Rutgers Newark

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Rutgers1L_10
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:09 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:21 pm

get it to x wrote:Rutgers_1L thanks for all the insightful information. It's really helping to inform my decision. Could you speak alittle more in-depth about employment out of Rutgers in the NY market? It seems like for the top of the class one has a decent shot at biglaw, but what about everybody else? Chances at mid-sized firms? I know you said several pages back that you're just beginning this process, but any info is greatly appreciated beyond what you've already stated.


@wizoz- the curve is between 2.9 and 3.01 officially

@get it to x- Here's my general take on getting a job. Getting a job is your job. You can't get a job anywhere if you don't apply. Many people seem to throw out phrases like X-school doesn't "place" it's students in this or that. Well, a school is not a temp agency. They don't call around and make appointments for you to get a job. What a school does, is have a couple of days where they open up their campus and allow a number of employers to view a large number of students for potential summer/full time jobs. Those employers include Law firms, gov't jobs, public interest jobs, and various corporation. Here's some brutal truth--since the down turn of the market many legal employers have pulled out of OCI at Rutgers. That means fewer employers are coming directly to the campus. Instead, they choose to attend larger consortia and legal fairs in NYC. Because Rutgers is considered among the 13 NYC metro law schools, the Rutgers law student are invited to attend these events (that's the good news). Just because they don't come to the school does not mean they choose to recruit less from the school. It just means it takes more leg work on the student's part to get an interview.

There are not a lot of large independent firms in NJ. Most of the NJ firms are just offices of NY firms (albeit fairly large 100-150+). For example some of the large NJ firms that recruit highly at Rutgers are McCarter English, Sills Cummis, Day Pitney and Latham and Watkins are all actually HQd in NY. But, not everyone wants to work in NYC. I know that's blasphemous to say on this board. But what many people call "biglaw" is a combination of uninformed information. Many Rutgers grads are quite successful getting jobs at these firms if they want them. There are a number of grads that want to work at firms in NYC. If you use the word "biglaw" to mean a large law firm of 100+ people in an office, where you will receive a 6 figure salary then the options are limitless. Your chances are not the same as they would be if you were a T-14 grad. But it's most certainly possible. If you are saying "biglaw" to be one of the Vault 100 firms then you really will need to be in the top of the class. That's not just because you're a Rutgers student it's because those firms are prestigious enough to only hire students that are the very top of their classes. Understand, that the person hiring you is likely a graduate of a T-14 and that carries a lot of weight.

Working at a law firm is kind of the "expected" path of most law students. But there are a lot of other jobs out there. I won't go into that, because that's not what you asked. Mid-sized firms in NJ for Rutgers students are pretty common. Most people that are from NJ and already know where they want to live (i.e. Princeton, Parsippany, Hackensack) prefer mid-sized firms because the pay is great, the environment is great, and the work load is manageable. I know working at "biglaw" (and excuse me if I chuckle to myself, because I think that's a dumb word) is kind of this blown-out of proportion idea, that too many future law students have. Most people that work in such types of law firms hate their lives, and can't wait to leave. The reason most people work in 500+ law firms is because they have monster debt that requires them to need that kind of job. Most Rutgers student graduate with a relatively low amount of debt and thus, I believe is the reason the word "biglaw" rarely comes up. But believe me there are people that work at the big, flashy, firms. If you have the opportunity to do it--which you should if you get decent grades--then you should take the opportunity. Some people at Rutgers have the grades and/or connections and they work at those firms. Some have neither and don't get the chance. But wherever people work it doesn't seem to be a necessity to earn $160k like it would be for students at other schools.

Rutgers (in my opinion) tries to shove the public interest route down everyone's throat because they know RU student's can afford to take jobs paying $50-$70k/yr (also federal LRAP plays a part). It's not for everyone, but they offer MANY jobs like this and I think it's worth at least trying it out. Federal Clerkships are such types of low paying jobs. But those are worth it because most people go on to work at firms of their choice or other places. I also think RU has a great relationship with gov't jobs like the Attorney General and US Atty's office because both are around the corner from the campus. Those are lower paying jobs that aren't anything to snub your nose at.

