Rutgers Newark

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
inSouthAmerica

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby inSouthAmerica » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:10 pm

@keg411 - when do we find out if youll be joining us. don't be such a tease.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:21 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:@keg411 - when do we find out if youll be joining us. don't be such a tease.

:lol: :D

In all seriousness dunno. I'm going to send a seat deposit tomorrow but I still have a whole bunch of factors including 10 outstanding apps (a Feb LSAT will do that to ya) and I'm sending 2 LOCI's of the 2 WL's I'm currently pursuing (UGA and Wake). I also still haven't ruled out Camden but my deposit deadline there isn't until 5/1.

I do <3 all of the TLS-Newark-ers, so I will be very very happy if it ends up being my final choice. I'm just not quite ready to commit fully yet.

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:01 pm

Rutgers1L_10

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:20 am

get it to x wrote:Rutgers 1_L you really give some great advice. Thanks for your contribution. I've been looking at the course load at Rutgers vs. other schools and it seems that it slips in a 5th course to the Fall semester with a much "lighter" load 2 core classes, LRW, and 1 elective in the Spring. Does the addition of a 4th core class really make the Fall very difficult or is it that those courses are a bit easier to tackle than Civ Pro and Conlaw so they'd rather have you do more "simpler" courses in the Fall?

FALL SEMESTER IS A BITCH!!!!!
It's ridiculously hard, it's harder than it has to be, it's insanely difficult.
Alright now that you understand that understand this.

1. Rutgers puts all 4 substantive "case law" classes in the fall semester (torts, criminal law, contracts property)
2. Rutgers requires 1Ls to take property...in the first semester. Many law schools make property a 2nd semester course, or make it an elective all together (Yale doesn't require property, and NYU makes it a 2L class for example. So take pride, you'll be smarter than those clowns, at least in property law)
3. Most schools combine case law courses with federal law courses like constitutional law or combine it with civil procedure.
4. Many schools do not grade the first semester of LRW--Rutgers has 3 graded assignments that will absolutely dominate your life. Just when you are getting your head above water with your daily reading, you'll have hours of LRW research and a memo due.
5. There are 16 credits in the fall and at least 15 in the spring. Depending on the elective you could have 16 credits in the spring.
6. There is more "free time" in the spring semester because there is more time between the classes. Fall semester there is no time to do anything. The day is non-stop. Obviously, there are some breaks between certain classes, and most likely your largest break will be the "lunch hour" but that's typically when everyone hold their meetings. So that hour will generally be pretty busy. You can eat, attend a meeting, go to the library, try to get to TA or professor office hours, grab coffee, take a nap, go to the gym---it's your time, good luck!
7. Con law and civ pro are VERY different from the substantive, case law classes.
--Fall semester is your typical socratic method of learning. Briefing the case, who are the parties, why are they here, what is the issue, what was the lower courts decision..blahblahblahblahblah......
Spring semester there is less of that. The book gives you the case brief in the first two lines, or the prof will just tell you what the case is about. Why? Because it no longer matters if you can brief the case and spot the issue. There really isn't any issue spotting with con law and civ pro. It's all federal law, it's very systematic, it's all supreme court decisons and it's nothing like first semester classes.
So first semester all the classes are spot the issue type classes. That means all of your finals are generally essay/spot the issue types (obviously there are exceptions). But if you screw up, the good news is that the spring semester exams are very different. If you do really well the bad news is that spring semester exams are very different.
8. Most people think spring semester is not necessarily easier, but just different. There just seems to be a LOT more time. Also there are only 2 LRW assignments due spring semester versus 3 in the fall. But the two assignments are much longer, and much more in depth.
9. The elective you take can make all the difference in your schedule. There are some electives that are offered and people take them because they're and easy "A" (I'll leave that up to you to investigate), and there are some that are known to be much more difficult and time consuming. But offering an elective for 1Ls is not a completely new concept. Many schools offer electives, just maybe not a long list. I think Rutgers has
a decent list of electives.

