Rutgers Newark

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Just got back from the small group event and it was really really really great. I went to visit DePaul over the weekend and pretty much everything about Rutgers blew me away. The law building is really really pretty -- it's a spiral shape with big windows and everything just looks new and modern. The discussion was centered mainly around the first year program and the clinics and then there was a quick Financial Aid overview. We also sat in on a Criminal class and the teacher was quite good (it was pretty much lecture with questions and volunteering). I would go into more detail, but my brain is completely fried since I worked all day.

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby king3780 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:40 pm

keg411 wrote:Just got back from the small group event and it was really really really great. I went to visit DePaul over the weekend and pretty much everything about Rutgers blew me away. The law building is really really pretty -- it's a spiral shape with big windows and everything just looks new and modern. The discussion was centered mainly around the first year program and the clinics and then there was a quick Financial Aid overview. We also sat in on a Criminal class and the teacher was quite good (it was pretty much lecture with questions and volunteering). I would go into more detail, but my brain is completely fried since I worked all day.


Oh, is that why there were people sitting in my crim class tonight? That was a tame class. I'm not sure if the Prof knows we all have a memo due in LRW this week and was just being nice, but she's usually a bit more Socratic. But yes, she's a good prof.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:27 am

king3780 wrote:
keg411 wrote:Just got back from the small group event and it was really really really great. I went to visit DePaul over the weekend and pretty much everything about Rutgers blew me away. The law building is really really pretty -- it's a spiral shape with big windows and everything just looks new and modern. The discussion was centered mainly around the first year program and the clinics and then there was a quick Financial Aid overview. We also sat in on a Criminal class and the teacher was quite good (it was pretty much lecture with questions and volunteering). I would go into more detail, but my brain is completely fried since I worked all day.


Oh, is that why there were people sitting in my crim class tonight? That was a tame class. I'm not sure if the Prof knows we all have a memo due in LRW this week and was just being nice, but she's usually a bit more Socratic. But yes, she's a good prof.


That was us in the back :). I thought she was going to be Socratic at first since she seemed to be talking to someone down front for a bit in the beginning, but then she stopped that and went to more volunteering stuff. My only problem was that she was a little quiet and I had a lot of trouble hearing, but I can always remedy that when I actually go to school by sitting down front.

BTW, I was the girl in the blue-ish shirt that spent 95% of the time playing with her hair :lol:.

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby king3780 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:31 pm

keg411 wrote:BTW, I was the girl


You could have left it at that :) When you're the only girl, shirt color and what you're doing with your hair don't matter.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:23 pm

king3780 wrote:
keg411 wrote:BTW, I was the girl


You could have left it at that :) When you're the only girl, shirt color and what you're doing with your hair don't matter.


Haha true :lol:.

lovaholic
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:37 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby lovaholic » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:46 pm

sunshinefairy wrote:Completed the application the first week of February...still NOTHING! 153 LSAT, 3.81 GPA, out-of-state. You think I have any chance? :?


Better than mine! :) You're GPA is higher than mine (same LSAT)...but hang in there--we'll hear soon enough!

bjf
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:28 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby bjf » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:35 pm

I haven't heard anything either and was also complete the first week of Feb...applied PT. I really really want R-N! Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Last edited by bjf on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:05 pm

For those still waiting, Dean Walton mentioned last night that this cycle is extremely competitive, FWIW.

User avatar
ostaka
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:29 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby ostaka » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:35 pm

In today via email

User avatar
Compaq1984
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby Compaq1984 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:34 pm

ostaka wrote:In today via email


Congrats!!!

Im still waiting on RU-N but I got accepted to RU-C about a week ago...
GL the rest of the cycle!

User avatar
kartal
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby kartal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:29 pm

renee15 wrote:So i just got my initial offer from the Fin. Aid office....woohoo one step closer. Anyone else receive theirs? I put on my FAFSA that I am planning to live off campus but on the letter they sent me it says that they "assume I will be living on campus". I know you get in-state if you sign a 12 month lease on-campus, but from what I understand, I believe you get in-state if you sign a 12 mo. lease anywhere in NJ. Am I correct on this? I think I will call the office on Monday to make sense of it...not sure how negotiable any of this is.


Today, I talked to the Rutgers - Camden Admissions Office. They were also telling me all along that if you sign a 12-month lease and change your driver license to NJ before the 1L school year starts, then you get in-state tuition starting from 1L. But today they told me that the Rutgers main office in New Brunswick started cracking on both Rutgers Law Schools that they are not allowed to grant the residency for in-state tuition purpose before the end of first year. You can get the in-state tuition only for 2L and 3L. Actually, if you look at the New Jersey Statute, that is what it tells - you need min. 12 months before you establish your residency if you are out of stater.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:08 am

kartal wrote:
renee15 wrote:So i just got my initial offer from the Fin. Aid office....woohoo one step closer. Anyone else receive theirs? I put on my FAFSA that I am planning to live off campus but on the letter they sent me it says that they "assume I will be living on campus". I know you get in-state if you sign a 12 month lease on-campus, but from what I understand, I believe you get in-state if you sign a 12 mo. lease anywhere in NJ. Am I correct on this? I think I will call the office on Monday to make sense of it...not sure how negotiable any of this is.