So for a regional school, if you want to work in the NJ/NY area you're going to do okay. If the market wasn't what it is I would say your chances of landing a large law firm job would be excellent. But now I'd say with top 50% of your class (3.0 GPA) your chances are 50/50 and increase exponentially with your GPA and connections (don't underestimate who you know). As a regional school your chances at a firm like Wachtell are microscopic. But, we do have a couple of professors that worked at Wachtell and they'll tell you that's not where you want to work, ever! So before you start thinking biglaw or bust make sure you talk to as many people as possible that work at these places. Compare it to mid and small firms. It's likely your chances at mid/small firms will be great especially if you show an interest early (1L summer and during the semester).
I hope I answered your question and didn't rant too much

wizoz
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:47 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby wizoz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:49 pm

Rutgers1L_10 wrote:
get it to x wrote:Rutgers_1L thanks for all the insightful information. It's really helping to inform my decision. Could you speak alittle more in-depth about employment out of Rutgers in the NY market? It seems like for the top of the class one has a decent shot at biglaw, but what about everybody else? Chances at mid-sized firms? I know you said several pages back that you're just beginning this process, but any info is greatly appreciated beyond what you've already stated.


@wizoz- the curve is between 2.9 and 3.01 officially

@get it to x- Here's my general take on getting a job. Getting a job is your job. You can't get a job anywhere if you don't apply. Many people seem to throw out phrases like X-school doesn't "place" it's students in this or that. Well, a school is not a temp agency. They don't call around and make appointments for you to get a job. What a school does, is have a couple of days where they open up their campus and allow a number of employers to view a large number of students for potential summer/full time jobs. Those employers include Law firms, gov't jobs, public interest jobs, and various corporation. Here's some brutal truth--since the down turn of the market many legal employers have pulled out of OCI at Rutgers. That means fewer employers are coming directly to the campus. Instead, they choose to attend larger consortia and legal fairs in NYC. Because Rutgers is considered among the 13 NYC metro law schools, the Rutgers law student are invited to attend these events (that's the good news). Just because they don't come to the school does not mean they choose to recruit less from the school. It just means it takes more leg work on the student's part to get an interview.

There are not a lot of large independent firms in NJ. Most of the NJ firms are just offices of NY firms (albeit fairly large 100-150+). For example some of the large NJ firms that recruit highly at Rutgers are McCarter English, Sills Cummis, Day Pitney and Latham and Watkins are all actually HQd in NY. But, not everyone wants to work in NYC. I know that's blasphemous to say on this board. But what many people call "biglaw" is a combination of uninformed information. Many Rutgers grads are quite successful getting jobs at these firms if they want them. There are a number of grads that want to work at firms in NYC. If you use the word "biglaw" to mean a large law firm of 100+ people in an office, where you will receive a 6 figure salary then the options are limitless. Your chances are not the same as they would be if you were a T-14 grad. But it's most certainly possible. If you are saying "biglaw" to be one of the Vault 100 firms then you really will need to be in the top of the class. That's not just because you're a Rutgers student it's because those firms are prestigious enough to only hire students that are the very top of their classes. Understand, that the person hiring you is likely a graduate of a T-14 and that carries a lot of weight.

