how are other classmates of yours holding up? I'm excited to be attending this fall at RU-N but would like to hear your honest insight on prospective employment opportunities after graduation.
Majority of my classmates are either 1)working for a firm 2)working for a corporation 3)working for a gov't agency 4)working for a judge 5)working in public interest. Most are working in the Northern NJ/NYC area. A handful are working back in their hometowns (DC/VA, Atlanta) I do know a few 1Ls that don't have anything lined up. Most of them admit that they waited until Late Jan/Feb to even begin sending out apps. For 1Ls that's way too late. Most places want to know as early as possible which is Dec 1 how many 1Ls are interested. Waiting until the middle of the recruitment cycle for summer jobs (Feb time frame) is not a good idea. There are still a number of postings coming through for Judicial internships and other jobs, whether people are applying for them or not is beyond my knowledge. For the most part it seems as though the 1L class was very successful this year securing employment.

Secondly, have you known or been told of anyone from Rutgers transferring up to a T14? More specifically NYU/Columbia. These stats are always hard to find online and was wondering if you had any knowledge of it.

I don't know of too many people that talk about transferring as 1Ls. I think the people that have the grades as rising 2Ls to transfer kind of feel like it's a huge gamble to take on so much debt at NYU/CLS when their RU grades are likely to land them high paying jobs. Transfer students aren't eligible for scholarships so I think the concern of adding $100k onto a very low law school debt may seem more risky than current students want to chance. Obviously if someone wants something like a type of clerkship that they're more likely to get from CLS they could transfer, but it's still a gamble because there are no guarantees. I think the consensus is just that people realize they can get good clerkships, and law firm or gov't jobs with good grades at RU and really low debt. In addition a lot of people don't care to take on the NYC CoL as a student. I think RU loses roughly 6-7% of it's 1Ls every year but some of that is due to people that just leave law school. There were a few students that left after fall grades came out. Inevitably students will decide after 1L law school just isn't for them. So if there are people transferring it's a very small number.

Lastly, I hear the study for 1L is brutal. How did you manage to keep your grades up and what is the best advice you can give to a prospective student? I have no knwoeldge of what law school would be like and the transition from undergrad will be hard to adjust, I imagine. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Time management. I had a schedule early in the semester and I stuck to it. Law school is not the the time to become a master procrastinator. The only assignments that are due are the LRW assignment so it's easy to feel like you can just do those and then not do your reading for your other classes. The problem is that you really can't afford to get behind on reading. Law school profs do not do "reviews" and they don't spend a day going over the material. Every day is something new and you're learning new material even on the very last day of class. So if you get behind early you can really screw yourself. That means there may be some late nights or really early mornings. Also classes meet every day whereas in undergrad you typically had a day or two between when your classes meet. With few exceptions you're going to be attending all of your classes 3-5 times a week. You'll have to manage your course load by figuring out what work absolutely HAS to be done the next day and then do it. Also it's important not to waste time. If you're going to go to the library and study you have to study. A lot of people get to the library and start chatting with friends, listening to music, playing on the internet and don't get focused. Thereby wasting very valuable time. As the semester progresses you should find yourself getting through much more material faster and with better understanding. If after about a month you aren't able to forsee some of the questions the professor is going to ask, and you aren't able to get through 2-3 subjects per night you either need to change the way you are reading or change how often you read the material. Biggest thing though is don't waste time. Set a schedule to get work done. And here's a tip i highly recommend. So listen closely!
Within the first 2-3 classes the professor is going to get behind. This works completely to your advantage. They (all of the profs combined) will assign you 150+ pages of reading for the first day of class (and don't expect to get this until the week before school starts--just to add to your panic). Some professors will get into the reading on day one, and some will not. But either way they will never get through all the reading. The key is to get the reading done anyway. And then, no matter what material your professor actually covers in class continue to read according to the syllabus and stay on track/stay ahead. Eventually your prof will cover the material. If the prof gets a day or two behind he may fly through 2 days worth of reading in 1 class in order to catch up. If you stopped reading because he was behind the syllabus then you'll be screwed when he randomly decides to catch the class up one day. So no matter what, do all the reading assigned, whether the professor is caught up or not. If you take good notes you will not forget the material in a day or two when the prof gets to it.

Braindead

Postby Braindead » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks again for answering my questions Rutgers1L-10. Your input sounds solid and I appreciate your time to reply. Wish you luck on your upcoming days and thanks again. Just hope Jersey's market can recover and take care of its debt.

NickyD51

Postby NickyD51 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:26 am

Let's get ready to check out inboxes!!!!!!

jbl7979

Postby jbl7979 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:55 am

refresh refresh refresh!

bjf

Postby bjf » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:05 am

Just FYI, my status checker never changed and I never received an e-mail..rejected via snail mail on Saturday. It was a bad day. : (

jbl7979

Postby jbl7979 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:35 am

Sorry to hear :(
I guess its a lot different for me, being that this is a "second profession" and part time. But I would still be upset considering its the only place I applied.

bjf

Postby bjf » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:07 am

Thanks. I applied PT and was a "strong consider" on LSP. Needless to say I was pretty shocked. Oh well....

jbl7979

Postby jbl7979 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:38 am

I wonder how they will consider my UGPA. I started really low at a CC my first two semesters. After that, I got things under control and my GPA went way up. So my cumulative UGPA is much lower than my degree GPA, with my strongest semesters being my last two. Thats my biggest concern.

bjf

Postby bjf » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:24 am

^ Hopefully it won't matter much, especially if you are removed from undergrad by at least a few years. I hope all of you guys still waiting get some good news soon. Good luck everyone.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:08 pm

For those waiting/WL'd, I will be withdrawing soon and asking for a seat deposit partial refund. I've decided it's better for me personally to go down to RU-Camden rather than staying in North Jersey. My parents are also alum of that law school, which also factored into my decision.

Will miss everyone in this thread, though :(. I really want to thank y'all for making this cycle fun!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”