Rutgers Newark

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
inSouthAmerica

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby inSouthAmerica » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:13 pm

keg411 wrote:I <3 inSouthAmerica

aww... well... shucks! come to RU-N and we can be real world friends!

kissy

Postby kissy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:03 pm

keg411 wrote:
kissy wrote:that's not what i was getting at

I can be seen in both threads :).

are you leaning towards one?

@inSouthAmerica: is NYC really that unattainable from ru-c?

LayingDownDaLaw

Postby LayingDownDaLaw » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:17 pm

Wow - April 1 is approaching - I had a 156 with 3.76 LSAC GPA. Went complete in December 09' and have still heard nothing besides the deferment email, which said they were putting me off into March. I was told I'd have a decision by mid-to-late March on the phone and still no decision. I also received an email last week that Rutgers has been swamped with application and is going as fast as they can to make a decision.

I'm just wondering where I am at right now. It's going to be April 1 and the deadline will be reached. I must be on the bubble badly. Maybe, Rutgers-Newark is waiting to see who rejects and who accepts the school before they accept me...Would really love to get a different perspective on this. I thought my GPA would help out my LSAT score, but it looks like that may not be the case for this cycle.... ;(

mimi317

Postby mimi317 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:48 pm

LayingDownDaLaw wrote:Wow - April 1 is approaching - I had a 156 with 3.76 LSAC GPA. Went complete in December 09' and have still heard nothing besides the deferment email, which said they were putting me off into March. I was told I'd have a decision by mid-to-late March on the phone and still no decision. I also received an email last week that Rutgers has been swamped with application and is going as fast as they can to make a decision.

I'm just wondering where I am at right now. It's going to be April 1 and the deadline will be reached. I must be on the bubble badly. Maybe, Rutgers-Newark is waiting to see who rejects and who accepts the school before they accept me...Would really love to get a different perspective on this. I thought my GPA would help out my LSAT score, but it looks like that may not be the case for this cycle.... ;(

If they made you hang on for this long it's probably not for a rejection. I agree, they probably do want to see how many rejections they get before making more offers. I hope it works out.

mimi317

Postby mimi317 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Is anyone going to the April 17th barbecue?

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:52 pm

LayingDownDaLaw wrote:Wow - April 1 is approaching - I had a 156 with 3.76 LSAC GPA. Went complete in December 09' and have still heard nothing besides the deferment email, which said they were putting me off into March. I was told I'd have a decision by mid-to-late March on the phone and still no decision. I also received an email last week that Rutgers has been swamped with application and is going as fast as they can to make a decision.

Are you a URM? Do you live near Rutgers? If so, I'd go talk to the admissions office in-person. I did so before I submitted my application. I spoke to an ass't dean in January and we talked about the content of my future app. I didn't submit my app until early March and was admitted 2 weeks later.

msv5010

Postby msv5010 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:53 pm

I didn't hear about a barbecue. What are the details?

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:53 pm

mimi317 wrote:Is anyone going to the April 17th barbecue?

i didn't know there was a bbq? where is it and can i bring my husband? also, how'd u find out about it?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:23 pm

kissy wrote:
keg411 wrote:
kissy wrote:that's not what i was getting at

I can be seen in both threads :).

are you leaning towards one?

@inSouthAmerica: is NYC really that unattainable from ru-c?

Sunday I was leaning towards Camden; since I've kind of hedged back to Newark. The Philly bar passage rate in the SBA Camden blog bothered me a bit. It's not going to be reported to US News, so it won't make a difference in that regard, but in a "real world" thing, I have to admit it bugged.

I'm also not inSouthAmerica, but RU-C is really a Philly-area feeder school; not a NYC-area one. I wouldn't go to RU-C banking on New York; if you want the bigger market, Philadelphia is there focus.

And there is a bbq at RU-N??? I may have to put down a seat deposit just for that :D!!! (Seriously, I'm looking for more student life information on Newark anyway and my Camden date isn't until 5/1 anyway, so I might as well just deposit at Newark and eat it if I have to).

MIA

Postby MIA » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:25 pm

Health Insurance: Rutgers includes an extremely basic health plan in your tuition - its more like a required health fee than anything. I'm not sure about the specifics but you can call an ask Admissions. You then have the option of getting one of their extended real health insurance plans or getting a plan somewhere else. They don't force you to buy their health insurance plans.

Library Hours/School Hours: Library usually closes at 11pm, but stays open later during finals week. This would suck if it wasn't for the fact that the building is really open 24/7. Law students only have access to the building with their ID card until midnight; but once you are inside the building, no one kicks you out. I usually study in classrooms or tables around the school until like 3am, when I have LRW assignments due. During finals, there were a couple of times that I stayed in school all night. I really like the fact that they keep the classrooms accessible overnight.

Safety: I feel safe on campus. I've never had a problem walking outside of the building late at night and I always see cop cars circling the school and foot patrols. I really think the trouble makers try to stay away from Rutgers because of the heavy policy presence. I also haven't heard of anyone having safety issues on campus while being enrolled here.