Working at a law firm is kind of the "expected" path of most law students. But there are a lot of other jobs out there. I won't go into that, because that's not what you asked. Mid-sized firms in NJ for Rutgers students are pretty common. Most people that are from NJ and already know where they want to live (i.e. Princeton, Parsippany, Hackensack) prefer mid-sized firms because the pay is great, the environment is great, and the work load is manageable. I know working at "biglaw" (and excuse me if I chuckle to myself, because I think that's a dumb word) is kind of this blown-out of proportion idea, that too many future law students have. Most people that work in such types of law firms hate their lives, and can't wait to leave. The reason most people work in 500+ law firms is because they have monster debt that requires them to need that kind of job. Most Rutgers student graduate with a relatively low amount of debt and thus, I believe is the reason the word "biglaw" rarely comes up. But believe me there are people that work at the big, flashy, firms. If you have the opportunity to do it--which you should if you get decent grades--then you should take the opportunity. Some people at Rutgers have the grades and/or connections and they work at those firms. Some have neither and don't get the chance. But wherever people work it doesn't seem to be a necessity to earn $160k like it would be for students at other schools.

Rutgers (in my opinion) tries to shove the public interest route down everyone's throat because they know RU student's can afford to take jobs paying $50-$70k/yr (also federal LRAP plays a part). It's not for everyone, but they offer MANY jobs like this and I think it's worth at least trying it out. Federal Clerkships are such types of low paying jobs. But those are worth it because most people go on to work at firms of their choice or other places. I also think RU has a great relationship with gov't jobs like the Attorney General and US Atty's office because both are around the corner from the campus. Those are lower paying jobs that aren't anything to snub your nose at.

So for a regional school, if you want to work in the NJ/NY area you're going to do okay. If the market wasn't what it is I would say your chances of landing a large law firm job would be excellent. But now I'd say with top 50% of your class (3.0 GPA) your chances are 50/50 and increase exponentially with your GPA and connections (don't underestimate who you know). As a regional school your chances at a firm like Wachtell are microscopic. But, we do have a couple of professors that worked at Wachtell and they'll tell you that's not where you want to work, ever! So before you start thinking biglaw or bust make sure you talk to as many people as possible that work at these places. Compare it to mid and small firms. It's likely your chances at mid/small firms will be great especially if you show an interest early (1L summer and during the semester).
I hope I answered your question and didn't rant too much


Do you know anything about the Minority Student Program? Do you know how many students participate? What kind of 1L internships do MSP students get?

lovaholic
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:37 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby lovaholic » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:53 pm

wizoz wrote:
lovaholic wrote:
wizoz wrote:
wizoz wrote:I'm in with $! Also, I'm accepted into MSP. Anyone else in MSP?


Sucks...guess i'm the only 1.



I was accepted into MSP too! :) Congratulations on the acceptance and scholarship! I did not receive an email about $$ (I guess I was keeping my fingers crossed for some $$ from Newark since Camden surprised me with a small scholarship).

Either way- I am going to accept my Newark offer and hopefully be able to take the day off for that Open House.



That's awesome! Congrats on your acceptance and to MSP! BTW, have you heard of how many students are actually placed at private law firms through MSP? Is it paid (I'm hoping it is)?


I have not heard of actual numbers of placement-but I did find this online: http://www.sillscummis.com/about/diversity.asp
"Rutgers Law School Minority Student Program – Every summer we employ a first year minority law student from Rutgers – Newark with the goal of having that student come back to work in our summer program and eventually as a first year associate. "

Looks like it would be the kind of program Firms look for to meet their 'diversity' goals.

User avatar
Compaq1984
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby Compaq1984 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:45 am

currently "held" at RU-N...
received e-mail today tho updating my status...

the update was that there is NO UPDATE and will not likely be any update until May...(seriously)

this may be the end of my "waiting" at RU-N...

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby as stars burn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:52 am

Compaq1984 wrote:currently "held" at RU-N...
received e-mail today tho updating my status...

the update was that there is NO UPDATE and will not likely be any update until May...(seriously)

this may be the end of my "waiting" at RU-N...


I got the same e-mail. Oh joy.