Today, I talked to the Rutgers - Camden Admissions Office. They were also telling me all along that if you sign a 12-month lease and change your driver license to NJ before the 1L school year starts, then you get in-state tuition starting from 1L. But today they told me that the Rutgers main office in New Brunswick started cracking on both Rutgers Law Schools that they are not allowed to grant the residency for in-state tuition purpose before the end of first year. You can get the in-state tuition only for 2L and 3L. Actually, if you look at the New Jersey Statute, that is what it tells - you need min. 12 months before you establish your residency if you are out of stater.


Thanks for posting this- whether I can get the in-state tuition for 1L is a serious part of my decision and I had been sort of assuming that it would work out... I should ask the RU-Newark admissions office directly. It's a $10,500 difference, which is a lot of money if you ask me!

User avatar
Compaq1984
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby Compaq1984 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:45 am

kartal wrote:
renee15 wrote:So i just got my initial offer from the Fin. Aid office....woohoo one step closer. Anyone else receive theirs? I put on my FAFSA that I am planning to live off campus but on the letter they sent me it says that they "assume I will be living on campus". I know you get in-state if you sign a 12 month lease on-campus, but from what I understand, I believe you get in-state if you sign a 12 mo. lease anywhere in NJ. Am I correct on this? I think I will call the office on Monday to make sense of it...not sure how negotiable any of this is.


Today, I talked to the Rutgers - Camden Admissions Office. They were also telling me all along that if you sign a 12-month lease and change your driver license to NJ before the 1L school year starts, then you get in-state tuition starting from 1L. But today they told me that the Rutgers main office in New Brunswick started cracking on both Rutgers Law Schools that they are not allowed to grant the residency for in-state tuition purpose before the end of first year. You can get the in-state tuition only for 2L and 3L. Actually, if you look at the New Jersey Statute, that is what it tells - you need min. 12 months before you establish your residency if you are out of stater.


Great Info.. Thanks for posting...
How did it end (IYO)? Does it seem possible to get instate for 1L or is it not very likely?

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby king3780 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:03 am

Compaq1984 wrote:
kartal wrote:
renee15 wrote:So i just got my initial offer from the Fin. Aid office....woohoo one step closer. Anyone else receive theirs? I put on my FAFSA that I am planning to live off campus but on the letter they sent me it says that they "assume I will be living on campus". I know you get in-state if you sign a 12 month lease on-campus, but from what I understand, I believe you get in-state if you sign a 12 mo. lease anywhere in NJ. Am I correct on this? I think I will call the office on Monday to make sense of it...not sure how negotiable any of this is.


Today, I talked to the Rutgers - Camden Admissions Office. They were also telling me all along that if you sign a 12-month lease and change your driver license to NJ before the 1L school year starts, then you get in-state tuition starting from 1L. But today they told me that the Rutgers main office in New Brunswick started cracking on both Rutgers Law Schools that they are not allowed to grant the residency for in-state tuition purpose before the end of first year. You can get the in-state tuition only for 2L and 3L. Actually, if you look at the New Jersey Statute, that is what it tells - you need min. 12 months before you establish your residency if you are out of stater.


Great Info.. Thanks for posting...
How did it end (IYO)? Does it seem possible to get instate for 1L or is it not very likely?


If New Brunswick is cracking down, this must be a very recent development. I moved to NJ in June 2009, signed a 12 month lease and was given in-state tuition for the Fall 2009 semester.

User avatar
kartal
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby kartal » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:22 am

king3780 wrote:
Compaq1984 wrote:
kartal wrote:
renee15 wrote:So i just got my initial offer from the Fin. Aid office....woohoo one step closer. Anyone else receive theirs? I put on my FAFSA that I am planning to live off campus but on the letter they sent me it says that they "assume I will be living on campus". I know you get in-state if you sign a 12 month lease on-campus, but from what I understand, I believe you get in-state if you sign a 12 mo. lease anywhere in NJ. Am I correct on this? I think I will call the office on Monday to make sense of it...not sure how negotiable any of this is.


Today, I talked to the Rutgers - Camden Admissions Office. They were also telling me all along that if you sign a 12-month lease and change your driver license to NJ before the 1L school year starts, then you get in-state tuition starting from 1L. But today they told me that the Rutgers main office in New Brunswick started cracking on both Rutgers Law Schools that they are not allowed to grant the residency for in-state tuition purpose before the end of first year. You can get the in-state tuition only for 2L and 3L. Actually, if you look at the New Jersey Statute, that is what it tells - you need min. 12 months before you establish your residency if you are out of stater.


Great Info.. Thanks for posting...
How did it end (IYO)? Does it seem possible to get instate for 1L or is it not very likely?


If New Brunswick is cracking down, this must be a very recent development. I moved to NJ in June 2009, signed a 12 month lease and was given in-state tuition for the Fall 2009 semester.


