Rutgers Newark

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
badpixie

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby badpixie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:29 pm

get it to x wrote:Any updates pixie or anyone else from today's batch? Good luck!

Nothing yet. I did notice that the Status Date is actually tomorrow's date (3/18), not today's date. Ugh!

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:29 pm

badpixie wrote:
get it to x wrote:Any updates pixie or anyone else from today's batch? Good luck!

Nothing yet. I did notice that the Status Date is actually tomorrow's date (3/18), not today's date. Ugh!

Maybe just an administrative mistake? Maybe they're taking a long lunch before getting those e-mails out!

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:47 pm

I'm in with $20K/year!!

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Ditto. Nice start to St. Patrick's Day.

renee15

Postby renee15 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:07 pm

badpixie wrote:I'm in with $20K/year!!

Congrats! Are you planning on attending in the fall?

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:11 pm

renee15 wrote:
badpixie wrote:I'm in with $20K/year!!

Congrats! Are you planning on attending in the fall?

I still need to hear from a few other schools, see if I get in with scholarship $ before I decide. This is only my 2nd decision out of 14 applications.

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:49 pm

anyone want to estimate what tuition will be throughout our three years with chris christie on his knees blowing the devil?

getmetolawschool

Postby getmetolawschool » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:55 pm

Just withdrew but still happy to come back and answer any q's about living in Hoboken if you need help! Good luck everyone!

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:58 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:anyone want to estimate what tuition will be throughout our three years with chris christie on his knees blowing the devil?

Ugh. Maybe I'll got to Rutgers-Newark just so I can try and work on Corey Booker's campaign :D.

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:12 pm

my mothers an educator at an NJ public and shes estimating 10% a year increases. fwiw.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:03 pm

I'm in with $! Also, I'm accepted into MSP. Anyone else in MSP?

renee15

Postby renee15 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:54 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:anyone want to estimate what tuition will be throughout our three years with chris christie on his knees blowing the devil?

haha It could be worse. We could be paying 40K a year. At Suffolk. (I was admitted with NO $..totally ripped off.. and I believe it's up to 42K or something? Thank god I had no real intention of going there..who the hell would pay that???). Compared to that...even w/ increases Rutgers sounds like a bargain!

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:10 am

renee15 wrote:

haha It could be worse. We could be paying 40K a year. At Suffolk. (I was admitted with NO $..totally ripped off.. and I believe it's up to 42K or something? Thank god I had no real intention of going there..who the hell would pay that???). Compared to that...even w/ increases Rutgers sounds like a bargain!

I got the same offer... Suffolk at sticker... I quickly withdrew. If I'm going to pay sticker, i'm doing it at a T2 school.

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:17 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111208

Obviously on this thread, contributing poll results may be biased, but I'm still curious to see what people think.

renee15

Postby renee15 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:31 am

bernie shmegma wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111208

Obviously on this thread, contributing poll results may be biased, but I'm still curious to see what people think.

I voted. Even though I am headed to RU-N, and voted for RU-N, I do think it is the best choice. I am not sure all that debt at Cardozo would be a great choice. And I dont know...there is alot of Seton Hall hate around the forum it seems. I think Rutgers will probably get you the most for your money. Maybe see you in the fall!

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:18 pm

wizoz wrote:I'm in with $! Also, I'm accepted into MSP. Anyone else in MSP?

Sucks...guess i'm the only 1.

lovaholic

Postby lovaholic » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:18 pm

wizoz wrote:

I was accepted into MSP too! :) Congratulations on the acceptance and scholarship! I did not receive an email about $$ (I guess I was keeping my fingers crossed for some $$ from Newark since Camden surprised me with a small scholarship).

Either way- I am going to accept my Newark offer and hopefully be able to take the day off for that Open House.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:22 pm

lovaholic wrote:
wizoz wrote:

I was accepted into MSP too! :) Congratulations on the acceptance and scholarship! I did not receive an email about $$ (I guess I was keeping my fingers crossed for some $$ from Newark since Camden surprised me with a small scholarship).

Either way- I am going to accept my Newark offer and hopefully be able to take the day off for that Open House.

That's awesome! Congrats on your acceptance and to MSP! BTW, have you heard of how many students are actually placed at private law firms through MSP? Is it paid (I'm hoping it is)?

bjf

Postby bjf » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:42 am

I had a dream last night that I was admitted..

Mabye I'll get a decision today :wink:

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:32 am

renee15 wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111208

I voted. Even though I am headed to RU-N, and voted for RU-N, I do think it is the best choice. I am not sure all that debt at Cardozo would be a great choice. And I dont know...there is alot of Seton Hall hate around the forum it seems. I think Rutgers will probably get you the most for your money. Maybe see you in the fall!