User avatar
oberlin08
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:37 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby oberlin08 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:24 am

Compaq1984 wrote:currently "held" at RU-N...
received e-mail today tho updating my status...

the update was that there is NO UPDATE and will not likely be any update until May...(seriously)

this may be the end of my "waiting" at RU-N...



hmmm.. I've been on hold at RU-N and DIDNT get that email.....

bjf
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:28 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby bjf » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:19 am

I'm starting to wonder if I'm on hold. I haven't heard anything since I went complete 2/2.

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby as stars burn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:00 am

bjf wrote:I'm starting to wonder if I'm on hold. I haven't heard anything since I went complete 2/2.


Try e-mailing admissions. They're extremely backlogged right now, but they are the only school that has kept me updated on my app...maybe they have the wrong e-mail or something. Good luck everyone!

bjf
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:28 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby bjf » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:13 am

Yeah, maybe I should. I guess I'm just nervous to draw attention to it...I really want to get in!

beast510
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:30 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby beast510 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:03 pm

I'm gonna pay Rutgers - Newark $300 this Friday, if I don't get into Chicago - Kent this week.

User avatar
renee15
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby renee15 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:31 pm

beast510 wrote:I'm gonna pay Rutgers - Newark $300 this Friday, if I don't get into Chicago - Kent this week.


Yeah I will be doing the same...Might wait til after the visit to make sure I like it though! :) But all in all I am hearing good things...

CSKNJ
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:36 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby CSKNJ » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:40 pm

I've been accepted to both Rutgers Newark and Camden. Some of the stats I've read suggest that Camden may be the better school, but not by much. It seems like it really comes down to where you want to work after school. Newark is within the NY sphere of influence whereas Camden is really a Philly school? Is there any truth to this?

User avatar
nyjfanjmk
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby nyjfanjmk » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:43 pm

renee15 wrote:
beast510 wrote:I'm gonna pay Rutgers - Newark $300 this Friday, if I don't get into Chicago - Kent this week.


Yeah I will be doing the same...Might wait til after the visit to make sure I like it though! :) But all in all I am hearing good things...


Think I probably will as well; I was impressed by what I heard and saw at the small group meeting last night. By the way, who's going to the open house this Friday? I'm strongly considering it given the fact that it seems to involve a lot of interaction between prospective and current students, which should provide a good perspective on the school.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:59 pm

CSKNJ wrote:I've been accepted to both Rutgers Newark and Camden. Some of the stats I've read suggest that Camden may be the better school, but not by much. It seems like it really comes down to where you want to work after school. Newark is within the NY sphere of influence whereas Camden is really a Philly school? Is there any truth to this?


The general idea is Camden = South Jersey/Philly (it's right across the bridge) and Newark = North Jersey/NYC. Though I figure both are fairly portable around NJ (ie. if you want North Jersey you can get there from Camden and South Jersey you can get there from Newark). They're pretty much equals; Camden was ranked slightly higher last year, Newark was ranked higher "traditionally".

Rutgers1L_10
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:09 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:34 pm

CSKNJ wrote:I've been accepted to both Rutgers Newark and Camden. Some of the stats I've read suggest that Camden may be the better school, but not by much. It seems like it really comes down to where you want to work after school. Newark is within the NY sphere of influence whereas Camden is really a Philly school? Is there any truth to this?



I suggest if you've never visited Camden you should do so BEFORE deciding to attend!!!!

User avatar
inSouthAmerica
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby inSouthAmerica » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:41 pm

seconded.

User avatar
badpixie
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby badpixie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:10 pm

Rutgers1L_10 wrote:
CSKNJ wrote:I've been accepted to both Rutgers Newark and Camden. Some of the stats I've read suggest that Camden may be the better school, but not by much. It seems like it really comes down to where you want to work after school. Newark is within the NY sphere of influence whereas Camden is really a Philly school? Is there any truth to this?



I suggest if you've never visited Camden you should do so BEFORE deciding to attend!!!!