Yes, I was told that this is a very recent development. Honestly, I am not surprised with this development after I read the NJ Statue. I believe that the Rutgers law schools were doing this at their own. If you look at all the other states (e.g. Ohio, Georgia, Florida) with more liberal residency requirements, none of them grant the in-state tuition at 1L if you are not the resident of their states for education purposes. They all start at L2. You can check with the Rutgers - Newark Law School admission office but do not count on what they may tell you. You may face the harsh reality when July comes, you sign the 12-month lease and they tell you "sorry". At the end, if they let yoo get in-state status at 1L, that is great but I would do my financial planning for 1L as I were paying the out-of-state tuition.

User avatar
Compaq1984
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby Compaq1984 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:42 am


Yes, I was told that this is a very recent development. Honestly, I am not surprised with this development after I read the NJ Statue. I believe that the Rutgers law schools were doing this at their own. If you look at all the other states (e.g. Ohio, Georgia, Florida) with more liberal residency requirements, none of them grant the in-state tuition at 1L if you are not the resident of their states for education purposes. They all start at L2. You can check with the Rutgers - Newark Law School admission office but do not count on what they may tell you. You may face the harsh reality when July comes, you sign the 12-month lease and they tell you "sorry". At the end, if they let yoo get in-state status at 1L, that is great but I would do my financial planning for 1L as I were paying the out-of-state tuition.


Thanks... Thats a bummer.. Of course this "crackdown" starts the year before we become 1Ls .... lol

User avatar
renee15
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby renee15 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:17 am

If this is true I am in serious trouble. I intended on going to Rutgers with the promise of in-state tuition. Considering the fact that my financial aid initial offer only covers enough for in-state tuition, I would have to borrow a lot in private funds, and that is a scary thought considering what I owe already. Has anyone contacted the Newark admissions office yet? I seriously hope this is not true!!!

User avatar
bklyngreenlp
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby bklyngreenlp » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:26 am

renee15 wrote:If this is true I am in serious trouble. I intended on going to Rutgers with the promise of in-state tuition. Considering the fact that my financial aid initial offer only covers enough for in-state tuition, I would have to borrow a lot in private funds, and that is a scary thought considering what I owe already. Has anyone contacted the Newark admissions office yet? I seriously hope this is not true!!!



I'm visiting Rutgers-Newark later this week. This issue is within my list of questions for them, so I'll be certain to post their response.

User avatar
renee15
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby renee15 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:32 am

bklyngreenlp wrote:
renee15 wrote:If this is true I am in serious trouble. I intended on going to Rutgers with the promise of in-state tuition. Considering the fact that my financial aid initial offer only covers enough for in-state tuition, I would have to borrow a lot in private funds, and that is a scary thought considering what I owe already. Has anyone contacted the Newark admissions office yet? I seriously hope this is not true!!!



I'm visiting Rutgers-Newark later this week. This issue is within my list of questions for them, so I'll be certain to post their response.


Fantastic; we will be waiting with bated breath. Although I may call sometime today. I am seriously worried about this!

User avatar
oberlin08
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:37 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby oberlin08 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:36 am

Have any of the deferred folks heard back yet?

aimee8686
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:35 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby aimee8686 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:44 am

Nope! Got an email March 1 saying my application was deferred and haven't heard anything. Hopefully I hear something before I make deposits for another school but I'm not holding my breath.

User avatar
oberlin08
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:37 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby oberlin08 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:58 am

aimee8686 wrote:Nope! Got an email March 1 saying my application was deferred and haven't heard anything. Hopefully I hear something before I make deposits for another school but I'm not holding my breath.



Really? i was thinking that they would let us know BY April 15th. It's not like we got outright waitlisted...

But maybe I'm totally off the mark here.

User avatar
Compaq1984
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby Compaq1984 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:34 pm

oberlin08 wrote:
aimee8686 wrote:Nope! Got an email March 1 saying my application was deferred and haven't heard anything. Hopefully I hear something before I make deposits for another school but I'm not holding my breath.



Really? i was thinking that they would let us know BY April 15th. It's not like we got outright waitlisted...

But maybe I'm totally off the mark here.


Hey j/w...approx. when did you guys apply to RU-N? I haven't received anything past the "app received" email so I'm not sure if this (not getting deferred/accept email) is a good thing or not...?

User avatar
oberlin08
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:37 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby oberlin08 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:50 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:
aimee8686 wrote:Nope! Got an email March 1 saying my application was deferred and haven't heard anything. Hopefully I hear something before I make deposits for another school but I'm not holding my breath.



Really? i was thinking that they would let us know BY April 15th. It's not like we got outright waitlisted...

But maybe I'm totally off the mark here.


Hey j/w...approx. when did you guys apply to RU-N? I haven't received anything past the "app received" email so I'm not sure if this (not getting deferred/accept email) is a good thing or not...?



I applied in October, got an email in January saying, "we read your file, but we cant make up our mind so we're waiting"

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:52 pm

I have the e-mail for the Financial Aid person if anyone has residency questions. I'm sure she's aware of it IF there is a change (everyone who went Monday was already a resident). Plus, Camden and Newark may have different policies.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”