The chances are very likely that I will see you in the fall. Did you have similar choices if you don't mind me asking? It is hard to not go with the highest ranked/"best school" one gets in to... That is my dilemma. I have undermined this idea of any of these schools really being "better" than any other though. Cardozo gives me a tough time with this rationalization for several reasons, one being the clinical variety they provide and quantity of interesting opportunities.

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:41 am

bernie shmegma wrote:
renee15 wrote:

The chances are very likely that I will see you in the fall. Did you have similar choices if you don't mind me asking? It is hard to not go with the highest ranked/"best school" one gets in to... That is my dilemma. I have undermined this idea of any of these schools really being "better" than any other though. Cardozo gives me a tough time with this rationalization for several reasons, one being the clinical variety they provide and quantity of interesting opportunities.

IMHO...deciding on schools based on "rank" is a bad idea... You should consider where you want to practice and how much debt you are willing to take on... For instance, if you want to practice in NYC then Cardozo will likely give you a better chance of securing a NYC job(compared to RU-N). Although this does come at a cost ($$$). If your indifferent about practice areas then you should consider the $$$ factor... again, just my opinion but I don't think law firms check USNews when they are sifting through resumes. They check their associate roster and see who performs and where they went... Simple enough...

GL...

renee15

Postby renee15 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:46 am

bernie shmegma wrote:
renee15 wrote:

Slightly...originally on my list to apply to I had Cardozo/Brooklyn ect. But I wound up not applying to them...mostly because I figured I wouldn't get $. I mostly applied to state schools where I knew I would get in-state...I am interested in Villanova but I didn't get money, and honestly I don't think it is worth the extra money...not having a ton of debt is important to me...some people will tell you to go to the highest ranked school you get into, and I think this reigns true in some respects (say a T14 vs. a school like Rutgers)...but after that I think less debt is important, as well as location. In other words...I went with what I thought was the best value...a combo of price and reputation...which I think Rutgers has within it's region.

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:56 am

renee15 wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:
renee15 wrote:

Slightly...originally on my list to apply to I had Cardozo/Brooklyn ect. But I wound up not applying to them...mostly because I figured I wouldn't get $. I mostly applied to state schools where I knew I would get in-state...I am interested in Villanova but I didn't get money, and honestly I don't think it is worth the extra money...not having a ton of debt is important to me...some people will tell you to go to the highest ranked school you get into, and I think this reigns true in some respects (say a T14 vs. a school like Rutgers)...but after that I think less debt is important, as well as location. In other words...I went with what I thought was the best value...a combo of price and reputation...which I think Rutgers has within it's region.

I certainly agree... RU-N gives you great job opps throughout NJ and also there is def chance of employment in NYC. Not to mention their $$$ is low... It also goes without saying that you probably wouldn't/shouldn't turn down a T14 in favor of a T2 but thats not the case... IMO, anything outside say the TOP 20 or so is generally regional. Although it may be a "larger" region, they are still somewhat limited... FI, a Cardozo degree doesnt hold much weight outside of NYC region and FI, a WUSTL degree would not do much for the grad outside of the MIDWEST...

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:59 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:bernie shmegma wrote:

you got a decent amount of money at brooklyn so that its not a terrible choice. sticker at cardozo is a terrible choice... attending seton hall is a terrible choice. the difference between rutgers and brooklyn, other than the (arbitrary) ranking, is that rutgers holds down its home region and state whereas brooklyns left with the scraps fighting with all the T14 (including columbia, nyu, cornell) + fordham, cardozo, st. johns, cuny, syracuse, albany, buffalo AND rutgers-newark... i dunno stop me if i missed one... it seems more logical to go to rutgers newark and have nyc be your dream come true with NJ as a solid solid reality, than to go to brooklyn and be up the creek if youre not in the top 4% of your class.
Last edited by inSouthAmerica on Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

renee15

Postby renee15 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:50 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:
Compaq1984 wrote:bernie shmegma wrote:

you got a decent amount of money at brooklyn so that its not a terrible choice. sticker at cardozo is a terrible choice... attending seton hall is a terrible choice. the difference between the rutgers and brooklyn, other than the (arbitrary) ranking, is that rutgers holds down its home region and state whereas brooklyns left with the scraps fighting with all the T14 (including columbia, nyu, cornell) + fordham, cardozo, st. johns, cuny, syracuse, albany, buffalo AND rutgers-newark... i dunno stopped me if i missed one... it seems more logical to go to rutgers newark and have nyc be your dream come true with NJ as a solid solid reality, than to go to brooklyn and be up the creek if youre not in the top 4% of your class.

you forgot Hofstra :)...I agree w/ you though...I would LOVE to work in NYC when I am done...if it happens, great, if not, I wind up in NJ...no big deal. I will take the best job I can get. I mean...do what you think is best...ultimately it is your choice...I definitely agree Cardozo at sticker is scary and you may regret it. You should definitely narrow down between RU-N and Brooklyn.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”