+1

Rutgers1L_10
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:09 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:11 pm

@wizoz

I'm not an MSP expert but this is what a friend of mine in MSP wrote for me to tell you

-It's about 60 students
-For every class you have there is a mandatory 1-1 1/2 hour facilitation (study group). So in the first semester you have 4 substantive classes (criminal law, property, torts, contracts) and 4 study groups (one for each class). The groups are "facilitated" by either a 2L or a 3L and the study groups are people that are in your track and have your professor. The facilitator is also supposed to have had your professor. The facilitators will give out hypos that you have to turn in weekly that are suppose to correspond to what you're going over in class. Some of them meet with your professor and keep up with what you're doing, some just use the syllabus.
-The facilitators are supposed have to earn a B+ or better to participate. Most of the facilitators were in MSP, but some just volunteered. Some are better than others.
-The Dean of the MSP looks at your attendance and if you turn the hypos in and then at the end of the fall semester they do mock interviews. They combine grades and interviews and attendance of the facilitations and determine which students will be picked for the summer internship program. The more internships they have to offer the more people will get in. But not everyone will get in. They don't tell you how many internships they have and they don't tell you how many people they will pick
-There's 4 types of internships law firm, public interest, government, corporation. If you get picked you rank your choices for the type of internship and they try and match you
-They send you out on an interview and you may or may not get hired by that employer
-If you elect to participate in the summer internship program you are required to take a job from the program.
-Not every law firm will pay you the same amount that they pay all the other summer associates, but most make competitive pay at the law firms or the corporations

From what I've heard there are some great jobs available and some places have a really good rapport with the MSP and Rutgers. There's some alumni working in firms and such that were in MSP so it's kind of like an automatic network. The bad things I've heard is that some of the law firm jobs can become more like "diversity" fellowships instead of actual summer associate jobs. So you'll have the same job but not make the same $$ because you'll be getting paid a stipend that's paid by Rutgers, not the firm. So yeah, this does sound a bit like a firm's way of getting their diversity needs met. They get to hire a student basically for free. But you still get paid, you still get experience, you still make connections so take that for what it's worth. In this economy everyone could use a hand.

It doesn't seem like some kind of minority handout. From what I hear the facilitations and some of the other mandatory MSP events can make the semester much harder. You basically have more classes, less time, and weekly assignments, that other student's don't. Also MSP isn't only for blacks or latinos (and I'm not assuming you're either, but a lot of retards at our school think badly of MSP because they think it's some kind of automatic paycheck for blacks). I have friends in this year's MSP and I know upperclassmen that were admitted to MSP for things other than just being black/latino. They have good and bad things to say about the program. Most of them enjoy it and say it's a helpful program. They had a separate 2 week long orientation before general orientation and it seemed like they really knew a lot of people and knew their way around more by the time school started. I actually formed a study group and 2 students were in MSP and because they have a study group led by an upperclassmen they have some really interesting ideas and good info.

I think some people that hear about MSP at Rutgers have the wrong idea about it. Most people think it's how minorities got into Rutgers and don't know that you can't get in until you're admitted first but the Dean actually says that at general orientation. There's also some misconceptions that MSP students get access to the tests. The funny thing is the professors post their old exams on line and will show you a model answer in office hours--so technically, everyone has access to the tests. I've made it a point to make friends with lots of people and I don't really think MSP is something negative, but I do think that you're going to have interactions with ignorant people that will say stuff about MSP. But those people would probably say stupid stuff about any minority students at any program. Some people have said inaccurate things about MSP in class and I've had (and heard of) professors correcting them.