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:45 pm

@kissy - im not a student yet, and i definitely think a rutgers camden student or graduate would be better to answer the question than i, but it seems that the common wisdom is that placement in biglaw nyc is difficult at either rutgers school, with rutgers newark placing twice as many, but still not a bankable sure thing amount, of their students in nyc. Rutgers1L_10 has been really good about posting information about this, and I believe s/he mentioned somewhere that Rutgers N is considered one of the 13 NYC metro area law schools that gets invited to NYC career fairs, increasing your chances. I dont know if Rutgers C is on this list and would be surprised if they are. in terms of the more realistic placement in NJ, common wisdom again seems to be that either Rutgers degree will probably work for anywhere in NJ, with perhaps small individual preferences at individual firms. it seems also that the common wisdom is that 15 years ago Rutgers N placed FAR more students in NYC and was considered the better law school. im an 0L so please take anything i say with a grain of salt. as my username suggests, i currently live in south america (though i hail from morris county) and havent even had the opportunity to visit either law school. i thank all of you on TLS that have been my eyes and ears in this decision process.
Last edited by inSouthAmerica on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LayingDownDaLaw

Postby LayingDownDaLaw » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:46 pm

wizoz wrote:

Are you a URM? Do you live near Rutgers? If so, I'd go talk to the admissions office in-person. I did so before I submitted my application. I spoke to an ass't dean in January and we talked about the content of my future app. I didn't submit my app until early March and was admitted 2 weeks later.

No, I'm not a URM. I live in New Jersey, went to Rutgers-New Brunswick for my undergrad, and received a LoR from a Rutgers prof. I don't know if that stuff matters or not. Rutgers was my #1 choice and represented that on my application. I never went to the campus nor did I speak to anyone from the school. I feel like I'm bothering them...idk.

If I call, aren't I just being a desperate law school applicant that can't control myself?

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:49 pm

for the sake of prudent use of our ridiculously high new jersey taxpayer dollars i want to start a petition that says that anyone with a 3.76 gpa from our flagship state university should get into the law school. keep our smartest people in state! ¿who here is rooting hard for LayinDownDaLaw? ... I am.
Last edited by inSouthAmerica on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

renee15

Postby renee15 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:50 pm

Everyone remember to join the Facebook group! :)

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:55 pm

@MIA - thanks for the inside information on the law library hours! thats great stuff, you cant find that out from the website!

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:55 pm

LayingDownDaLaw wrote:
wizoz wrote:

No, I'm not a URM. I live in New Jersey, went to Rutgers-New Brunswick for my undergrad, and received a LoR from a Rutgers prof. I don't know if that stuff matters or not. Rutgers was my #1 choice and represented that on my application. I never went to the campus nor did I speak to anyone from the school. I feel like I'm bothering them...idk.

If I call, aren't I just being a desperate law school applicant that can't control myself?

I thought you were nearby so popping into see 'em doesn't make much sense. I literally just walked into the office..no scheduled appt or anything. Also, I don't see the point in calling if all you're going to say is please accept me. I wouldn't call unless i had something meaningful to say. If you're ever in the area though, go on a tour and introduce yourself. I think it's generally harder to say no to some1 nice u've met. Good luck to you! Hope it works out!

LayingDownDaLaw

Postby LayingDownDaLaw » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:03 pm

wizoz wrote:
I thought you were nearby so popping into see 'em doesn't make much sense. I literally just walked into the office..no scheduled appt or anything. Also, I don't see the point in calling if all you're going to say is please accept me. I wouldn't call unless i had something meaningful to say. If you're ever in the area though, go on a tour and introduce yourself. I think it's generally harder to say no to some1 nice u've met. Good luck to you! Hope it works out!

Well, I am close by actually....if 15 minutes away would fit your definition of close. Either way, I'm just gonna have to ride it out. I'm assuming you are going to Rutgers-Newark yourself?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:15 pm

Just found the career services blog if anyone cares.
http://rutgersnewarklawcso.blogspot.com/

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:02 am

[quote="MIA"]Health Insurance: Rutgers includes an extremely basic health plan in your tuition - its more like a required health fee than anything. I'm not sure about the specifics but you can call an ask Admissions. You then have the option of getting one of their extended real health insurance plans or getting a plan somewhere else. They don't force you to buy their health insurance plans.

Now THAT makes more sense. Thanks MIA.

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:05 am

inSouthAmerica wrote:@MIA - thanks for the inside information on the law library hours! thats great stuff, you cant find that out from the website!

Second that.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:48 am

LayingDownDaLaw wrote:
wizoz wrote:

Well, I am close by actually....if 15 minutes away would fit your definition of close. Either way, I'm just gonna have to ride it out. I'm assuming you are going to Rutgers-Newark yourself?

That's the plan. :D

Jerzeegirl

Postby Jerzeegirl » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:41 am

Still haven't heard from R-N. Sorry if this is already posted somewhere and I missed it, but can someone let me know when the first seat deposit is due? Is it possible to be admitted this late in the game?

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:49 am

the seat deposit due dates seem to fluctuate depending on the date of admittance. some people have gotten april 1 (like me: admitted december 22) and others admitted later have gotten them for april 15. i'd think if you are admitted after that (thats right; they owe you a decision on your app since you paid them for one) they allow something like a 10 day period for you to make your decision.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:29 pm

They would have a parade, except I'm pretty sure someone would get murdered during it...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”