As a side note--Rutgers gives Torts, Contracts and Property 4 credits, and criminal Law 3
While it's pretty standard to give Crim law 3 credits some schools make property , torts or contracts 3 credits, some schools make it 5
Rutgers makes con law and civ pro 5 each--some schools make those classes 3 or 4 credits, or make them full year-long courses.
I think many of my fellow 1Ls got a little wrapped around the axle because the assumption was that con law and civ pro must be much harder than the other classes b/c they're worth more credits. Really, it's just the amount of time they choose to allocate to teaching the classes. Those classes just have to meet more. But, there is a lot more material to be covered in say Con Law versus Torts. Personally, I think Torts could easily be a 3 credit class and Property a 5 credit class, while Civ pro could be a 4 credit. Don't let the numbers overwhelm you. Every professor thinks his/her subject is the only thing you're taking. And most professors absolutely despise the LRW program. It drains the crap out of the students, everyone stops reading, and paying attention, skipping classes and being unprepared when a LRW memo is due. The entire atmosphere of the school changes. All the upperclassment can tell when its LRW time and they plan stuff around the due dates for the papers. But the professors don't like students blowing off a 1 credit class for their class. The problems is that LRW, technically is only 1 credit in the fall. But you don't get a fall LRW grade. Spring LRW is worth 2 credits, so when its all said and done it's a 3 credit class with 1 grade.

amg414

Postby amg414 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:49 am

Hey you guys seem like a nice bunch. I applied for PT on 3/1 and went complete 3/4. I haven't heard a peep since. I live in NJ and Rutgers-Newark is 100% my top choice. 153/3.2 overall GPA, 4.0 GPA where I have been working on undergrad part time since 2008 - applied under the focus on experiences instead of numbers for some family circumstances. My father also graduated from R-N way back in 1972. Anyone here going in the PT program?

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:18 am

Rutgers1L_10 wrote:
get it to x wrote:Rutgers 1_L you really give some great advice. Thanks for your contribution. I've been looking at the course load at Rutgers vs. other schools and it seems that it slips in a 5th course to the Fall semester with a much "lighter" load 2 core classes, LRW, and 1 elective in the Spring. Does the addition of a 4th core class really make the Fall very difficult or is it that those courses are a bit easier to tackle than Civ Pro and Conlaw so they'd rather have you do more "simpler" courses in the Fall?

1. Rutgers puts all 4 substantive "case law" classes in the fall semester (torts, criminal law, contracts property)
2. Rutgers requires 1Ls to take property...in the first semester. Many law schools make property a 2nd semester course, or make it an elective all together (Yale doesn't require property, and NYU makes it a 2L class for example. So take pride, you'll be smarter than those clowns, at least in property law)
3. Most schools combine case law courses with federal law courses like constitutional law or combine it with civil procedure.
4. Many schools do not grade the first semester of LRW--Rutgers has 3 graded assignments that will absolutely dominate your life. Just when you are getting your head above water with your daily reading, you'll have hours of LRW research and a memo due.
5. There are 16 credits in the fall and at least 15 in the spring. Depending on the elective you could have 16 credits in the spring.
6. There is more "free time" in the spring semester because there is more time between the classes. Fall semester there is no time to do anything. The day is non-stop. Obviously, there are some breaks between certain classes, and most likely your largest break will be the "lunch hour" but that's typically when everyone hold their meetings. So that hour will generally be pretty busy. You can eat, attend a meeting, go to the library, try to get to TA or professor office hours, grab coffee, take a nap, go to the gym---it's your time, good luck!
7. Con law and civ pro are VERY different from the substantive, case law classes.
--Fall semester is your typical socratic method of learning. Briefing the case, who are the parties, why are they here, what is the issue, what was the lower courts decision..blahblahblahblahblah......
Spring semester there is less of that. The book gives you the case brief in the first two lines, or the prof will just tell you what the case is about. Why? Because it no longer matters if you can brief the case and spot the issue. There really isn't any issue spotting with con law and civ pro. It's all federal law, it's very systematic, it's all supreme court decisons and it's nothing like first semester classes.
So first semester all the classes are spot the issue type classes. That means all of your finals are generally essay/spot the issue types (obviously there are exceptions). But if you screw up, the good news is that the spring semester exams are very different. If you do really well the bad news is that spring semester exams are very different.
8. Most people think spring semester is not necessarily easier, but just different. There just seems to be a LOT more time. Also there are only 2 LRW assignments due spring semester versus 3 in the fall. But the two assignments are much longer, and much more in depth.
9. The elective you take can make all the difference in your schedule. There are some electives that are offered and people take them because they're and easy "A" (I'll leave that up to you to investigate), and there are some that are known to be much more difficult and time consuming. But offering an elective for 1Ls is not a completely new concept. Many schools offer electives, just maybe not a long list. I think Rutgers has