User avatar
inSouthAmerica
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby inSouthAmerica » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:50 pm

@Rutgers_1L - thats all well and good about MSP helping kids out, but do you find that rutgers employment statistics may be higher than they actually are (for non-minority students) meaning if you happen to be a white student you get passed up because firms are primarily coming to rutgers specifically to hit their "diversity quotas" (a la Howard)? not being a minority, i dont want to go to a professional school for 3 years on the basis of employment statistics that wont be true for me because the minority students get hired at significant cost to the non-minority students. hope that makes sense and isn't inflammatory.

wizoz
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:47 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby wizoz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:06 pm

Rutgers1L_10 wrote:@wizoz

I'm not an MSP expert but this is what a friend of mine in MSP wrote for me to tell you

-It's about 60 students
-For every class you have there is a mandatory 1-1 1/2 hour facilitation (study group). So in the first semester you have 4 substantive classes (criminal law, property, torts, contracts) and 4 study groups (one for each class). The groups are "facilitated" by either a 2L or a 3L and the study groups are people that are in your track and have your professor. The facilitator is also supposed to have had your professor. The facilitators will give out hypos that you have to turn in weekly that are suppose to correspond to what you're going over in class. Some of them meet with your professor and keep up with what you're doing, some just use the syllabus.
-The facilitators are supposed have to earn a B+ or better to participate. Most of the facilitators were in MSP, but some just volunteered. Some are better than others.
-The Dean of the MSP looks at your attendance and if you turn the hypos in and then at the end of the fall semester they do mock interviews. They combine grades and interviews and attendance of the facilitations and determine which students will be picked for the summer internship program. The more internships they have to offer the more people will get in. But not everyone will get in. They don't tell you how many internships they have and they don't tell you how many people they will pick
-There's 4 types of internships law firm, public interest, government, corporation. If you get picked you rank your choices for the type of internship and they try and match you
-They send you out on an interview and you may or may not get hired by that employer
-If you elect to participate in the summer internship program you are required to take a job from the program.
-Not every law firm will pay you the same amount that they pay all the other summer associates, but most make competitive pay at the law firms or the corporations

From what I've heard there are some great jobs available and some places have a really good rapport with the MSP and Rutgers. There's some alumni working in firms and such that were in MSP so it's kind of like an automatic network. The bad things I've heard is that some of the law firm jobs can become more like "diversity" fellowships instead of actual summer associate jobs. So you'll have the same job but not make the same $$ because you'll be getting paid a stipend that's paid by Rutgers, not the firm. So yeah, this does sound a bit like a firm's way of getting their diversity needs met. They get to hire a student basically for free. But you still get paid, you still get experience, you still make connections so take that for what it's worth. In this economy everyone could use a hand.

It doesn't seem like some kind of minority handout. From what I hear the facilitations and some of the other mandatory MSP events can make the semester much harder. You basically have more classes, less time, and weekly assignments, that other student's don't. Also MSP isn't only for blacks or latinos (and I'm not assuming you're either, but a lot of retards at our school think badly of MSP because they think it's some kind of automatic paycheck for blacks). I have friends in this year's MSP and I know upperclassmen that were admitted to MSP for things other than just being black/latino. They have good and bad things to say about the program. Most of them enjoy it and say it's a helpful program. They had a separate 2 week long orientation before general orientation and it seemed like they really knew a lot of people and knew their way around more by the time school started. I actually formed a study group and 2 students were in MSP and because they have a study group led by an upperclassmen they have some really interesting ideas and good info.

I think some people that hear about MSP at Rutgers have the wrong idea about it. Most people think it's how minorities got into Rutgers and don't know that you can't get in until you're admitted first but the Dean actually says that at general orientation. There's also some misconceptions that MSP students get access to the tests. The funny thing is the professors post their old exams on line and will show you a model answer in office hours--so technically, everyone has access to the tests. I've made it a point to make friends with lots of people and I don't really think MSP is something negative, but I do think that you're going to have interactions with ignorant people that will say stuff about MSP. But those people would probably say stupid stuff about any minority students at any program. Some people have said inaccurate things about MSP in class and I've had (and heard of) professors correcting them.


Thanks; this is gr8 info and exactly what I needed. From what you say, this program sounds pretty terrific to me.

@ Lovaholic...are you going to accept your MSP acceptance? BTW, I can't make it to Orientation this Friday. If you're going, would you please post about the event here?

CSKNJ
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:36 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby CSKNJ » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:14 pm

I suggest if you've never visited Camden you should do so BEFORE deciding to attend!!!!

I'm from South Jersey. I know Camden is a shit hole. If I go there I'm getting a place in Philly and basically acting as if I went to a Philly school. PATCO has a stop on campus. Us Jersey kids no what it's like to be in a millionaire's town one second and a ghetto the next.

Rutgers1L_10
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:09 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:40 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:@Rutgers_1L - thats all well and good about MSP helping kids out, but do you find that rutgers employment statistics may be higher than they actually are (for non-minority students) meaning if you happen to be a white student you get passed up because firms are primarily coming to rutgers specifically to hit their "diversity quotas" (a la Howard)? not being a minority, i dont want to go to a professional school for 3 years on the basis of employment statistics that wont be true for me because the minority students get hired at significant cost to the non-minority students. hope that makes sense and isn't inflammatory.


Rutgers is not Howard!! i don't mean to say that in a demeaning way.
Howard has it's mission, Rutgers has its. Employers recognize the difference.
Employers look at grades. You don't get into OCI based on participation into MSP. What MSP does is only for a few 1Ls. They don't have anything to do with OCI or employment for 2L or 3Ls.
Your resume and your grades are the only things employers see when they decide to grant you an interview. If you don't get a job it has nothing to do with MSP, minorities, or any other kind of system. It's about a match between the employer and the student.
Rutgers employment statistics are based on the fact that they have a fantastic reputation in one of the nation's largest legal markets. There are about 180 students in each class, and about 130-150 employers at OCI. I can't verify it but I would imagine it's as accurate at RU as it is at any school.

If anything I think the statistics for minority recruiting at Rutgers may be higher because employers only have to state a diversity goal, there's nothing saying they have to hire minorities from any school where they do OCI. so firms could say they hire from minority schools and programs and only mean that they participate in OCI, but don't actually choose any associates. Basically pay the programs lip service.

I understand your concern, but when it's all said and done there's still less minorities at the School and people still flock to Rutgers year after year so something must be going well. People seem to be under the impression that law firms are running rampant with minorities from all of these diversity initiatives. If you take a look at the numbers (NALP) you'll see that firms with 500+ people only have 5 or 6 minority associates. That doesn't sound like too many white kids are getting bumped.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:37 pm

CSKNJ wrote:
I suggest if you've never visited Camden you should do so BEFORE deciding to attend!!!!

I'm from South Jersey. I know Camden is a shit hole. If I go there I'm getting a place in Philly and basically acting as if I went to a Philly school. PATCO has a stop on campus. Us Jersey kids no what it's like to be in a millionaire's town one second and a ghetto the next.


+1 except I'm from North Jersey.

User avatar
sunshinefairy
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:47 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby sunshinefairy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:15 pm

as stars burn wrote:
Compaq1984 wrote:currently "held" at RU-N...
received e-mail today tho updating my status...

the update was that there is NO UPDATE and will not likely be any update until May...(seriously)

this may be the end of my "waiting" at RU-N...


I got the same e-mail. Oh joy.


I don't think anyone is holding me. What does that even mean? My application status checker has said "file complete" for months....I've gotten no emails, no updates, no communication - so this isn't normal?

msv5010
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby msv5010 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:45 pm

Has anyone who plans on attending started looking at housing yet? Find anything reasonable or have any thoughts on the topic? I'm not positive I'm attending yet but I did send in my deposit so I'm trying to get an idea about housing. I'm not trying to live in campus housing but I would like to stay within 15-20 minutes. I live in Essex County but I'm at school so I can't really do any research beyond the internet. Rutgers1L, if you have any insight it would be really helpful. Thanks.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andpeggy, Baby Gaga, bloomsday, lawnerd87, piesandcookies, ThorB, zihua and 13 guests