As a side note--Rutgers gives Torts, Contracts and Property 4 credits, and criminal Law 3
While it's pretty standard to give Crim law 3 credits some schools make property , torts or contracts 3 credits, some schools make it 5
Rutgers makes con law and civ pro 5 each--some schools make those classes 3 or 4 credits, or make them full year-long courses.
I think many of my fellow 1Ls got a little wrapped around the axle because the assumption was that con law and civ pro must be much harder than the other classes b/c they're worth more credits. Really, it's just the amount of time they choose to allocate to teaching the classes. Those classes just have to meet more. But, there is a lot more material to be covered in say Con Law versus Torts. Personally, I think Torts could easily be a 3 credit class and Property a 5 credit class, while Civ pro could be a 4 credit. Don't let the numbers overwhelm you. Every professor thinks his/her subject is the only thing you're taking. And most professors absolutely despise the LRW program. It drains the crap out of the students, everyone stops reading, and paying attention, skipping classes and being unprepared when a LRW memo is due. The entire atmosphere of the school changes. All the upperclassment can tell when its LRW time and they plan stuff around the due dates for the papers. But the professors don't like students blowing off a 1 credit class for their class. The problems is that LRW, technically is only 1 credit in the fall. But you don't get a fall LRW grade. Spring LRW is worth 2 credits, so when its all said and done it's a 3 credit class with 1 grade.

Should of committed to Cardozo May entry... Damn. JK. Fall sounds like a blast, CASE LAW YEAHHHH, I F-ing shower in that Sh*t! haha yeah I plan on wearing scuba gear to law school so I don't drown. I think Gym time is going to have to be limited to after classes on Fridays to say the least. I just hope I don't look like Mick Jagger after the semester.

ericng314

Postby ericng314 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:30 am

I'm definitely attend Rutgers-Newark at the moment but this intense 1L first semester is making me regret my decision LOL. I should've chosen Seton Hall! LOL. But I bet it's doable.

renee15

Postby renee15 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:30 am

Rutgers1L_10 wrote:

Thank you for the fair warning!!!! Rutgers1L_10....seriously...thank you for all the advice/warning you are giving us!

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:20 am

you can't scare me, Rutgers1L_10. :)

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:08 am

Thanks for the detailed info Rutgers 1_L. At least I know what I might be getting myself into. I'm sure there's a way of getting through that 1st semester with part of your sanity intact and maybe some decent grades to boot as well.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:14 am

They told us at the small group session how intense first semester 1L is.

ericng314

Postby ericng314 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:05 pm

I suggest all of us go purchase some rulers. For LRW, they make a big stink about 60 characters w/in 5 inches and also how there's like a set font type/size. Oi vey!

Just wondering, does anyone know if MSP requires us to go to EVERY single one of those weekly group sessions during the course of the first year? That seems like a bit of a waste of time IMO.

Anyone else here in MSP?

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:21 pm

http://www.law.com/jsp/law/careercenter ... 8256428026

READ, save, and keep to pass on for friends and family who pursue law school in the future. Just don't give it to people who will hurt the curve if they switch to RU-N this year. :wink:

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:31 pm

ericng314 wrote:I suggest all of us go purchase some rulers. For LRW, they make a big stink about 60 characters w/in 5 inches and also how there's like a set font type/size. Oi vey!

Just wondering, does anyone know if MSP requires us to go to EVERY single one of those weekly group sessions during the course of the first year? That seems like a bit of a waste of time IMO.

Anyone else here in MSP?

Lovaholic and I are the only 2 I know are in MSP...

I'm not sure about EVERY single one but it seems if you want the 1L internship, I'm guessing you'll have to. Maybe Rutgers_1L's friend in MSP can shed light?

mimi317

Postby mimi317 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Interesting article. Most definitely makes a case for Rutgers compared to other similarly or even higher ranked schools.

bernie shmegma wrote:http://www.law.com/jsp/law/careercenter/lawArticleCareerCenter.jsp?id=1208256428026

READ, save, and keep to pass on for friends and family who pursue law school in the future. Just don't give it to people who will hurt the curve if they switch to RU-N this year. :wink:

bjf

Postby bjf » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:10 pm

OK, so I am in a predicament and I need some advice. I've been complete since February and I haven't heard anything from admissions since my complete e-mail on 2/2. I called the school last week and was told that I would hear something soon, but they didn't look up my file or go into specifics. I have not received any correspondence indicating that I have been deferred, placed on hold or waitlisted. I know that to some people 9 weeks isn't a long time to wait, but many people that applied after me have heard back already. What should I do? Should I send a LOCI or another recommendation letter, or just sit tight and see what happens?

sunshinefairy

Postby sunshinefairy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:14 pm

bjf wrote:OK, so I am in a predicament and I need some advice. I've been complete since February and I haven't heard anything from admissions since my complete e-mail on 2/2. I called the school last week and was told that I would hear something soon, but they didn't look up my file or go into specifics. I have not received any correspondence indicating that I have been deferred, placed on hold or waitlisted. I know that to some people 9 weeks isn't a long time to wait, but many people that applied after me have heard back already. What should I do? Should I send a LOCI or another recommendation letter, or just sit tight and see what happens?

If it makes you feel any better, I've been complete since 2/9 and haven't heard anything either. =)

bjf

Postby bjf » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:31 pm

I really hope we hear something soon, sunshinefairy. I'm beginning to think I'm not going to LS next year..

ericng314

Postby ericng314 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:37 pm

Just wondering if MSP recipients get any additional scholarships?

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:38 pm

ericng314 wrote:Just wondering if MSP recipients get any additional scholarships?

what do you mean when you say additional....additional to what? MSP is not a scholarship. I got a merit scholly.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:40 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:http://www.law.com/jsp/law/careercenter/lawArticleCareerCenter.jsp?id=1208256428026

lol...you're so shady...i love it! :D

Rutgers1L_10

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:20 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:you can't scare me, Rutgers1L_10. :)

Yes I can. I just did!
I can see you hiding, and rocking in the corner!

BTW--I'll try and answer you questions BUT--this is a big BUT

I am sooooo drunk. I mean really really f'd up!
I just turned in my lawt LrW and man am I DRUNK!!
:-)
here goe

Rutgers1L_10

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:23 pm

get it to x wrote:Thanks for the detailed info Rutgers 1_L. At least I know what I might be getting myself into. I'm sure there's a way of getting through that 1st semester with part of your sanity intact and maybe some decent grades to boot as well.

Answer: Patron

and don't take yourself too seriously

Rutgers1L_10

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:26 pm

ericng314 wrote:I suggest all of us go purchase some rulers. For LRW, they make a big stink about 60 characters w/in 5 inches and also how there's like a set font type/size. Oi vey!

Anyone else here in MSP?

Shhhhh....don't tell anyone I told you
But Courier 11 pt font--EVERYTIME!!! No need to measure. It works 100%
And the LRW TA's are brutal with the stylistic rquiemnents
you will hate citations bluebooking and evrything about lrw--it's 90% of your 1L stress
If you thought you wanted to be n the journal you will rethink it after LRW starts. You wont even be sure you know how to read let along know you can be on journal.LRW makes you feel illiterate

Rutgers1L_10

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:27 pm

wizoz wrote:

Anyone else here in MSP?

Lovaholic and I are the only 2 I know are in MSP...

I'm not sure about EVERY single one but it seems if you want the 1L internship, I'm guessing you'll have to. Maybe Rutgers_1L's friend in MSP can shed light?

you are supposed to go to every one and they take attendance and give it to the dean. you're also suppodes to do weekly homeork hypos and they give thos to the dean to

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”